The Lion, The Witch, And The DLP-Defend; A 4-4-2 Thread

Slightly off topic but still 4-4-2 related. If you use the TC to set up a standard 4-4-2 it puts the right sided striker on DLF and the right sided centre mid as a support/automatic.

Normally I'd look to have the the right or left striker, MC and DC all deeper than the opposit side to break lines and not have people running into the same space. Found it strange the TC would suggest the opposite in this case.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have problems with the "fake nine" - the player in the AMC slot (in 3 man midfield setups, like 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1 etc ) and that the DLP sometimes gets robbed of the ball and then the opposition gets a counter attack situation? these are my biggest problems. It might be so that this is connected to the level of quality of the players but i'm forced to pull back the DLF to man mark the oppositions most defensive midfielder so that the DLP or the AP do not run at him and leave a hole behind. That my DLP sometimes gets robbed of the ball i have not figured out how to prevent.

I find that the "fake nine" does at times have a fair bit of space, but sometimes you just have to live with little deficiencies in a tactic. Either that, or you have to adapt a new set-up to deal with it.

• 3 months later...

Hmm necro'ing this cos it's a really good read.

I usually run with a 4-4-2, because I find a 4-2-2-2 (AM Wingers) is asking for trouble in Fm13.

The only difference in my set up is I tend to do AP/S instead of AP/A. Mainly because I leave both wingers on W/A.

I am curious though, when do you use 'control'? Is it just to up the possession when you're at home and shading it at 55%? Or is it for when you already have 60+% of possession?

For me personally, if my tactic garners me 60-70% possession, I don't see the need to change the style. But still, I'm curious all the same.

Great thread Tom!

I've enjoyed success with a 4-4-2 in the past and, having recently found a earth shattering good Advance Forward regen, will be looking to move back towards this next season.

One thing i do find interesting with your tactic is how you got the DLP(D) and the AP(A) working together as, when i've tried this, i usually find that when the DLP wins the ball, the AP has made his run leaving the DLP isolated.

Is that a regular occurrence for you? Or, do the shouts you mentioned counteract that?

Once again, seriously great thread.

allyc31

Well, if you take a close look at the screenshots in the first couple of posts, you will see that the two central midfielders don't just stay together. Sure, they keep their shape when we defend, but they do of course split when we attack, and that's what is meant to happen.

The fact that a bit of a gap is left for the opposition to exploit on the counter is just part of the risk and reward of any realistic system.

• 2 weeks later...
How successful could you see this being in FM14 tomtuck01?

I found it a great success in 13 you see.

Can confirm there's no real difficulties with the formation or set up in Fm14 either TomTuck's specific method or variations of it.

I'd assume shorter, press more, drill cross, more cf and more roaming would be the standard tactical shouts.

Archived