Question about current and potential ability

buff111

Looking at the rating's of players, especially those who are young, show a current ability of XX and then, a potential ability of a negative number. For example, Joe Tait has a current ability of 86 and a potential ability of -6. Nicky Travis has a current ability of 81 and a potential ability of -5. How are these player's abilities to be read? Is this saying, he is at this level now and in the future expect this player's ability to decline by that amount? After playing the game over many years, I have found this isn't the case. If he is at XX, even with a negative potential ability rating, his abilities increase with age to a certain point, and then, with age, decline.

So, does anyone at SI know how to read potential ability parametric when it is a negative?

Minus numbers are used for players who's potential can not be pinpointed (which, in my opinion, should really be everybody but that's another debate).

-10 = 170-200

-9 = 150-180

-8 = 130-160

-7 = 110-140

etc...

It used to be 20 point increments but they chnaged it (for FM12 I think) so that there was a bigger range available for each.

Archived