Approaching Pre-Season - My take On It

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread Cleon :applause:

Once again easy to understand & really informative.

I didn't think there was such a simple answer to pre-season fitness as my team never became fluid in tactic familiarity prior to season start.

One quick question though.

Do the amount of english/foreign new signings pre-season affect the amount of cohesion.

If so, do you know by what pecentage?

Great thread !

I always do it like this :

Fittnes : high , less match training (teamwork) and rest before and after a game.

I do one week of fittnes without playing games.

Week 2 : two friendly's against poor teams :let everybody play 45 in each game (so i substitute the whole team after 45 mins)

week 3 : two friendly's against average teams : play my first eleven for 65 minutes and then change the whole team

week 4 : one friendly for the first team against a better team: my first eleven plays 90 minutes when it is possible. and one friendly for my second choices and they also play 90 minutes

week 5 : one friendly against one of the best teams possible, play them again 90 minutes.

When the season is about to start, i change training to Team cohesion ( next defending) - average

EPl or Lower league . i always have everybody fit and ready to go for a long season.

Great thread Cleon :applause:

Once again easy to understand & really informative.

I didn't think there was such a simple answer to pre-season fitness as my team never became fluid in tactic familiarity prior to season start.

One quick question though.

Do the amount of english/foreign new signings pre-season affect the amount of cohesion.

If so, do you know by what pecentage?

They do but I don't know the % because its not that simple. Each individual is different based on his hidden attributes. You can view in game though how people are settling in, I just use that to judge.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I ask a question on the training screen as ive set all my players either to train roles or individual stats do I now turn these off while I do pre season as the team training slider will be set to high and the other slider to max.?

I personally only have individual training for physical stats while on fitness training, as it is the only time of year I have the fitness training on. Individual training on top of the general setting makes for good improvements, and for young players with potential to burn can raise a physical weakness (low strength for example) quicker than you will see over the rest of season on a balanced team setting

Ok, so hopefully i haven't missed this;

Started a new save with Dortmund - We have 2 months until the first competitive match, and about 6 keys players away for another month on holiday.

1) Do I set fitness training to VERY HIGH straight from the start? Does it make my players more susceptible to injury? In previous FM12, I increased the intensity every week. Not sure what difference it made?

2) What do I do with all these players arriving in a month's time? They will have work to catch up on and I'm not sure how to integrate.

3) If my players will be fit within about 4-5 weeks, do I lower the fitness intensity for the remaining time?

None of my players are learning anything else during pre-season. And yes, do a Dortmund save Cleon! I'm using your 4-5-1 template from the understanding your tactic thread, rather than doing the usual 4-2-3-1. Not sure how condusive it is to pressing though.

Ok, so hopefully i haven't missed this;

Started a new save with Dortmund - We have 2 months until the first competitive match, and about 6 keys players away for another month on holiday.

1) Do I set fitness training to VERY HIGH straight from the start? Does it make my players more susceptible to injury? In previous FM12, I increased the intensity every week. Not sure what difference it made?

2) What do I do with all these players arriving in a month's time? They will have work to catch up on and I'm not sure how to integrate.

3) If my players will be fit within about 4-5 weeks, do I lower the fitness intensity for the remaining time?

None of my players are learning anything else during pre-season. And yes, do a Dortmund save Cleon! I'm using your 4-5-1 template from the understanding your tactic thread, rather than doing the usual 4-2-3-1. Not sure how condusive it is to pressing though.

1) Yeah they are at more of a risk of injuries but aslong as their condition doesn't get very low and you have physio's etc it should be fine. You'll find they won't be on the fitness side for long anyways, it should only be about 10-14 days before full fitness :)

2) They should already be match fit. You could give them a few extra weeks off if you can afford that luxury. If not just ensure they have full condition and aren't jaded.

3) They should be fit a lot sooner than 4-5 weeks. But yes once fitness is achieved you can lower the intensity and focus something else if you wanted. I normally do teamwork.

I really do want a save with them, still not had the time though. Nice to see you doing something other than the boring 4231 that everyone seems to use when them :D

I want to use a sweeper if I do use them though because Hummels and the other lad (forgot his name) would make great Libero's and allow to play out from the back.

Thanks for quick replies!

Yeah, I did consider using 3 at the back, but rather a flat 3, plus wing backs. Dortmund are well set up for that. But I couldn't resist using Reus in the IF/role, and Lewandowski is gonna be a great link up man with his passing. Shame I'll have to sell him end of season.

• 1 month later...
Don't fancy reading 112 posts to see if anyone has already mentioned this but since default focus is set to tactics shouldn't that mean you don't need to set it as individual match focus?

I don't fancy repeating what is already available in the opening posts. Read the thread because if you think the default focus is set to tactics then you didn't view the screenshot in the very first post or read any of the OP let alone any of the replies.

^ It's different, tactics on the general training is having general training focus on tactical attributes, if you want your team to work on your tactical familiarity then it has to be match prep training.

Pre-season I generally go Fitness + Tactics and then Team Cohesion + tactics.

^ It's different, tactics on the general training is having general training focus on tactical attributes, if you want your team to work on your tactical familiarity then it has to be match prep training.

Pre-season I generally go Fitness + Tactics and then Team Cohesion + tactics.

Thanks, you actually understood what i was asking.

Cleon do you tick the rest before match and rest after match option in the training screen during the full season

I only rest after matches, never before.

Thank you. On one of your training screenshot you do not have the rest after match option ticked during pre season. Would you ticked the rest after match option during pre season

Thank you. On one of your training screenshot you do not have the rest after match option ticked during pre season. Would you ticked the rest after match option during pre season

I think I mention it in the OP or one of the replies just after I think (if not I meant too). But I don't allow them rest at all in preseason, I need them to train and work hard to get back to fitness etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey cleon just a quick question (sorry if this has been mentioned but I don't remember reading it) do you do the same amount of pre-season friendlies and routine when you're a top club after a international tournament?

I do yeah :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Satchy
Do you put your general training as fitness throughout the whole pre season ?

You only need to do it until everyone is match fit.

Do you put your general training as fitness throughout the whole pre season ?

No. It is explained and written down what I do if you actually read the thread :)

Presumably you mean all season since you have no resting pre-season. So can I ask further about this: I manage a non-league side with mostly teenagers who have limited physical attributes. Is it better than they rest before and after games, or should I cram as much development/training in as I can while they are growing? I bring in kids who are as professional as possible, so hopefully they don't complain about heavy training, but will they be too suseptible to injuries?

Presumably you mean all season since you have no resting pre-season. So can I ask further about this: I manage a non-league side with mostly teenagers who have limited physical attributes. Is it better than they rest before and after games, or should I cram as much development/training in as I can while they are growing? I bring in kids who are as professional as possible, so hopefully they don't complain about heavy training, but will they be too suseptible to injuries?

Aye only for preseason no resting as you want to maximise their fitness and make sure they are fit. They don't need rest periods when doing this or it takes twice as long.

In your scenario if it was me I'd still only allow them rest after the game because you want to develop them the best you can plus they'd end up with too much rest during the season if you rested both before and after games. This wouldn't help you in the latter stages of the season at all as a lot of them would be unfit or not at full condition. Less training can actually see a rise in injuries especially little niggles picked up while in a game.

Very interesting thread, already made some changes in my new game. Quick question though, is there a specific reason for all your friendlies being away games or just random combined with the training camp? Thanks!

Very interesting thread, already made some changes in my new game. Quick question though, is there a specific reason for all your friendlies being away games or just random combined with the training camp? Thanks!

I was at a training camp so all games are away games as I was in a different country. :)

Aye only for preseason no resting as you want to maximise their fitness and make sure they are fit. They don't need rest periods when doing this or it takes twice as long.

In your scenario if it was me I'd still only allow them rest after the game because you want to develop them the best you can plus they'd end up with too much rest during the season if you rested both before and after games. This wouldn't help you in the latter stages of the season at all as a lot of them would be unfit or not at full condition. Less training can actually see a rise in injuries especially little niggles picked up while in a game.

Thanks a lot for this. I knew I was doing something wrong but couldn't put my finger on it. Turns out because I had so many friendlies my team was actually resting all the time because they were set to rest before and after :S.

• 2 months later...

Cleon, i just went back to re-read this thread as a reference as I hae started a new game and am going into pre-season. Dont know if it is just me but none of the images show in the original post. Is it possible to relink them?

cheers

The old hosts don't exist anymore and there is no way to get them back. The screenshots aren't vital though as I explain in the text what I do. All the screenshots showed really were the tactical familiarity bars all fluid and an overview of my fixture list.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great, can't believe I'm just finding this thread. One question: with no designated rest days, is it safe to assume players that aren't playing in the friendly match that day (with a heavy rotation being used on team selection) are, in fact, getting their rest day, and no further ones would be needed, and would not see a condition drop?

Tried this in FM14 and I am nowhere near full fluidity levels with just one tactic. I didn't have as many games I think like 7 as the Championship starts early but I should be closer than I am.

Have to agree and I played 10 friendlies and still nowhere near the FM13 results.

Gonna have to start again then. I've always had a suspicion myself that, the better the tactics coach the faster it gets familiarised too. I could and probably am, wrong.

Having just read your post it reminded me that in FM13 I had 5* coaches and in 14 I've only got 3 x 4* coaches Tony Roberts and Gerry Peyton for goalkeepers and Boro Primorac in Attacking.

So I will definitely be looking to upgrade my back room staff when the full edition comes out.

Have to agree and I played 10 friendlies and still nowhere near the FM13 results.

It still works fine, I've done it with 4 different clubs on the beta so far and its morealess all fluid by the first game depending how many friendlies I can fit it.

For those struggling make sure you aren't changing the tactic and settings during preaseason as this will knock it back down. Also have the match training set to 50%, select tactics for the match training.

Having just read your post it reminded me that in FM13 I had 5* coaches and in 14 I've only got 3 x 4* coaches Tony Roberts and Gerry Peyton for goalkeepers and Boro Primorac in Attacking.

So I will definitely be looking to upgrade my back room staff when the full edition comes out.

Coaches quality doesn't learn it faster at all. The only thing that impacts the speed is the amount of friendlies or training camp. Your issue might be you don't have a tactical expert coach.

It still works fine, I've done it with 4 different clubs on the beta so far and its morealess all fluid by the first game depending how many friendlies I can fit it.

For those struggling make sure you aren't changing the tactic and settings during preaseason as this will knock it back down. Also have the match training set to 50%, select tactics for the match training.

I set it up as I used to for FM13 and how you described above but, I have just checked my team training settings and for some reason my Asst Manager Steve Bould has taken charge of match training and was using defensive positioning.

I set it up as I used to for FM13 and how you described above but, I have just checked my team training settings and for some reason my Asst Manager Steve Bould has taken charge of match training and was using defensive positioning.

Have you changed it back now? It can be confusing with the new training options when having the very first meeting with the assistant after taking over a club, it could have happened then. I did the exact same on one of my saves.

Cleon - do you train two backup tactics in addition to your main tactic? Or only a single main tactic? Earlier in the thread I saw that using the same formation was best but I usually add backup tactics with different strategies for that formation also (eg counter, standard and control)

Cleon - do you train two backup tactics in addition to your main tactic? Or only a single main tactic? Earlier in the thread I saw that using the same formation was best but I usually add backup tactics with different strategies for that formation also (eg counter, standard and control)

Once I start the 2nd season yeah I normally do.

Backup tactics with the same formation or tactics that have different formations from each other? Doesn't a single tactic in the first season limit you or lose familiarity in a match if you change from control to standard for example during the match?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived