Bit of a goalkeeper dilemma - advice please

Right, bit of a tough one to figure out here; input from those who are good at shoestring budget management would be welcome. My current main save is with Genoa; just coming into my second season now. The main stumbling block here is that the club are stupidly, ridiculously in debt. Even after reducing my transfer budget to zero, I am still a fair bit above the wage bill, so obviously cost cutting should be a priority.

In my first season, my obvious first choice keeper was Sebastien Frey (3.5 stars for CA, 38k P/W salary). This did not prove problematic at the time and he had a solid, if unspectacular, year. However, at the end of the season, Eduardo Carvalho (o' Portugal fame) returned from loan at Benfica. He is rated 4 stars for CA and is paid 29.5k P/W salary.

Now, under ordinary, not-skint circumstances I would be happy to have two top keepers at the club and let them battle it out. However, as I really need to cut costs I can't afford to have two highly-paid players when only one will be playing. The club's poverty has really hamstrung me this pre-season as I haven't been able to bring in one new player.

Should I keep faith with Frey, who has proven he can do the business as first-choice, or trust the game's rating of Eduardo as half a star better? Based on consideration of attributes and pre-season form, there barely seems a thing to choose between them. Not an easy call to make!

If it was me, I would personally cash in on Frey whilst you can then bring in someone younger (unless you have a good youngster already) to work under Ricardo and then slowly bring him into the team over a couple of season's and phase Ricardo out. That's just me though.

If it was me, I would personally cash in on Frey whilst you can then bring in someone younger (unless you have a good youngster already) to work under Ricardo and then slowly bring him into the team over a couple of season's and phase Ricardo out. That's just me though.

my thoughts as well, definitely let go of Frey, even if you're rich, he will be unhappy if he's not playing, his value will drop, cash in while you can :)

Cheers for the advice, guys. Monaco came in with an offer of £1m for Frey so I decided to take the money. Don't have a hugely promising young keeper to bring through at present but I have a lad in the under 20s who's currently out on loan with 4 stars potential, and the player who has been promoted to second choice keeper is only 24 and has decent goalkeeping stats. We shall see how it goes...

Eduardo is clearly a weaker goalkeeper than Frey, just due to the latter's much stronger Composure and Concentration attributes. Eduardo, being a real player with 9 Concentration, is likely to be much less consistent and more error-prone. Frey will last at least 3 more years and is a good tutor iirc. The only thing in Eduardo's favour is really his low Eccentricity attribute, although 16 Eccentricity might be good if you use him as a sweeper keeper, but maybe his low Rushing Out negates that?

Archived