Match Engine Update 13.2.1 - ME 1325 Constructive feedback here please

This is why this ME annoys me so much , stupid little things like this .

[video=youtube;hrFamRveJi8]

And the reason i posted this earlier

"I actually think the root of the problem in this years ME is the AI code is poor at defensive decision making/ spacial awareness . Just throwing something out there, maybe they are perceiving pressure when the clearly isn't any ?? Is the ME composure setting adrift a little ??? Any defensive minded player does not seem to want to get the ball instead they tend to run away from it . Attacking players seem more likely to run after a lose ball.

To get around this they are tweaking other settings to compensate . I played a few games on fm10 and noticed that there seems to be alot more obvious through ball opportunities in fm13 than in fm10. If through balls were to be played 50% of the time when there is an obvious chance to do so the scoring would be insane in this ME.

I "think" there is a fundamental flaw in the ME that needs addressing in regards to any defensive type player . Fix that and the rest will flow on . "

The point being that defending AI is not up to scratch and to stop having over the top scorelines they have to dumb down other things in the game ie : through balls .

Same play but zoomed in so easier to see

[video=youtube;eYCclZq1_t0]

Actually these Clips highlight a few more things , Like why did the right central defender chase after the call carrier ? But on the good side notice how one of the central mids drops into the space that the CD should of been in.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My feedback.

The thing I liked about 13.1.3 was the fact that top level football was different to lower leagues. This seems to be reversed with the latest patches. This is what an average passing chart looks for my (newly promoted League One) team now:

SktzN.jpg?1

Yet again everything is crammed in the final third and my backup DM who is a 'good player for most Blue Square Premier sides' is completing 115 of 121 passes in League One. I'm dominating possession in every match I play and it's way too easy to do that. Short passing play is too composed and precise for players at that level.

What's the reason for that then? I think it's the (re-)toned down tackling. I keep saying this but tackling needs to be over-powered in this game. Until concerted pressure to cut passing lines starts to work properly (and by that I don't mean five players aimlessly chasing down one player) and marking is reworked to be much tighter, players need to make a lot of tackles in order for the game to mimic real patterns of play.

The long shots issue is evident, but controllable enough (at least on League One level). Players refusing to commit defenders by running at them through the middle looks to be the source of that. It's annoying, but hardly game-breaking.

Re through balls. While there are issues with decision making, I think a lot of people are unrealistic in what they expect from their CM's (and strikers). Historically the most prolific pattern of play in FM has always been the CM through ball - striker perfectly times a run - one on one in acres of space sequence. In reality this is something that succeeds rather rarely and I'm glad it's getting more and more rare in FM as well.

Defending from wide areas (obviously) needs work. A lot more crosses need to be blocked. Majority of crosses in reality hit the first defender and unless the winger is in acres of space this should be the case in FM. At the moment it's not hence the amount of far post tap ins.

In conclusion, while I see a lot of improvements in the last two patches (most notably the much more clever sideways off the ball movement of attacking players), I tend to agree with 13.1.3 being superior overall. Despite the low shot counts it was more solid statistically and offered more tactical variety along with requiring harder (and more realistic) tactical choices.

115 completed passes! I play possession football and have even got close to that!

This is an issue we are looking into, can you please try the following to see if helps you go into Preferences -> Match and where it says 3D change it from Automatic to 60fps and try going down the list and if it fixes the issue for you.

I've tried this and it still happens..... although not all the time curiously

Yes, if you categorize the 'few' as people who post on this thread.

Of course, in reality, my situation will probably mirror the vast majority of actual users.

lol rather a large assumption there

I'll make another educated assumption , for every person that complains 10 stay silent , Now this assumption is based on all my years of retail experience and market studies by huge retail chains .

lol rather a large assumption there

I'll make another educated assumption , for every person that complains 10 stay silent , Now this assumption is based on all my years of retail experience and market studies by huge retail chains .

Of course it's an assumption, but it's based upon the large number of non-forumers I've spoken to about the game. Not a single one has made any noises about match engine flaws, and all are happily enjoying the game.

Now, that's as far from a scientific study as possible, but it does tend to indicate that the people who don't see the constant moaning about perceived ills of the game on here generally enjoy the game for what it is. Also, a large number of people on this thread have openly admitted they won't be playing the game again until the next update, yet we consistently see almost 60,000 users at a time playing the game.

I'd conclude by making another assumption that the vast majority of these gamers understand that it is, really, just a game, and won't be exactly like real life, but will play and enjoy it regardless.

Anyone else not seeing many goals from freekicks as well ? goalies seem to defend em all, whether it's A.I or player controlled.

That was one of the things fixed in the last update. I'm seeing more free kicks scored than before.

One more thing..AI teams equalise like crazy..not as bad as 4-2-4 days, but when they're a goal down, they always seem to find ways to create chances..

You need to adjust your tactics to nullify the threat. Either that or push on for a second, but this could then lead to an equaliser.

I really want to kill some1 when i see a player make a slidingtackle on an undefended ball.

I agree about passing in general being bad. I see it so often, the receiving player has to come short or move to the side to receive passes. Bad passes lead to bad passes so you get these strings of 5 bad passes doing completely NOTHING for your team except wasting time. Guess some1 in the crowd is looking at them angry and they dont have the composure to deal with that.

Next year FM: you win/lose matches based on wether you instructed the Terrain Manager to cut the grass short or long.

You need to adjust your tactics to nullify the threat. Either that or push on for a second, but this could then lead to an equaliser.

Point is they always score from corners/fks/penalties or own goals, in other words it often seems impossible to defend. If i have a 'no wingers, really narrow' formation and opponents bomb the flanks with overlapping backs I know why they score and what is going wrong.

If my opponents equalise from a corner I know the thing i did wrong was this: i scored and got the lead.

So i thought i'd try something in 1 game to see what happens. This is my playmaker 'support' on 'long shots' rarely. bar right down. 'Through balls' often. bar right up. And lastly creative freedom on 'little' bar right down again. Result, i won 2-0. Had 28 shots, of which 15 of those shots were from my playmaker with those settings above - he was shooting from stupid places with clear opportunities to pass to a forward who has made a good run! Lol! I think i'll leave the game now until this is fixed.

Happy new year to you all.

Point is they always score from corners/fks/penalties or own goals, in other words it often seems impossible to defend. If i have a 'no wingers, really narrow' formation and opponents bomb the flanks with overlapping backs I know why they score and what is going wrong.

If my opponents equalise from a corner I know the thing i did wrong was this: i scored and got the lead.

Contrary to popular belief, the game doesn't simply 'get you back when it feels like it'. There's no AI that just forces you to concede regardless. This could be down to poor concentration, exhausted players, poor pre-match training (concentrate on defending set-pieces if you're always conceding from them).

It is frustrating, but the game isn't programmed to always equalise when you go a goal up, despite how it seems. Otherwise we'd all play 38 and draw 38. What tactical changes do you make when you go a goal up? Have you read this thread? http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/340527-Help-on-seeing-out-games.

So i thought i'd try something in 1 game to see what happens. This is my playmaker 'support' on 'long shots' rarely. bar right down. 'Through balls' often. bar right up. And lastly creative freedom on 'little' bar right down again. Result, i won 2-0. Had 28 shots, of which 15 of those shots were from my playmaker with those settings above - he was shooting from stupid places with clear opportunities to pass to a forward who has made a good run! Lol! I think i'll leave the game now until this is fixed.

Happy new year to you all.

Temporarily solution for at least limiting long shots is not choosing playmaker or having playmaker deeper, in DM spot.

These kind of conspiracy theories have been around since FM was invented. And they are still as utterly ludicrous and without foundation as they've always been.

You know for all the gnashing of teeth over the lack of long shots problem and the over powered through ball I actually thought 13.1.3 was pretty close to where the game should be. At least the football that was played provided entertainment, what I find with this latest patch is that there are so many goals from only crosses that its become boring. I find myself unable to use the Exploit the Middle option because my central midfielders dont seem to be interested in creating goals.

If SI cant find an immediate fix then surely it would be easier to revert the game back to the previous version that was closer to the intended goal than to leave the game as it is right now. The game is not unplayable but in its current state it is unwatchable.

On a lesser note it seems to me that if I play a pressing game I end up with, on average 2 injuries a match. its just a lottery from there as to how serious they end up being.

I appreciate that SI have worked hard on this but feel that the current patched version of the game is not its best and I certainly think the option to revert back to a previous patch should have been considered as a fallback option. A number of people are stopping their saves because the ME has been so volatile, including some with "high" post counts on here so its clear that this is not just a knee jerk reaction.

Just a point on the 'long shots problem'.

The real life stats on percentage of long shots (posted a few pages back) would suggest the game isn't actually that far off at all.

Of course we can't track long shots as a percentage of total team shots across a season via in game stats (maybe SI can access those stats?), and would need to do it manually instead to gather the numbers and a decent sample size.

Just to chuck my hat into the ring here as well... About a week ago when the latest hotfix was released, I was where a lot of people here were. Having played the game for a long time, I'm not used to going on barren runs and figured I knew the game and tactics pretty well. I've never (touch wood) been fired, and usually move through the leagues pretty quickly. The same was true for FM13 on the first incarnation. Even with the major ME flaws on the Beta release (by the way - what we have now in 13.2.1 is SO much better than the original Beta, showing just how much progress SI are making in a short period of time). But on 13.2, I hit a blank. The lack of any forward movement from my midfield was infuriating, and I couldn't understand why my 4-5-1 was yielding nothing when it had taken my little Uniao de Lamas team to the Portuguese title and Champions League on the previous patch. So, I went back to a bog standard 4-4-2 and tried to make it work all over again.

Nonetheless, I will echo what others have said, go to the Tactics forum and read as much as possible. The main threads by Cleon, wwfan, wez007 et al are really useful, and even if you lose, try to do something different and learn from it. There seems to be a real focus on getting your roles and mentalities right in this incarnation of FM; at least, more than on FM12, and the partnerships all over the field are really important. The one thing that I've done that I haven't seen many people post about is tweak the individual settings of my advanced playmaker to force him to go forward and get in 'the hole'. Other than that, the TC can do most things, even if I don't understand them all yet :D

The other thing that seems to be making more of a difference in each version is Squad Harmony. Chopping and changing tactics every match simply doesn't work (like in real life!) - let them bed in and it'll get there in the end. This goes for buying a whole new team as well, or even two or three new players. Anyone who has played any level of football will know that, no matter how good the new player, it takes time to work out what they will do so that you can pass to them instinctively or trust that they will be where they should.

Before I get accused of being too pro-SI, there are obvious flaws with the patch, but they aren't game-breaking as some would have you believe. The through-balls need sorting, strikers could be more pro-active with their runs and defending can occasionally infuriate. It's not great that we have an imperfect Match Engine, but that'll probably always be the case. Either way, I'd far rather SI were trying to break new ground and push the game on than sticking with what we know because they don't want backlash from us.

So yeah, it's not perfect, but I do think it's worth persevering with. It's always worth remembering that for ever person moaning on an online forum, there are probably another 100 happily playing the game :)

Just to chuck my hat into the ring here as well... About a week ago when the latest hotfix was released, I was where a lot of people here were. Having played the game for a long time, I'm not used to going on barren runs and figured I knew the game and tactics pretty well. I've never (touch wood) been fired, and usually move through the leagues pretty quickly. The same was true for FM13 on the first incarnation. Even with the major ME flaws on the Beta release (by the way - what we have now in 13.2.1 is SO much better than the original Beta, showing just how much progress SI are making in a short period of time). But on 13.2, I hit a blank. The lack of any forward movement from my midfield was infuriating, and I couldn't understand why my 4-5-1 was yielding nothing when it had taken my little Uniao de Lamas team to the Portuguese title and Champions League on the previous patch. So, I went back to a bog standard 4-4-2 and tried to make it work all over again.

Nonetheless, I will echo what others have said, go to the Tactics forum and read as much as possible. The main threads by Cleon, wwfan, wez007 et al are really useful, and even if you lose, try to do something different and learn from it. There seems to be a real focus on getting your roles and mentalities right in this incarnation of FM; at least, more than on FM12, and the partnerships all over the field are really important. The one thing that I've done that I haven't seen many people post about is tweak the individual settings of my advanced playmaker to force him to go forward and get in 'the hole'. Other than that, the TC can do most things, even if I don't understand them all yet :D

The other thing that seems to be making more of a difference in each version is Squad Harmony. Chopping and changing tactics every match simply doesn't work (like in real life!) - let them bed in and it'll get there in the end. This goes for buying a whole new team as well, or even two or three new players. Anyone who has played any level of football will know that, no matter how good the new player, it takes time to work out what they will do so that you can pass to them instinctively or trust that they will be where they should.

Before I get accused of being too pro-SI, there are obvious flaws with the patch, but they aren't game-breaking as some would have you believe. The through-balls need sorting, strikers could be more pro-active with their runs and defending can occasionally infuriate. It's not great that we have an imperfect Match Engine, but that'll probably always be the case. Either way, I'd far rather SI were trying to break new ground and push the game on than sticking with what we know because they don't want backlash from us.

So yeah, it's not perfect, but I do think it's worth persevering with. It's always worth remembering that for ever person moaning on an online forum, there are probably another 100 happily playing the game :)

Tip top points, the bits I bold seem a lot more unforgiving than they once were. As they should be imvvvvho. :)

I've been quite defensive about this patch because I genuinely thought it wasn't that bad but having played 1 and 1/2 seasons now its poor. Cross goal, cross goal, cross goal...long shot his the corner flag, long shot hits the corner flag, long shot his the corner flag. Its just same old every game. I'm doing reasonably well with my Reading side too so not like I'm losing every week but its just so boring to watch. Defended SI a lot down the years but this years game is a disaster so far. So tempted to go back to 12 but I hate going back to old games.

Ok guys it gonna be hard but I must make confession. I decided to re-think my game plan - especially the lack of through balls...basically my whole game plan depends on through balls. I have made few adjustments - for example applied BWM because I realised that I don't win ball in correct places to catch opposite team out of position. This change made my players able to play those king of passes. Suddenly I also see less long shots. It's definitely not perfect, sometimes players refuse to play through balls in obvious situations but overall I must admit that... well ehmm it really was "my tactics" in most cases :)

I downloaded the patch with great expectations yet came away with disappointment:

1. Several things that has been done well in 13.1 has been thrown out of the window, notably: The AM strata suddenly does not defend in 13.2 unless a very defensive tactic is used. TBH, the defending of the AM strata in 13.1 has been one of the best improvement and I just can't understand why it's thrown out. You can have a hard-working AMC with 18 work rate and team work instructed to close down often, yet he will just stand there passively watching the opposition plays past him. This is wrong, unhelpful, and unrealistic.

2. The amount of long shot from weird positions from wrong players is just absurd. A Full back with 5 long shot, instructed to shoot 'rarely' let it rip with a piledriver from 30 yards again and again is extremely frustrating to watch. It is like watching my 3 year old son playing Fifa 1998. It's poor. This aspect of the game is really good with 13.1 and this is yet another big step backwards.

And before someone jumps on me for 'it's my tactics'. No, I'm not ranting because I'm struggling. I'm ranting because the match presentation from the current ME looks very poor and a big step backwards compared to 13.1.

/rant over

OK, having calmed down after the rant, I fully understand that the ME code is a huge piece of work and I really appreciate the developers working during holiday time. A big happy new year to you and I hope you get this fixed soon.

after reading the forums decided to try the latest update.

managed one game then decided i needed to go back to my previous patch

not because i wasnt happy with the match engine.... i only had 1 game so not much to see really but because as soon as my game was updated football manager ran extremely slow.

managed to go back to previous state by doing the system restore thing... however i did lose some of my save game

any ideas why the game was going so slow after being updated.

Overrun again and again and again, what kinda dope are the ME on when getting behind, i want some of that?:). Its kinda fun seeing Chester beat my Gunners team 4-3 after being 2-4 Down, especially when i created like 39 chances and they produced like 11, most coming in the lst 20 min:). And the disallowed goal, well every game have one or two, every game. I agree With the post above...Wake me up when 13.3. is released.

Good night.

Overrun again and again and again, what kinda dope are the ME on when getting behind, i want some of that?:). Its kinda fun seeing Chester beat my Gunners team 4-3 after being 2-4 Down, especially when i created like 39 chances and they produced like 11, most coming in the lst 20 min:). And the disallowed goal, well every game have one or two, every game. I agree With the post above...Wake me up when 13.3. is released.

You do realise that when the next update is released, all of the above will still happen*. The ME isn't responsible for you losing games, as it's the same for the AI as it is for you.

*Well, apart from losing 4-3 after being 4-2 up. I'm not sure what kind of update would be needed for that. Some type of magical one, I guess.

There is not much wrong with the ME imo. You may need to spend more time on your tactics than before but this is Football manager not some plug and play WII game.

If you think the ME is fine then you really should watch more real life football. How many times do you see shots from the half-way line? How many times do teams pass back to the keeper from midway in the opponents half? How many times do teams play with a ball that defies the laws of physics by speeding up after a bounce, not to mention almost completely ignoring the effect of friction? How many times do you see a header travel the entire length of the pitch? How many times do you see all the defenders chase the same player while leaving others completely unmarked? etc. The ME is a mile from ok.

Ridiculous amount of long shots..holy crap..why do we not have a hotfix at least for this so the game is playable ? Also, lower profile teams are kicking so much ass atm it's unreal..and a lot of them dominate possession vs my team that is a 4-3-3 control-based, very technical arsenal..i had stoke finish 4th in the EPL last season, and i'm getting my ass handed to me vs teams like Swansea (4-0)..what..the..hell..then i play in the champions league and dominate my group.Logic ?

Things like this are so irritating. The first goal is obvious, the second was from a throw out which didn't reach the full back because he was running up the field rather than waiting for the throw!! My keeper has composure 15, concentration 15, communication 16 and decisions 14. Distribution must be a hidden stat!! I lose the game 3-0 after only losing one at home all season. I wouldn't mind so much if the opposition keepers do things like this but they don't.

If you think the ME is fine then you really should watch more real life football. How many times do you see shots from the half-way line? How many times do teams pass back to the keeper from midway in the opponents half? How many times do teams play with a ball that defies the laws of physics by speeding up after a bounce, not to mention almost completely ignoring the effect of friction? How many times do you see a header travel the entire length of the pitch? How many times do you see all the defenders chase the same player while leaving others completely unmarked? etc. The ME is a mile from ok.

From what I saw the other day it could be based on Preston?

However, I've gone back to FM12 for now, 13 just won't respond to the tactics I want to use at all, players just won't do as asked.

There is not much wrong with the ME imo. You may need to spend more time on your tactics than before but this is Football manager not some plug and play WII game.

That's an interesting opinion. Almost every single problem that I am having with the match engine is entirely non-tactical.

Actually after finishing whole season, I don't find that match engine as bad as some people state. The biggest drawback IMHO is that players like Messi, or Ronaldo score much less than in real life. It just breaks immersion and illusion of realism :(.

Came here to post my opinion. I'm playing an Arsenal save since day 1. I watch all my games in full, at faster speed though. I have a worldclass team in szeschny-corchia-bochetti-vermaelen-alaba-spawn player with excellent stats-wilshere-ramsey-rodriguez-muniain-damiao. In the first three seasons I have won capital one cup twice, fa cup once, championsleague once and 1 runner-up and premiership once. Last season was my best with three cup wins in total. Before the patch I didn't concede too many goals. Now I seem to concede every single game. My fullbacks with 18 speed can't keep up with wingers with 15 speed with the ball glued to their feet and they don't seem to even attempt to block crosses. Every single goal I concede is from situation like this. A cross comes in, defenders mark the wrong player and there's one completely unmarked player who can hammer in the ball.

This isssue has only started since the last patch. For that reason I'm getting a bit desperate. My tactic was working awesome before this patch, but now it just doesn't work anymore. And I won't even get started on the long shot issue.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories or whatever, but to me it seems that some things really need to be fixed. It's impossible that a tactic that conceded 21 goals in a full season last season, has now already conceded 37 goals with 10 games left to play. I have tried to change things around, but to no avail. I really hope for better times.

Just my two cents though.

Happy 2013 to all of you btw and to SI games!

after reading the forums decided to try the latest update.

managed one game then decided i needed to go back to my previous patch

not because i wasnt happy with the match engine.... i only had 1 game so not much to see really but because as soon as my game was updated football manager ran extremely slow.

managed to go back to previous state by doing the system restore thing... however i did lose some of my save game

any ideas why the game was going so slow after being updated.

This is true. The game became slower after 13.2. Specially when wanting to make a tactical change during a match.

It takes a couple of clicks just to open the drop menu and another two clicks to choose a shout.

In general the game does feel heavy and slow. This did not happen before so its not my PC.

This is true. The game became slower after 13.2. Specially when wanting to make a tactical change during a match.

It takes a couple of clicks just to open the drop menu and another two clicks to choose a shout.

In general the game does feel heavy and slow. This did not happen before so its not my PC.

It's not the game either, as I've not noticed any difference. Certainly doesn't take two clicks to open any of the options. Perhaps the game has become more processor intensive after the last update, but if you're being affected by that, then it's your machine. Maybe see what else you've got running.

Yes very annoying.

The game is so slow during the match that it is unplayable. The one game I had took forever. Even the timer was counting really slowly.

Since doing a system restore and going back to the patch I was previously on the game runs smoother and at a usual pace.

Hope this isn't going to be like this with the update or future updates otherwise I'd have to stick to the current patch I'm on.

Anyone noticed this before in-game?

strangebooking_zpsbd522124.jpg

A yellow card showing near the end of the match when I'm still in the first half? The one just to the left of where the game is at was also there before the blue bar reached it. Maybe this happens every game, I can't say I look at that part of the screen very often whilst watching a 'live' game.

This morning I had a thought that maybe some unknown factors may affect the game performance, so I deleted the game folder and download the whole game again. And then played a test match I always use in testing. Well, things seem to be okay. I mean the ME seems not with obvious problems. But it was only one match. But one match and it looks different. The full back or wingers are not dribbling like crazy. Everything seems normal. I don't know if anyone or SI had thought about this. From my own experience, I feel there are many factors which can influence the ME performance. So maybe re-install the whole game might be a nice decision, just like it's best to start a new savegame after update although the game is savegame compatible.

Anyone noticed this before in-game?

strangebooking_zpsbd522124.jpg

A yellow card showing near the end of the match when I'm still in the first half? The one just to the left of where the game is at was also there before the blue bar reached it. Maybe this happens every game, I can't say I look at that part of the screen very often whilst watching a 'live' game.

Was there actually a booking at that time when the 2nd half played??

I go to the end of the timeline on a game as soon as it starts and if I hover my mouse over the end of the bar I see a game clock come up like 93:04 but never checked if the game finishes at that min and second. I will do now. :)

It's not the game either, as I've not noticed any difference. Certainly doesn't take two clicks to open any of the options. Perhaps the game has become more processor intensive after the last update, but if you're being affected by that, then it's your machine. Maybe see what else you've got running.

FM can, has and will cause -or suffer from- software conflict issues. This is as much a programming error as anything else software-related when FM is running. Part of SI's job is to minimize such conflicts as well as optimalization for hardware.

Archived