Match Engine Update 13.2.1 - ME 1325 Constructive feedback here please

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I've played an entire season with the 13.2.1 ME and here are my thoughts:

1) The most annoying aspect is the fact that when a winger cuts inside he invariably dribbles to the edge of the box and shoots lamely, without ever considering to pass the ball to one of the many strikers in better positions. After an entire season I have not scored a goal EVER when a winger has cut inside.

2) I have only had ONE through ball in an entire season with Man City. Considering the talent I have at my disposal (in season 4 with Gotze, Silva, Hazard et al) only ONCE have they managed a successful through ball that resulted in a goal (actually only one through ball full stop).

3) Strikers only score from dead ball situations (corners, free kicks etc) or on the rare occasions when the wingers take the ball to the byline. In fact it is my wingers, midfielders and defenders that score the most goals (the defenders from headers at corners).

Now I am not one to whinge or to moan unnecessarily but before the latest patch I was quite happy with the ME - even during the Beta phase of the ME I was pretty content that my tactics made a difference and that my Iplayers at least played to their potential or did what I wanted them to do. But after seeing Gareth Bale cut inside for an entire season and not pass to a striker has made me grumpy...which leads me to another quibble. Without wingers you don't score...unless you get a corner or a bizarre gaffe from the opposing defender (which is rare).

In the three seasons before the new ME I was reasonably successful, but season four (the 13.2.1 season) I am going nowhere (yes I know it's my tactics!!! Or perhaps it's the ME? Just sayin')

Also in the three seasons before I was enjoying the free-flowing Barcelona-style football that my boys were playing, a real joy to watch...not only that I could rip teams apart with the array of talent I have assembled at Citeh. Alas not in season four. Now I struggle to beat Leyton Orient with the same tactics that I beat Real Madrid a year before...

In conclusion I am not happy with the current ME (did you get that?), however I will say that this is the one and only time in my extensive FM career (I am old...very old...and have played them all) that the ME has become an issue. I realise that this is a work in progress and that SI will get it right eventually...I just hope they get it right before Mr Al Mubarak sacks me :-)

For your first point, this has been a problem in fm since the beginning of fm2012. Frustrates the hell out of me.

Agree with you tho. Shocking how my team has suddenly turned from world beaters to ****.

For your first point, this has been a problem in fm since the beginning of fm2012. Frustrates the hell out of me.

Agree with you tho. Shocking how my team has suddenly turned from world beaters to ****.

Funny but I've only just noticed this in the latest update (the winger cut inside bug) - I just hope they fix it soon 'coz my team is going the wrong way in the table and the chairman is getting nervous...:-)

I was reading various forums and a lot of people and I have to say I agree with them have problems with penalties. A lot of them is missed, generally too many. I remember that I had three penalty takers, everyone had at least 17 and they missed a lot. I thought it could be just bad luck but it seems to happen to many players, this should be looked at. Penalty conversion rate is weird.

New patch is better than the last 1 but i am getting rather annoyed with this winger problem, i think every single match Theo cuts inside and shoots on nearly every single chance rarely scoring. So far although i been winning most my games i am 5 games into my second season none of my strikers have scored any goals. Was never problem 2 patches ago with Podolski scoring 25

Funny but I've only just noticed this in the latest update (the winger cut inside bug) - I just hope they fix it soon 'coz my team is going the wrong way in the table and the chairman is getting nervous...:-)

Been irking me for a while now. I posted about it last year.

How do you play your wide men?

New patch is better than the last 1 but i am getting rather annoyed with this winger problem, i think every single match Theo cuts inside and shoots on nearly every single chance rarely scoring. So far although i been winning most my games i am 5 games into my second season none of my strikers have scored any goals. Was never problem 2 patches ago with Podolski scoring 25

Odd, in this new patch, my striker has just started scoring again! Falcao gets most of my goals.

Tiesto then set you winger as IF's(a) then you willl se more corsses and less cutting inside :) And i will change them on W with support couse its only way to make them cut inside...it's really nonsense

This is my first FM game for a few years now and I only got it a few days ago so I don't know what it was like with older patches but I get absolutely killed by teams who focus on crossing, especially with fast skillful wingers eg: Chelsea with Mata and Hazard, United with Yarmolenko and Nani. Majority of these crosses are always aimed at the back post where there's an unmarked forward or winger ready to tap in regardless of my tactics or my instructions to specific players. I've had my training set up to defense and defending set pieces for half a season in some hope it'll help me deal with it but it's had next to no impact. It's gotten to the point I have to close my eyes when I see a cross is about to go in.

doesn't make any sense really why cut inside when i don't even tell my winger 2 do it, i got left winger on move into channels and right winger to hug touch line. Even ben arfa on right hand side he cuts inside...

Don't ask me...I'm also wondering what's the secret purpose of that...I mean there must be something... :p

Is anyone else noticing players are misjudging crosses? i.e. a defender will be marking a player, the cross will come in, the defender moves towards the cross, the cross goes over the defender's head and the opposition player gets a clear shot.

I'm getting a lot of orgies at the near post too, leaving my far post completely exposed.

The entertainment value is very high with this ME. I find myself literally loling at some of the things which happen - I particularly like the dodgy crosses which turn into a cross bar challenge, causing a huge amount of panic in the area, proceeded by a follow-up shot which always comes very close. My keeper also has issues when it comes to throwing the ball; he sometimes decides to launch it 15 yards in front of my fullback and (hopefully) out of play. I say hopefully because I have seen it go straight to an opposition player, who naturally decides to sprint towards my near post and dribble it over the line :D

Chappie.dm in post #946 just a few posts up:

I agree with your analysis and feelings about how the game plays from a management perspective. I'm so hoping we go a lot further than simply reducing longshots. The game is tactically a bit vacuous at the moment and still needs triage. I worry about how many will simply walk away with things as they are. It was easier to spot the crazy scorelines or supper dribblers or GK mistakes and yes they were turn-offs for sure, but unless the core heart of play is addressed there is a much bigger problem long-term. Harder to spot and quantify but far more important than any particular tallied issue. We shall see.

Bought the game yesterday, my first thoughts after half a season:

1) I have already seen a half-pitch goal, and few way-too-light passes from defender to goalkeeper ending with goal. I haven't seen this throughout about 30 seasons of FM 2012.

2) Penalties seem much more varied.

3) Amount of goals from crosses is very high, compared to previous version! I remember having top-class striker in FM 2012 with jumping about 14 and heading 16, playing for me through many seasons. Altought I used both wingers and wing-backs, he almost never scored a header.

Now I play Sampdoria, which is quite mediocre team, but with decent target man, pacey wingers and capable wing-backs I can easily get good results. I would consider this as a ME flaw.

4) Same as in FM 2012, Messi and Ronaldo score ridiculously low amount of goals.

doesn't make any sense really why cut inside when i don't even tell my winger 2 do it, i got left winger on move into channels and right winger to hug touch line. Even ben arfa on right hand side he cuts inside...

I find setting through balls and crosses to max for wide men makes it a little less frequent. Cavani gets a lot of assists for me.

Im getting utterly fed up with this. 2 patches ago i found the me had great balance. When i lost, i lost cause i was outplayed. The game seemed balanced. Next, came 13.2 and my team just scored for fun, messi hit 40+ goals and 40+ assists. Bit boring.

Now the new patch. Back to the old fm faults for me. I have 30 shots i win, i have 30 shots i draw and i have 30 shot i lose. I repeatedly outplay the opposition, but the only way the game can make me lose is to make my world class team not have a bad game or be outplayed, but just be unlucky and the opp gk have a blinder.

Messi has missed his last 3 pens, wilshere his last 2. All were in games where i just knew cause the way it was going, they were going to miss.

In this eddition, we have moved well away from all the old ME faults of 2012, right the way back again to the point where this may as well be be 2012.

please sort it si

completely agree with u here mate, exactly the same happens too me, i have about 30 - 40 shots a game. outplay every team but only lose if the opposition keeper all of a sudden turns into a super keeper and saves everything and they have one shot on target and score it

I normally don't complaint but why every match my players hit 3-5 times woodwork and sometimes 8 times. Kinda ridiculous for that amount.

More ridiculous when you see the ball hitting woodwork and then end up for a throw-in, at the edge of the half-field! :D

In my entire life i've seen no woodworks with the ball making so much distance before a rebound.. totally unrealistic

P.S: SI should consider making a "like" button to this forum, so i'll be able to "like" all the previous-said complaints!

There's nothing to do and too many problems I'm game. it is impossible to create a tactic without wings .. the game takes you to do the same tactic on the internet there are a billion! ie the 4-1-2-2-1 a median two cc two wings and a bit .. otherwise you will suffer forever .. also some tactics with 3 dif turns a little good since both have full-backs on defense are useless! but in the long thelatest also differ in three will suffer .. therefore the unic tactic that covers the field well and easy to set up and as described before .. ie ali ali ali ali of crossing of crossing of crossing .. a monotia disgusting .. incredible! ta the tactic I used in the other fm was a 4-1-3-2 ie a median three central midfielders tasked with entries pressure and assists and posseso came out really nice game fast and fluid without giving reference points to the opponent .. right here you can not necessarily have to put the wings in front of the full-backs and if no damage!

There's nothing to do and too many problems I'm game. it is impossible to create a tactic without wings .. the game takes you to do the same tactic on the internet there are a billion! ie the 4-1-2-2-1 a median two cc two wings and a bit .. otherwise you will suffer forever .. also some tactics with 3 dif turns a little good since both have full-backs on defense are useless! but in the long thelatest also differ in three will suffer .. therefore the unic tactic that covers the field well and easy to set up and as described before .. ie ali ali ali ali of crossing of crossing of crossing .. a monotia disgusting .. incredible! ta the tactic I used in the other fm was a 4-1-3-2 ie a median three central midfielders tasked with entries pressure and assists and posseso came out really nice game fast and fluid without giving reference points to the opponent .. right here you can not necessarily have to put the wings in front of the full-backs and if no damage!

What the what

Kids, this is what google translate does for you

Here you see my striker receiving the ball after a kick from the back:

2heczt1.png

He passes it back to my central midfielder:

bgbaz9.png

My central midfielder can't get to the bal and decides to keep running to try and get the ball:

1zpid6h.png

My defenders (nr. 6 and 4) decide to take sleep and let the opponent's striker run trough on goal:

2enp7c0.png

I see what they did here :(

Legend. Thrilling read.

its not a handicap, its not a tactical issue, but there is definitely a problem there. in all the patches, playing on counter or defensive is too overpowered, and attacking is too underpowered. standard is also a bit underpowered. its obvious that the more attacking you play in this game, the dumber your players become and start making all kinds of different mistakes much more. the issue could be that composure of players in general is very poor, a lot of mistakes are done that make no sense. for example, when i sometimes play attacking, the players just stupidly give the ball away and the opposition easily gets an increase in possession. i know playing more attacking means playing faster which leads to more mistakes, but the mistakes are way too excessive in this ME. it is way too easy to go away to a superior team and dominate the game playing on counter or defensive and it is way too easy that an inferior team comes to your home and dominates you. maybe the issue is not lack of composure or too many idiotic mistakes happening, but there definitely is something wrong that needs to be looked at.

Nonsense tbh.

It's entirely tactical.

Nonsense tbh.

It's entirely tactical.

Not really. In FM playing defensively means keeping possession, short passing and slow buildups while playing attacking football means booting the ball forward as quickly as possible. Does the football culture with this strategic interpretation of the game actually exist? In every football culture I know of the interpretation is the exact opposite, including the English one.

Of course, knowing that the interpretation is reversed, it is possible to build a tactic that does what you want, but that doesn't mean that there isn't "something wrong that needs to be looked at".

I'm sure Maczidane will somehow use this data to tell us the ME is the bestest ever , but I dunno what use these numbers actually are, the issues are a high number of shots in general + players ignoring tactical options / shouts and shooting from distance regardless.

Players ignoring instructions you say? Yeah, that never happens in real life, does it?

Not really. In FM playing defensively means keeping possession, short passing and slow buildups while playing attacking football means booting the ball forward as quickly as possible. Does the football culture with this strategic interpretation of the game actually exist? In every football culture I know of the interpretation is the exact opposite, including the English one.

:lol:

That is all.

He said nothing of the sort, talk about selective interpretation :)

Aye Kriss, perhaps a little selective there mate,, but he did say he wants to move onto working on the ME for 2014,, and you also mentioned a cut off point,,, just the feeling i got from those points ;)

I rolled back and its been fine, the dark skin remained as well which was a bonus.

Thats good news and cheers for getting back with the answer. I was wondering about the skin,, and my facepacks as I only downloaded the MP not too long ago (but that can always be extracted again),,, cheers mate :)

Of course, knowing that the interpretation is reversed, it is possible to build a tactic that does what you want, but that doesn't mean that there isn't "something wrong that needs to be looked at".

That's the case with midfield/attacking players but not defenders. Defenders on defensive settings will usually seek to clear the ball as quickly as possible. Defenders on attacking settings will be more likely to play the ball out of defense. To this extent, achieving popular conceptions of "attacking" and "defensive" football is always some mix of strategy and philosophy, and generally, FM's general idea of "attacking" football (play the ball out of defense and get it into the penalty area as quickly as possible) probably most resembles Dortmund, a team that doesn't really concern itself with maximizing possession at the expense of creating goal-scoring opportunities (though, like in FM, their high pressing game means they often do dominate possession).

With that said, you have a point that the strategy titles are, perhaps, a bit ambiguous and that "strategy" is probably better defined as the sum of all tactical settings. I certainly wouldn't care if Strategy (Defensive -> Standard -> Attacking) was changed to Risk-Taking (Cautious -> Moderate -> Bold) or something similar.

Can anyone from SI tell me how to unistall the last patch and hotfix? I paid to play, not waiting for patches. I am a customer and i want immidiately the last patch and hotfix out of my game. Just tell me how!

You cant ,, only way would be to do a system restore to before,,, but think that kills your save game. Can always start again tho and just have steam on offline mode so it dont re-install it

I don t have problem with anyone. Maybe is my bad English. I just want to remove the last patch and hotfix. Somehow they will be a way... Sorry for my attitude if was aggressive

Sorry for misunderstanding you. @PSNBlade is that really the case? That is quite ridiculous if so. Have not had time to play the new patch

There was a lot wrong with 13.1.3:

- Almost all goals came from crosses.

- Defenders who are terrible at defending through balls.

- Defenders getting 8+ ratings without doing anything special.

- Almost no goals from outside the box.

- Almost no goals from direct free kicks.

- Too few shots per game.

13.2.1 is by no means perfect but let's not exxagerate, it has fewer major problems than 13.1.3.

You missed out the ball acting as if it's on ice

Hitting the woodwork is becoming a MAJOR problem for me at the minute. I'm not one to normally get annoyed at this as I see people every year complain about this issue, but for once I genuinely think something needs to be done about it.

In 14 games I have hit the woodwork 14 times, and in my last game (which I lost 1-0), I hit the woodwork on three separate occasions.

After reading your post, i just looked at my savegame. 17 games played, 20 times woodwork. That isn't funny anymore :(

I dont think the match engine is as atrociously unplayable as some- it has not seen a big change in my results either way, but-

The few things i've noticed since the patch, which have all been mentioned before

-the long shots- loads of them, all wildly inaccurate, resulting in a real lack of through-balls in the final third

-nonsensical marking- like having the wall or one stray player standing behind the line of defence and playing half a dozen players onside unmarked

-crossing seems extremely successful very often

-game appears to favour dribblers over passers- i've got a very very good fullback, but he shouldnt be getting 10 goals a season from receiving the ball on the edge of our area from the GK and then just dribbling it straight into the opposition goal

Aye Kriss, perhaps a little selective there mate,, but he did say he wants to move onto working on the ME for 2014,, and you also mentioned a cut off point,,, just the feeling i got from those points ;)

There will be a cut offpoint but it won't be before he's done everything he can to make this ME acceptable.

I find setting through balls and crosses to max for wide men makes it a little less frequent. Cavani gets a lot of assists for me.

Yeah tried all that, still same old. Every single player set to long shots rarely and they take long shots all the time, also creative discipline on very rigid

I dont think the match engine is as atrociously unplayable as some- it has not seen a big change in my results either way, but-

The few things i've noticed since the patch, which have all been mentioned before

-the long shots- loads of them, all wildly inaccurate, resulting in a real lack of through-balls in the final third

-nonsensical marking- like having the wall or one stray player standing behind the line of defence and playing half a dozen players onside unmarked

-crossing seems extremely successful very often

-game appears to favour dribblers over passers- i've got a very very good fullback, but he shouldnt be getting 10 goals a season from receiving the ball on the edge of our area from the GK and then just dribbling it straight into the opposition goal

ofcourse it is playable, even if the GK started running to corner flag every single time it would still be playable. lets face it though, the ME is currently broken and not fun to play. the fact that through balls are nonexistent, literally nonexistent, makes it a fact that the ME is broken. its like buying a FIFA game and you cant give a through ball, could you imagine that? even before this patch through balls were rare from the middle, most of them came from the wings.

Archived