Changing game for Europe

When buying the new fm I always do a Man Utd save to get a feel for the game and to see what tactics work well and in the past its always been either control or attacking tactics involving throughballs to fast strikers but that just won`t cut it this year.

After countless hours trying and reading on here I`ve finally got a game going where the results are playing out as I

expect and even if I don't win then I can understand why.

The Key is counter attacking.

I always thaught this strategy would be too defensive for Man Utd and not produce the kind of football that the fans

and my board demand but I couldn't be more wrong.

For most of the games I start with a simple 4-4-2, rigid philosophy and counter strategy, for the roles i leave the

keeper and defence alone, in midfield i have 2 attacking wingers, a cm defend and a dlp support, up front i have a dlf support

and a poacher.

Team settings are zonal marking, reduced creative freedom and drill crosses, everything else on default.

I use this for every game unless I`m playing against another 4-4-2 or similar when I change to a 4-1-2-2-1/4-5-1

with the same settings.

The shouts I use most are play narrower and exploit flanks, sometimes using push higher if they`re AM is cracking off lots of shots.

I`m currently sitting pretty at the top of the league in January 11 points clear and I`m enjoying what I`m seeing but when playing in Europe its a completely different story.

I just seem to get hammered all the time and even when I win it is with a scrappy game and poor performances all

round. I did manage to qualify for knock out stages after winning 2, drawing 2 and loosing 2 and a luckily other

results going my way) but I have drawn FCP and I`m worried this is as far as I`ll make it this year.

I was wondering how others play in Europe? Do you have to drastically change your tactics, philosophy or strategy or have I just been unlucky?

You don't have to drastically change tactics, it probably just that Man Utd are suited to playing a counter attack game, particularly if the opposition comes at them which is probably more likely in Europe than it is every week in the Prem.

The other issue you might have is simply scheduling. If you're not rotating your squad very well and the bulk of your Tuesday squad have played a hard game on Saturday then they are going to be tired, particularly if you have had a tough weekend game or play a high energy game. Between the Tuesday game and the next Saturday there is more rest so the players recover a little (they won't be able to keep it up though) and so play better at the weekend than they do mid-week.

Also, when playing in Europe you tend to get a more varied gameplan played out against you which could be causing problems. If this is the the case then changing tactics (or your starting 11) is probably necessary. One size certainly does not fit all any more.

It sounds like you have a very logical and well planned setup and given that you have speed to burn and good passers centrally its hardly surprising that counter attacking type stuff is working well for you. It's likely FCP will have a bit of a go at you, particularly at home, so what's wrong with countering? Even if you are the bigger team it's just sensible. The tick box against counter attacking only takes effect immediately after you win back the ball so if your team are holding the ball for a while then the lower mentality structure will just help make sure they don't get too eager to get the ball forward and take their time, something which your boys are probably perfectly capable of doing. I think counter mentality slightly shifts passing range so less advanced players have a slightly longer passing range, but, again, given that you have good passers centrally this is a good thing.

Archived