Fixing Regrets: The Management Career of Clifton Mauer

Todorojoz

Clifton Mauer was at one time a household name. Ok well maybe only to a select few who cared about the University of Idaho’s soccer program. Really that only amounted to the actual players, staff and maybe a few of their families. I mean even the women’s team got more attention around campus. And to call it a program was overstating the fact that it wasn’t even really supported by the school, instead it was only a club team. But if you happened to be in the select few who cared about the Vandals men’s soccer team, you would have heard the name Clifton Mauer a lot… around 6 years ago.

Mauer was quite possibly the best goal keeper ever to play at the school. Though nobody really knew since nobody at the university cared to keep track of things like that. He did lead them into a long tournament run during his Junior and Senior years, and was far and wide the only reason that they had gotten that far. Giving up only about a goal a game with the defense that he had in front of him would have been hard for a top flight keeper to accomplish. This is why when the 2001 MLS superdraft was to be held there were a number of teams interested in him. Namely D.C. United and the Kansas City Wizards. Clifton wanted a career in soccer; it was his life, what he lived for. And to be honest, he could become something great. But then there was that girl…

Clifton Mauer was at one time a household name. Ok well maybe only to a select few who cared about the University of Idaho’s soccer program. Really that only amounted to the actual players, staff and maybe a few of their families. I mean even the women’s team got more attention around campus. And to call it a program was overstating the fact that it wasn’t even really supported by the school, instead it was only a club team. But if you happened to be in the select few who cared about the Vandals men’s soccer team, you would have heard the name Clifton Mauer a lot… around 6 years ago.

Mauer was quite possibly the best goal keeper ever to play at the school. Though nobody really knew since nobody at the university cared to keep track of things like that. He did lead them into a long tournament run during his Junior and Senior years, and was far and wide the only reason that they had gotten that far. Giving up only about a goal a game with the defense that he had in front of him would have been hard for a top flight keeper to accomplish. This is why when the 2001 MLS superdraft was to be held there were a number of teams interested in him. Namely D.C. United and the Kansas City Wizards. Clifton wanted a career in soccer; it was his life, what he lived for. And to be honest, he could become something great. But then there was that girl…

You know when your in love you can do some interesting things. For one you can change the whole direction of your life in just a moment. Clifton Mauer had been selected in the 3rd round of the MLS Super draft, and was handed a guaranteed contract for the next 2 years to play the game he loved by the Wizards. But in just a moment a little blue eyed, blonde haired girl had pushed him on a different course. And sadly, one that he would regret for the rest of his life.

“Hey Mr. Johnston, what can I do for you today?â€

Robert Johnston was a short, slightly overweight typical pain in the butt boss. And Clifton knew exactly what this was call was going to be all about.

“Clifton, you are in charge of that store! And I really just cannot let you leave it unattended for the next 2 weeks while you go off playing around in some other country!†Johnston fumed.

“Sir, I have been working here for nearly 5 years now and haven’t had some much as a small holiday. The plans are already set and I am leaving for London in the morning. I am sorry but I am really out of here.â€

“If you go it will be showing complete carelessness on your part, and you will not be coming back to a job here again.†Johnston threatened.

“Sir, you can hardly expect me to just waste the $3,500 dollars I have already sent and that you have given me previous permission for. You do realize that in the past 5 years I have made your little store grow by 5 time’s right? Dropping me like that would just be lunacy!†Clifton tried reasoning with his boss, but it was all for naught.

In the end, the job had been exactly that, just a job. Nothing he had really wanted to do for the rest of his life anyways. Clifton had really just become sick with his life. He thought back to his days playing soccer often. Remembering his name coming up in the draft. And also remembering the mistake of turning it down.

How long had that relationship lasted with what’s her name?... Sandra, that’s it. Only a few years; if he had remembered correctly. By the time he had finally realized that it just wasn’t ever going to work out it was just too late getting back into MLS. He had let himself get too out of shape, girls will do that to you, and who wanted to sign an out of shape goal keeper that never had played for any notable team, and had turned down a generous offer years ago. And now at 29 it just wasn’t even in his plans anymore. Though it was fun to go play some recreation games with his company’s team. Well now, ex-company.

Ah well, Off to England then, and maybe a chance to see some world class stuff while he was there.

It was incredible! The way that Arsenal just played such a free flowing game and could attack with such precision. Clifton had been a season ticket holder for his favorite club in the states, Real Salt Lake for the past couple of seasons, but those games just didn’t compare to this. He had finally understood why it was called the beautiful game. In the US it was more of a physical yet not so finesse game. Here a player could do anything with a ball at his foot.

It was really a struggle to think of what could have been. Could I have been good enough to play here? Could I have right now been playing on one of these fields in England instead of just another spectator? It still hurt. Why did I let Sandra talk me out of it? How was she able to make me feel like I had other goals in life, and then just to give up on me for really becoming what she had wanted?

“Ok, if you accept we will be able to offer you a raise to $210 a week. We also would be willing to offer you a transfer budget of $12K dollars and a wage bill of $3.4K a week. It is not much but should be enough to keep us in the Blue Square South this season.â€

Really this had all been quite the shock. How do you get from taking a vacation, which ended up being the reason you loose a job. To managing a semi pro football team on the other side of the world?

It had been a year since he started his vacation. The problem was he just couldn’t go back. What did he have back in Utah? Family, a few good friends. But in the end, he just felt like England was where he belonged, and really where he could get his football life back.

He had originally sent out his resume… ok well here they call it a CV to all the lower division sides. Hoping to get on somewhere as a coach of some sort. But there just really isn’t a high demand for Coaches from the US here in England. For some reason they seem to think that we don’t know anything about the sport. Clifton thought it was mostly just plain arrogance. But finally a team had come calling. Not for a coach but for a financial advisor, who could second as an assistant manager. Clifton had the credentials, graduating from college in Business Management. And he had some good management background. It wasn’t really what he wanted, but it was a start.

A start that had led to this. A contract offer from the same team that had brought him on for financial reasons. The previous manager had gotten a great job offer to be a high up executive at a pretty big company, the name escapes me, but it had something to do with supermarkets.

“Mr. Cole, you do realize that the fans are going to be up in arms about this right? I mean they have waited years to get into the Blue Square Conference, and now they lose their manager and you are going to hire an American. And one that you had originally hired only to work with the clubs finances!â€

“Mr. Mauer, I assure you that I am well aware of the circumstances. But the fact is we really don’t have a huge group of fans… yet. I can see your love of the game and your management skills have really shown. You are a big part of the reason we won the Isthmian Premier Division last year. Your approach to football is very different from all the English managers around here. And id we are to survive in this new division, we must be different than everyone else.â€

David Cole was a very convincing man when he needed to be. And a chairman that really cared about his team as much as he did about his own health. He was a tall lean older man. Probably in his mid 50’s. Just starting to get some grey hair, but still it wasn’t all that noticeable.

“This is truly a dream of mine; I for the past few years have really wanted to be given the chance to manage a football team. Thank you for the support, I will save us from relegation this year!†Clifton said confidently, though not totally believing it himself.

Hampton & Richmond Borough, either the start of a dream, or just a continuation of the regrets he has had his whole life in football. Clifton Mauer defiantly wished it would be the start of something great.

Writer's Comments: This is my first real attempt at writing a story on these forums. I have been reading everyone else's for over 4 years now. So it was time for me to give it a go.

This game is being played on FM2008 with the last patch. All divisions have been loaded for England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Spain, Holland USA and Mexico, with the top 2 divisions from Italy, Germany and Portugal.

It was raining heavily as a younger Clifton Mauer walked down a very lonely street. It wasnt a place that he had seen before, not that he really was seeing it now. His head was down, as he walked the slow depressing walk of a young man that had been tormented constantly by past mistakes. That voice, it was almost evil sounding now, though when she had originally said it, it had still been the beautiful voice that he had sacrificed alot for.

"You know Cliff, we just really are not made for eachother. I used to think you were something, that you had a future somewhere. But now I can see that really it is only I that has anything great to look forward too. I think we had better start seeing other people."

Really how could someone who had made him want to give up everything for her, in the end turn out to be so... well, a huge mistake. She didnt want him going off and playing pro soccer because she said... "If you want any future with me, you better be around. I can't be expected to just sit around here while you go off playing a silly game all over the country."

His pro soccer career never had been given a chance to start. It was over before it began. And now it was too late. There was no going back and making things right. And so, he did the only thing he really could do. He walked.

Clifton woke up and laid in bed another 20 minutes or so before he decided he had better start getting prepared for his first day. It was still a few hours before he would make his debut as the new Hampton & Richmond Manager. He really didnt know what he was doing trying to pretend that he could do this. Maybe years down the road after he had more expirience. But during the past year he had only minimal exposure to the team at all. Mostly he had been writing up the players contracts and doing other financial and marketing things.

During the last couple of months he had taken over leading the U-18 squad. The results were great, but the Senior squad would be a whole other matter. He was after all, about the same age as half the team at only 29 years old. Failure he though, was just a matter of time. And then his team would be on it's way back out of the Conference.

"You just have to make your presents known to the team. Give them a reason to believe in you. Maybe that way you can believe in yourself." He tried convincing himself, staring into the mirror. "You have earned this job, now go show everyone that you belong!"

I finally decided it was time to walk over to the stadium. The club had been kind enough to find me a place only a couple of blocks away, and I had been renting the small flat ever since.

The Chairman had decided to hold the press conference announcing my appointment this morning. It of coarse wasn’t going to be that big of a deal, or so I had thought. When I arrived I was surprised to see so many that had actually shown up. There were about a hundred or so fans, a few of which had some really unkind banners suggesting that I hit the road before I even get started. But most just seemed to be wondering if an American really was the right choice, they doubted it, but at least were kind enough to give me a couple of days to screw it up.

Along with the fans there were a few news trucks and journalists. Now this I wasn’t expecting for such a small club, but I figured that maybe I had just underestimated the Blue Square South division.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, we welcome you to Beveree Stadium. With the departure of our previous manager, Alan Devonshire, who has done a great job bringing our club so far to this point. It was necessary for us to hire a replacement quickly since our first season in the Blue Square South will begin shortly!â€

He paused waiting for the applause to quiet down. “This man who has been called upon to keep our team in the division was originally hired to help keep our team financially stable, and has done a great job. He has also lead our U-18 team for the last few months with quite a deal of success. I give to you the new Manager of Hampton & Richmond Borough, Clifton Mauer…â€

Clifton stood up, his palms were sweating pretty badly, that always seemed to happen when he was nervous. It didn’t help that a small group of fans had already started to heckle him. He walked up to the podium.

“Hello everyone, it is a great honor that I have been given this great opportunity to manage a team with such potential. I really have a great vision of what this team can become. And I thank Mr. David Cole for the opportunity he has given me, and his kind words. I will open this up now for questions…â€

It really couldn’t have gone too much worse! What was I thinking? I could even answer what my plans were as far as the player or if I would need to strengthen the squad. It did even help that, that prat had to ask me how an American could possibly have success in England. Why couldn’t they all just realize that some of us on the other side of the pond actually do play football! This is pointless, not only will they not give me a chance, but then being on the sideline isn’t even nearly like being on the field of play anyways… what if I was still playing… And just like that, it was as if it had started to rain, and all Clifton was doing was walking with his head down, doing nothing else, but walking.

It was a strange feeling for the next few days walking around Beveree Stadium. Everyone had gone from treating Clifton like the goofy Yank that was out of place here, to someone who controlled their jobs. Though Clifton was by no means a power hungry person, it was nice to gain at least a little respect finally.

Though he had been with the club for a whole season, it was still as if he was meeting many people again for the first time. The initial staff meeting when about as awkwardly as a meeting can. It seemed that everyone was just waiting to see what he was going to do, the problem was that being thrown in like this Clifton himself wasn’t quite sure. But he had decided that he needed to just be an observer more during the preseason, let everyone calm down and feel comfortable with him being their new manager. And then hopefully he would lead them out for their last preseason game against Hyde United. Clifton thought that the Hyde game would be a perfect introduction for him, since they where playing at the same level in the English Football Pyramid.

Of course as soon as a new manager takes over a club there is always staff who want out or other teams that decide the time is right to give that new manager a great welcoming by poaching a staff member. Well the latter rang true as only 2 days after being called to manager Hampton & Richmond, Yeovil came calling for the team’s lone scout Lee Devonshire. Given that Lee happened to be the brother of the previous manager with whom Clifton had worked under for a year, Lee really had no reason to stay after his brother’s departure.

So now Clifton not only had a new team in a division it had never been to before, but on top of that he would have to strengthen the side without a scout, and with only a years knowledge of the league himself. Things were already beginning to drive him insane, and he had been on the job less than a week!

The 1-1-3 record during the preseason did nothing to calm him down. And nor did it give the fans anything to get excited about. Especially when those 3 losses were all against teams in lower divisions. The lone win being just 1-0 coming against another lower division club in Margate. There were only 2 good things to come out of the preseason friendlies so far was first that he hadn’t been coaching them, so maybe it wasn’t all his fault. And secondly the 2-2 draw against Torquay who was playing in the Blue Square Premier division in their last played match would hopefully give the team something to get excited about.

The other good news was that after the Beavers were expected by many pundits to place 21st out of the 22 in the division. The official Sky Bet odds came out, placing the team as one of the mid table sides with a 20-1 chance at the title. Though that did little to convince anyone around Beveree Stadium, fans and staff.

With just one game left to go before the start of the season, Clifton looked over his notes to start separating the players that were going to be playing on the first team, and everyone else.

Player [Pos, Nationality, Age]

Goalkeepers:

Matt Lovett [GK, ENG, 27]

Matt is good at stopping the ball and has good reflexes. But is lacking in everything else. He doesn’t concentrate enough and doesn’t know who to communicate and organize his defense.

Matt Nash [GK, ENG, 25]

Not quite as good at shot blocking as Lovett, but this Matt is better at everything else. And though the coaches believe Lovett to be the better of the two, Nash will probably be wearing the #1 jersey.

Utility Players (Players who can play everywhere)

Marcelo Fernendez [(SW, D RLC, DM RLC, M RLC, AMC) SAF, 31]

His ability to play anywhere on the field will be useful. Too bad he wont be. Other than being a body on the field, he really can’t do anything real well, and doesn’t belong in this division.

Graham Harper [(D R, WB R, M R), ENG, 29]

Quite possibly the hardest worker on the team. And it shows in his abilities. He could end up playing anywhere on the right side, but defiantly will be in the first eleven.

Defenders

Dean Wells [(SW, DC), ENG, 22]

By far the best defender on the team, also if not for his age he would be a strong candidate for the captaincy. Hopefully he can develop into a great player for our team.

Aaron Barnett [DC, ENG, 29]

A very athletic player with really no technical ability. He can run, and run forever, but can’t really do anything on the field. Will make a lot of costly mistakes.

Orlando Jeffery [DC, ENG, 29]

One of the better defenders on the team. He will hold down a position for now, but isn’t a solution as much as a weakness on the team. His speed will help us keep up with high pace opposing strikers.

Rob Paris [DC, ENG, 29]

Kind of a mixture of Barnett and Inns. He is very athletic and can be another very aggressive enforcing player. But after that, really lacks talent.

Alan Inns [(DC, MC), ENG, 25]

The kind of guy you don’t want to play against. This guy is a fighter. His short temper can become a problem, but he can be our enforcer, and can make opponents nervous on the field.

Midfielders

Barrie Matthews [MF, ENG, 24]

Has great fitness, which is important, and though he lacks a bit technically, he will probably start for our team.

Stuart Lake [AM LC, ENG, 27]

Will defiantly start. He has a good all around game, and could be a really good playmaker, whether that is on the wing or in the center he can be dangerous.

Ryan Lake [AM L, ENG, 21]

Stuarts little brother is nearly a mirror image. Not only do they look similar but they play similar, not to mention the same positions. It would have been nice if one of them could play on the Right side.

Dudley Gardner (Coach) [M RC, ENG, 33]

He is one of our coaches. And to be honest, if it were not for the fact that he just works his butt off, he probably wouldn’t be playing anymore. But since he does he is still a solid player in this division and should be a great example to the other players.

Glenn Harris [AM RC, ENG, 25]

Definitely on the outside looking in. Unless there are a lot of injuries to the squad, Harris wont see time on the field.

Kelvin McIntosh [MF, ENG, 24]

A smart player but nothing special outside of that.

Strikers

Ian Hodges [sT, ENG, 24]

He is the go to guy up front. If you can get him the ball in the box he can put it in the net. He also has the ability to create chances for himself. A lot of our success will be determined by how well Hodges plays.

Elliot Frost [sT, ENG, 19]

The youngest player on the senior squad. Frost could be a great compliment to Hodges, as he has what Ian is lacking. Height and Speed. He can also score goals, and is another prospect we are hoping can become the future of this club.

Lawrence Yaku [sT, NIG, 31]

Will probably start ahead of Frost as he is better at most things, and he has the experience that can be of big importance to this otherwise really young team.

Elliot Godfrey [sT, CAN, 24]

His only weakness is that he gets nervous infront of goal. He has the makings of a good striker at this level but is finding himself as the 4th option. On a lot of other teams he would be starting.

So here it was, the first time he would actually stand on the sidelines and lead his team out on the field. Though it was still a friendly, I wanted this team to realize just how important this game would be.

“Ok lads, this might be looked at as just another preseason friendly. But really this is the only friendly that we have had against a team that is level with us the English Pyramid. This game will be a measuring stick, something for us to show everyone that we belong here! Now I want to see a win tonight! Let’s go!â€

Their reaction was mixed at best, to be honest, I still just hadn’t gained their confidence yet, and it could still take a bit of time before I would.

My palms were sweating again, not to mention I couldn’t really feel my legs… was I walking? I seemed to be getting closer to the field, so that was a good sign. And here I was, in front of 114 fans in the Beveree. It wasn’t a lot, but not a bad showing for a preseason game. But it was still highly exciting, walking out with the team, the grass was green, everything just seemed right. Today would be a good day, and for the first time in years, I felt… like I was right where I belonged.

Too bad Hampton and Richmond had been played off the field by Hyde. Though they still came out with the 0-0 draw. It was disappointing to say the least. I could see a lot of issues. It seemed that only the offence was really any good on this team. But since they couldn’t get the ball due to the complete lack of talent in the defense and in the midfield it just didn’t matter how good the strikers were. There was a lot of work still to be done.

The next day I received news that Mike Hollis was being poached by Hearts. Yea the one in Scotland! I had mixed feelings about this to be honest. Firstly I didn’t rate the coach too highly anyways, and I was looking for a replacement for him. But Hearts was actually hiring him to be a Fitness Coach. Now I am sorry but when I found that out, I couldn’t stop myself from laughing. Hollis was about the worst candidate to be a Fitness Coach that there was. And to think that Hearts, a team in the Scottish Premier League, could find anybody better? Well that was enough to give me a smile the rest of the day, even if my team staff was becoming a little deflated.

I followed that up with finally naming my team captains. It was a tough choice but in the end I thought that Lawrence Yaku was the right man for the job. He was a veteran and had played for the Beavers for a couple years now. Then I choose the young Dean Wells to be our Vice Captain. He has probably the best leadership on the team, not to mention some great skill. But at 22 I just don’t think he has the experience of the respect of the older players yet. Though I believe in a couple more years he will defiantly have the yellow armband.

Since the departure of Lee Devonshire, I had been without a scout. And due to my lack of time in England, that was a big problem, I could bring anyone in. I had been waiting for nearly a month, without receiving a single CV or hearing of anybody interested. I became so frustrated and I went by the local pub and set up a drawing that the lucky winner would be given the job to scout for Hampton & Richmond. After about a week there wasn’t a single person who had put in their name! So what I saw when I walked into work on Tuesday afternoon seemed to be some really rude prank, probably from that prat at the press conference that asked about his ability to succeed as an American.

“Hey Mick, what is this? Some kind of joke? Did you do this?†I asked, slightly annoyed by the whole thing.

Mick Howe was the teams other Assistant Manager, well now the only one since I was promoted. He had been in charge of the Reserve Squad and much of the teams training in the year prior.

“No Cliff, those are real. Came in within just a couple hours of each other. It does seems strange, but I am sure they are legit.â€

Well there they were, eight people interested in the scouting position, yes eight CV’s turned in, all wanting to be Hampton’s new scout. The strange thing was, all eight of the interested job seekers were in fact American, born in the United States and living here in London, just as I was. Well, at least it would be one less person in the office calling the bathroom the lue! What was a lue anyway? Then I realized… scouts don’t tend to be around the office, so yet another great thought shot down.

I immediately decided to offer each an interview in the next couple of days. If an American was what I could get, then an American was what I would take. Though I was a bit nervous about how everyone inside and outside the club would view this. I by no means wanted this team to turn completely American, it was just my lot in life to make everything more difficult on myself.

Match day had arrived. I had a meeting the morning before the game with Mick Howe, Dudley Gardner our player coach and Paul Lagerman our Physio.

“Lads, I know it is late to be finally coming up with a tactic, but seriously this team just doesn’t fit the regular 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 formations that are popular these days. We have too much talent up front and not enough in midfield or defense. Any ideas?â€

I had seriously strained myself for finding something that might work, but I just wasn’t successful.

Paul Lagerman was the first to speak up. “Well you have a fairly athletic team here. I say you put more men on defense, since it is your weakness and then just play the long ball and try to out run the opposition.â€

“Yea I have thought of that, but I just can bring myself to put some of our best players on the bench. We have 4 strikers that are 4 of the top 6 players on this team. We lack in overall talent, which we saw against Hyde to play in this division as it is, to put some of our best players on the sideline would just hurt us worse.â€

Next Gardner took his shot. “You know what, there was a time back in 2000 that this team had a similar issue. They played the basic 4-3-3 and it seemed to work ok, I think we could make that work.â€

“But our other issue is that we don’t have player that can play the wings on defense. Harper and Matthews can play as Wingbacks, but not out and out defenders.†I said, then I had something come to mind.

“You know what we can try?†I then went up to the whiteboard and started to draw up an idea. It was a little unorthodox, and I don’t think I had ever seen it used before, but it put the best players on the field, and hopefully would give us a chance at winning. I drew up a 5-2-3 counter attacking tactic. The idea was for there to be a back 3 on defense with wingbacks that would run up the sidelines, supporting both the defense and midfield. With 2 midfielders in the center and 3 strikers up top, the wing strikers would pull to the touch lines when needed.

“That is definitely interesting!†Stated Mick. “It might just work, nothing like adding positions on the field, with the athletes we have we could possibly be playing a 5-4-3. That gives up an advantage. Our guys are quick and wont tire, so those Wingbacks basically take up 2 spots on that field.â€

“Yea, but they can only guard one guy at a time. We’ll have to see how it goes. Anyways, I want us to hold a short 15 minute scrimmage this morning with both sides using this tactic; I want them to get a small feel for it before this afternoon’s game. But tell the lads to not over do it; we don’t want to be picking up injuries at this point.â€

I felt pleased with my own creativity. You have to work with what you’ve got. I thought to myself. But I was still really nervous about this. If this idea goes pants up, everyone in this country would think I was a certifiable nut! And that isn’t the best way for me to introduce myself… my hands of coarse were already shaking.

Hampton & Richmond vs. Weston-Super-Mare (Blue Square South)

@ Beveree Stadium (Wet, 78*F)

I am not sure if it was a good idea or not to start the season off at home. Especially with this untested tactic. A poor result today could really be a setback in trying to win over the fans.

The game didn’t start off too well. Weston came at us immediately for the first 20 minutes and they looked poised to get ahead in this game early. And after a big mistake by Jeffery to mishandle the ball to one of their strikers I thought that they had gotten their breakthrough. But a great save by Nash followed by another good save just a couple of minutes later gave us some confidence. The defense started to believe they were unbeatable, and then the momentum swung into our favor. Until in the 38th minute when Godfrey picked up the ball just outside the box on the left side and sent a good cross into Hodges. Hodges had beaten his defender and placed a nice shot to the far post that the Weston keeper was lucky to get a hand on. Unluckily though was the fact that the ball dropped right in front of our 3rd striker who was attacking the net. And Yaku placed an uncontested shot into the net. At that point Weston just seemed to give up.

We were in control of the game. And in the 66th minute Inns, our central defender found himself out of position, having pushed too far forward. But Matthews passed him the ball to the top of the circle were Inns took one dribble and drilled a perfect shot into the top left corner of the goal. The keeper didn’t have a chance, and soon I was breathing a bit easier.

After the game I was very excited with the way we had played. Wow, I can’t believe how quickly they seemed to pick up on that new tactic. It seemed they had been using it for years, if you don’t count the first 20 minutes of action. I just hope that this won’t be the only win we pick up this season. Were we just lucky?

Hampton & Richmond 2 Weston-Super-Mare 0

(Yaku 39, Inns 67)

MOM: Lawrence Yaku

Attendance: 517

I finally was able to get around to doing interviews the day between the two home games we had. All eight men trying to get the scouting job were surprisingly quite knowledgeable about the English leagues. Obviously an English bloke still would have been much better, but I by no means felt like I was settling on my decision to offer jobs to both Stuart Turner and Jeremy Shelmerdine. Both had impressed during interviews.

Jeremy had to do a lot of traveling around southern England anyways on business, and seemed to have plenty of free time to be able to get out and look at players. He was an interesting guy, 38 years old, pretty smart, and in fairly good shape. But he seemed to still think he was in High School the way he dressed and bleached his pointy spiked hair.

Turner on the other hand was much more down to earth, maybe too much. He was a traveling salesman, and mentioned that he could use the extra money so he had applied for the job. He seemed to be a great judge of potential, I had taken him out to check over out youth and reserve teams for a couple of hours during practice. He then brought to me some of his thoughts and notes that he had taken, and to be honest they were not far off of what I myself and Howe had been thinking. I would be sending him out to scout youth and reserve teams primarily, in hopes of finding player to build a strong future here at the club.

Hampton & Richmond vs. Dorchester (Blue Square South)

@Beveree Stadium (Dry, 44*F)

I used the same line up as I had in the last game, though this game was scheduled only 2 days later, I felt that the guys were healthy and ready to go again. It was Hampton this time that attacked early, but nothing had come of it. And by the half it had been all square at 0-0. Neither team really looking like they wanted to win.

But in the 57th minute Yaku sent a pass out to Harper by the right corner flag. He turned and sent a cross just feet away from goal. The opposing keeper missed it and due to the pressure of an on coming Hodges, the Dorchester defender knocked it in for an own goal. Sadly though that was followed by a Dorchester goal headed in over Nash, just 4 minutes later to tie things up. Though it looked to be offsides, the linesman decided to let it stand.

Matthews picked up his second yellow card in the 75th minute, which all but killed any chance of grabbing another goal. The visitors though were all too happy with taking just a point from the match and never really threatened us in the last 15 minutes.

To be honest, this game was just too soon after our last one. I though that everyone was going to make it, but the team had some big fatigue problems after about 60 minutes, and we just didn’t have the fight that we needed to get the win.

Hampton & Richmond 1 Dorchester 1

(Jermyn 57 own goal)(Bent 62)

MOM: Elliot Bent (Dorchester)

Attendance: 520

Hampton & Richmond vs. Fisher Athletic (Blue Square South)

@Champion Hill Stadium (Dry, 51*F)

Due to the Red card that Matthews had received, I had to bring on Fernandez in the center of midfield. I moved Ryan Lake over to the left wing, he had been playing in the center up to this point. Other than that our team was the same as in the last two contests. Fisher had a win and draw to their credit as well, so they had been playing better than some had expected.

The first half was a pointless affair. Fisher hadn’t even managed a shot, while we had six, but none of them really had that much of a chance. Most of the game so far had been a ping pong battle in the center third. Both teams really struggled to control the ball for much more than a couple of passes.

When the lads had come back in I noticed my left wingback Harper limping a bit. He had hidden that pretty well as I had no idea that he was hurt until he came off the pitch. Well, I took him out and replaced him with McIntosh.

“Lads, we have this game. Fisher hasn’t even really shown up, and if front of their fans you haven’t even allowed a shot on our goal. No go out there and get us a goal or two so that we can take the 3 points today!†I said tried to get the guys to maybe put just a little more effort into this game.

The second half was much the same as the first. Until the 81st minute when Jeffrey tripped a Fisher Striker in the box, forcing the ref to call for a free kick from the spot. Luckily the shot went straight at Nash and he was able to control it. At least we would be grabbing a draw tonight, though we had deserved much more. And that is how the game ended, in total there had only been 4 shots on goal from the two teams combined.

Hampton & Richmond 0 Fisher Athletic 0

(None)

MOM: Kieran Murtagh (Fisher)

Attendance: 496

Hampton & Richmond vs. St. Albans (Blue Square South)

@Clarence Park (Shower, 51*F)

St. Albans was demoted from the Blue Square Premier division last season, but instead of going right to the top in the Blue Square South, they had actually struggled so far. Winning just 1 game and losing the rest, and by multiple goals. Talent wise these guys could probably beat us hands down, but maybe this was the perfect time for us to go against them and still a point or 3.

In the first half St. Albans really came at us. We managed to fend them off but only until the 41st minute when one of their strikers managed to head home a cross past Nash. And with the little attacking we had been doing so far, I was beginning to think that we would be putting our first loss on the board.

We tried to be more active in the second half, but in the 76st minute the Albans midfielder placed a free kick past Nash to go up 2-0 and it was looking bleek. And that is exactly how it all ended. And for the 3rd straight game we were unable to score a goal.

Hampton & Richmond 0 St. Albans 2

(Clark 41, Seeby 76)

MOM: Chris Seeby (Albans)

Attendance: 318

Thanks Murray, you will probably see me change some things as I go and get more used to writing this up. But let me tell you, so far it isn't your typical happy ending story on these forums. icon_frown.gif hahaha.

Hampton & Richmond vs. Welling (Blue Square South)

@Beveree Stadium (Wet, 51*F)

Welling were at the foot of the table at this point. With only a single point to their name, but all the odds makers had them as winning this game. All I could say is that it would definitely be a sad day to lose a game against a team who can’t beat anyone else. But with the complete lack of goals in 3 games, it was entirely possible. We did go into this game working with a new tactic as the other seemed to only work on opening day. Today I am trying out a regular style 5-3-2 and we will see if that brings any positive results.

The game started in our favor for one, and in the 11th minute when Hodges placed a tough shot to the left side of the goal I thought we were going one up, only for the ball to bounce off of the post. But then around the 20th minute Matthews goes down with a knock and I have to bring on McIntosh to play the wing. And in the 31st minute we go one down when Welling converts a great opportunity that Wells showed his inexperience and misplayed. And although we had been outplaying Welling the whole first half, we were the ones that had to go into the half down a goal. The worst part was that it was due to all of our shots going off target.

We started the second half looking deflated and unable to really get into this game. And I was already thinking to the next match. But in the 58th minute Godfrey sent in a nice corner kick that was sent back out to him. And instead of crossing it back into the center, he shot it from about 3 feel behind the left corner of the box. The keeper wasn’t expecting it, and the ball hit the back of the net for our first goal in 351 minutes. And just like that we were all tied up. Sadly though this just wasn’t turning out to be Wells’ day as he decided that heading a ball into his teams own net would be a good idea in the 76th minute. And it was all we could muster to not allow another goal as the team just seemed depressed after the own goal.

Hampton & Richmond 1 Welling 2

(Godfrey 59)(Coleman 32, Wells 77 own goal)

MOM: Omari Coleman (Welling)

Attendance: 425

Hampton & Richmond vs. Hayes & Yeading (Blue Square South)

@Church Road (Shower, 57*F)

With my top three wingbacks injured I was forced to start two back up players, including one of which had never really played there before. I just can’t get why that position seems to be so injury prone to this team. Of all the injuries incurred so far, all have been our wingers! And now for the sixth straight game, we go into it as the underdogs. And although we haven’t played all that well, our 14th spot in the league table isn’t bad considering we are suppose to be in 21st when the season ends.

This game just never looked to be ours from the beginning, and when Hayes finally put one through in the 40th minute, I already figured we were done. They put another one in during the second half, and to be honest, I don’t know that Hampton even showed up! I was starting to get very frustrated with the lack of desire I saw in this team. And it hadn’t helped that I was stuck using weird tactics because of the players this team had. Something had to be done, and soon!

Hampton & Richmond 0 Hayes & Yeading 2

(Collins 41, Knight 83)

MOM: Liam Collins

Attendance: 202

“So what are we going to do about this?†I was fuming, we had only managed one goal in five games. And even that goal was nothing more than a fluke.

“We could try benching Hodges for the kid†Said Howe, not totally sure that it was the right decision to make either.

“Frost? Yea why not, Hodges is only on target 14% of his shots, at that rate he’ll never score for us!†I replied.

Dudley Gardner sat acting a little uncomfortable, you could tell he had something to say, but just didn’t get around to doing so. Either he doesn’t know how I will react, or he doesn’t believe in his own decisions and is afraid of backlash. It has to be the first though, he’s knows his stuff, he just doesn’t know how I will take it.

“Dudley, what’s your idea? You have been really quite so far.â€

Dudley sat up a bit straighter, trying to find the right way to say what ever it was he was thinking. “Sir…â€

“Sir? You don’t need to talk to me like that Clifton, or Cliff is plenty fine, don’t be so formal.â€

“Yea, sorry… Cliff, why don’t we try the 4-4-2? I mean, we haven’t yet, and it isn’t like working to the teams strengths is really getting us anywhere at this point.â€

“You know what? Lets do it! What is the worst that can happen? We lose again? Sadly I am getting used to it, and that isn’t something I want to have happening.†Interesting, I guess we could try this out… see what happens. I also want to trade out Nash and see if Lovett can keep a couple of clean sheets to at least bring us a couple of points here and there.

“What are your thoughts to giving Lovett a chance?â€

Howe was quick to reply. “Cliff, I have been telling you for the better part of a month that he is our better keeper, I am all for it.â€

“Settled then, any other questions?â€

Again Howe was on top of it. “Yea any word on some people we can sign? We are really short maned here, and could use some new blood in this team. We were good enough to win the Isthmain Premier Division, but this division is just too strong for our players!â€

“I agree with you completely Mick, but no, I haven’t heard from either of them yet… they have been out nearly three weeks each, and not a peep. All I can say is they better find us something soon, or they will be out of here. I would rather not pay for something when I am just as good without it!â€

Mick’s question had really just got me fuming worse. It was one thing that this team was struggling. But the fact that I haven’t heard from my scouts yet was upsetting. We really needed new players in here. And the other teams in the division were constantly upgrading and stocking up on talent, while we just stayed stagnant.

Hampton & Richmond vs. Bognor Regis (Blue Square South)

@Beveree Stadium (Downpour, 77*F)

So today I decided to go with the 4-4-2 Diamond tactic in hopes of the players recognizing it, and hopefully playing a better overall team game. The rain wasn’t going to help matters, but I hoped the few braves souls who came out to see us today would give the lads a boost.

And so what happens? We get off to the worst start of the season by giving up a one-on-one to Bognor in the opening 4 minutes of action. Follow that with McIntosh tripping a Bognor midfielder in the box that eventually leads to another goal from the spot, and we are down 2-nil in the space of 12 minutes. We really should have gone into the half much farther behind.

We finally got something going in the opening part of the second half and at 54 minutes Gardner sent a through ball in to Yaku, who latched onto it and nailed a strong effort into the net from just the right of the circle. Then in the 84th minute there was a heartbreaker as Yaku again had a nice chance to tie it all up, but his shot hit just wide of the net, and we went on to lose yet another game.

Hampton & Richmond 1 Bognor Regis 2

(Yaku 55)(Lawless 4, Dunphy 14 pen)

MOM: David Dunphy (Bognor)

Attendance: 332

22nd! I can’t believe we have fallen all the way to last place! I really am not cut out for this, why did I ever accept the position. This team is much better than they are playing, and obviously everyone has to be thinking that I am the reason that we are in last place! Maybe I should just leave while I can.

Today we did send out a small news release. Steve Welsh decided to join our coaching staff from Boston United where he was working solely with the youth team. He cost us $2,000 to steal away, but he brings in a lot of knowledge that I hope will allow the lads to improve their game, and become a better team tactically and technically.

I also received other great news! Now I still haven’t been able to sign any new players. But I got some nearly equal news in that Matthews, Harper and Stuart Lake are now ok and ready to get back on the field as soon as they are fit enough. That will be a great strength to my team that is lacking in midfield quality really badly.

This seemed to be about the best week I have had as a Manager. I finally heard back from my scouts. Both seem to be aiming a bit high, telling me about younger guys in League 1 and the Championship for loan deals. I sent out offers to just about all 19 players that have been mentioned as all of them would be a huge improvement over what I have.

21 year old Rob Elliot accepted to join our cause. He is coming over from Charlton’s reserve team where he is playing his role as a backup. The Irish goalkeeper will take over our #1 jersey as he easily has the talent to beat out the competition from Nash and Lovett.

The next day Charlie Sheringham came to join us as well on a year long loan. The 19 year old striker come from Crystal Palace’s Reserve team where we had only managed to play in 3 games so far, but netted in 2! And that is what we need.

Hampton & Richmond vs. Bishop’s Stortford (Blue Square South)

@Woodside Park (Dry, 75*F)

I stick both Elliot and Sheringham into the lineup right away. Then the return of Stuart Lake sees him take the left side and Matthews takes the right side. To be honest this is the best lineup I have been able to field all season. And I am hoping for a vast improvement in this match.

We seemed to show that we were equals to Bishop. Too bad though that a defensive miscue in the 50th minute set us behind when we had been almost outplaying our opponents. And sadly that was enough to continue are too long to count streak of loses. And at this point I am just hoping that one day this can all end.

Hampton & Richmond 0 Bishop’s Stortford 1

(Pearson 51)

MOM: Greg Pearson (Bishop)

Attendance: 553

Goalkeeper Matt Lovett was the first true transfer that I have made in my management career. Since we picked up Rob Elliot on loan, Lovett’s $200 a week wages were just too much for a 3rd choice keeper. He is now going to be playing for Reddich United.

“What do you mean we can only have 2 season long loans in a year!?!†I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, I was sure that the limit was 4, at least it was last year.

“Sorry Cliff, the FA has turned down 3 players who have wanted to come play for us this season. I guess the rules must have changed.†Howe hated to be the barer of bad news that was for sure.

“We will just have to work with it then. Try to send out offers for short term loans to these players.†I handed him a paper of some quickly written names, I know it was barely readable, but I was sure he could decipher it.

Why didn’t the FA sent something or make some kind of statement about this? At least I never got one. I really wish my scouts would come back with players that I could actually get full transfers for instead of just loans.

And as if I needed more pressure. Newport County had tagged our upcoming game as a fan day, obviously due to them thinking it an easy win. Hopefully we wouldn’t oblige!

Hampton & Richmond vs. Newport County (Blue Square South)

@Newport Stadium (Dry, 78*F)

Well oblige we did, just inside of 2 minutes we were already a goal down due to some bad defensive marking and an easy breakaway goal from the Newport striker. I really don’t think this losing streak will ever really end!

I was really happy with how the team fought back. We created some really good chances, and controlled the tempo of the game, but for the first half at least, the equalizer just wouldn’t come. We continued to fight and outplay Newport all the way, but we just couldn’t score a goal! I really don’t know why we cant put shots on target. The game was over when Newport scored again in the 86th minute, off of a rebound.

Hampton & Richmond 0 Newport County 2

(Griffin 2, Sullivan 87)

MOM: Charlie Griffin (Newport)

Attendance: 1034 (the biggest crowd we have played in front of this year.)

I am sorry. I am ending this story prematurly. I just don't think it is entertaining enough. It's just too much game to game. And there really isn't any story to it. I will be starting a new story in a couple days when my 1 week is over. I promise this new one I am writing is accually pretty good. This story was just my first attempt, and I learned alot really quickly. So look forward to the next story, that yes, will still feature Clifton Mauer!

Archived