[FM13] A.S. Roma - Being a fan is our job

fyrefuze

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I continue to finish 2nd to Juventus every year on my game. 6 seasons played with the same result, last year we also lost 2-1 to them in the Coppa semi final. In the CL we defended awfully to lose 7-4 to Benfica in the last 16, relying on just the home grown players has resulted in a lack of quality at CB and now CM with De Rossi being 35 and almost finished. Juve have just changed their manager after Jorge Jesus retired so maybe that will give me more of a chance instead of losing by 4 or 5 points every year although they have signed one beast striker which is bad news. For us I have handed over the keeper shirt to a newgen to replace Amelia and some of my top newgen forwards are having to be trained as more creative players to play deeper as we only seem to produce poachers. As I said earlier I really need us to produce a top CM and a dominant CB, Romagnoli is good but it seems jumping ability is what makes epic defenders while we only have Viviani, Bertolacci and Adamo in CM, De Rossi is probably in his last year and we only have one newgen prospect who could be a Mascherano type player.

In other news we did break the Serie A highest scoring game record with this ridiculous encounter towards the end of last season (2017/18):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT80bvpp96M

Coming towards the end of the 2018/19 season and it looks like we are finally going to win the league, 8 points clear of Juve with 5 games to go after a tense battle all season. Their newgen beast striker they signed has been impressive with about 35 in all competitions so far but we have gone up a notch with our consistency and have 86 points at the moment. In the Champions League we drew Real Madrid after winning our group, managed to battle past them 2-1 away and waste time for a 0-0 at home. Next up was Valencia who we gave away a soft goal to at home early on before we made a silly comeback involving 3 goals from corners and a penalty to win 5-1. Played a defensive reserve side in the away leg and drew 3-3 for a 8-4 aggregate win. So guess who it is in the semis? Yes, Juventus who demolished PSG in the quarters and also hammered us 3-1 in the only league game we have played this season. Not overly confident of beating them but I expect us to put up a large fight.

My game has been weird these days. I am leading the serie A with 2 pts over Juventus and one game to go. Even a draw will help me secure 3rd consecutive scudetti. Coppa Italia and Champions League final to follow...

BUT the save is crashing as I get into the match and soon as I score... BAAAMMM.. that means either I have to wait for a scoreless tie or a patch from Sega. which ever comes first :(

Can you not just holiday for a day?

Yes I can but I am afraid I might not need to do so for the two finals. +I am sick of seeing Man City in CL finals all 3 times.

great thread, I was thinking about starting with roma and was a bit lost with what to do with the squad, am thinking of selling Pablo Osvaldo to raise some dosh and maybe pick up some players, how effective is Totti as striker? hoping he'll lead the line for me...might snap up Crespo on a free.

Sell Osvaldo?? Why do you need cash anyways? To buy some high potential kids - isn't it? but you already have many in your squad.

I donno know but its okay if are happy being a Wenger. Dont get it wrong but rise up fella and you have other areas to strengthen.

Totti is still excellent but hardly finishes a complete match and pretty injury prone.

great thread, I was thinking about starting with roma and was a bit lost with what to do with the squad, am thinking of selling Pablo Osvaldo to raise some dosh and maybe pick up some players, how effective is Totti as striker? hoping he'll lead the line for me...might snap up Crespo on a free.
why Crespo? keep in mind that he played for Lazio back in the day, and you will not need him anyway since you got good enough strikers already

its probably best to keep the squad mostly intact, the main weakness is at right back (Crascenzi and Sabelli have to potential to be good a few years down the line thought) and the lack of experiance in the defense, going forward you already have an outstanding line up that will bag you 80+ goals every season.....if you are to sell anyone it should probably be a midfielder since you have loads of those (and many more in the youth set up and out on loan/co-ownership), or Piris/Castan since those two are pretty awful on the game

current first team squad heading into the secound season:

Sergio Romero

Tomas Švedkauskas

Federico Balzaretti

José Ángel

Dodô

Gabriel Heinze

Alessio Romagnoli

Nicolas Burdisso

Marquinhos

Luca Antei

Alessandro Crascenzi

Loïc Nego

Matteo Brighi

Daniele De Rossi

Miralem Pjanic

Michael Bradley

Federico Viviani

Panagiotis Tachtsidis

Rodrigo Taddei

Marquinho

Erik Lamela

Alessandro Florenzi

Pablo Osvaldo

Francesco Totti

Mattia Destro

Marco Borriello

Gadji Junior Tallo

So I started with Roma and I have to say I'm really into this save.

Got off to a terrible start to my season and lost 4 or 5 matches on the trot and my job was in danger. A few tactical changes and some actual in match managing later I've recaptured my form and am on a 7 match win streak. Just won the Rome Derby 4-1 with Destro grabbing a hatrick, this win resulted in their manager being sacked as well! I'm in 4th now, tied with Fiorentina who are 3rd. My next match is Inter who are in 2nd, if I beat them I will be equal on points with them. Massive match.

Side notes: I sold Osvaldo for 17m up front because I planned to use Destro as my main striker. With that money I brought in Astori, Ekdal and Vossen. I also paid the clause in Marquinhos contract to buy him and also bought Bertolacci's other 50% stake.

Also, I have a problem with a lot of yellows, I evened changed my tackling to extra catious yet nothing has changed. Bradley got 2 yellows and sent off in both of his first two matches! De Rossi and Astori have already missed a match (because of 4 yellows) and I'm only about 10 matches in!

Good luck Punjaboom, I don't know about the tax thing as I'm only using youth players so money isn't a concern.

Bradley was a nutter for me also, seems like certain players consistently pick up yellows, for example Vidal at Juve got 7 reds in one year in my save. Bertolacci is a top player, you can't go wrong there, don't forget to get Destro on a free in January.

Yep, just signed Destro for free. Managed him on last years game and I have to say he's just as good, what a player. I've also singed Janmaat on a free to come in the summer, probably will sell Torosidis (I started with an updated database).

Vossen has been a massive flop and hasn't scored all season. Totti keeps getting injured even though I try to ease him back every time. Pjanic keeps picking up little 1 or 2 week injuries, massive shame since he's fantastic when he plays. Bradley has also been injured for a month and still has a month until he comes back. Hasn't been missed though as Tachtsidis has been immense in his place.

Vossen has been a massive flop and hasn't scored all season.
probably need to rub it in a bit extra then, Osvaldo scored 20 goals and got 9 assists in 32 games for me, spending much of that time out on the wing (unless I was playing 3-5-2 in which case he went up front)

that said, what kind of formation/tactic are you playing? Vossen should be capable of scoring a decent amount if you set him up in the right way, even if his attributes somewhat limit the amount of ways you can use him in

I'm playing a 4-5-1 control with him playing as DLF. Destro has been great in this role and even Totti when he occassionally plays has been good. I've loaned out Vossen to Chievo, if he doesn't do well there I'm going to sell him since Bojan is coming in the summer anyway. My tactics definitely work because I'm second in the league and only went out the cup on penalties.

I'm playing a 4-5-1 control with him playing as DLF. Destro has been great in this role and even Totti when he occassionally plays has been good. I've loaned out Vossen to Chievo, if he doesn't do well there I'm going to sell him since Bojan is coming in the summer anyway. My tactics definitely work because I'm second in the league and only went out the cup on penalties.
understandable then, I can only really see Vossen work out if he play as the spearhead, and operate as close to goal as possible with an attacking midfielder behind him (like say as a poacher in a 4-2-3-1 or a similar role in a 4-3-1-2), since his lack of physical and technical ability would be problematic in a different set up

I don't why you guys didn't had much luck with Bradley. He has been pretty good for me, not just wins the possession back but also puts in one or two screamers from the midfield. Does picks up a yellow in almost every game he plays but that's the part of his role isn't it?

One suggestion - If you are playing Bradley along side De Rossi put him on (BWM-Support) and De Rossi (DLP-def). Also if you like make him unlearn - "dive into tackles" and learn - "Get forward whenever possible".

He is my one of the favourite players but sadly his contract ends in 2016 and he is not interested in extending it with me. Just look at his screenshot above, there is no other player in game of that quality. Capoue comes the closest.

He's (Bradley) starting to get better, although he did recently get another red (that's 10 yellows and 3 reds and the seasons not even finished yet!). I like Bradley though, he is quite versatile. In one match where Pjanic and Ekdal were injured I had no one to play my creative midfielder role. Step up Bradley with his 14 finishing and 15 off the ball, set him as CM attack and he grabbed two goals :cool:

Things have just gotten really interesting in my save, I've played 33 matches in the league and somehow we have climbed the table and closed the gap on Juventus. We are just one point away from them. Their bad run of form seems to be from having to play in the latter stages of the Champions League. They are all the way into the semis and they've got Napoli and Inter in the league where they could drop points. However, the big challenge here is that Pjanic, Bradley, Lamela and Destro have all picked up injuries and are out for the season.

Can Totti save Rome one more time?

Table before the final match: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594744376256896288/63D649EEAF27A73BD47AF2E192C29264E975A02A/

So the league went to the last day of the season, if I won and Juventus even drawed I would win the league. They had Pescara at home, I had Palermo at home who had given me my biggest defeat of the season, 5-1 away. We took the lead on the 18th minute through Totti, then Bertolacci late in the game ensured a win by making it 2-0. Juventus were up 2-1 and then Pescara equalised in 57th minute. I was top of the table. My joy was shortlived though as Juventus scored a mere 3 mins later. They won 3-2 and have done the double. Actually, they're probably going to do the treble as they have the TIM cup now against Parma.

Table at the end of the season: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594744376256899250/4A6F9C47960F80AA8335E0635E0D5C2BB05A2EC9/

Roma and Juventus positions throughout the season: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594744376256997598/EAD5614F8D140863BC04E08AED1E862F4CC64E1A/

You can see that although we got off to a terrible start - 3 losses in first 4 matches - we only had one other loss the entire season and that was the aforementioned home battering by Palermo

Side note: Lazio were relegated, tbh I will miss them as the Rome derby is one of the main reasons I started this save. Milan avoided relegation on the last day which was very surprising! Also, Totti almost saved Rome, he kept scoring in Destro's absence and in the end Totti notched up 10 goals for the season. Is there any way to reduce his wages as I would like to keep him until 2015 but don't want to pay his 145k/week wages. I want him to stay purely for tutoring.

EDIT: Parma ended up winning the Cup against Juve! haha. Man Utd beat City in the Champions League final.

Is there any way to reduce his wages as I would like to keep him until 2015 but don't want to pay his 145k/week wages. I want him to stay purely for tutoring.

There surely is, I was in the same deli-ma at the end of my first season. I called him on for a chat and advised to be a coach in future.. He really wants to go into management and would like to make himself available for the coaching role. Offer him a player/coach contract ~50k and he will readily accept. I wanted to make him my assistant eventually but sadly he is not that good a coach. Taddei infact is excellent attacking coach. Do the same with him.

Man Utd beat City in the Champions League final.

Unfortunately Man City has been a pretty dominant force on my game. They have won the EPL all three times and been in the CL finals every time - won in first, lost to me in second and now yet play against me in the 3rd.

I talked to Totti last season and he has the staff attributes showing but I just right now offered him a player/coach contract and he doesn't want it. He wants to be a player and is asking for 99k/week. I'll probably negotiate again in a few months time when his contract doesn't have that long left.

For anyone interested my summer transfers were:

IN: Destro free

Janmaat free

Ait Fana free

Benassi free

Ospina free

Bellusci 3.5m

Verre 3.2m

A few high potential youngsters. One of which is 5 star ST my DoF found and signed for 100k!

OUT: Stekelenburg 20m

Leandro Castan 2.9m

Marquinho 2.9m

Brighi 1.1m

Question for those who have played more than 5 seasons in Italy: How about finances of SerieA clubs, power of top italian teams squads, reputation of league in Europe, competitiveness?

I'm now in 2020 and my finances are fine as I'm relying on the youth but Juve seem to spend a fair amount. During my whole save it has been me against Juve, everyone else is relatively rubbish, Juve also got 101 points last season and won the Champions League in 2019 so they can compete against anyone. As for club values both me and Juve are around £350m as about the 7th and 8th most valuable clubs in the world, a long way behind the English and Spanish though who are more like £1b.

So in my first season De Rossi came to me quietly and said he wanted to move to a bigger club but I said I could match his ambitions and get him Champions League football by next year. He agreed and said that is good. However, now I'm in November 2nd season and I'm topping the league and my Champions League group yet he's just handed in a transfer request. I rejected and then talked to him and this time said I would win the league this year. He said it's not good enough and then I got annoyed and did the aggressive tone stuff. He hasn't backed down and now it's left me in an awkward situation. He's obviously a legend so I really do not want to sell him, add to that he's one of the best DMs in the world even at 30. Fantastic tutor as well. I could put him in reserves or something but with a small squad and all these games it would be really challenging.

Any advice guys?

I don't why you guys didn't had much luck with Bradley. He has been pretty good for me, not just wins the possession back but also puts in one or two screamers from the midfield. Does picks up a yellow in almost every game he plays but that's the part of his role isn't it?

One suggestion - If you are playing Bradley along side De Rossi put him on (BWM-Support) and De Rossi (DLP-def). Also if you like make him unlearn - "dive into tackles" and learn - "Get forward whenever possible".

He is my one of the favourite players but sadly his contract ends in 2016 and he is not interested in extending it with me. Just look at his screenshot above, there is no other player in game of that quality. Capoue comes the closest.

Bradley have done fine for me, played about as well as expected, but his lack of ability when it comes to passing the ball is going on my nerves a bit.....and he just broke his leg vs Juve :(

So in my first season De Rossi came to me quietly and said he wanted to move to a bigger club but I said I could match his ambitions and get him Champions League football by next year. He agreed and said that is good. However, now I'm in November 2nd season and I'm topping the league and my Champions League group yet he's just handed in a transfer request. I rejected and then talked to him and this time said I would win the league this year. He said it's not good enough and then I got annoyed and did the aggressive tone stuff. He hasn't backed down and now it's left me in an awkward situation. He's obviously a legend so I really do not want to sell him, add to that he's one of the best DMs in the world even at 30. Fantastic tutor as well. I could put him in reserves or something but with a small squad and all these games it would be really challenging.

Any advice guys?

I would say his impact on the pitch is pretty minimal for a player on his wages but he is possibly the best tutor in the game and of course a club legend. I'd try to keep him but if he does go he is pretty replaceable.

I think I'm going to keep him, I'm in the Champions League Quarter finals now after beating Olympiacos in the 1st Knockout Round so he should become happy. I noticed something interesting though, the players are having problems motivating themselves to play for him when he is captain. Might strip him of vice captaincy since he's not fully committed to the club and give it to Davide Astori, who is very highly valued since he's been in the World team of the year two years running.

had already made it one and a half year in when the patch arrived so I will stick to my current save, dont really feel like redoing all player development I have done so far, and even if the data patch corrected a few issues I dont think its enough to tempt me into doing a restart

Marquinhos seriously not given an update??? He has been one of the best defenders in the Serie A this season!
dont get ahead of yourself, he have only been our best centerback, which does not say a lot in a context to the league, considering how bad our defense is irl

ok finally, I have made my save work. Won the League on last day by 2 pts, crushed Napoli 4-1 in the Coppa Italia final but lost to Man City in Champions League final b/c of a cruel penalty given against me. (will post the screen shots soon)

I'm going to give Roma a whirl as they look to have the potential to be set up to play how I want them to, tactically.

One question though lads, and I'd appreciate a quick answer/ opinion: What is the situation with a new stadium in real life? I have heard rumours of a new one around the 55,000/ 60,000 capacity in a similar mold to Juventus' new one. I have heard 4 years been mentioned.

Would you consider it to be a bit of a cheat to edit in a new 55k seater stadium, I'd be missing out on a some ticket sales especially against the big boys with it being smaller but no rent to pay.

Long time no update guys? where is everybody?

Lost some motivation for now. Lost a CL final 2-1 to Real Madrid which was frustrating so I still need to win the CL at some point but playing year after year with almost the same players with the same results is mentally not the most stimulating at times so I'm on another save. I'm playing that normally so I'll probably get an unbeatable team before long and after a bit of smashing everyone will get bored of that again and go back to Roma.

For me, SAf has retired and Man Utd have come calling for my signature. Huge deli-ma to go or not to go.

I mean one side Man Utd have Neymar, Rooney and 31y old RVP but they have sold both da-silva brothers, cleverly, young and valencia but have some 85M txr kitty.

Otherside I continue with my awesome Roma where I just signed Borini, Doumbia and Coutinho. So with Giusseppe De Rossi, Destro, Olsvaldo and Caprari I have 10 strikers in my squad and still 20m to spend. Can't part with any of them and can't keep all o them happy :p

any glaring differences anyone noticed since the update?

One major change which will affect the game is Destro's contract has been corrected until 2017 now, so if Roma wan't him, they'll have to pay around 4m for him I think it is...

Anybody starting a new save will find it tough to get decent bargains. like Destro, Bocchetti has lso signed a new deal and costs quiet a bit now. Vladimir Weiss has been downgraded and Marquinhos still the same.

Teams like Milan and Inter have given a huge boost and Fiorentina not far behind, League title has become interestingly tough.

End of 2014/15 Season Update

So I stopped playing when January update came out because of my OCD of having everything up to date. Overcame it and returned to my save last week. Dramatic stuff ensued afterwards.

I came back to my save in the middle of a ridiculous unbeaten streak, I continued this momentum and soon caught up with Juventus. Long story short I won the league by 7 points even though the title was neck and neck until about the last 2/3 matches.

The real story is the Champions League. I topped my group easily, beat Leverkusen comfortably in the 1st knockout round, beat Porto professionally in the quarter final, beat Real Madrid dramatically overturning a 2-0 first leg loss at the Bernabeu winning 3-0 at home, and lastly I then beat Barcelona in the final emphatically. They had a powerful front three of Messi, Falcao and David Silva (who won the Balon d'Or). Their midfield was the fantastic trio of Fabregas, Iniesta and Mascherano. Their weak point was probably their defense which included Montoya and Fontas, however they did have Pique and Alba with ter Stegen in goal. I ended up scoring in the injury time of the first half with a Pjanic goal. That was the only goal of the match and I won 1-0.

For anyone interested, my tactic for about half the season was a 5-3-2 with De Rossi as the middle centre back in a ball playing defender role. However I switched back to the 4-5-1 for the remainder of the season with a control and fluid strategy. My starting 11 is as follows:

DR/full back/s - Crescenzi

DC/centre back/d - Bellusci

DC/ball playing/d - Astori

DL/full back/s - Jose Angel

DM/anchor man/d - De Rossi

MC/bwm (sometimes DLP)/s - Tachtsidis/Bertolacci

MC/adv. playmaker/a - Pjanic/Bertolacci

AMR/inside forward/a - Lamela

AML/inside forward/s - Florenzi

ST/poacher/a - Rossi

Bertolacci is a fantastic player and I thoroughly recommend everyone buys his other 50% stake. Rossi was terrible at first not scoring in his first 14 matches, I then switched him from DLF to poacher and he banged the goals in. Finished with a decent 21 goals from 35(11) appearances.

I've secured the signing of Capuano from Pescara on a free. Been tracking him since the first season and was going to buy him for around 8m but then his price shot up to around 25m since he started playing very well. Great signing since he was in the Serie A team of the year.

Also signed Viktor Fischer as my back up AML, will be selling Karim Ait Fana because of Viktor's arrival. I first tried to get Dusan Tadic on a free but he decided to go to At. Madrid.

Haha forgot to mention the keepers. Well I had Ospina play every match last season but this season he only played 8 matches. My first choice is now Bardi who I signed from Inter. He played 43 matches and was very good. I only conceded 19 goals in the league this whole season, to be honest that's quite impressive. I'm not sure whether that is because I retain possession a lot or because my defense is so solid, probably a mixture of both. I've sold Ospina for a bargain 5.25m since I prefer Italian players. Perin is my back up although I have a 5 star 18 year old up and coming.

Archived