[FM13] A.S. Roma - Being a fan is our job

fyrefuze

Interesting name you've picked there, barone is one of the words for "cheater" in Italian. :D

Still, you seem to be doing really well and I like how you snatched a draw against Bologna with a 90+5 minute penalty. What's your league position atm, the third screenshot seems to suggest top spot or very close?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well (as in words of FM text) there are no prizes to guess the leaders of Serie A table. But here is one for the fellow managers.

jansurprise_zpsf91b01cb.jpg

I am not sure if the board is pleased with my standing in the league or a reward to small improvement in the finances that I bought to the club by arranging friendlies in the long Sept and Oct break.

I am really happy to utilize the funds and poach some quality players on free.

Bosmanjan13_zpsd94ed437.jpg

yes Bocchetti will be a great addition to backline especially when I am planning to play 3 at back next season. Only his mentals (concentration and composure) to keep a check on. But overall he is better than Castan and Burdisso and comes on free.

Aftre spending half a season with Roma I now feel apt to update the tactics section. let me know if you guys need some more depth.

How do you choose which tactic to use for each game? I'm running with similar tactics but I can't seem to choose the right tactic game to game.

I generally play the 4-5-1, works like a charm against most formations... and change to more direct 4-3-3 depending on weather. But these two suffer against the teams playing with 5 mids (like Juventus and Fiorentina) so I use 4-2-3-1. The 3 attacking mids sit and look to receive the ball between the oppositions mid and defence with counter on it often creates a 4 vs 3 situation and thus I create and convert chances. Even if I don't enjoy the most possession I am able to stretch opposition's midfield and force them to play out of shape.

Quick Update - Romario joined on free and got Nene on loan from PSG on the last day of January transfer window. He was frustrated with the lesser playing time and competition of places at PSG.

He is definitely the starter on my right wing and a tutor for youngsters.

Just got a Roma game going now... gone a different route in that im trying to win things with 'Yesterdays Heroes'... basically my squad is all over 30 (pretty much!)

Crespo, Zambrotta, Hargreaves and Grosso on Free's

Luca Toni for 900k

Andrea Dossena for 4.3m

Camoranesi for 7.75m

Di Natale for 10.5m

Gattuso for 3.8m

Ronaldinho for 6.5m

Miccoli for 9m

and Mancini coming back to Roma in January for around 4m

Lamela, Osvaldo and Pjanic all sold.

Just got a Roma game going now... gone a different route in that im trying to win things with 'Yesterdays Heroes'... basically my squad is all over 30 (pretty much!)

Crespo, Zambrotta, Hargreaves and Grosso on Free's

Luca Toni for 900k

Andrea Dossena for 4.3m

Camoranesi for 7.75m

Di Natale for 10.5m

Gattuso for 3.8m

Ronaldinho for 6.5m

Miccoli for 9m

and Mancini coming back to Roma in January for around 4m

Lamela, Osvaldo and Pjanic all sold.

Interesting. Be vary of physical side of Serie A this ain't no La Liga where skill beats all.

January was a tough month not only had to fend off the interests of European Vultures. Priority was to keep my players grounded and motivated. The fixture list was full of Juventus, Juventus and Juventus. Yes literally, well Inter in betwwen first two... I was on 20 games unbeaten run and had to preserve it.

jan12fix_zps6da3be92.jpg

Did managed to cruise through thumping Le Zebre in the Coppa Italia Semis 6-1 on aggregate.

Time for a new challenge and a Roma save which I usually play every year. I had been playing with Inter and creating an all Italian team but it does still get a bit easy after a few years so I'm taking things a step further with Roma and only allowing myself to bring in players from the youth team. This includes players who are home grown at the club but have since left, hopefully in time I will be able to move out the current key players who are not from the youth team but for now I need them to meet any expectations as otherwise the team would be De Rossi, Florenzi, Totti and nobody.

Anyway I have played one season with only Ferronetti coming in until Amelia joined in January and Stekelenburg was shipped off to Barcelona, the on pitch performance has been good although the new patch seems to make a lottery of things with stupid dribbles and even worse defending. Anyway we finished 2nd in the table which was above my expectations, predictably Juve were top by 18 points and we were 2 ahead of Milan. Coppa Italia I saw as irrelevant and the young players were beaten 2-1 in extra time in the QF against Napoli.

Results themselves were crazy in the league, only lost 4 games but one was 3-0, one 5-1 and one 5-0, so random. Mainly playing 4-4-1-1 but towards the end of the season played 4-4-2 with Osvaldo and Destro doing well upfront while Pjanic can dribble the entire opposition from CM. This was also necessitated by Bradley getting himself booked or sent off every game and being suspended, he has since gone to Arsenal for £15m, I appreciated his effort but he really was a nutter. Top performers from season 1 were probably Pjanic and Florenzi with mentions to Osvaldo, Lamela, Destro and also Tachtsidis who was playing CB for some height back there.

Just started season 2 and I kept hold of Destro although he isn't a home grown player he was a squad member so I see it more as keeping him than signing him, Taddei has been released and Castan sold due to being rubbish. Marquinho has also gone as well as Borriello and Jose Angel, some of the young players are coming along well and should be able to play a few more games this year, some of the good looking non regens include Antei, Romagnoli, Adamo, Capradossi, Frediani and Mazzatelli.

Current first team squad looks like this:

GK: Amelia, Curci

DF: Balzaretti, Burdisso, Antei, Ferronetti, Crescenzi, Tachtsidis, Romagnoli, Piris

MF: De Rossi, Lamela, Pjanic, Florenzi, Viviani, Brighi, Bertolacci

FW: Osvaldo, Destro, Totti, Caprari

I could not resist it anymore and have now loaded up my save, the addition of the DoF and the improvements to co-ownership (you can now offer a player out on co-ownership and you can also loan co-owned players!) will make it feel a lot more realistic to play in Italy

trying to make up my mind on which type of football I should aim to play now

Pretty tempted to make a Roma save, could be my Italian save this season. Playing with Pjanic and Lamela.....yeah

Not Just Pjanic and Lamela, most of the wonder-kids in Italy are associated with Roma. Either out on loan or co-owned. Budgets are tight for first two seasons but with such a vast talent at your disposal you don't need them.

I'm just trying to decide once I earn the Italian Hero achievement to start a fresh Roma save or to simply start from when Roma offers me a contract...thoughts?

Start afresh. You might not find the current gems by the time you get an offer.

I started an unemployed save and Roma came knocking after they had dropped to 14th place in 2013. As a closet Lazio fan (it was the Del monte logo back in '00 that got me) I felt a teensy bit bad running Roma. But I was not disappointed at the well-stocked shelves handed to me in December. No transfer kitty (<2M) to help me so I had to rescue the team from the bottom of the table with what I could find.

I experimented with tactics and got that message "the Tinkerer" as I piled up wins to crawl back up the table. Finished in 1st and had the summer to try and figure out what to do to bring Euro success. Lamela was loaned out all season, so I didn't see him until 13/14 and he was good, but not great. Fast forward to 16/17 and he pipped Messi to the Golden Ball. I've never, in years of playing FM, ever had a player win the golden ball. A very exciting moment for me.

Pjanic was also very good as my AMC until Tottenham paid me 29M pounds for his services.

Caprari took some time to develop but he has become a lethal AMR with great scoring touch and passing skill.

I got Destro on a free at the end of the 2013 season and he has been one of the best strikers in Serie A for the last 3 years.

All things considered, Roma have given me one of my most memorable FM saves ever.

16/17 also was the season I convinced the board that a new stadium was a good idea. Again, never had a new stadium, and they even named it after me. I read threads where this happens to people and I always end up saying maybe next year.

Forza Roma!

Not Just Pjanic and Lamela, most of the wonder-kids in Italy are associated with Roma. Either out on loan or co-owned. Budgets are tight for first two seasons but with such a vast talent at your disposal you don't need them.

Is it easy to buy the other half of the co-owned players? Really think I might give this save a go now :)

Is it easy to buy the other half of the co-owned players? Really think I might give this save a go now :)

I had no trouble buying out the co-owned players, but I hate the concept of co-ownership so you'll never see it when I'm the team manager.

Played too long in the premiership and co-ownership hurts my brain.

Yes. Good part is that all the good co-owned players are between Roma and lower clubs and they don't have any money. I'll post my second season txrs soon.

I'm with you Ranquelme, my goal when I start Roma will be to turn it into an Italian Powerhouse that will lead the national team to glory. Lamela is in my eyes and adopted Roman so he's staying, everyone else will be replaced...eventually.

I've just reached the end of the second season where again we finished 2nd to Juve after a close battle for most of the season. I say most as we fell away at the end after concentrating on a remarkable Champions League run which saw us knock out Dynamo Kiev, Man City and Real Madrid on our way to a final against Barcelona. In an absolutely comical match we lost 6-5 after extra time, it was just a total lottery of who scored more as defending appeared to be non existent, to be honest it's also the match which has made me wait for yet another patch to fix the problems in the ME as the really are quite poor, Iniesta running the length of the pitch without facing a challenge to score one of their goals for example, our goals were very similar. There were also 6 woodworks in the match, it would've been the greatest match of all time if I could actually credit it with anything resembling a football match.

Anyway if and when things to get fixed the squad now only has 2 non Roma products in Balzaretti and Tachtsidis who nobody wanted in the summer, Lamela went to Dortmund, Destro to Leverkusen and Pjanic to Man Utd.

romalosses2012-13_zpsc18fc891.jpg

I expected a good return to double winning season but as we all know finances in Italy are really stretched. No body wants to buy your dead wood so I have to just wait for their contract to run down. I only managed to sell Burdisso after agreeing to pay half of his blown up wages for remainder of the contract.

Burdissoout_zpsc0fb8084.jpg

It doesn't stop here I was surprised that even the lack of funds have not lowered board expectations and still want me to challenge for the title.

Season2budgets_zps19c567f0.jpg

All this means I have to soldier on against the team like Man Utd (spent ~80M on Neymar, Baines and Sakho) and Arsenal (who spent ~50M) and get some good Champions League money in. I am happy to retain my core squad +the freebies.

2013summertxrs_zps4969e890.jpg

Though strictly not required but I was not able to resist the temptation to sign Belfodil.

after a somewhat shaky preseason of trying to make a tactic a bit similar to how Roma currently plays irl and then a failed attempt at a brazilian box, I decided to take some inspiration

, so it was time to keep developing the 3-5-2 I started to work on back on fm12, and whenever my players figure out its a good plan to stay fit (Pjanic did his hamster in my first competive game :rolleyes: , and I have also had a bunch of minor injuries), I plan to use this XI for most games:

606985_AS_Roma.jpg

How would you guys recreate the 4-6-0 roma played using the TC? I tried a version I saw on another site but it didn't really work. The two cms on attack just seem to get too far ahead of the play.

What roles would you guys give the midfield?

How would you guys recreate the 4-6-0 roma played using the TC? I tried a version I saw on another site but it didn't really work. The two cms on attack just seem to get too far ahead of the play.

What roles would you guys give the midfield?

Quite right point there mate, even I started this save with a similar idea in mind. Replicating Luciano Spalletti's 4-6-0 which astonishingly defeated Inter 6-2 in Coppa Italia Final.

4-6-0 is not an easy formation to employ and only a number of teams in club and international football, debatably, have the personnel use it successfully. You need the right players to pull-off a 4-6-0. The midfielders not just capable of keeping possession but able to provide options off the ball, anticipate potential passes, run the angles, swap positions, press quickly to win back possession and pull opponents away from their roles.

People say that Spalletti adopted this system b/c an injury situation forced his hand, indeed if Spalletti had a full squad to choose from he may not have used 4-6-0 at all.

The closest I could get was with 4-1-2-3.

Bradley (BWM-support), Tachtsidis (BBM) and De Rossi (DLP - Support/Def)

It was last season so I really don't have screenshot available and it didn't worked so well for me in the friendlies I tried. To my conclusion mainly cause the squad is not in exactly same shape.

1. Piris is no Pannuci, he seriously lacks that attacking flair to overlap and cross from the byline.

2. Lack of Winger/IF on right wing. Taddei is not fast and avg on crossing and Lamela is not natural yet.

3. Tachtsidis is not for midfield. He might be tall, strong and good a passer of ball but he lacks the key mental stats (of Pizzaro).

4. New Match Engine s**ks. It is not able to do the justice with tactics implementing inside forwards and trequartista.

I'm with you Ranquelme, my goal when I start Roma will be to turn it into an Italian Powerhouse that will lead the national team to glory. Lamela is in my eyes and adopted Roman so he's staying, everyone else will be replaced...eventually.

Just to touch on this, in my 5th season, I only have 5 non Italians (Dodo, Marquinhos, Vidal, Lamela, Pjanic) Dodo and Marquinhos haven't played for Brazil yet and will be eligible for Italy at the end of the season :D

The squad is

Viviani/Regen

Belluschi/Santos

Bocchetti/Marquinhos

Astori

Balzaretti/Dodo

De Rossi/Vidal

Verratti/Bertolacci

Cigarani/Pjanic

Lamela

Rossi/Destro/Paloschi/Totti (who doesn't want to retire at the age of 39 with shockingly bad physical stats)

Pjanic will be sold, Vidal is a stop gap until a powerhouse Italian midfielder pops up

Quite right point there mate, even I started this save with a similar idea in mind. Replicating Luciano Spalletti's 4-6-0 which astonishingly defeated Inter 6-2 in Coppa Italia Final.

4-6-0 is not an easy formation to employ and only a number of teams in club and international football, debatably, have the personnel use it successfully. You need the right players to pull-off a 4-6-0. The midfielders not just capable of keeping possession but able to provide options off the ball, anticipate potential passes, run the angles, swap positions, press quickly to win back possession and pull opponents away from their roles.

People say that Spalletti adopted this system b/c an injury situation forced his hand, indeed if Spalletti had a full squad to choose from he may not have used 4-6-0 at all.

The closest I could get was with 4-1-2-3.

Bradley (BWM-support), Tachtsidis (BBM) and De Rossi (DLP - Support/Def)

It was last season so I really don't have screenshot available and it didn't worked so well for me in the friendlies I tried. To my conclusion mainly cause the squad is not in exactly same shape.

1. Piris is no Pannuci, he seriously lacks that attacking flair to overlap and cross from the byline.

2. Lack of Winger/IF on right wing. Taddei is not fast and avg on crossing and Lamela is not natural yet.

3. Tachtsidis is not for midfield. He might be tall, strong and good a passer of ball but he lacks the key mental stats (of Pizzaro).

4. New Match Engine s**ks. It is not able to do the justice with tactics implementing inside forwards and trequartista.

This was the one I was using http://forum.fm-view.net/topic/14579-understanding-the-4-6-0/

I tried some changes like dropping the mcc back into DLP but I couldn't really get it working.

The one in that link does seem like an accurate description of how they played but it just doesn't seem to translate in the ME.

This was the one I was using http://forum.fm-view.net/topic/14579-understanding-the-4-6-0/

I tried some changes like dropping the mcc back into DLP but I couldn't really get it working.

The one in that link does seem like an accurate description of how they played but it just doesn't seem to translate in the ME.

What I used looked something like a diode (electrical engg :p).

614742_AS_Roma.jpg

Huh interesting, I tend to stick with a 4-1-2-1-2 when playing any team although I'll change up the secondary and tertiary tactics depending on what I have on the team. Nice Ranquelme I think Astori and Bocchetti in the back are essential the two of them are like a fortress together.

Archived