"Walls of Eric" FM 13.1.3 (Hybrid of Return of the King & The Wall)

Due to my Laptop getting ready to be thrown out of the window i thought i'd better get this uploaded before the afformentioned actually happens!

If like me after the new patch your favourite tactic decided to let you down with problems like your right back having a cuppa when the opposing winger is running at him or your centre backs decide to split like a bad hair parting and let that useless slow stiker run between them and cooly slot the winning goal home, then this tactic might be right up your street!

This tactic is by no means a Diablo tactic, so if you haven't the right players in the right position don't expect to win the prem at the first try with Wigan or Reading (no disrespect to these teams of course)

But with my previous ROTK tactic attacking was like a cross between Barca & Man Utd! all i needed was a defnce to stop leaking stupid goals as my results were either winning 4-3, even 7-4 then to lose 7-2, scoring was never the problem. So i decide to try and use "The Wall" tactic as a defensive base and mine as the attacking threat. (Thanks to Mr U Rosler for the Wall Tactic) and to my suprise suddenly i was winning 3-0, 2-0, 5-1, 1-0, 3-0.....Liking the clean sheets and the goals scored, possession seems to be always in my favour except maybe Man City away, and CCC's seem to be quite high averaging around 4 a game, but the beauty of this i am finding is if like City away they dominated you in possession the counter attack style is a joy to behold.

This is where the right players come in.

The Tactic

Formation – 4-4-2

4-4-2 is my favourite tactic as i like wide midfielder who help out in defence but i also like to have 2 strikers as i usually have about 10 in my squad as i get excited in the transfer windows and they are all i seem to buy!

This formation gives you a perfect balance between defence and attack. with counter attacking against the big team coming into effect and against smaller teams you just seem to bulldoze them out of the way!

Philosophy - Fluid

I have gone with fluid as it seems to keep everything flowing well when on the counter, but please feel free to have a play about with this.

Strategy - Counter

As mentioned above gone with counter as against the big teams it really comes into effect and against smaller opposition you just attack, attack, attack!

Players, i don't see much point in listing attribute apart from the ones where they are really important, if you know FM you will know what is needed in most postions

GK– Goalkeeper (Defend) usual attributes BUT needs good kicking & throwing i would say 15+ in Prem he is also set to distribute to my RB but if your LB is better on the ball change it.

DL/R – Fullback (Defend) all i wanted them to do is defend and give the ball to the wingers for the counter attack, usual attributes here not to attack mided though, more Micah Richards than Glen Johnson

DC x 2 - Central Defender (Defend) Both big strong CB's are prefered with pace 14+ in Prem, smaller CB's with pace should work but i find the right sided CB your best header as he will get a few goals from corners and free kicks. they keep it nice and simple with defense their 1st priority

CM x2 - Box to Box - Good work rate, passing, tacking, heading (sets a lot of attacks up from opposing goal kicks) and pace is also an asset here i would say 13+ in Prem

These guys are important to your team, if you can get Simao Mate Junior or similar in your team he is immense here

Keep the BWM as they help out keeping the clean sheets, i have tried it here with mor attacink players but you will give chances away, your wide men do all the creating.

ML/MR – Winger - PACE....PACE....PACE...the faster the better, crossing needs to be high as does dribbling, they will set most of the goals up on the counter so make sure these 2 are class acts for your division.

I love watching these 2 make mugs out of the opposing fullbacks!

STL – Advanced Forward - will get you the most goals, i have found a tall powerful, clinical striker works the best as with all the crosses raining in he gets plenty of headers, usual attributes needed for a good striker for your division, even someone like Andy Carroll might do well here!

STR - Deep Lying Forward - Important player in the machine here, needs to be pretty quick, high stats on creativity , passing, flair and off the ball, Think someone like Rooney would be amazing if you are playin as man utd or Suarez if your Loserpool.

Training and Team Talks

General training set to team cohesion and match to def position but these are just my prefernces so havve a play about with them

Team talks i use my assistant at the beginning as he is high in motivation & man mangement, if not winning at half time i usually go for an aggressive dissapointed and it gets a good response, but again use you own as you prefer. just keep morale high

Opposition Instructions and Shouts

Dont bother with the tbh, but feel free to let me know what works etc

I will try and get some screenshots up later but for now here is the tactic http://speedy.sh/AB3GW/Walls-of-Eric.tac any feedback is welcome good or bad and if anyone makes any improvemtent please feel free to share

Good Luck

I'm Barnsley in 2017/2018 season

nice! would you say they are a mid size team, or have you managed to make them a top team by now? in other words, do you think this tactic can work for any team, or is it specific to better ones?

i would say i am a top 6 side tbh, but not sure if that is my players or my tactic! My board don't let me pay silly wages so haven't really got superstars on over £100k a week

my starting 11 is something like this

GK Ochoa

DR Adam Matthews

DL Marcio (regen)

DCL Stefan Strandberg

DCL Matthias Ginter

ML Nathan Redmond

MR Schellotto

MCL Simao Mate Junior

MCR Pepe (regen)

STR Forestieri

STL Ademilson or Audren (regen)

Due to my Laptop getting ready to be thrown out of the window i thought i'd better get this uploaded before the afformentioned actually happens!

My laptop is currently having a new hard drive fitted, it was broken after i punched said laptop after conceeding from a corner in the 96th minute. It wouldn't be so bad but this is the second time in 18 months :-(

Anyone know of a good anger management course?!

that sounds like a good side, but not amazing, so the results you posted are very very good. have you tested further?

upto now i have played 15 & won 15, scoring 44 and conceding 8! and arsenal are top of the league and just look at what we have done to them :D

arsenal.jpg

First game tested with my Bradford save was against Huddersfield in the cup, was 2-0 down at half-time and just thought it was another one of thoose tactics that doesn't work. Then made 3 subs and gave the lads an aggresive team-talk. FT result 4-2 to us!:) Two wonder free-kicks and 2 on the counter! Will let you know how it goes on in the league

My laptop is currently having a new hard drive fitted, it was broken after i punched said laptop after conceeding from a corner in the 96th minute. It wouldn't be so bad but this is the second time in 18 months :-(

Anyone know of a good anger management course?!

The trials and tribulations of FM hey!

First game tested with my Bradford save was against Huddersfield in the cup, was 2-0 down at half-time and just thought it was another one of thoose tactics that doesn't work. Then made 3 subs and gave the lads an aggresive team-talk. FT result 4-2 to us!:) Two wonder free-kicks and 2 on the counter! Will let you know how it goes on in the league

Don't think any tactic you can just play one game and expect it to work, my team was already very adept at playing 4-4-2 so didnt take long to get working also Bradfor v Huddersfield my money would have been on Huddersfield TBH! glad you won though

upto now i have played 15 & won 15, scoring 44 and conceding 8! and arsenal are top of the league and just look at what we have done to them :D

arsenal.jpg

great result! is your tackling % normally that low? how many CCC's do you manage to create a game on average?

I've got the 'hump' now about working late..........Desperate to try the tactic... I'd throw a 'sickie' but I did that last week......

Gonna have to 'lurk' here all day.......

join the club mate! dont even have work to do today... but have to stay here untill 5... ANTI FM CORPORATE MO-FO's :p

I've got the 'hump' now about working late..........Desperate to try the tactic... I'd throw a 'sickie' but I did that last week......

Gonna have to 'lurk' here all day.......

LOL, hope it lives upto expectations then!

This has just happened on my save.....Both CM's injured 3-4 months.....Bot LB's injured 3-4 months.....Main striker injured 3-4 months....Main CB injured 1-2 months!

Then what happens after a 17 game winning run i lose 1-0 at home to Norwich! Makes you think the ME just wants to screw you over at times :confused:

I know it was a good win! Some results here for you:

vs Rotherham (H) 0-2 L

vs Exeter (A) 3-1 W

vs Accrington (H) 1-1 D

vs Swansea (H) 1-2 L

vs Oxford (H) 1-1 D

vs Port Vale (A) 2-0 W

vs Torquay (A) 2-2 D (Conceded 2 in last 5 mins-.-)

vs Fleetwood (H) 3-0 W

vs Aldershot (A) 2-1 W

vs Chesterfield (H) 1-1 D

So mixed results really, away we seem to win more but at home its rarely we win. Also we always seem second best in most of our games and on average we have like 5 shots every game. Will continue using it to see if it becomes even better. So far I like it for away games but need to change something about home:) Good work anyways mate

Haha exactly like me. I wouldn't mind, but I left my work laptop at home which has fm on! Could have got away with it :-(

i actually brought my laptop to work so i can play on the train ride in, but these ANTI FM CORPORATE MO-FO's wont let me hve it open on my desk, or leave my desk to go use it somewhere else, even though im doing f*ck all!!!! im pissed off......

LOL, hope it lives upto expectations then!

This has just happened on my save.....Both CM's injured 3-4 months.....Bot LB's injured 3-4 months.....Main striker injured 3-4 months....Main CB injured 1-2 months!

Then what happens after a 17 game winning run i lose 1-0 at home to Norwich! Makes you think the ME just wants to screw you over at times :confused:

You cant win them all and it would be boring if you did. Those injuries do seem to come in clusters, just when you really dont need them.

As someone said, "just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there not out to get you......"

You cant win them all and it would be boring if you did. Those injuries do seem to come in clusters, just when you really dont need them.

As someone said, "just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there not out to get you......"

So true my friend!.....I just know that i am gonna struggle now as my squad just isn't big enough to cope with the injuries, nearly the end of the season and i am joint top with Arsenal! if i can finish in a CL place i will be happy though

I have only done a small test with Reading with origional squad and it did ok won 9, drew 3, lost 4 i think.

I have only really used it for my Barnsley save which i have a decent team in so i guess its all about the correct players.

Calpol not sure why you aren't winning at home, what are your team expectations? as you have to be realistic if your still Bradford, how good is your squad?

Skintsaint i keep on counter all the time but have a play about with it and see how you get on.

Started as Spurs as looking at most PL squads it was most suited without going for Citeh.

Preseason reads:

v Reserves : 1-0 win - The reserves were actually mostly first teamers, and playing the same formation cancelled each other out pretty much. A Bale goal was enough to win it.

v Leyton Orient : 4-0 Win - Easy win but only 3 CCC created which was a concern which is why I highlighted the fact do I go attacking?

v Ceara : 0-0 - Dominated possession but couldn't carve out many openings.

v Criciuma : 3-0 Win - Changed from 'Counter' to 'Standard' - Dominated possession again, with 12 shots on goal although only one CCC. More impressive than the game v Ceara.

v Guarani : 2-0 Win - Stayed with 'Standard' - Again possession wise good, 10 chances created with 2 CCC. Still no goals conceded which is impressive.

v Internacional : 6-2 Win - Ok ****ed about with the settings here, they played a narrow 4132 so I decided to go back to 'Counter' and use shouts to keep it narrow and to exploit wings....2-0 down pretty quick...got rid of the shouts...6-2 win...5 CCCs created. Lesson learnt.

v Atl Goianiense : 2-0 Win - 'Counter' with no shouts...Easy win again, defence looked solid with lower possession this game but 10 shots at goal.

Been impressed with the defensive side but the attacking part is worrying me (but can't complain about results haha!), just hope its players getting fit and used to tactics!

Will update after some league games!

Have been running this variation of the Wall for the last 10 matches with York in Division 1. 7 wins, 2 losses and a draw,

Thoughts as follows:

- not as tight defensively as the original Wall

- offensively however its a lot stronger than the Wall

- STL is key, your best striker should be placed here. As mentioned by Ady911, pace is crucial in this position.

All in all, its an improvement over the original Wall. The slightly weaker defense is more than compensated by the stronger offense. I'm toyed with using the original Wall to defend leads once I have it but hardly seems necessary once you have a two goal lead.

Just started a new save with Crewe...Predicted to finish 20th in league 1 so lets see how we do in the lower leagues with this tactic!

Fancied Crewe so in the future i can get a good production line of talented kids coming through.

Not a bad start to my reign!

crewe.jpg

ady! how do you play the game? Full match? key? commentary only? oh and at what speed! i get some strange results by messing about with how you view!

All depends on how much time i have, i always like to at least see the key highlights

Update on my Crewe save is i am struggling to get it to work i'm afraid, really struggling to score due to not being able to get players fast enough i am usually the better team with loads of possession but just cant create enough chances, my strikers are quite good for league 1 but all my midfield just isn't up to playing with this tactic.

Being in league one there just isnt the players that would drop to this division to work!

So maybe this is just for Premiership teams that have or can attract the quick players a counter attacking tactic like this!

If anyone gets any better results in the lower leagues please share your thoughts so i can maybe make it more suitable for lower end teams

Hi Ady, I am struggling to beat lesser teams, Im not losing but probably having the same issues as you are in your Crewe game. I am Liverpool in 2nd season and was thinking about changing to attacking or control against certain teams. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Right just an update of this tactic i created, carried on with my crewe game and 2nd season lost in playoffs, 3rd season league 1 champions!!!!!

It is all about getting the fastest players in each position possible like my right back wasn't even that good but had pace/acc of 16 and romped up and down the wing!

2 hard working mc's plenty of strength & stamina as well as pace if poss and it works a treat, but most important is the left sided striker if you have a goal machine here for the standard of your league here tears it up

crewe-1.jpg

santini.jpg

So my advice is stick with your plan ie i took over crewe knowing it would be a struggle due to board restriction etc but after nearly getting promoted 2nd season i achieved my goal in the 3rd! just dont expect your team if its not that great to get promotion after promotion when really that isn't realistic

Archived