And now for something completely different - toiling in Eastern Europe and Beyond

withnail316

September

UPL: Odesa 0-4 Chornomorets

A solid victory against our cross-city rivals. Goals from Korneev (2) Sereda and Zozulya

Europa League Group D: PSV 1-0 Chornomorets

Not a great performance as we open our defence of the Europa League. PSV dominated most of the game and got a deserved victory.

UPL: Chornomorets 1-2 Metalurh Donetsk

This wasn't a great display either, which was infuriating. Over my time in Ukraine I've had some shocking losses at home, and this was one of them. Even our goal was an OG.

UC: Krymteplytsya 0-2 Chornomorets

Back on form in the cup thanks to a couple of changes. The recalled Franck Dja Djedje bagging a brace which sees us safely through the tie.

UPL: Karpaty 0-2 Chornomorets

A fine win which ensures we stay top of the league at the end of the month. Edgar Kararapetyan with his first for the club, and Illya Mykhalyov with the second on his return to his old club.

september18.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October

Europa League Group D: Chornomorets 3-0 Panathinaikos

A much better performance in the Europa League saw us pick up our first points of the campaign. Ivan Bobko, Illya Mykhalyov and Pervushin sealed it.

UPL: Chornomorets 0-1 Metalurh Zaporizhya

Twenty shots on goal to their 1, yet we lose 1-0. I'm beginning to think I've achieved as much as I can in Ukraine and might need a change of scenery.

UPL: Metalist 1-1 Chornomorets

Before this game I'd expressed an interest in the Hamburg job, but this was a massive game to get back into. Despite falling behind on the half hour, we were the better side for much of the game, and Franck Dja Djedje ensured we got a deserved point 15 minutes from time.

Europa League Group D: Chornomorets 2-0 Toulouse

A solid win puts us in a good position in the group. Kararapetyan and Dja Djedje with a goal in either half.

UPL: Chornomorets 1-0 Kryvbas

A mediocre performance (and 8 yellow cards) but a win is a win. Jackson Mapunda got the only goal 10 minutes from time.

UC: Metalurh Donetsk 4-1 Chornomorets

This was a disgrace of a performance in the cup, the type of result that has me considering my position. Simply not good enough from start to finish. Dja Djedje with our goal.

october18.png

November

UPL: Sevastopol 1-3 Chornomorets

Back to winning form after our shocker in the cup. Goals from Fabricio, Mapunda and an OG.

Europa League Group D: Toulouse 0-1 Chornomorets

A result that gives us one foot in the next round, Mykhalyov the hero after good work from Fabricio.

UPL: Chornomorets 2-0 Dnipro

A fine performance against our rivals, with goals from Korneev and Kararapetyan.

UPL: Olimpic Donetsk 1-2 Chornomorets

A good although tired performance in Donetsk that we owed to our wingers. Both Bobko and Zozulya were on the score sheet ahead of the massive game against Shakhtar next week.*

UPL: Chornomorets 1-0 Shakhtar Donetsk

A wonderful win against the champions, and one which has left their manager Ruud Gullit clinging to his job by his fingertips. Antoliy Sereda was the hero, nodding home Fabricio’s whipped free kick just after half time.

December

UPL Goverla 1-3 Chornomorets

Another league win, and again our skipper Ivan Bobko was influential. He scored one and made two for Zozulya and Grischenko as we end 2018 on top of the table.

ny1819.png

Europa League Group D: Chornomorets 3-1 PSV

A fine win against the Dutch side, which confirmed our place in the knock out stages, and as group winners too. Kararapetyan scored two beauties and Mykhalyov grabbed the other.

Europa League Group D: Panathinaikos 0-2 Chornomorets

A fantastic finish to the group stage, and achieved with a few players rested, too. Goals from Mapunda and Kararapetyan.

groupd1819.png

Every time I come into this thread your Chornomorets side just keeps getting better and better. This season has been truly fantastic - beating the reigning European champions to the Super Cup, a massive lead in the league table, comfortably topping a difficult group in Europe... all very impressive, good job. :thup:

Every time I come into this thread your Chornomorets side just keeps getting better and better. This season has been truly fantastic - beating the reigning European champions to the Super Cup, a massive lead in the league table, comfortably topping a difficult group in Europe... all very impressive, good job. :thup:

Cheers, man. Not getting ahead of myself though, plenty of time to throw that lead away yet. To think I was considering resigning the other day too!

fcchornomoretsodesa.png

Mid season report 2018/19

Lots of fun then in the first half of the season. After three seasons of trailing the big clubs, we're leading the way with 12 games left to play, and thanks to our success in Europe the bank balance is growing too. That is opening up other options in the transfer market should I need them, but I'm still trying to find bargains rather than blowing all our cash on two or three stars. More on that in a moment, though...

With 14 wins from our first 18 games, I can only be delighted with how things are going. I have noticed a lot of other Ukrainian clubs appear to be struggling financially, with Dnipro and Dynamo in particular rapidly shedding players and slashing their wage budgets, and if I can squeeze into the top 2, Metalist may have to do the same. I know I said at the start of the year I'd happily take 3rd again, but in my current situation I have to back us to win the title. I expect both Olimpic and Metalurh Donetsk to be caught and overtaken by Metalist and Shakhtar, so in theory I have a lead of 13 points, with 36 points left to play for.

My biggest disappointment so far has been our performance in the cup, which had me questioning whether I wanted to continue at Chornomorets (indeed, I briefly threw my hat into the ring for the Heerenveen job as I quite fancy a shot at the Eredivisie, as well as random application to Hamburg) but I came to my senses within a few hours. Thankfully the board didn't hold my lapse in judgement against me, nor did they get overly upset at our cup defeat... I guess two European trophies does wonders for patience! Speaking of Europe, we'll face Groningen of the Netherlands in the knock out round, which I was quite pleased with. If we get beyond them, we'll face either Lyon or Celtic in the last 16.

Financially we're very much in the black, with more than £8m in the bank and a transfer budget of more than £1.5m. The board have just agreed to upgrade our youth facilities for next year, which will cost about £1.5m, but it will hopefully allow me to bring through some more quality youngsters. Much like the last couple of seasons, I've identified a couple of players to bring in on free transfers for next season, although these aren't Ukrainian, which has been unlike my recent transfer history. One in particular should make a real difference to our squad when they arrive in the summer:

chivadze.png

Manuchar Chivadze has spent two and a half seasons in Ukraine, so although he may be Georgian, he should come in and settle straight away in my back 4. I've just allowed 34 year old Pablo Fontanella to leave the club on a free, and the best defender at the club at the moment will be 33 by the end of the season, so signing a 24 year old can only be a good thing. With wages of £6,000p/w he'll become our highest earner, but he should be a magnificent capture for us. I had to agree to a £15m release clause too, but I've no concerns at all over that.

osavaldoherrero.png

Osvaldo Herrero is more of a gamble, I'll admit. However, he's only coming as back up to Zozulya, and if he settles he has bags of potential, and on a free with cheap wages, this is about as risk free as a transfer gets.

Right then, on we go....

The Georgian centreback looks fantastic, I'm sure he'll be a key player. The winger I'm not sure I think he looks dodgy in certain important areas, but he's still a kid and on a free, well I'd hire him too...

Excellent future signings.

Cheers man, I was quite pleased when they both signed.

I'm sure you won't give that lead away.

Last season I only won 5 of the last 12 league games, so I'm certainly not counting my chickens!

The Georgian centreback looks fantastic, I'm sure he'll be a key player. The winger I'm not sure I think he looks dodgy in certain important areas, but he's still a kid and on a free, well I'd hire him too...

Yeah, really pleased with Chivadze, he should make a huge difference to the back line. And yes, Herrero is a bit of a punt, but it's very low risk.

europaleaguelogo.jpg

UEFA Europa League- Last 32

1st Leg: Groningen 2-2 Chornomorets

A disappointing display in the first leg, although we weren't helped by the three injuries we picked up during the game. Having said that, we're in a good position thanks to the two away goals from Bobko and Mykhalyov.

2nd Leg: Chornomorets 2-0 Groningen

A much better second leg performance, despite the fact we played 30 minutes with 10 men after Kararapetyan was sent off. Still, two goals from Zozulya see us safely through to the last 16.

ellast161819.png

March

UPL: Chornomorets 1-0 Illichivets

A Sergey Korneev goal on the stroke of half time was enough to pick up three more points.

UPL: Chornomorets 1-1 Dynamo Kyiv

A disappointing draw in the derby. We were too wasteful, and then Kararapetyan conceded a 90th minute penalty. Frustrating, but we still have a decent lead at the top.

UPL: Olexandriya 0-1 Chornomorets

Another tight game, but we got the points this time. Kararapetyan made up for conceding the penalty the week before by scoring the only goal of the game on the hour.

UPL: Chornomorets 3-0 Volyn

A great way to finish the month, with goals from Golovko, Zozulya and Bobko.

march19r.png

europaleaguelogo.jpg

UEFA Europa League- Last 16

1st Leg: Olympique Lyonnais 1-2 Chornomorets

A really good display, especially as we harshly fell behind just before half time. Two goals on the break though from Zozulya though ensure we're in command for the second leg.

2nd Leg: Chornomorets 2-4 Olympique Lyonnais

Abysmal. Absolutely abysmal performance defensively, every time Lyon attacked they looked like scoring. Our defence of the Europa League finishes with a whimper. Anderson Santana and Zozulya with the goals.

There was a little dressing room revolt after this game after 5 players were fined for their performances. Interesting to see how that goes...

April

UPL: Dnipro 1-4 Chornomorets

No time to lick our wounds following the Europa League defeat, the very next match is a huge derby, but what a performance! Goals from Zozulya, Golovko & and a Mykhalyov double secured the points.

UPL: Chornomorets 2-0 Odesa

We made hard work of this, but getting the win is all that matters. Goals from Golovko, who scored a screamer in the first half, and a late Grischenko header sealed it.

UPL: Metalurh Donetsk 0-0 Chornomorets

A thoroughly frustrating goalless draw. We simply couldn't make the break through despite dominating possession.

UPL: Chornomorets 3-1 Karpaty

A wonderful display, even if we did have to come from behind. Stepan Girskyi levelled against his old club before Sydorchuk put us in front just on the half time whistle. We were well on top in the second half, but we had to wait until 2 minutes from time to seal it, when Roman Zozulya drilled home from 20 yards.

UPL: Metalurh Zaporizhya 0-2 Chornomorets

Ivan Bobko and Olexiy Polyanskyi secured the points in my 300th game in football management.

UPL: Chornomorets 6-1 Metalist

This win made up for our crushing defeat in Europe. We were truly magical in the first half, and led 4-0 at half time. Goals from Zozulya, Pervushin, Mykhalyov and Sydorchuk had us cruising at the break, and although we took our foot off the pedal in the second half, two goals from Kararapetyan put the icing on the cake. One of the finest domestic wins of my career.

april19.png

champions1819.png

(Not sure the European Super Cup and league title counts as "the double", but I'll take it!)

Out of interest, if I load the Italian leagues for next season, do we think the tax situation should be sorted? With my manager being Italian, I quite fancy a shot at Serie A in later years...

Any theories on this? Debating whether it's worth me loading the Italian leagues for next year, but there's no point if the tax bug will still exist....

Any theories on this? Debating whether it's worth me loading the Italian leagues for next year, but there's no point if the tax bug will still exist....

If the tax bug was present when you started your game, it will still be there. SI stated the only fix was to start from scratch with a new save.

If the tax bug was present when you started your game, it will still be there. SI stated the only fix was to start from scratch with a new save.

Even if the relevant league wasn't loaded at the time? By loading it now I guess I'd hoped the fix might have worked....

Tax bug will be there.

After all that, I think it'll be OK. From what I've read, there was a tax fix with 13.1.3 patch on (or around) 21/11/12. My game was started on that patch on the 26th, so it should be OK. Worth a shot, anyway...

After all that, I think it'll be OK. From what I've read, there was a tax fix with 13.1.3 patch on (or around) 21/11/12. My game was started on that patch on the 26th, so it should be OK. Worth a shot, anyway...

One quick way of checking.

Go to World Clubs and see how many Italian clubs are in the top twenty. Less than 2-3, then the bug is there.

May

UPL: Kryvbas 0-0 Chornomorets

Not a great display in our penultimate game of the season, but things don't matter too much with the title already secured.

UPL: Chornomorets 2-0 Sevastopol

A routine finish to the season, goals from Golovko and Anderson Santana secure our 23rd win of the league season, and the party can begin!

Final table:

finaltable1819.png

fcchornomoretsodesa.png

Football Club Chornomorets Odesa: Season Summary 2018/19

League

Media prediction: 4th (of 16)

Finished: 1st (Champions)

Cups

Ukrainian Cup: 3rd Round

European Super Cup: Winners

Europa League: Last 16

Top scorers

Roman Zozulya: 40 appearances: 13 goals (8 in the league)

Illya Mykhalyov: 33 appearances (27 starts): 12 goals (8 in the league)

Ivan Bobko: 40 appearances: 11 goals (9 in the league)

Positives

A fantastic season sees us win the club's first ever league championship, and a huge gap at the top makes it even sweeter. Only conceding 14 goals over the course of the league season was unbelievable, and certainly the backbone of the title win. That back line should only get even stronger with the arrival of Manuchar Chivadze in the summer. We also finish the season with more than £6.8m in the bank, and with the Champions League money to come next year, things are looking pretty rosey on that front. The board have also agreed to upgrade our youth facilities over the summer, so all in all, it's a good time to be at Chornomorets.

Concerns

My biggest concern is a lack of goals in the club, which cost us in both the cup and the Europa League. Our top scorer finished with just 13 goals, and that's not really enough in 40 games. I've 4 quality strikers at the club, so I might need to look at the way I use them.

Ambitions

As you may have seen earlier in the thread, I'm beginning to think about a new challenge. I've loaded the Spanish, Italian and Portuguese leagues for the new season, so I might look to make a move away from Ukraine. Realistically I think I've probably won all I can at Chornomorets (at least short term, the Champions League would be at least another five year project and after 4 years already there I think I'll want a new challenge) so I think the time may be right to move on. I'm off to sleep on my decision, but I might just resign when I reload my game. In that case I'm looking either for a bigger club or a better league, although of course if I can achieve both in one move that would be even better.

Surprise of the season

Winning the title and finishing 17 points clear of Shakhtar.

Player of the season

Olexiy Polyanskyi (for the second successive year)

Average attendance

31,452 in the league (season high of 34,164, which is a total sell out (6 times in the league))

Former club watch

Lechia recovered well from last year and secured another Ekstraklasa championship.

Great work at Chernomorets, it's been constant elevation since you came to the club. What next?

Cheers, man. Well, I know I'd have a good chance of ensuring the club become Champions League regulars if I stay for another couple of years, but I'm getting itchy feet. A lot depends on what jobs are available, especially as the three countries I'd be looking at primarily won't be loaded until the end of June, which is one of the things that makes me think I should stay for another year.

If I do leave though I'd like a building job at my next club, rather than going to a side who are expected to the win the league straight away. I'm keen to ensure I go to a club with excellent youth facilities too as I've really enjoyed bringing so many through our academy in Ukraine.

Archived