Breaking the wage budget (FM12)

I am currently £29k below my wage budget, and have offered a contract to a free agent. The board will allow me £35k p/w (key player), thus taking me above my wage budget (I've already pushed the wage/transfer budget slider all the way to the wage side, my transfer budget is now £0).

We eventually agree on £29.5k p/w, which will just take me above my wage budget with no more room to manoeuvre. I'm assuming the board will let me break the wage budget, otherwise why would they have let me offer £35k p/w? Is there a danger of the transfer being cancelled due to breaking the wage budget or will the board be OK with it, as long as it's only short-term?

The wage budget is not a hard wall that cannot be crossed, like the transfer budget is.

The transfer will thus not be cancelled for breaking the wage budget. All restrictions which are applied are applied when making the contract offer. Whatever the board allows you to offer at that point will go through if agreements are found.

The budget can be broken only slightly. If you are close to your budget, the board will restrict your ability to offer high salaries, sometimes very strictly down to numbers which are below 1,000 p/w. If going in these tiny steps you'll be able to bust the budget, but only a bit. You may be able to bust the budget by a tad more when offering key player status to a player. In these situations the board is a tad more generous. However, also that only works for one player.

Looking at your example I assume that 6k p/w is not a lot relating to your overall wage budget, so the board may be fine with overspending by that amount.

Sorry to bump, but does anyone have experience of breaking their wage budget? I'm concerned this transfer might be cancelled over £500 p/w!

If it helps, I am currently managing in the Blue Square North and my wage budget is $2,994 per week and I am spending $4,207 per week. I will end up in the red for sure, but I think that's a given at this level anyway, and without breaking the budget I'd struggle to field 16 players each Saturday...

I can only offer $7 p/w to any prospective Key Players now though so my buying days are behind me for now. :p

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read and noticed you are on FM12, but I'm 99.9% sure its the same on both versions.

Archived