Gareth Bale in 2017...

Never noticed such a decline in a player before. Was always consistently class at the start of my game and then saw this summer that he was transfer listed and thought I might be able to pick up a bargain as he's still only 27.

Turns out he's rated 1.5 stars and would only be a good Championship player.

garethbaleoverviewprofi.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He properly got his legs broken several times. I remember in FM12 Chelsea bought Jovetic (sp) and had him on like 130k a week wages. He broke his leg twice within 3 years and had about 1 star potential left when he was transfer listed at year 3.

Both these screenshots surely have to be bugs?

I can understand players losing some physical stats from an injury but not mental stats.

And how is their value still so high? Something odd going on here for Hulk to have not played any games for 4 years and to deterioate like that, same with Bale.

Reminds me of the past two FM's when Balotelli would be at a Serie B mid table side at the age of 26. He went 8 years with a goal in one of my saves until I called him up for the National side out of pity for the World Cup and scored 4 goals.

Balotelli is generally awful in FM. His professionalism and mental attributes are terrible and it just makes him a total liability on the field. I played a Man City career in FM12 and gave him like 3 apps in my first season and then sold him at a cut-rate price to Udinese.

I can understand players losing some physical stats from an injury but not mental stats.

And how is their value still so high? Something odd going on here for Hulk to have not played any games for 4 years and to deterioate like that, same with Bale.

I don't get why the mental stats have deteriorated, anyone?

Is the player value linked to their rep and the club rep?

I don't get why the mental stats have deteriorated, anyone?

Is the player value linked to their rep and the club rep?

I'm still going with bug, even with a career threatening injury isn't going to affect flair.

Hulk is crazy, 4 years of no games.

Needs to go in the bugs forum.

If he hasn't played for 4 years, is it possible that he came into some conflict with the manager and has been perma-benched? It could explain the lack of appearances and deterioration in stats, although it does seem quite unrealistic that they wouldn't sell him if that were the case.

I'm still going with bug, even with a career threatening injury isn't going to affect flair.

Hulk is crazy, 4 years of no games.

Needs to go in the bugs forum.

Only thing I can think is that having not played for 4 years, confidence is damaged. Therefore he doesn't have the composure cause he isn't confident to collect himself and place it. Doesn't have the concentration cause he's too busy worrying about what to do, can't make a decision etc. Your right seems like a bug, just a posisble explanation for deteriation of mental attributes ....just think Fernando Torres

I may be wrong, but i don't think the game is that sophisticated.

I'm pretty sure players can take hits on their mental stats based on the severity of their injury and their mentality in-game. Don't think it's new for this year's game either.

I've definitely had players ruined by terrible injuries beyond just physical issues in past games.

I'm pretty sure players can take hits on their mental stats based on the severity of their injury and their mentality in-game. Don't think it's new for this year's game either.

I've definitely had players ruined by terrible injuries beyond just physical issues in past games.

Yes, they can lose mental attributes but i don't think that in the match engine they duck out of challenges, stop chasing down loose balls or generally play more nervously like players in real life.

I guess maybe a loss of bravery/work rate while injured could cause some of these things to happen to some degree but i don't think these things are actually coded into the game, they happen more by accident, albeit a desirable accident!

I love it when people try to explain away quirks in the game with some sophisticated real life scenario or imaginary "what if's" that aren't even simulated in the game.

Do you guys not play FM ? The AI isn't that detailed.

The Bale one is likely injury, the Hulk one the AI's horrendous squad management.

I love it when people try to explain away quirks in the game with some sophisticated real life scenario or imaginary "what if's" that aren't even simulated in the game.

The Bale one is likely injury, the Hulk one the AI's horrendous squad management.

Kind of counter-arguing with yourself there mate

Yes, they can lose mental attributes but i don't think that in the match engine they duck out of challenges, stop chasing down loose balls or generally play more nervously like players in real life.

I guess maybe a loss of bravery/work rate while injured could cause some of these things to happen to some degree but i don't think these things are actually coded into the game, they happen more by accident, albeit a desirable accident!

...but that's exactly what mental attributes cover, even if the animations might not be there to show a player literally duck out of the challenge. Instead they might just not go for it in the first place or fail to anticipate a situation, which is what I'm talking about.

The game has limits and often needs a bit of interpretation to enjoy to the full like any good book, game or film.

If my player gets a horrific injury and his mental stats suffer as a result, am I to assume my physio just forgot to carry the one? Of course not. In real life players aren't judged on attribute numbers but due to the limitations of a computer game that is the language we use to understand and play FM.

If the game is trying to simulate a player being mentally affected by a knock how else should we interpret the situation?

No wonder people struggle to make the best out of FM and enjoy the game...

If I saw him like that I'd loan him with a view to buying. With regular first team football players stats can raise quite quickly especially with his potential. He's still not at his peak age yet (another 4 years or so) so you'll be able to raise his stats back up with enough patience.

Might not get as good as he was in that time but you'd most likely get a decent Premiership player out of him.

Why not, don't you think a player can "give up" if constantly injured?

Agree on the value part though, guess his reputation keeps it up. But still...

To all those who say that injuries shouldn't affect mental stats: I'm just back in training from a cruciate ligament rupture and everything has changed. I still feel a little shaky on my legs, and the way I approach things on the pitch both consciously and unconsciously has changed a lot. To translate it into FM attributes, my determination surely has dropped, my aggression and braveness went down, even my flair has dropped since I know my knee won't like certain movements and I try to avoid them...

To all those who say that injuries shouldn't affect mental stats: I'm just back in training from a cruciate ligament rupture and everything has changed. I still feel a little shaky on my legs, and the way I approach things on the pitch both consciously and unconsciously has changed a lot. To translate it into FM attributes, my determination surely has dropped, my aggression and braveness went down, even my flair has dropped since I know my knee won't like certain movements and I try to avoid them...

^This

I for most of the past 2 years have been suffering from anterior knee pain due to damage to my patella ligament, after being hurt playing rugby. It's about healed now, but even so, I'm more hesitant to go into a tackle. I won't go all out in a game because I'm not sure if my knee will last the match.

I'd imagine it's definitely tied in with this bug. AI squad management still has a lot of room to improve, especially when it comes to big clubs' reserves. Gareth Bale falling out of favor at Spurs is actually perfectly reasonable, but there would be a massive market for his services and he would want to leave.

Archived