MLS - The Strangest League in the World

huw1990

As the title says, i'm really struggling with the MLS. i've searched the forums but can't find anything so was hoping that someone could help me.

i was looking through teams in my league and saw a player in the reserves that i wanted to sign. i went to make an offer, but rather than making a money offer, i've either got to exchange a player or a draft, which i don't really understand.

has anyone ever had a game in USA and if so can someone explain the basics. i've wikied the MLS as well but still don't really get it but really want to play in america so i don't want to give up on it

Its Easy, its like the NFL, when a player leaves college he gets drafted in the draft at the end of the year. And again as in the NFL. The lowest place team of the previous season gets 1st pick in the draft. Sooo basically, when you want too sign a player, you offer up your 1st 2nd, or 3rd round Draft Pick, too sign him. Normally if the player is worth the round pick, then you'll get offer accepted.

Not that hard :)

I have no clue about the MLS but did manage to find this.

cheers mate, i thought i saw an mls thread a while ago but i couldnt find it when i searched

Its Easy, its like the NFL, when a player leaves college he gets drafted in the draft at the end of the year. And again as in the NFL. The lowest place team of the previous season gets 1st pick in the draft. Sooo basically, when you want too sign a player, you offer up your 1st 2nd, or 3rd round Draft Pick, too sign him. Normally if the player is worth the round pick, then you'll get offer accepted.

Not that hard :)

yeh i looked at the wikipedia page of the mls superdraft and i sort of understood what happens but what i don't understand is how important is a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick etc. because i don't really want to offer a 1st round pick for a player who isnt that great and end up paying over the odds for him

you dont want too be giving up a 1st round pick for anything if you ask me. There important because the higher your pick... e.g 1st pick in 1st round. Then you will get the pick of the whole of the players on the draft list. meaning you will be able to pick the best player from the draft.... the good players go pretty quickly. so say you have a 5th pick in the 3rd round most of the good players will be gone.

huw1990

Yeah neither could I when I typed in 'MLS'. Typed in America (or American) instead, which worked for some reason.

i did type mls and america and some other things. i even searched for posts for posts by the user 'uncle sam' because i remember him saying something about the mls but still couldnt find anything

and Generation-Next, your post came a bit late lol, i bought kenny cooper for my 1st and 3rd pick in the draft, which i might regret, but this is my first try at mls, so i'm not gonna get it all right this game

I would reccomend keeping your picks as thats how you get the young talent. If you want another teams player then you will have to offer one of your players and if its anything like the NBA they will need to have matching salaries or at least close to that. However you should still be able to sign players on a free.

ok this is either a bug or another way the mls works a bit weird.

i've been doing rubbish for new england and am bottom of the eastern conference after 13 games, but i have just recieved one of my most glowing reports from the board that i have had on FM in any other game. they said "the minimum expectation is the team reach the final of the mls cup. the board is delighted that the team is currently on course to reach the playoff semi final of the mls cup" and "to achieve this amount of success your players must be performing at their peak and your tactics must be watertight. congratulations on some stellar work"

how does this work if i'm bottom of the league?

Archived