Starting at Salgueiros (FM2005)

Jart

I’m Ricardo Ribeiro, I’m 36 years old and I’m about to embark on my first job in professional football management. I have just been appointed to the vacant manager’s position at Portuguese Second Division B (North) club Salgueiros. The club’s full name is Sport Comercio e Salgueiros and they play at the 30,000 capacity Estadio do Mar in the city of Matosinhos.

-----

Jose Antonio Linhares – the club’s chairman – personally takes me on a tour of the stadium. After that we tour the training facilities. “It’s a great set-up you have here†I tell him. “Yes, we are really a club from the higher divisionsâ€, he replies. “Since I took over from the previous owner I have worked hard to get the finances under control and things are very settled now. I expect you to take us to the title this season so that we can move up into the Second Division and then prepare for an assault on the Superleagueâ€.

So the chairman expects the championship, now I’ve got to deliver it or there’s a good chance that he’ll have me sacked at the end of my first season.

-----

I have a thirty-man first team squad to work with. The average age of the players is quite low with twenty-three members of the squad aged 24 or under. However many of the youngsters have been promoted out of the club’s Under-19 team after they became too old for that competition at the end of the previous season and they are untried at the first-team level.

I have five friendlies that had already been arranged before my arrival in which to test out the players and try to settle on a tactic that will serve us well into the season ahead. German clubs Aachen, Stuttgarter Kickers and Mainz visit us first in late July and then follows Belgian side Tubize and Portuguese Second Division team Leixoes in early August. Our first league match is away at Infesta on 29th August. I have five weeks to sort things out before the season begins in earnest.

I’m Ricardo Ribeiro, I’m 36 years old and I’m about to embark on my first job in professional football management. I have just been appointed to the vacant manager’s position at Portuguese Second Division B (North) club Salgueiros. The club’s full name is Sport Comercio e Salgueiros and they play at the 30,000 capacity Estadio do Mar in the city of Matosinhos.

-----

Jose Antonio Linhares – the club’s chairman – personally takes me on a tour of the stadium. After that we tour the training facilities. “It’s a great set-up you have here†I tell him. “Yes, we are really a club from the higher divisionsâ€, he replies. “Since I took over from the previous owner I have worked hard to get the finances under control and things are very settled now. I expect you to take us to the title this season so that we can move up into the Second Division and then prepare for an assault on the Superleagueâ€.

So the chairman expects the championship, now I’ve got to deliver it or there’s a good chance that he’ll have me sacked at the end of my first season.

-----

I have a thirty-man first team squad to work with. The average age of the players is quite low with twenty-three members of the squad aged 24 or under. However many of the youngsters have been promoted out of the club’s Under-19 team after they became too old for that competition at the end of the previous season and they are untried at the first-team level.

I have five friendlies that had already been arranged before my arrival in which to test out the players and try to settle on a tactic that will serve us well into the season ahead. German clubs Aachen, Stuttgarter Kickers and Mainz visit us first in late July and then follows Belgian side Tubize and Portuguese Second Division team Leixoes in early August. Our first league match is away at Infesta on 29th August. I have five weeks to sort things out before the season begins in earnest.

JULY 2004

My early tactical experiments indicated that a 4-4-2 Diamond may be a useful starting point for a formation to adopt in a lower league such as Portugal’s Second Division B. With German side Aachen as my opponents in the first friendly I selected what looked to be my strongest team in the aforementioned formation and sent them out on to the Estadio do Mar to do battle. After 3 minutes we were 1-0 down to Hartmann’s near post flick from a corner. It soon became 2-0 when Zimmermann headed home after 24 minutes. Our keeper Albergaria spilt a shot after 52 minutes and Peter tapped home for 3-0. The three-goal loss to Aachen wasn’t a pleasing performance and all my midfielders and forwards had poor games except for the Brazilian striker Cleube.

-----

For my second friendly three days later against Stuttgarter Kickers of Germany I played a slightly less attacking game and I kept my full-backs back in defence. My strikers Cleube and Serginho got us off to a flyer when they interchanged passes until Cleube slotted home after just 1 minute. Weller equalised at 1-1 after 9 minutes with a soft goal, but Moller returned the favour when he headed an own goal from Braga’s cross to put us 2-1 in front after 31 minutes. Straight from the kick-off we won the ball and Vargas set up Cleube for his second to make it 3-1 in the 32nd minute. A foot injury saw Cleube substituted midway through the second half, but his replacement Tagro then set up the fourth goal. It was in the 74th minute and Tagro’s free-kick struck the post before Martins prodded home the rebound for a 4-1 final winning scoreline.

-----

The first two games had shown me that I was lacking any decent left-sided midfielders, so my scouts were dispatched to track down some possible signings. With the chairman giving me only a miserly £18K for a transfer budget my first thoughts were to save the funds for a more urgent occasion and just try to get a couple of free transfers instead.

-----

Our third friendly against German club Mainz saw me go with same tactics that had seen us win against the previous match. Mainz dominated the midfield, but the Salgueiros defenders all put in strong performances to deny them a goal. Our keeper Albergaria had a blinder as well, but with the midfield struggling and the attack toothless without the injured Cleube we ended up plodding to a 0-0 draw. On the positive side, at least we’d kept a clean sheet for the first time this season and I was gaining a much better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of my team.

Thanks very much, sherm. I notice you're a regular contributor around here, so I must read some of your stories.

-----

AUGUST 2004

On August 1st I am asked to nominate a maximum squad of thirty players to be available for the season ahead. Any player not nominated now can only be registered later if there is a space available in the squad. As a result I have decided to nominate only twenty-eight players now to allow for any future signings that I have planned. The official squad is as follows:

Goalkeepers:

1. Pedro Albergaria GK

13. Sergio Costa GK

23. Diogo Pires GK

Defenders:

2. Ricardo Andre D R

3. Toninho D/AM L

4. Flavio D C

12. Francisco Machado SW/D C

18. Alvaro Faria D L

19. Joao Machado D/DM L

20. Carlos Ferreira D/DM RC

25. Vitor Dias D RC

26. Daniel Ramos D C

Midfielders:

5. Marco Martins D/DM LC

6. Pedro Mourato M RC

7. Mario Daniel Vargas AM RC

8. Simoes DM C

11. Claudio AM RC

15. Braga AM RC

16. Miguel Camilo AM R

27. Rui Sampaio DM C

28. Rui Rodrigues AM LC

Forwards:

9. Serginho F RLC

10. Koueto Tagro S C

14. Cleube S C

17. Andre S C

21. Carlos Alexandre S C

22. Tiago Duarte S C

24. Carvalho F RLC

-----

After my scouts have come up with several likely transfer targets I make offers to four players all capable of playing on the left of midfield. I get two refusals as the terms offered are not acceptable, but two players agree to join Salgueiros for the upcoming season. These two players are given the final places in the official thirty-man squad.

29. Eduardo D/AM L

30. Renato AM RL

AUGUST 2004

Friendly number four saw Belgian side Tubize visiting us and it turned out to be a poor spectacle for the measly 169 people who bothered to show up. Once again our defence looked strong, but we lacked any cutting edge in attack. We managed six shots to only two by Tubize which underlined our defensive superiority. In an effort to bring my attacking midfielder Vargas more into the game I experimented with a 4-1-3-2 formation in the second half, but it didn’t seem to make a lot of difference. A 0-0 draw was the final result.

-----

There was disastrous news for my plans for the season when my new signing Eduardo damaged his spine in a training mishap. The initial diagnosis is that he will be out for seven months which virtually rules him out for the season. A large burden will now fall onto the shoulders of my other new left-sided signing Renato.

-----

My fifth and final friendly was against Second Division side Leixoes at our Estadio do Mar. I decided to continue the experiment of the 4-1-3-2 formation by taking the attacking emphasis away from the central midfielder and putting it onto the two wide players instead. We took a 7th minute lead thanks to a horrible own goal from Leixoes keeper Peraltinho who managed to fumble Tagro’s off-target shot into his own net. Their ball-playing left winger Ricardo Jorge was giving Ricardo Andre a work-over at right-back and he set up Rui Duarte for a headed equaliser after 15 minutes. Two minutes later Ricardo Jorge worked his way past Braga and Ricardo Andre and crossed expertly for Detinho to head Leixoes 2-1 in front. After that we tightened up and Albergaria had only one decent save to make around the 70th minute mark. In the 88th minute we nearly got ourselves an equaliser when Renato cut in from the left wing and curled in a shot which skimmed the top of the crossbar. The 2-1 defeat still gave me hope though for the league season ahead.

-----

In the pre-season Portuguese Super Cup it was Porto who defeated Benfica 3-0 in a dominant display thanks to goals from Carlo Alberto (9), Diego (35) and Luis Fabiano (85).

-----

Porto went on to win the European Super Cup a week later when they beat Spanish side Valencia 1-0 with a 86th minute winner from midfielder Bosingwa.

-----

The final weekend of August saw our league campaign kick off with an away trip to play against Infesta. Yet again we put in a strong display in defence with centre-half Carlos Ferreira and defensive midfielder Simoes in particularly dominant form. Vargas won man-of-the-match for a fine performance in the centre of midfield as my playmaker, but yet again we were unable to create much in the way of goalscoring chances. Cleube did head home from Tagro’s cross after 18 minutes, but he was clearly several yards offside and the goal was correctly ruled out. At least the players did the hard work like tracking back and closing down and hopefully the goals will start to flow soon, but in the meantime 0-0 draws like this one against Infesta will have to do.

AUGUST 2004 SUMMARY

Portuguese Second Division B (North) unless specified.

Infesta 0

Salgueiros 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Simoes; Braga, Vargas, Renato; Cleube, Tagro.

Cheers, Terk. I hope that I can maintain your interest then.

-----

SEPTEMBER 2004

Our first home league match against Fiaes saw us given a great opportunity when Sousa was sent off in the 1st minute for a double yellow card offence after he fouled Tagro and then protested too fiercely to the referee about the decision. Against ten men Vargas and Cleube went close before we took the lead after 29 minutes through Tagro’s header from Braga’s cross. After 55 minutes Tagro and Cleube played a great one-two for Tagro to make it 2-0 from close range. Cleube was injured in the move, so Duarte replaced him. Duarte then had two good chances before another fine Braga cross found the head of Tagro who made it 3-0 with his third goal after 68 minutes. In the 89th minute Suico miraculously cleared off the line to deny Duarte a headed goal. The midfield was outstanding today and Tagro was man-of-the-match thanks to his hat-trick.

-----

I’d managed to avoid the media spotlight so far, but I had no choice about the matter when the Freamunde boss Nicolau Vaqueiro stated before our match that he hoped that Salgueiros didn’t win promotion this season. I responded by stating that I was quietly positive about my club’s chances of promotion and that I did not share Vaqueiro’s view at all.

-----

I hoped that the media comments would lift the players against Freamunde and it seemed that way when we opened the scoring after 5 minutes. Vargas played in Tagro and although keeper Miguel Angelo blocked the shot, Duarte was on hand to fire home the rebound for 1-0. Twice Tagro should have increased our lead, but then we were pulled level after 40 minutes when Vitinha scored the rebound after Albergaria blocked his initial shot. In the second half Carlos Ferreira should have returned us to the lead after 52 minutes, but he shot over from close range. We paid for that miss after 63 minutes when Freamunde substitute Jose Alberto scored with a looping header. After that their keeper Miguel Angelo played a storming match as he denied Tagro twice, Duarte, Vargas and Braga from drawing us level. Freamunde held on to win 2-1 and I felt we were genuinely unlucky not to get at least a point on the day.

-----

It was important for us to rebound after the loss and I told the players I expected a home win against Ribeirao. After a strong first half in which we dominated and went close to scoring through Tagro, Renato and Braga, we finally made the breakthrough after 58 minutes. Excellent close control and passing by Cleube and Braga saw Tagro set up for a shot which he blasted high into the visitor’s net to put us 1-0 in front. In the 67th minute we earned a free-kick twenty yards out and slightly to the left of centre. Renato took it and curled it majestically around the Ribeirao wall to make it 2-0. That goal knocked the stuffing out of our opponents and we coasted home to secure the three points.

SEPTEMBER 2004

I wasn’t sure of what to expect when we played away against Braga B as they were the reserve team of the club whose senior team were currently bottom of the Superleague. As it was we dominated the first half and peppered their goal with shots. Tagro and Cleube must have had nearly half a dozen attempts each, but the Braga B keeper Magalhaes had only a couple of difficult saves to make. In the 49th minute a flowing move from the back was started by Ricardo Andre and carried on by Cleube and Renato before Tagro deflected Renato’s low cross in at the near post to put us 1-0 up. It took a sensational forty-yard strike from Quinio to pull Braga B level after 65 minutes as his shot swerved wildly past Albergaria in the Salgueiros net. Cleube and Ramos both had good chances to win us the game, but were denied by the acrobatics of Magalhaes late on. The 1-1 draw was definitely a case of two points dropped on our behalf.

-----

The Second Round of the Portuguese Cup paired us with non-leaguers Lourinhanense and gave me the chance to give a start to some of my bench players. Midfielder Claudio and striker Andre were the two I particularly wanted to see more of. Tagro hit the post after just 3 minutes and then Claudio justified his inclusion by heading home Renato’s corner after 7 minutes to put us 1-0 ahead. Tagro made it 2-0 by running onto Martins through-ball and driving home a low shot after 9 minutes before Andre nabbed himself a debut goal by heading home Renato’s deft cross after 20 minutes. It was soon 4-0 when Braga slammed home Claudio’s pass after 23 minutes and the small crowd were chanting with joy at our goalscoring feats. Sadly that was where it all ended as far as goals for Salgueiros were concerned. I gave Tagro and Renato a rest at half-time. Antonio highlighted a problem in the air for our central defenders when he scored after 47 minutes with a simple header to pull a goal back, but we easily saw off Lourinhanense after that momentary lapse to record a solid 4-1 victory.

-----

It was back to the strongest line-up for the final league match of September as Vilaverdense were our visitors. This was a match that we totally dominated and it saw Cleube finally break his drought in front of goal. The Brazilian striker tucked home the rebound from his own blocked header after 25 minutes and then watched on as Vargas crashed a shot against the post a minute later. Tagro missed a sitter as we went in 1-0 up at the interval, but clearly the better team. Midway into the second half it was the turn of Braga to strike the woodwork before we finally made things safe. Our substitute Mourato made a determined run down the right wing after 81 minutes and although his initial cross was blocked he retrieved the ball and sent over a low centre which Cleube prodded in at the near post for 2-0. Mourato then did even better by glancing in Vargas’s cross after 88 minutes for a debut goal as we notched a fine 3-0 win.

-----

A rib injury for Claudio in the game against Vilaverdense means that he will be out for at least three weeks and he joins long-term injury victim Eduardo on the sidelines. Other than those two, the squad has avoided injuries remarkably well.

SEPTEMBER 2004 SUMMARY

Salgueiros 3 Tagro 29, 55, 68

Fiaes 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Simoes; Braga (Claudio), Vargas, Renato (Rui Rodrigues); Cleube (Duarte), Tagro.

Freamunde 2 Vitinha 40, Jose Alberto 63

Salgueiros 1 Duarte 5

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho (Martins); Simoes; Braga, Vargas, Renato; Duarte (Serginho), Tagro.

Salgueiros 2 Tagro 58, Renato 67

Ribeirao 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Ramos, Martins; Simoes; Braga, Vargas (Claudio), Renato; Cleube (Duarte), Tagro.

Braga B 1 Quinio 65

Salgueiros 1 Tagro 49

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Ramos, Martins; Simoes; Braga, Vargas, Renato; Cleube, Tagro (Duarte).

Portuguese Cup Second Round

Salgueiros 4 Claudio 7, Tagro 9, Andre 20, Braga 23

Lourinhanense 1 Antonio 47

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Ramos, Martins; Simoes (Francisco Machado); Braga, Claudio, Renato (Joao Machado); Andre, Tagro (Duarte).

Salgueiros 3 Cleube 25, 81, Mourato 88

Vilaverdense 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Ramos, Martins; Simoes; Braga (Claudio) (Mourato), Vargas, Renato; Cleube, Tagro.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Portugal Division Two B (North) - 30th September 2004:

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Pos | Inf | Team | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|1st | | Infesta | 6 | 4 | 1 | 1 | 13 | 4 | +9 | 13 |

|2nd | | Trofense | 6 | 4 | 1 | 1 | 12 | 3 | +9 | 13 |

|3rd | | Vizela | 6 | 4 | 1 | 1 | 6 | 4 | +2 | 13 |

|4th | | Porto B | 6 | 3 | 3 | 0 | 11 | 5 | +6 | 12 |

|5th | | Freamunde | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 11 | 9 | +2 | 11 |

|6th | | Braga B | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 9 | 6 | +3 | 11 |

|7th | | SALGUEIROS | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 10 | 3 | +7 | 11 |

|8th | | Lousada | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 10 | 5 | +5 | 11 |

|9th | | D. Sandinenses | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 10 | 6 | +4 | 11 |

|10th | | Fafe | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 11 | 7 | +4 | 10 |

|11th | | Vilanovense | 6 | 1 | 4 | 1 | 8 | 6 | +2 | 7 |

|12th | | Pedras Rubras | 6 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 7 | 9 | -2 | 7 |

|13th | | Paredes | 6 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 7 | 10 | -3 | 7 |

|14th | | Ribeirão | 6 | 2 | 0 | 4 | 8 | 13 | -5 | 6 |

|15th | | U. Lamas | 6 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 7 | -4 | 5 |

|16th | | Valdevez | 6 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 10 | -6 | 5 |

|17th | | Vilaverdense | 6 | 0 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 7 | -4 | 4 |

|18th | | Lixa | 6 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 10 | -8 | 3 |

|19th | | Valenciano | 6 | 0 | 1 | 5 | 1 | 9 | -8 | 1 |

|20th | | Fiães | 6 | 0 | 1 | 5 | 3 | 16 | -13 | 1 |

</pre>

OCTOBER 2004

Our trip to Lousada produced a match that was most noted for its poor finishing by both sides. Despite some good work in defence and a decent share of the ball in the midfield, when it came to shooting we were woefully off target. Thankfully Lousada found themselves in the same predicament. In the first half only Tagro came close with a 38th minute header that went just over the crossbar whilst our keeper Albergaria had tip over a shot over from Paulo Gomes after 43 minutes. It came as no surprise therefore when it took a penalty to open the scoring and happily it was us who were the recipients. Renato played Tagro into the box after 60 minutes and the Lousada keeper Orlando raced out to smother the ball. Tagro nicked it past him however and the keeper merely caught Tagro’s legs which caused him to come crashing down. Cleube coolly dispatched the spot-kick to give us a 1-0 lead. Further wayward shooting by both sides ensured that there was no addition to the score, so I happily took the 1-0 victory.

-----

There was another non-league side to face in the Third Round of the Portuguese Cup as we hosted Torre Moncorvo and this wasn’t a match that pleased me at all. We dominated the non-leaguers and managed 18 shots to their 1 with 8 on target compared to nothing for them, yet we were taken to extra-time before we could finish them off. Their defence was obviously tiring as the 95th minute came around and Duarte intercepted a poor defensive pass before feeding it to Tagro. Our top-scorer quickly looked up before drilling a twenty-five yard effort high into the Torre Moncorvo net to give us a 1-0 win. Whilst our defence is proving strong I am worried by the lack of goals we are scoring based on the number of chances we are creating.

-----

Back in league action it was another frustrating day in front of goal for my Salgueiros team as we received Vizela. Again we created several decent chances, but we were let down by poor finishing. Three times Cleube raced clear only to strike his shots against the body of the Vizela keeper Magalhaes. Tagro did the same, but our worst miss was by centre-half Flavio who found the ball at his feet in the 38th minute after a scrambled corner, but hit his shot over the crossbar from six yards out. The pattern continued early in the second half. Tagro intercepted a defensive pass after 47 minutes and strode clear before Magalhaes denied him again at the expense of a corner. This time Renato delivered it well and Carlos Ferreira headed home, only for the referee to rule it out for pushing. When Braga shot wide from a splendid position after 63 minutes I was pulling my hair out in frustration. We paid for the missed chances in the 80th minute when Ribeiro took a quick free-kick for Vizela and found Rui Figueiredo who had got in behind Flavio. The striker calmly slotted the ball past Albergaria at his near post to put Vizela 1-0 up. Another glaring miss from Braga followed in the 85th minute before we were given a lifeline in the final minute. From Toninho’s long throw Luizao fouled Cleube by clattering into the back of our striker. Cleube had scored from the spot two weeks ago, so he took this one as well. Today however he fired his kick too close to the keeper and Magalhaes saved it well. We’d missed the chance of a last minute equaliser and we’d lost out first home game of the season as well.

OCTOBER 2004

My tactics relied on a strong defensive midfielder, but I was becoming concerned that Simoes was not up to the task whilst Martins was still too inexperienced. My scouts had been looking for someone to fill this role and I was delighted to be able to approach the former Porto, Leganes and Badajoz player Teixeira with the offer of a two-year contract. He became one of our best-paid players when he accepted our offer, but he bought a wealth of experience to the team. In order to fit Teixeira into my thirty-man squad it was necessary to cut Carvalho from the registered list of players.

24. Teixeira DM C

-----

Today’s game against Dragoes Sandinenses was totally opposite to the matches that we have competed in recently. With ourselves in 6th place and our hosts in 5th place I was expecting a close contest, but instead we were totally under the cosh from the beginning. This week the ball spent most of the time in our own half as we defended desperately against Dragoes Sandinenses, but thankfully for us our goalkeeper Albergaria was in top form. Amongst the numerous chances our opponents created the best were a flashing drive from Major that Albergaria tipped over for a corner after 23 minutes and a header from Paulo Vida that Toninho hacked off the line after 38 minutes. Into the second half we were still under great pressure, but we just managed to somehow hang on. Another great Albergaria save from Major kept the scores level after 68 minutes, but it appeared we would finally get a respite when Dragoes Sandinenses were reduced to ten men in the 75th minute after Valencia was sent off for his second yellow card offence. With our hosts now concentrating on defence I called for a final surge, but the players couldn’t muster anything and we surprisingly ended up with a 0-0 draw.

-----

In the form we were in a visit to league leaders Trofense was more of a concern than it would have been a few weeks ago, however in a turnaround of our form we turned in one of our best performances of the season so far. After a solid start we took a 13th minute lead thanks to the work of our new signing Teixeira. Firstly he won the ball deep in defence and laid it back to Carlos Ferreira. Secondly he then took a return pass and fired a superb forty-yard through-ball into the path of Cleube who volleyed a first-time shot into the Trofense net for a 1-0 lead. Our lead was doubled to 2-0 in the 30th minute when Vargas supplied an inch-perfect pass for Tagro to stroke the ball between the legs of keeper Marco. In the second half Trofense came at us strongly, but Albergaria saved superbly on two occasions. At the same time the defensive work of Ricardo Andre, Toninho and Carlos Ferreira was excellent and we were able to notch a fine 2-0 away win as a result.

OCTOBER 2004 SUMMARY

Lousada 0

Salgueiros 1 Cleube 60 (pen)

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Ramos, Martins; Simoes; Braga (Mourato), Vargas, Renato; Cleube (Andre), Tagro.

Portuguese Cup Third Round

Salgueiros 1 Tagro 95

Torre Moncorvo 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Simoes; Mourato (Braga), Vargas, Renato (Rui Rodrigues); Cleube (Duarte), Tagro.

Salgueiros 0

Vizela 1 Rui Figueiredo 80

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Martins; Braga, Vargas, Renato; Cleube, Tagro (Andre).

Dragoes Sandinenses 0

Salgueiros 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Teixeira; Braga, Vargas, Renato; Cleube (Duarte), Tagro.

Trofense 0

Salgueiros 2 Cleube 13, Tagro 30

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Teixeira; Braga (Claudio) (Martins), Vargas, Renato; Cleube, Tagro.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Portugal Division Two B (North) - 31st October 2004:

|1st | | Vizela | 10 | 7 | 2 | 1 | 15 | 10 | +5 | 23 |

|2nd | | Infesta | 10 | 7 | 1 | 2 | 20 | 6 | +14 | 22 |

|3rd | | Trofense | 10 | 7 | 1 | 2 | 20 | 7 | +13 | 22 |

|4th | | Freamunde | 10 | 5 | 3 | 2 | 20 | 15 | +5 | 18 |

|5th | | Braga B | 10 | 5 | 3 | 2 | 13 | 9 | +4 | 18 |

|6th | | SALGUEIROS | 10 | 5 | 3 | 2 | 13 | 4 | +9 | 18 |

|7th | | D. Sandinenses | 10 | 5 | 3 | 2 | 15 | 9 | +6 | 18 |

|8th | | Fafe | 10 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 17 | 10 | +7 | 17 |

|9th | | Paredes | 10 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 19 | 13 | +6 | 14 |

|10th | | Porto B | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 14 | 13 | +1 | 13 |

|11th | | U. Lamas | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 10 | 10 | 0 | 13 |

|12th | | Lousada | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 11 | 10 | +1 | 12 |

|13th | | Valenciano | 10 | 3 | 1 | 6 | 10 | 15 | -5 | 10 |

|14th | | Ribeirão | 10 | 3 | 1 | 6 | 10 | 17 | -7 | 10 |

|15th | | Lixa | 10 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 9 | 15 | -6 | 10 |

|16th | | Valdevez | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 9 | 17 | -8 | 9 |

|17th | | Pedras Rubras | 10 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 9 | 17 | -8 | 8 |

|18th | | Vilanovense | 10 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 9 | 23 | -14 | 7 |

|19th | | Fiães | 10 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 7 | 20 | -13 | 6 |

|20th | | Vilaverdense | 10 | 0 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 14 | -10 | 5 |

</pre>

Thanks Nathan, defence isn't our problem, it's scoring goals that is the issue!

-----

NOVEMBER 2004

With a win away to the league leaders in our previous match I had high hopes of carrying on the good form at home against Fafe. Instead what we got was another infuriating scoreless draw in which we dominated the opposition, but failed to take our chances. As early as the 2nd minute Tagro’s header was forcing a sprawling save out of the Fafe keeper Peres. Braga shot over from a great position after 28 minutes and Cleube got himself one-on-one with the keeper, but rolled it wide of the net after 42 minutes. The same poor finishing continued into the second half as Mourato was denied by the body of Peres after 57 minutes and Cleube hammered a volley straight into the arms of the keeper after 78 minutes. It finished 0-0 and there were whistles from the Salgueiros fans at the end of the match. Worse still, we lost Vargas for a couple of weeks with a thigh strain midway through the second half.

-----

The jeers from the home fans started early when we hosted Uniao de Lamas and produced yet another insipid performance in front of goal. Mind you, things weren’t helped by the 18th minute injury to top scorer Tagro who was carried off on a stretcher with a nasty foot injury. I played Teixeira further forward as Vargas’s replacement, but the ex-Porto man clearly does his best work from a deeper position. This week’s main culprits in front of goal were Teixeira (twice), Cleube and Andre who all missed decent chances. In the end it was another 0-0 bore draw and then it was off to the training pitch for yet more shooting practice.

-----

After a relatively easy time with injuries I’ve now lost two vital players in consecutive matches. The injury to Vargas is worse than we first thought and he will miss at least three weeks. However the really bad news is that Tagro’s foot injury is a bone fracture and he will out for a month at the minimum.

-----

With the injuries and poor form in front of goal it wasn’t a good time to be playing Superleague side Nacional da Madeira in the Fourth Round of the Portuguese Cup. It took about fifteen minutes for the team from the top flight to gain control of the match and then we were constantly under pressure. Midfielder Bruno opened the scoring after 25 minutes with a powerful drive from twenty-five yards that beat Albergaria all ends up. After 29 minutes Bruno notched his second as he lashed home a loose ball from close range. Cleube found the side-netting with a shot in the 36th minute before disaster struck Carlos Ferreira when he headed Bruno’s cross into his own net to make it 3-0 in first half injury-time. In the second half we managed to keep Nacional da Madeira scoreless, but we never troubled Hilario in their goal either. Our visitors marched on into the final thirty-two of the Portuguese Cup whilst our campaign ended with the 3-0 defeat.

NOVEMBER 2004

A midweek game at home against Paredes gave us the chance to shake of the disappointment of our Portuguese Cup loss on the weekend. Our start to the match was slow however and Paredes took control with their playmaker Nelson in particularly fine form. After soaking up the pressure for half an hour, during which Albergaria made two decent saves, we finally started to make some headway in attack. Andre shot over from a good position after 33 minutes and Cleube headed into the side-netting after 38 minutes. However Paredes came back at us with a good move down their left wing which culminated in Nelson rifling in a rising twenty-five yard shot that beat Albergaria at his near post and put our visitors 1-0 in front. Paredes sat back to defend their lead in the second half and despite having more of the possession our continuously woeful finishing let us down. Braga and Andre were particularly to blame for this when they produced wild shots from good positions instead of taking a moment longer to ensure that their shot was at least on target and was going to force the keeper into making a save. There were boos and whistles from the Salgueiros fans at the end of this 1-0 home defeat.

-----

November concluded with a match away at second-to-bottom Valdevez. It was more of the same from Salgueiros as we comfortably controlled the home team’s forward line whilst failing to make the best of our own chances. Vargas was back from injury to take the playmaker’s role and he was one of the main culprits in front of goal. Three times the Argentinean fired the ball high over the crossbar when given decent chances in front of goal. I was pulling my hair out in frustration as we butchered several excellent chances over the course of the match. In the end it was yet another 0-0 draw as the boos and whistles continued.

-----

After the away match at Valdevez the Salgueiros chairman Jose Antonio Linhares asked me to travel back with him in his chauffeur-driven car instead of with the team on the coach as usual. We had only been in the car for a few moments when he got straight to the point. “Ricardo, I’m not happy with the way things are going at the moment. We’re 10th in the league and we didn’t manage to score a goal at all during November. That’s not the type of form that suggests to me that we have a chance of gaining promotionâ€. I nodded my head in agreement. “I understand what you are saying, Mr Chairman. Defensively we are very solid and we have the tightest defence in the division with only five goals conceded in fourteen matches. I think that is something that we can build a strong base uponâ€. The chairman waved his hand at me dismissively. “Stopping goals doesn’t win matches, scoring them does. Thirteen goals scored in fourteen matches played is not good enough. The fans want to see more goals scored and so do I. If you can’t get the team to do that, then I’ll find someone who canâ€. The chairman had made his point very clearly. I had to improve the team’s offence or I was going to be out of a job.

NOVEMBER 2004 SUMMARY

Salgueiros 0

Fafe 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Teixeira; Braga (Mourato), Vargas (Martins), Renato; Cleube, Tagro.

Salgueiros 0

Uniao de Lamas 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Martins; Mourato, Teixeira, Renato; Cleube, Tagro (Andre).

Portuguese Cup Fourth Round

Salgueiros 0

Nacional da Madeira 3 Bruno 25, 29, Carlos Ferreira own goal 45

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio (Ramos), Toninho; Teixeira; Mourato, Claudio (Rui Rodrigues), Renato; Cleube (Serginho), Andre.

Salgueiros 0

Paredes 1 Nelson 42

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Toninho; Teixeira; Braga (Serginho), Mourato (Claudio), Renato; Cleube, Andre.

Valdevez 0

Salgueiros 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Ramos (Francisco Machado), Flavio, Toninho; Teixeira; Braga, Vargas, Renato; Cleube, Andre.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Portugal Division Two B (North) - 30th November 2004:

|1st | | Vizela | 14 | 11 | 2 | 1 | 25 | 11 | +14 | 35 |

|2nd | | Trofense | 14 | 11 | 1 | 2 | 30 | 8 | +22 | 34 |

|3rd | | Infesta | 15 | 10 | 2 | 3 | 27 | 13 | +14 | 32 |

|4th | | D. Sandinenses | 15 | 8 | 4 | 3 | 24 | 10 | +14 | 28 |

|5th | | Braga B | 14 | 7 | 4 | 3 | 21 | 15 | +6 | 25 |

|6th | | Paredes | 14 | 7 | 3 | 4 | 24 | 15 | +9 | 24 |

|7th | | Porto B | 15 | 6 | 4 | 5 | 21 | 19 | +2 | 22 |

|8th | | Freamunde | 14 | 5 | 6 | 3 | 22 | 18 | +4 | 21 |

|9th | | Fafe | 14 | 6 | 3 | 5 | 23 | 15 | +8 | 21 |

|10th | | SALGUEIROS | 14 | 5 | 6 | 3 | 13 | 5 | +8 | 21 |

|11th | | Lixa | 14 | 4 | 6 | 4 | 19 | 19 | 0 | 18 |

|12th | | U. Lamas | 15 | 3 | 7 | 5 | 13 | 15 | -2 | 16 |

|13th | | Lousada | 14 | 3 | 5 | 6 | 14 | 18 | -4 | 14 |

|14th | | Vilanovense | 14 | 3 | 5 | 6 | 15 | 26 | -11 | 14 |

|15th | | Fiães | 15 | 3 | 4 | 8 | 12 | 29 | -17 | 13 |

|16th | | Valenciano | 14 | 4 | 1 | 9 | 13 | 21 | -8 | 13 |

|17th | | Ribeirão | 14 | 3 | 2 | 9 | 12 | 27 | -15 | 11 |

|18th | | Pedras Rubras | 14 | 3 | 2 | 9 | 11 | 22 | -11 | 11 |

|19th | | Valdevez | 15 | 2 | 5 | 8 | 11 | 23 | -12 | 11 |

|20th | | Vilaverdense | 14 | 0 | 6 | 8 | 5 | 26 | -21 | 6 |

</pre>

DECEMBER 2004

I was going to have to improve the team’s scoring record if I was going to hold onto my job, so a revision of the team’s tactics was in order. However the thing was that defensively we were very secure, so I didn’t want to disturb that record. To maintain our defensive stability I decided to keep the back-four and the defensive midfielder stationed in front of them. I also kept my two strikers, but what I did change were the roles of the three midfielders. Instead of placing the emphasis on the wings I asked the two wide midfielders to move slightly inside and placed the attacking onus more onto the central midfield position. That meant that Braga and Renato would cease to be obvious wingers and that Vargas would now be expected to push further forward. I still had a 4-1-3-2 tactic on paper, but the roles had now been revised. Hopefully we’d see a few more goals as a result.

-----

Due to an injury to our right-back Ricardo Andre there would be a first team debut for the youngster Vitor Dias on our visit to Valenciano. With the new tactics in place we started brightly and dominated the early possession. Vargas got forward more often, but wayward shooting by the Argentinean meant that it was unlikely that he was going to find his first goal of the season. Andre went the closest in the opening period with a powerful shot in the 29th minute that was well turned over by the home keeper Ivan. In the 55th minute the Valenciano centre-half Fredy went through the back of Cleube to receive his second yellow card and he was sent off as a result. I decided to replace Vargas with Claudio at the same time in a bid to go for the winner against ten men. Instead what I got was more deplorable finishing as we failed to find the net yet again. Cleube in particular was to blame, especially in the 78th minute when Renato’s free-kick found him unmarked on the six-yard line, but he headed wide with the goalmouth gaping. Claudio also blasted the ball high into the crowd from twelve yards out with only three minutes to go. Another 0-0 draw was the final result.

-----

Cleube paid for his poor finishing by being demoted to the bench as our top scorer Tagro returned from injury for the match away to Porto B. Despite being the B side of the current Portuguese champions our opponents were currently only in eighth place and we matched them evenly in the first half. They looked their best when their Hungarian playmaker Buzsaky was in possession and Teixeira was struggling to contain him. A shoulder injury to Teixeira after 35 minutes saw him replaced by Martins and I worried that Buzsaky would take total control of the game. In the 51st minute a hopeful cross from the right wing was met by Rodrigo’s head and we were 1-0 down. Braga’s vicious shot after 66 minutes was brilliantly saved by Vale as we searched for an equaliser. In the 78th minute Buzsaky engineered a short corner move which result in his cross finding Ricardo Costa unmarked at the far post and his header made it 2-0. Straight from the restart Martins pumped a long ball forward and Cleube – on as a substitute – raced clear to smash the ball past Vale and pull it back to 2-1. We pushed forward for the final ten minutes and came close to equalising when Martins sent a low shot skimming goalwards, only for Vale to dive superbly to his left to tip it around the post for a corner. Come the final whistle Porto B had perhaps luckily ended up as 2-1 winners.

DECEMBER 2004

This week it was Vargas who paid for his poor finishing and lack of goals this season as I needed a midfielder who could score in the attacking role that I had devised. Claudio therefore got himself a start for the match against Vilanovense at the Estadio do Mar. Wayward shooting from Salgueiros was the order of the first half as per usual. Once again we dominated the possession, but we just couldn’t get our shots on target. Early into the second half Claudio’s chance ended prematurely as he hobbled off with an ankle injury and Vargas regained his place. The chances continued to be set up courtesy of Renato’s clever wing play, but Cleube, Tagro and company continued to waste them. I was dreading that another scoreless draw was on the cards as we moved into the final ten minutes. Finally in the 85th minute Braga swung over a cross from the right wing and Vargas controlled it delicately before placing a shot past keeper Miguel Angelo from twelve yards to put us 1-0 up. Then to cap things off Vargas played a deft pass through to Tagro in the 89th minute and the Ivorian prodded the ball under Miguel Angelo to present us with a 2-0 final scoreline.

-----

Porto continued their wonderful form in cup finals as they took their third trophy of the season with a 3-1 victory over Colombia’s Once Caldas in the Inter-Continental Cup in Japan. Goals from Hugo Leal (7) and (16) and Luis Fabiano (31) were more than enough to outweigh a strike from Moreno (20). Porto could even afford to miss a penalty as Areias shot wide from the spot after 61 minutes after Once Caldas’s Patinas had been sent off for the foul that produced the spot-kick.

-----

The final match before the three-week Christmas/New Year break was a home game against Pedras Rubras who were currently in 18th place on the table. Teixeira and Vargas were back in the starting line-up and we got off to a great start when Teixeira and Braga carved the visitors open after just 4 minutes which then allowed Vargas to score a close range goal for the second consecutive match. When Marcial clumsily fouled Vargas after 8 minutes we had a penalty and Cleube comfortably tucked away his spot-kick to put us 2-0 up. Keeper Bruno saved well from Renato’s 14th minute free-kick as we threatened to go goal-crazy. Pedras Rubras started to defend en masse in an effort to limit the damage and the chances dried up, but we were never troubled in defence ourselves. After a quieter second half the game petered out somewhat, but the 2-0 margin was still good enough for me at the end.

DECEMBER 2004 SUMMARY

Valenciano 0

Salgueiros 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Dias, Ramos, Flavio, Toninho; Teixeira; Braga, Vargas (Claudio), Renato; Cleube, Andre.

Porto B 2 Rodrigo 51, Ricardo Costa 78

Salgueiros 1 Cleube 79

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Ramos, Flavio, Toninho; Teixeira (Martins); Braga, Vargas, Renato (Rui Rodrigues); Tagro, Andre (Cleube).

Salgueiros 2 Vargas 85, Tagro 89

Vilanovense 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Ramos, Flavio, Martins; Simoes; Braga, Claudio (Vargas), Renato; Cleube (Duarte), Tagro.

Salgueiros 2 Vargas 4, Cleube 8 (pen)

Pedras Rubras 0

(4-1-3-2) Albergaria; Ricardo Andre, Carlos Ferreira, Flavio, Martins; Teixeira; Braga (Mourato), Vargas, Renato (Rui Rodrigues); Cleube, Duarte.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Portugal Division Two B (North) - 31st December 2004:

|1st | | Vizela | 18 | 14 | 2 | 2 | 31 | 14 | +17 | 44 |

|2nd | | Trofense | 18 | 12 | 3 | 3 | 38 | 14 | +24 | 39 |

|3rd | | Infesta | 18 | 12 | 3 | 3 | 32 | 14 | +18 | 39 |

|4th | | D. Sandinenses | 18 | 10 | 4 | 4 | 29 | 14 | +15 | 34 |

|5th | | Braga B | 18 | 9 | 5 | 4 | 27 | 19 | +8 | 32 |

|6th | | Fafe | 18 | 9 | 4 | 5 | 33 | 20 | +13 | 31 |

|7th | | Paredes | 18 | 9 | 4 | 5 | 32 | 21 | +11 | 31 |

|8th | | Freamunde | 18 | 8 | 6 | 4 | 33 | 24 | +9 | 30 |

|9th | | Porto B | 18 | 8 | 4 | 6 | 26 | 24 | +2 | 28 |

|10th | | SALGUEIROS | 18 | 7 | 7 | 4 | 18 | 7 | +11 | 28 |

|11th | | Lixa | 18 | 6 | 7 | 5 | 27 | 26 | +1 | 25 |

|12th | | U. Lamas | 18 | 5 | 8 | 5 | 20 | 19 | +1 | 23 |

|13th | | Lousada | 18 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 21 | 25 | -4 | 18 |

|14th | | Fiães | 18 | 4 | 5 | 9 | 15 | 33 | -18 | 17 |

|15th | | Vilanovense | 18 | 3 | 6 | 9 | 16 | 32 | -16 | 15 |

|16th | | Ribeirão | 18 | 4 | 2 | 12 | 16 | 36 | -20 | 14 |

|17th | | Valenciano | 18 | 4 | 2 | 12 | 14 | 28 | -14 | 14 |

|18th | | Pedras Rubras | 18 | 3 | 3 | 12 | 17 | 33 | -16 | 12 |

|19th | | Valdevez | 18 | 2 | 6 | 10 | 14 | 29 | -15 | 12 |

|20th | | Vilaverdense | 18 | 0 | 7 | 11 | 11 | 38 | -27 | 7 |

</pre>

Unfortunately this story is now ended. I was sacked in mid-January 2005 at the end of the short mid-season break, despite winning the last two games of December. I played on unemployed for a year, but I wasn't able to pick up a job in either Portugal or Spain by January 2006, so I've called it quits.

Thanks to all those who read or took the time to post a comment. I may be back later with a new story.

Archived