My Greatest Challenge: Knocking Fergie Right Off His ****ing Perch. And You Can Print That

AK22

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1419.png

FK Vidar - Pre-Season 2014

After a strong showing last season, we're a bit more fancied this time around. The media have predicted us to finish 8th, with title odds of 20-1, so we're definitely not amongst the favourites, but still a good outside bet to have a successful season. The board tend to agree with the bookies, and have said they'll be happy with a midtable finish; unfortunately, there's still no money to be had at this level, so the wage budget has been slashed slightly to £2.52k per week, £300 less than last year, which makes my job that little bit more difficult.

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-9-1.jpg

Again, it's a mixed bag in the friendlies, but at least they've all gone the way I had expected; it was never likely that we were to come away with anything less than a defeat against top tier sides, Lillestrom and Viking, but at least we met expectations against the teams at a similar level to us. I know they're only friendlies, but if we can take our impressive defensive record forward into the opening competitive matches, we should make a solid start to our league campaign.

Vidar_TransfersHistory-1.jpg

The transfers made are nothing to majorly shout about, but at least we should have a better squad depth compared to last year, where we had very few options to change things from the bench. In theory, with Shawali and Dreshaj, we should now have a couple of wide-men who can come on and make an impact, when required, although, in practice, I'm not sure how well an Albanian and an Iranian will adapt to icy life of Norway.

Serdar Shawali

Dardan Dreshaj

Mathias Lia Carlsen

Solid first season,hopefully you don't need to do much to improve your squad.Can't wait to see Fergie's face late in your career :D
Good first season. Fergie won't be laughing much soon enough. :D

Hopefully season 2 is one where you can challenge for promotion. :thup:

Cheers guys, I've got some cracking photos lined up for later on, especially for when I start winning stuff!

We don't really need to improve much, as it's quite a crappy league to play in. If we can get to 'adequate', we'll be good enough to go up :D

1419.png

FK Vidar - April 2014

A flying start to the season, this time around, as we win two of our opening three fixtures. Elvind Austbø has been the star of the show so far, bagging four goals, and continuing his form from last year. It's definitely an encouraging start, but we've yet to play any of the main promotion contenders, so we mustn't get too carried away.

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-9-2.jpg

So there we stand, top of the table; only 23 games to go! As I've eluded to already, it's still very much early days, but it's interesting to see promotion favourites, Algård, Fyllingsdalen and Vard already near the top of the table. I'll just be hoping to cling on to their tails again, and try to ensure we're still in contention come September.

OddsenligaenAvdeling3_OverviewStages-1.jpg

Next Time...

* We play our first cup tie of the season, this time away to non-league side, Oystese.

* There's five league fixtures, including a tricky away game at Jerv.

Good luck with this - quite a goal yoU've set yourself! I think I've made it into the Worldwide top 20 a few times on FM before but never reached the very top.

I assume you have a nice photo of Sir Alex with a grumpy face ready for when you have done what you set out to do. :D

Good luck with this - quite a goal yoU've set yourself! I think I've made it into the Worldwide top 20 a few times on FM before but never reached the very top.

I assume you have a nice photo of Sir Alex with a grumpy face ready for when you have done what you set out to do. :D

Cheers, yeah I'm definitely in for the long haul. Got some beauties lined up for later on too :D

Unlucky not going up last year decent start this year though so might have been for the best gives you extra time to build your squad
Solid start to the season :thup:.
Should be a good year.

Thanks chaps! Really happy with the start too, although I am concerned that any sort of minor injury problem could curtail any progress; first team squads of just 19 are rubbish!

1419.png

FK Vidar - May 2014

Mixed fortunes this month as we've slipped up more often than I would have liked; two league home defeats is certainly not good enough in my eyes, and definitely not the form one would expect from a side aiming for promotion. We also made hard work of our cup tie against non-league Oystese, needing an extra-time winner to set up a lucrative match against Rosenborg in the next round. Of course, we were soundly beaten here, but that was pretty much to be expected.

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-9-3.jpg

By dropping six points, we've lost our advantage at the top of the table, and have now slipped down behind Algård into second place. However, we're only a point behind, a deficit that can be easily overturned if we knit together a nice run of results; let's hope we can keep Austbø in the goals, he is on fire at the moment!

OddsenligaenAvdeling3_OverviewStages-2-1.jpg

Next Time...

* Big league games against Algård and Fyllingsdalen could really define how our season pans out.

1419.png

FK Vidar - June 2014

As deltablue has eluded to, the game against Algård was a HUGE fixture for us, and boy, did we leave it late! Thankfully, my strikers kept going right until the end, overturning the deficit and finding a winner two minutes from time; that's a massive six-pointer if there ever was one! Kanu and Austbø have continued their good form by scoring a goal each in the remaining two fixtures of the month, making it a very positive few weeks. Long may it continue!

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-9-4.jpg

So, we're top, once again, and have a two point cushion over the chasing pack. It's really starting to bunch up below us now, so we'll need to keep an eye out for any team looking to breakaway. Loving the fact we're topscorers too :cool:

OddsenligaenAvdeling3_OverviewStages-3-1.jpg

Next Time...

* Only two league fixtures before the mini summer break. I'll be looking to go into the second half of the season still as the league leaders.

1419.png

FK Vidar - July 2014

It's another unbeaten month, stretching it out to five games without defeat. That said, we really shouldn't be drawing games at home against the likes of Ardal. In fact, I'm starting to realise that we're dropping far too many points on our own turf, and for a side contending for promotion, we need to start pulling our socks up. Will this come back to bite us later on? I hope not, but we definitely need to start improving in front of our own supporters because, eventually, our away form is bound to falter.

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-9-5.jpg

We go into the mid-season break sitting nicely at the top of the table, with a reasonable two point cushion. I'm delighted with our current vein of form, and will need to ensure we don't find ourselves being complacent when the fixtures resume come August; another haul of 27 points from the remaining 13 games will do nicely!

OddsenligaenAvdeling3_OverviewStages-4-1.jpg

This month, I've received my first job offer, courtesy of BSP side Dagenham and Redbridge. Having been one of the favourites for promotion, they find themselves languishing in midtable, and have come-a-knocking on my door. It's a really good offer that has a lot of things going for it (especially the improved wage budget), but having decided to start my career outside of the UK, I feel it is far too soon to return to Blighty.

AndyKing_NewsInbox-3-1.jpg

Next Time...

* The season resumes with a busy August, commencing in a tricky game away to Fløy. A defeat there will really close the pack up again!

Love the writing style. An excellent start to life in Norway, punching above your weight and finding a bit of consistency too. I always find the second season is slightly easier than the first as you can use the pre-season to get rid of the dross and bring your own guys in.

All the best for the second half of the season.

Your 1st season was very similar to my 1st season in Norway. Played well and then bottled it at the end. Great start to the next season though, hope you can keep it up.

So do I, although August hasn't quite gone to plan! I hope we're not going to bottle it again!

That's more like it. :)
Better 2nd season now that those draws are turning to wins :thup:
Good stuff in the first half, hope you go up.

Thanks! I think it's going to be touch and go whether we do it, though. :rolleyes:

Love the writing style. An excellent start to life in Norway, punching above your weight and finding a bit of consistency too. I always find the second season is slightly easier than the first as you can use the pre-season to get rid of the dross and bring your own guys in.

All the best for the second half of the season.

Cheers! The second season does seem a bit easier, although I can't really say it's down to my transfers... I've only signed six players so far :D

1419.png

FK Vidar - August 2014

Bugger, definitely not the month I was after! Two wins out of five is not the form of champions, but at least there's still time to turn things around. The main problem is that Austbø has stopped scoring, and even though we're probably not a one-man team, his goals have been crucial in the campaign so far. Also, ironically, our solid away form has deserted us, just when it was pivotal for it to continue. Is this a wobble? Probably, but at least we've got eight games left to steady it.

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-2-2-4.jpg

Well, well, well, where on earth have Jerv come from?! They really have been the league's form team this month, winning all five of their fixtures, and establishing themselves as surprise leaders. I severely doubt they'll be able to maintain their barnstorming run until the end of the season, but it has really set the cat amongst the pigeons as we start to enter final couple of months.

OddsenligaenAvdeling3_OverviewStages-5-1.jpg

Next Time...

* Big, big league fixtures against Jerv (at home) and Algård (away). Two defeats here, and we'll be kissing our promotion chances away for another season.

1419.png

FK Vidar - September 2014

We started the month well, righting the ship, and putting us back into the hunt for promotion. The win over Jerv was a massive result, knocking them off their stride, and proving that their previously impressive month was probably down to more luck than judgement. However, all of our good work was undone by a terrible defeat against Nest-Sotra, a game where I expected to take at least a point from. This has really crushed the morale of the team, especially the defenders, so I'll need to dig out my Mr Motivator hat and ensure we don't go into a downwards spiral on the back of this.

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-2-2-5.jpg

Finally, Fyllingsdalen (one of the pre-season favourites) have established themselves as the contender we all thought they could be. Of course, we're still handily placed, just behind them on goal difference, and have an excellent chance of pipping them to the post; with just four games to go, it's probably now only a two horse race, a race that will see us play each other on the final furlong too.

OddsenligaenAvdeling3_OverviewStages-6-1.jpg

Another cracking job offer came my way at the end of the month. However, once again, it's in the UK, and I don't want to go home yet! Asides from that, I'd be mad not to see out the season in Norway, especially with us having such a good chance of promotion.

AndyKing_NewsInbox-4-1.jpg

Next Time...

* The run-in, including a make-or-break game with Fyllingsdalen!

Fyllingsdalen Fixtures - Nest-Sotra (A), Vidar (H), Mandalskameratene (A), Algård (H)

Vidar Fixtures - Mandalskameratene (H), Fyllingsdalen (A), Staal (H), Vard (A)

1419.png

FK Vidar - October 2014

For the love of god... October 2014 follows a similar pattern to October 2013; in short, a total disaster. Even after beating Mandalskameratene, the nerves failed to settle, as we looked extremely anxious in the crucial match against Fyllingsdalen. It's no surprise that we lost this game, as we were terrible; the 2-1 defeat flatters us somewhat. Following that, it got worse, with a home defeat to Staal, and with this result, our dreams of promotion were crushed once again.

VidarFK_FixturesSchedule-2-2-3.jpg

Since seizing the advantage, Fyllingsdalen held their nerve through their final couple of fixtures and comfortably clinched promotion. We've totalled two points more than last season, which is encouraging, but ultimately, still frustrating considering we were top for the majority of the year.

OddsenligaenAvdeling3_OverviewStages-7-1.jpg

End of Season Summary

Once again, we've done better than expected, but that is still very little consolation considering promotion was there for the taking. Going forward, we need to improve our consistency, and cut out the occasional 1-4/2-5 defeat that can creep in every now and again; 90% of the time, our defence is solid enough, but it is these rogue results that are really costing us dearly at the moment.

Oddsenligaen Avdeling 3 - 2nd Place

Norgesmesterskap Frisk Forsikring Cup - 2nd Round (lost to Rosenborg)

Finances | Transfer Summary

Eivind Austbø - 16 goals from the league's topscorer.

Lennox Kanu - Austbø's partner in crime.

Aleksander Idland - Our most creative player!

Topscorer - 16 Eivind Austbø

Most Assists - 6 Aleksander Idland

Highest Average Rating - 7.15 Eivind Austbø (27 appearances)

Fans Player of the Year - Eivind Austbø

AndyKing_NewsInbox-7-1.jpg

Oh, you're content are you? Satisfied? Finishing second not really enough? That's why you've offered me a contract with a £50 per week wage cut then!

AndyKing_NewsInbox-6-2.jpg

I've told them to jack it. There's no way I'm taking a pay cut, especially when considering the offers I was turning down from Wrexham and Dagenham & Redbridge. Fair enough, we failed to get promoted, but I would still expect my pay to remain the same!

Sir-Alex-Ferguson5451-1.jpg

Fergie finds it funny, though! I'm off on the job hunt...

Season     Team              League                     Finish    Cups                             
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013       FK Vidar          Oddsenligaen Avdeling 3    4th       Cupen 1st Round
2014       FK Vidar          Oddsenligaen Avdeling 3    2nd       Cupen 2nd Round

2224.png

Taranto FC 1927

After being insulted by my former-Norwegian employers, I cheekily applied for the job with Serie C2 club, Taranto, just to test the water. I didn't really expect to be successful, as I hadn't had thought my reputation was high enough to be an attractive proposition to a full-time club with high aspirations. What did I know?!

As with many Italian teams, this club has had quite a tempestuous history, having been declared bankrupt on several occasions, and have now been re-branded under a new company name (previously Taranto Sport). They've now returned to Serie C2 after being expelled to Serie D in 2012, and are hungry for success; the board want to win the league, and get back to the third tier of Italian football.

477px-Italy_provincial_location_mapsvg-1.jpg

So, Italy will be the second stop on my travels, and even though I consider myself quite well versed in Italian football, I haven't been down to the fourth tier for some quite considerable time. It should be a good challenge! In particularly, I'm looking forward to having some rivalries, something that was lacking in Norway, as we'll do battle with several local teams over the course of the season; Salernitana and Pro Cavese are the main ones we'll face this year.

Stadio_Erasmo_Iacovone_playoff2.jpg

Club Overview | General Club Information | Facilities | Club Background | Finance | Lega Pro Seconda Divisione Girone A (as it stands)

On initial assessments, this is certainly a step up from Vidar. Firstly, we're a full-time professional club, with facilities to match, and secondly, I don't think the board will tolerate a season of mediocrity; they sacked their previous manager when they were only six points off top spot!

I've been given a two year deal on £1.2k per week (take notice Vidar!!), with a weekly wage budget of £33.5k. Unfortunately, the club is currently spending too much (£6k over), so one of my initial tasks will be to bring this back under control; thankfully, I'll have the January transfer window to rejuvenate the squad, and clear out some of the deadwood, so I'm hopeful that this shouldn't prove too much of a problem. The board have also stipulated that they expect an attacking brand of football to be played at Erasmo Iacovone, a brand not too typical to Italian football. Oh, and if that wasn't already enough, they still want me to win them the league...

Definitely the right call to move on. Looks like the board were a bit over-demanding at Vidar, especially with the 'a little below-par' line about player performances... and then to cut your pay...

Good look in Italy. No need to worry about pay cuts, late payments or corruption there :p

Good luck, the stadium looks very decent. It's a good step up.
Wow, very nice stadium for a C2 club! :thup:
Very different location.

Yeah, the stadium is very decent for a fourth tier club. It has a capacity of 13572, not that we're in any danger of filling it, mind.

Definitely the right call to move on. Looks like the board were a bit over-demanding at Vidar, especially with the 'a little below-par' line about player performances... and then to cut your pay...

Good look in Italy. No need to worry about pay cuts, late payments or corruption there :p

Definitely not! ;) At least we're not one of the Mafia run clubs, so I shouldn't magically disappear one day!

Good luck Taranto :thup: You will knock Fergie off his perch.
Good luck in Italy.
GL mate. Love the logo. A dude with a trident riding a dolphin. Badass

Cheers! Should be a great opportunity to move up the ladder a bit, and get a bit closer to winning some trophies. And yes, the logo is pretty special too :D

2224.png

Taranto FC 1927 - December 2014

It's a very competent start we've made, although we've certainly had more than our fair share of luck along the way. I've set the team up in my old faithful 4-5-1 formation, something that's tried and tested, and really easy to implement from the off, but it probably still needs a tweak or two as we're struggling to control possession. The squad is very old, though, with four players approaching 40, and on quite astronomical wages; I'm hoping they all announce their retirements soon, just to save me a job of trying to offload them, as they certainly have no future at the club.

TarantoFC1927_FixturesSchedule-2-1-1.jpg

The club's season is definitely back on track now, as we moving in the right direction towards the top of the table. The media's prediction is for the club to win the league, as is the board's expectations, so we're going to have to keep this pace up if we're going to keep up with Pavia and Lecco; the top two go up, with 3rd-6th contesting the playoffs.

LegaProSecondaDivisioneGironeA_OverviewStages-2-1.jpg

Next Time...

* The January transfer window opens, so expect a bit of movement at the club. Amongst others, we definitely could do with a new 'keeper, and maybe a defender or two too.

* The league resumes after the winter break, including big games against Mantova, Forli and Lecco.

That was 2 frustrating seasons in Norway to come so close and drop the ball in the final matches both years! Nice step up now to a team with proper ambitions, even if it's a 4th tier I believe Taranto is a much bigger club and you're in a nice place to get that promotion. Although the board seems very harsh there, I'm assuming the previous manager was sacked which would've been harsh for being so close to the top?

Archived