FM 2013: Players Role and Duty Thread - Contains the best advices!

Fabio MVP

Just like we were offering you advices, help and ideas when it comes to players' roles and/or duties for Football Manager 2011 and for Football Manager 2012 we will be doing the same for Football Manager 2013.

Whether you need advice, help and/or an idea for the best roles and/or duties for your players, whether you would like to share with us which are the best roles and/or duties for players that you have had experience with or you just want to help in general then you can post in this thread.

We will all do our best to help you. :thup:

Please use the format below, so we could help you in the best possible way. :thup: Thank you in advance. :thup:

Format:

Name:

Position(s):

Role (if you are suggesting a role):

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty):

Other additional instructions:

Club:

Club's formation:

What do you want from your player:

SS is needed if the players are newgens, if the real players don't have the same attributes as they have on the start of the game and if the players have at least one random attribute, so they don't have it the same in every game.

Good luck! :)

Name: RVP

Position(s): Striker

Club: Man United

Club's formation: 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond

What do you want from your player: He just cant score goals... Set him as complete forward.

I would play him as a Deep Lying Forward (Attack) in that case. :thup:

Name: Andreas Cornelius

Position(s): SC

Club: FC København

Club's formation:4-4-2( he will be playing alongside a Deep Lying Striker )

What do you want from your player: Make use of his strength/heading and speed/finishing

keu9fb.png

Name: Andreas Cornelius

Club: FC København

Club's formation:4-4-2( he will be playing alongside a Deep Lying Striker )

What do you want from your player: Make use of his strength/heading and speed/finishing

keu9fb.png

In that case I would use him as a Target Man (Attack) or as a Poacher.

Name: Rickie Lambert

Role (if you are suggesting a role): Had him as a target man as a lone striker.

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty): Support or Attack

Club: Southampton

Club's formation: 4-1-2-2-1, or 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1

What do you want from your player: More goals better rating.

Struggled with him and can't get anything from him really despite having decent stats I think he has about 3 goals in about 15 starts, he even missed a penalty, something he hasn't done for Saints IRL. Got him on near post flick ons for corners, taking attacking free-kicks. he's now lost his place to Jay Rodriguez.

Name: Rickie Lambert

Role (if you are suggesting a role): Had him as a target man as a lone striker.

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty): Support or Attack

Club: Southampton

Club's formation: 4-1-2-2-1, or 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1

What do you want from your player: More goals better rating.

Struggled with him and can't get anything from him really despite having decent stats I think he has about 3 goals in about 15 starts, he even missed a penalty, something he hasn't done for Saints IRL. Got him on near post flick ons for corners, taking attacking free-kicks. he's now lost his place to Jay Rodriguez.

You are asking for help and yet you're suggesting roles and duties? :D Could you please post an SS of him as I have no idea how his attributes look like?

You are asking for help and yet you're suggesting roles and duties? :D Could you please post an SS of him as I have no idea how his attributes look like?

Not suggesting just saying how I used him. and it wasn't working.

Have a look in this thread and there is a screenshot of him about half way down - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/319162-FM13-Southampton-F.C.-Reasons-to-be-cheerful-Part-3!

Not suggesting just saying how I used him. and it wasn't working.

Have a look in this thread and there is a screenshot of him about half way down - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/319162-FM13-Southampton-F.C.-Reasons-to-be-cheerful-Part-3!

You use those options only if you are suggesting. I would use him as a Deep Lying Forward (Attack) based on those attributes.

Just having a bit of trouble Vukusic getting firing for my Pescara side as the lone striker in a 4-4-1-1. So much so I've resorted to playing a young striker who seems to be enjoying his run in the side.

Please read the opening post. :)

Name:Ante Vukusic

Position(s):ST

Club:Pescara

Club's formation:4-4-1-1

What do you want from your player: Just to actually score a goal.

I have no idea how he looks, so if you could post an SS of him I might be able to help you.

fz9oc0.png

It's an unwritten rule that you need to play your lone striker as a Deep Lying Forward (Support) if he doesn't have enough support, but Ante looks like a Poacher to me, so I would go with that, but with enough support.

Cheers Fabio, I wouldn't class myself as being great at tactics but would I be right in thinking that an advanced forward would be a mixture of both roles?

Advanced Forward is a creative Poacher. He will look to score goals supplied by others just as Poacher does, but he will also look to create chances for himself and for others. Given some of the attributes I would use him as a Poacher after all. Target Man (Attack) with Run Onto Ball setting might as well do the trick.

would that be with borini up front with him or as a lone striker?

Him and Borini are similar types of players, so I would try to avoid playing them two together in attack, but if I would have to then I would go with Borini in supportive duty as he looks a bit more creative and versatile. Borini as a Deep Lying Forward (Support) and Lewandowski as a Poacher.

Him and Borini are similar types of players, so I would try to avoid playing them two together in attack, but if I would have to then I would go with Borini in supportive duty as he looks a bit more creative and versatile. Borini as a Deep Lying Forward (Support) and Lewandowski as a Poacher.

Cheers :)

fz9oc0.png

I would suggest playing him as an Advanced Forward but since he will not stay central always, you will need the AM to get into the box as well and provide a goal threat.

ST - Advanced Forward - Attack

AMC - Attacking Midfielder - Attack

That set up could work :)

I would suggest playing him as an Advanced Forward but since he will not stay central always, you will need the AM to get into the box as well and provide a goal threat.

ST - Advanced Forward - Attack

AMC - Attacking Midfielder - Attack

That set up could work :)

Cheers ShirazS I'll be sure to give that a go :)

Leandro Damiao

Name: Leandro Damiao

Position(s): Striker

Club: Man United

Club's formation: 4-1-3-2

What do you want from your player: Score goals. he been getting pretty avg rating. I have set him as complete forward.

I would use him as a Poacher or as an Advanced Forward.

• 2 weeks later...
Name: Joe Allen

Position(s):MC

Club: Liverpool

Club's formation:4-3-3 (4-5-1)

What do you want from your player: for him to be the 'passer' in the traditional 3 man partnership of 'Destroyer' - 'Passer' - 'Creator'

Deep-Lying Playmaker - Support OR Central Midfielder - Support

You could also play him as the DM with a Defensive Midfielder - Support role and play the Destroyer ahead of him at MC.

What do you want from your player: for him to be the 'passer' in the traditional 3 man partnership of 'Destroyer' - 'Passer' - 'Creator'

I would play him as a Central Midfielder (Automatic) or (Support).

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys,

Name: ISCO

Position(s): CAM

Role (if you are suggesting a role): AVP

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty): Support

Other additional instructions: play through balls often

Club: Everton - 3rd season

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1

What do you want from your player: create more assists and be more involved in the game - want him to be my main player with most of the play going through him

Name: Angelo henriquez

Position(s): striker

Role (if you are suggesting a role): complete forward

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty): support

Club: ManU

Club's formation: 442 diamond(2 wingers dm n amc)

What do you want from your player: I actually want best advice on which role should i develop him so that he can replace rooney after 5 years

Name: Gael Kakuta

Position(s): AML or AMR

Club: Rangers

Club's formation: 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) DM, 2 CMs, then AML,ST,AMR

What do you want from your player: I always have had problems with him due to his PPM "Shoots from distance", but I needed a creative inside forward. I just never get him playing right, he does everything until the last moment where he chooses to shoot and end up nearer the corner flags than the goal, or outside the stadium.

d6Hkb.png

Name: Luca Mazzitelli

Position(s):DM (natural) CM (unconvincing)

Club: Swansea

What do you want from your player: I need to train him to CM first as I don't use DMs much. After this, I'm not sure what to do with him. Good physicals, except he's not very strong. First touch and passing are decent to good. Good team work, coupled with excellent determination and work rate. I think first thing will be to up his positioning and marking. Ball winning midfielder, sound about right?

Normally I wouldn't have bothered but he was going on a free and has decent potential.

Name: Gael Kakuta

Position(s): AML or AMR

Club: Rangers

Club's formation: 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) DM, 2 CMs, then AML,ST,AMR

What do you want from your player: I always have had problems with him due to his PPM "Shoots from distance", but I needed a creative inside forward. I just never get him playing right, he does everything until the last moment where he chooses to shoot and end up nearer the corner flags than the goal, or outside the stadium.

Don't worry, got him playing fine.

Name: Im ashamed to have to put this in here.... but Lionel Messi

Position(s): AMC L

Club: Man Utd 2016

Club's formation: 4-1-1-3-1 Narrow (2 CB, 2 WB, DMC, CM, 3 AMC, ST)

What do you want from your player: To be the key attacking threat. AMCR plays well, AMC plays deeper, AMCL is messi, not getting involved at all. all behind a ST (Target manAttack) and infront of a CM (DLP Support and a DMC anchorman defend)

• 2 weeks later...
Name: Berbatov

Position(s): ST

Club: Fulham

Club's formation: 4-1-1-2-2 (DM,CM,AMR/L,ST ST)

What do you want from your player: Score goals, but mainly provide assists for Petric and the 2 IFs

Trequartista

hey guys,

Name: ISCO

Position(s): CAM

Role (if you are suggesting a role): AVP

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty): Support

Other additional instructions: play through balls often

Club: Everton - 3rd season

What do you want from your player: create more assists and be more involved in the game - want him to be my main player with most of the play going through him

I would use in the same role and duty and I would have his Through Balls instruction on Often, so he does what you want him to do, so you might want to consider changing other players' instructions.

Name: Angelo henriquez

Position(s): striker

Role (if you are suggesting a role): complete forward

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty): support

Club: ManU

Club's formation: 442 diamond(2 wingers dm n amc)

What do you want from your player: I actually want best advice on which role should i develop him so that he can replace rooney after 5 years

Wayne Rooney is an excellent all-round player and I doubt Angelo Henriquez can the player be in such mould. I would highly recommend you to use and to train him as a Poacher or Advanced Forward.

d6Hkb.png

Name: Luca Mazzitelli

Position(s):DM (natural) CM (unconvincing)

Club: Swansea

What do you want from your player: I need to train him to CM first as I don't use DMs much. After this, I'm not sure what to do with him. Good physicals, except he's not very strong. First touch and passing are decent to good. Good team work, coupled with excellent determination and work rate. I think first thing will be to up his positioning and marking. Ball winning midfielder, sound about right?

Normally I wouldn't have bothered but he was going on a free and has decent potential.

I would use him as a Deep Lying Playmaker (Defend) or (Support).

Name: Im ashamed to have to put this in here.... but Lionel Messi

Position(s): AMC L

Club: Man Utd 2016

Club's formation: 4-1-1-3-1 Narrow (2 CB, 2 WB, DMC, CM, 3 AMC, ST)

What do you want from your player: To be the key attacking threat. AMCR plays well, AMC plays deeper, AMCL is messi, not getting involved at all. all behind a ST (Target manAttack) and infront of a CM (DLP Support and a DMC anchorman defend)

I would use him as a middle AMC as an Inside Forward (Attack). Even from left AMC I would use him the same.

Name: Berbatov

Club: Fulham

Club's formation: 4-1-1-2-2 (DM,CM,AMR/L,ST ST)

What do you want from your player: Score goals, but mainly provide assists for Petric and the 2 IFs

He is a Deep Lying Forward (Support) in my book.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at Brendan Rodgers Swansea midfield trio, i was just interested in what people thought there roles were & what kind of formation they played in!

Name: Leon Britton

Position(s): DMC

Clubs: Swansea

Club's formation: 4-3-3 (4-5-1) or 4-2-3-1 (Spain version)

Position(s): MC or DMC

Name: Gylfi Sigurdsson

Position(s): MC

Role (if you are suggesting a role):poacher

Duty (if you are suggesting a duty):attack

Club:Blackburn 2nd season prem league

Club's formation:4-1-3-2

What do you want from your player:goals

Rhodes plays up front with rochina who plays as an trequartista the problem I have is they don't score enough, I'm not 2 worried about rochina as its his job to link attack with mid

• 2 months later...

Right, I've asked people in several threads this question but no-one seems to have got the best out of him so far, so I'm open to all suggestions:

Name: Christian Benteke

Club: Aston Villa

Club's formation: 4-1-2-2-1

What do you want from your player: I play a lone striker flanked by a W-Supp and IF-Att. I'm doing pretty well in the league but cannot get Benteke to score. I want to make the most of his physical strength and aerial prowess. I know that his attributes obviously scream Target Man but I've had very little success after trying him as a TMs, TMa and DLFs.

What I really want to know is has anyone got a decent goal return from Benteke or will he always be limited by his poor finishing attribute.

Archived