FM13 Arsenal Thread - Victoria Concordia Crescit

llama3

cheers , yeah metalist are a tough team!

I'm struggling to strengthen my defence , I feel Sagna and Jenkinson will be adequate for the season , but with Vermaelen out injured I'm light in the centre plus I have both Gibbs and Nacho injured at left back but will be coming back from injury soon although Gibbs is a little injury prone.

Im thinking a left back and cover in the centre is my priority.

As i like to have English players i'm going in for baines ans shaw in January as well as Caulker, now he is at cardiff it is easyu to get him and in my last save he was excellent, have a look at streete from newcastle he is very good as is tompkins from West Ham.

Budget 19m

Subotic looks a good bet but not sure if he would like a rotation/backup role but he can be had for around 10m?

leftback I was thinking maybe shaw or Fabio?

As i like english players i am going in for shaw and baines in jan also caulker as now he is at Cardiff he is intrested and in my last save he was excellent. Have a look at streete from newcastle or tompkins at west ham very good players.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what do you think of Davide Astori ?

he can be had for 10-12m although would most likely be only used for cover , maybe tompkins would be better for this?

Season update September/October 12-13

League

Newcastle 1: Ameobi

Arsenal 1: Ramsey

Arsenal 2: Walcott Arteta(pen)

Everton 1: Jelavic

Champions League

FC Kobenhavn 0:

Arsenal 2: Chamberlain(2)

League

Man Utd 2: Ferdinand, Rafael

Arsenal 0:

League Cup third round

Everton 1: Jelavic

Arsenal 2: Walcott, Ramsey

League

Arsenal 2: Ramsey, Giroud

West Brom 0:

Champions League

Arsenal 1: Wilshere

Milan 1: Matri

League

Stoke 2 Mertesacker O/G, Assaidi

Arsenal 0

Arsenal 1: Koscielny

West Ham 1: Tompkins

Champions League

Arsenal 3: Walcott, Monreal, Rosicky

Bate 0:

League

Norwich 1: Hooper

Arsenal 1: Walcott

Currently 8th in the league

League Cup fourth round

Arsenal 1: Arteta(PEN)

Spurs 3: Dombele, Soldado(2)

Injuries

Wilshere 2 Weeks

Diaby 2 Months

Made it to January with Giroud, Bendtner & Sanogo; Bendtner has been surprisingly good but like Giroud inconsistent will try and look for a striker this month, tried to unsettle Suarez which hasn't work might go in for Muriel or Benteke or just keep trying for Suarez. Don't really want to waste money on any striker so if I can't get a good one I'm happy with I'll go with what I got until the summer

Made it to January with Giroud, Bendtner & Sanogo; Bendtner has been surprisingly good but like Giroud inconsistent will try and look for a striker this month, tried to unsettle Suarez which hasn't work might go in for Muriel or Benteke or just keep trying for Suarez. Don't really want to waste money on any striker so if I can't get a good one I'm happy with I'll go with what I got until the summer

Giroud's been pretty strong for me so far and has formed a decent partnership with ozil already. In fact, I'm planning to ship Best-striker-in-the-world Bendtner and park chu young out as soon as I can since they are more than surplus. Podolski is decent enough backup and sanogo should develop into something useful at least. I'm also looking at maybe bringing in Mata to play up front since Chelsea are doing terribly and he's transfer listed :D He sorta looks like a slightly weaker version of he who shall not be named.

Giroud's been pretty strong for me so far and has formed a decent partnership with ozil already. In fact, I'm planning to ship Best-striker-in-the-world Bendtner and park chu young out as soon as I can since they are more than surplus. Podolski is decent enough backup and sanogo should develop into something useful at least. I'm also looking at maybe bringing in Mata to play up front since Chelsea are doing terribly and he's transfer listed :D He sorta looks like a slightly weaker version of he who shall not be named.

Girouds been ok but inconsistent just feel I need a top quality striker & probably another centre back aswell, going to be hard to get any top ones in January

Your welcome GM.

I let my asst man do oppo instructions and I have found that I am using 'Clear ball to the flanks' and 'Hit early crosses'.

With Gibbs/Monreal and Jenkinson/Sagna flying down the wing it seems to make sense to get the ball to them quickly, as it starts a quick counter attack.

The early crosses are great for Giroud as he is brill in the air.

If you want a defensive version then all I do is pull the 2 in central midfield to the DM positions in front of the back four.

hi I tried letting Bould do the opposition match intructions but my team falls to bits using them so I have stopped using them altogether.

Do you start with them shouts or just use them when needed?

By the way your tactic is working well so far apart from when I tried the opposition instructions.

cheers

*Jenkins was a target for defence cover but his demands are a little high for my liking when I don't plan on using him much , I may just spend big and get in Howedes from Schalke , my scouts rate him.

Girouds been ok but inconsistent just feel I need a top quality striker & probably another centre back aswell, going to be hard to get any top ones in January

You considered bringing Eduardo in on loan to tide you over? Shaktar are usually willing to let him go out in my games, and his stats are pretty solid still. Plus he makes a good tutor for the younglings :D

hi I tried letting Bould do the opposition match intructions but my team falls to bits using them so I have stopped using them altogether.

I'd never rely on an assman for opposition instructions. They tend to want instructions on every opposition player, which can lead to your tactic falling to pieces more often than not. Besides, steve bould's tactical knowledge is pretty low iirc?

You considered bringing Eduardo in on loan to tide you over? Shaktar are usually willing to let him go out in my games, and his stats are pretty solid still. Plus he makes a good tutor for the younglings :D

I'd never rely on an assman for opposition instructions. They tend to want instructions on every opposition player, which can lead to your tactic falling to pieces more often than not. Besides, steve bould's tactical knowledge is pretty low iirc?

Not a bad shout Eduardo, might look for someone a bit younger though

2012/13 season

Transfers In

Doria £6m

Howedes £14m

don't feel the team needs much added with the arrival of Flamini and Ozil on Niks edited data so just got defensive additions.

Doria arrives in January but is still young so wont be a regular at the start , Howedes will come into the team most likely replacing Mert , although I do rate Mert on fm13, but just fancy a change here.

Vermaelen will stay for now, and I will try to ship him out in January.

Mata just signed a contract for me approaching the January transfer window after Chelsea accepted a 34M bid for him. Seeing as I only got 34m freed up for the January window, this could be fatal if he doesn't work out the way I'm hoping :D Still...better than letting united get him

Quality signing to be fair, have no doubt it will work out

By the way your tactic is working well so far apart from when I tried the opposition instructions.

cheers

*Jenkins was a target for defence cover but his demands are a little high for my liking when I don't plan on using him much , I may just spend big and get in Howedes from Schalke , my scouts rate him.

I got rid of Bould at the start and got Maurio Tassotti as asst man.

I usually use the 'Exploit the flanks' when the oppositions full backs are not too good, otherwise I have been using the other two in most matches mainly because I have quite a few players in the box.

I'm glad the tactic is working.

Season update November/December 12/13

League

Arsenal 0:

Hull 1: Rosenior

Champions League

Bate 0:

Arsenal 2: Eisfeld, Mertersacker

League

Chelsea 0:

Arsenal 1: Mertersacker

Arsenal 0:

Spurs 1: Defoe

Champions League

Arsenal 1: Rosicky

FC Kobenharn 1: Santin

League

Arsenal 1: Cazorla

Liverpool: 1 Gerrard

Arsenal 3: Johnson (o/g), Ramsey2

Sunderland 1: Fletcher(PEN)

Man City 4: Navas, Richards, Aguero, Dzeko

Arsenal 0:

Champions League

Milan 0:

Arsenal 0:

**Won the group and will play Galatasaray in 1st round K/O

League

Arsenal 0:

Villa 0:

Palace 0:

Arsenal 4: Chamberlain, Arteta (Pen x2), Walcott

Arsenal 2: Walcott, Ozil. Monreal & Sanga s/o

Swansea 3: Alvara, Hernandez, Szczensny (o/g)

Cardiff 0:

Arsenal: Cazorla, Arteta (Pen)

Fulham 0:

Arsenal 3: Walcott 2, Eisfeld

Newcastle 1: Ben Afra

League as it stands

uh9o.jpg

So after reports in the media that my neck is on the line we have some much needed reinforcements arriving.

7nuy.jpg

So now this is how we will line up when available.

la1p.jpg

As it stands...

4l18.png

Not entirely sure how I feel about Chelsea's downfall. I guess it kinda mirrors their real life progress last season to an extent, especially seeing as they're storming through the champions league. Though, they've more or less had half their first team put in transfer requests due to how bad a start they had? On a side note....STOKE :D

o9on.png

Only a couple of ins during the january window. The big one being Mata making the switch from west to north after Chelsea's horrible showing in the league. Unfortunately he started the first few games slow (2 ratings under 6 back to back on the left wing) but has proved effective everywhere along the front 4 since. My thinking originally was to bring him in mainly as replacement for the long departed Van P...so far so good in the 2 games he's played leading the line. Though it's Bartra who's proven to be the better value of the two. Should become a sturdy, creative defender in time. Until then he's plying his trade at right back, and though he's not as much an out and out attacking fullback as Sanga or Jenkinson, his solid passing ability and creativity have added an extra layer to the attacking component of the team.

fl89.png

More or less how I'm lining up right now. Replace Monreal with Gibbs and Jenk with Bartra and you have my first choice team (minus injuries).

The chase for Suarez for me is over they've accepted £46mil from Madrid for him after they rejected 55mil from me in January :( gutted, in April find myself 3rd 6 points in front of 5th and 4 points in front of 4th.

Got two signings over the line already for the summer Sven Bender & Kurt Zouma so my summer budget will be spent on a top striker.

Benteke is on the transfer list and he scored a hattrick against me I think thats a come and get me plea ;)

nice mark how did you gt the image at the top? i want it!

Cheers ATB, I just made it in Photoshop. If, grabbed the logo off the net then added the rest. Can flick it through if you want, or change the text to suit or needs :D

Giroud has not been all that inconsistent for me, even making it to the world team of the year of whatever it is called. I did however offload Podolski, who was the top-earner even though he was the 18th(!!) player when looking to current ability. In return I've added Lewandoski to the squad on a free (end of 2nd season) as well as some interesting regens.

2nd season was a great one all-in-all. Managed to win everything except for the League Cup :). Went out of the first round against City who I hate playing with their 3 AMCs and Sandro/Toure killer DMC/MC block.

I restarted this because of Ozil, had a really enjoyable first season, getting knocked out of the CL and FA Cup within 3 days only to seal the title in dramatic fashion with a 5-0 win at Stoke. Neil Taylor and Pogba come in Jan to aid my title push.

I get Suarez for £35m in the summer along with Nastasic and Adler. Since then... it's been a disaster really, Suarez in particular has been awful, really really bad. Pogba and Cazorla not doing a lot because of the awful shoots from distance PPM. I've had a few ghost goals too. Such a shame that after an enjoyable first season it's reverted to the same old illogical frustrating game that I've come to know over the last 9/10 months.

I started an Arsenal save on Pr0's summer update, the lure of Özil was too much to resist! Won everything barring the league cup in my first season, wrapping up the Premier League at WHL (:D:D) and beating Madrid 3-1 in the CL Final!

Seeing as I personally see the Özil deal as a bit of a turning point, I decided to spend fairly big, but only on player still capable of developing, setting us in good stead for at least the next 5 years. Liverpool's lowly finish (16th) led to me making a massive swoop in January and then eventually in the summer, bringing in Sturridge (£15M), Coutinho (£15M) and Luis Suarez (£28.5M).

Over the course of the season, I sold first-teamers Podolski, Monreal, Vermaelen, Jenkinson and Walcott (bringing in around £50M and using Monreal as a deadweight in the Bender deal) signing the aforementioned trio from Liverpool, as well as Lars Bender, Kwadwo Asamoah (will be retrained to play LB), Hector Moreno and Ricardo van Rhijn to replace/strengthen.

In relation to the earlier discussion about Wing Backs, it seems their behavior is fundamentally dictated by other positions. Having never had any trouble with them acting out of character before, as soon as I play Cazorla as a left sided AP, Gibbs starts cutting inside towards crowds all the time. Move Cazorla back to a left central Treq and Gibbs acts like a wing-back again.

Also how have people found the who starting reputation thingy. Tried playing my same tactics on a game where I had the lowest starting reputation and basically the players completely ignored my individual instructions, refused to acknowledge team-talks and complained about everything all the time. I hadn't considered it before having generally picked the ex-pro (or whatever the middle one is), but it appears to essentially be a difficulty setting.

Any thoughts?

what are you doing differently? (if its nothing at all, then that may be the issue)

I have made a few subtle changes, didn't work, went back to my standard tactic and still nothing. Giroud isnt scoring either, which is annoying. I'm still winning, still top of the league, but my no strikers aren't getting into the game at all.

Going into my second season I have decided to impose some rules on myself.

Mainly they will be based around my 25 man 1st team squad:

- I must have at least one player from each of the following areas: South America, North America, Asia, Oceania, Africa, Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, Western Europe and Southern Europe. I can choose to have two players from One of these areas if I wish. That accounts for 9 (or 10) of my 1st team squad. Players from Great Britain, France and Argentina do not count towards these requirements.

- The remaining 16 (or 15) players in my 1st Team Squad must be from either France, Great Britain or Argentina. At this stage it can be any combination but as I move forward I may change these a little.

- I am giving myself 3 offseasons to accomplish this, so offseason between season 1 & 2, 2 & 3, 3 & 4.

- All future transfers in must be with a view to meet these requirements.

Anyway, those rules may have to be tweaked as I haven't had a hard look at my squad as haven't had much playing time recently.

Question

I am going to sell Per, I like him IRL and he does play reasonably well, but he has become very error prone. So he will be the first of the first teamers to make way. As a replacement I am looking to bring in one of the French CBs. I will have roughly £20m to spend I think, and I want this player to be at a pretty high level as I don't see any of my young guys to be ready yet. Varane seems like a really good option, has anybody had any experience with him?

Going into my second season I have decided to impose some rules on myself.

Mainly they will be based around my 25 man 1st team squad:

- I must have at least one player from each of the following areas: South America, North America, Asia, Oceania, Africa, Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, Western Europe and Southern Europe. I can choose to have two players from One of these areas if I wish. That accounts for 9 (or 10) of my 1st team squad. Players from Great Britain, France and Argentina do not count towards these requirements.

- The remaining 16 (or 15) players in my 1st Team Squad must be from either France, Great Britain or Argentina. At this stage it can be any combination but as I move forward I may change these a little.

- I am giving myself 3 offseasons to accomplish this, so offseason between season 1 & 2, 2 & 3, 3 & 4.

- All future transfers in must be with a view to meet these requirements.

Anyway, those rules may have to be tweaked as I haven't had a hard look at my squad as haven't had much playing time recently.

Question

I am going to sell Per, I like him IRL and he does play reasonably well, but he has become very error prone. So he will be the first of the first teamers to make way. As a replacement I am looking to bring in one of the French CBs. I will have roughly £20m to spend I think, and I want this player to be at a pretty high level as I don't see any of my young guys to be ready yet. Varane seems like a really good option, has anybody had any experience with him?

I'm actually surprised you want to sell Mertesacker he's class on this, he got in world team of the year in my save

I'm actually surprised you want to sell Mertesacker he's class on this, he got in world team of the year in my save

Yeah I liked him at the start of the season, but in all seriousness, he would have contributed to probably 1/3 of my goals conceded in the run in. Constantly giving the ball away.

It's not only his performances though, I need to clear out some Germans Haha, and I have Gunter coming through as well as Gnarby so Mert is the one most likely to go and I can get £15m up front and £10m over 48 for him which doesn't seem too bad.

Yeah I liked him at the start of the season, but in all seriousness, he would have contributed to probably 1/3 of my goals conceded in the run in. Constantly giving the ball away.

It's not only his performances though, I need to clear out some Germans Haha, and I have Gunter coming through as well as Gnarby so Mert is the one most likely to go and I can get £15m up front and £10m over 48 for him which doesn't seem too bad.

haha alright, Papadopulous of Schalke is a decent option

Mertesacker's decision making is great - if he is giving the ball away its probably a lack of options.

ajw10 - its not a shock to do well in UCL and less well in the league, because perhaps the way you are set up suits playing teams of that calibre? Maybe you play on the break well etc? Or maybe the PL teams use formations which limit Suarez's room? The fact you switched your settings back may not have helped in that teams, after a successful season, get treated with a bit more "respect" or "fear" next season, so teams are more defensive against them.

Btw - yes reputation does affect how the players respond to you. After all we got Ozil because he wanted to work with Wenger. Man Utd struggled to sign players because Moyes is not Ferguson.

....Btw - yes reputation does affect how the players respond to you. After all we got Ozil because he wanted to work with Wenger. Man Utd struggled to sign players because Moyes is not Ferguson.

As I played 2 matches for England schoolboys in the 60's, I set my past experience to 'International Footballer'. One of the first things I do when starting a new game is to talk to the squad and I get responses that the players are really looking forward to working with me and hope we can be really successful under my management and their morale goes up as well.

Season update January/February 12/13

FA Cup 3rd round

Arsenal 1: Vermaelen

Morecombe 0:

League

Arsenal 6: Koscielny, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil x3

Southampton 2: Gibbs x2

Everton 2: Gibson, McCarthy

Arsenal 3: Ramsey, Suarez, Walcott

West Brom 1: Anelka (Pen)

Arsenal 2: Wilshere, Suarez

FA Cup 4th round

Arsenal 5: Chamberlain x2, Ozil, Walcott x2

Norwich 0:

League

Arsenal 2: Wilshere x2

Man Utd 0:

Stoke 2: Whelan, Crouch

West Ham 1: Carroll

Arsenal 3: Baines (Pen), Ramsey, Suarez

Champions League 1st round knockout

Galatasaray 4: Inan (Pen), Yilmaz, Bulut x2

Arsenal 2: Baines (Pen), Arteta (Pen)

FA Cup 5th Round

Arsenal 1: Arteta

Liverpool 1: Gerrard

League

Hull 2: Graham, Quinn

Arsenal 2: Wilshere, Ozil

FA Cup 5th Round Replay

Liverpool 1: Alberto

Arsenal 2: Suarez, Mertersacker

Currently 6th in the league

03221363-ebb0-42f9-9be3-1eab690bdff7_zpsd0ef3ced.jpg

Mid-Season Update(with summer) transfers

I should add that I was doing an experiment where I released all Chelsea's and Everton's players to see how they did unfortunately I forgot to untick it when I started this save:( by the time I noticed I couldn't be bothered to re-start anyway Everton are 19th and Chelsea are 20th:eek:

Arsenal1_zps16a5fc9c.jpg

Arsenal3_zpsc4172ef8.jpg

I got rid of Bould at the start and got Maurio Tassotti as asst man.

I usually use the 'Exploit the flanks' when the oppositions full backs are not too good, otherwise I have been using the other two in most matches mainly because I have quite a few players in the box.

I'm glad the tactic is working.

Hi Rosso

Is it only the 2 shouts you use , confused when you said "otherwise the other two in most matches".

cheers

Hi Rosso

Is it only the 2 shouts you use , confused when you said "otherwise the other two in most matches".

cheers

Hi GM, just reread the post and it does look like I use 3 shouts lol, my fault.

What I should have said was the 2 shouts I use most frequently are 'Clear ball to the flanks' and 'Hit early crosses'....BUT if the opposition's full backs are struggling or against some of the lower division clubs as in cup matches, then I may use 'Exploit the flanks'

Sorry for any confusion, it was me being a plonker...lol.

Season update March/April/May 12-13

League

Arsenal 3: Giroud x3

Norwich 1: Elmander

Champions League 1st round K/O

Arsenal 4: Ozil x2, Walcott, Inan o/g

Galatasary 0:

**Won 6-4 on Agg

FA Cup 6th round

Arsenal 0:

Q.P.R 0:

League