FM13 - whats working for you?

I've just noticed that I can't play with 3/4/5 sweepers on this version... unless massive improvements have been made tto how centre backs work I won't be playing 3 at the back in FM13 ( I really, really wanted to :( )

I've managed to get it to work. Just don't over complicate the tactics I've found and I'm well away. 3-4-3 works well with 1/2 central mids tracking back.

Three at the back works fine, it's just hard to set up. Not sure why so many people keep posting saying it doesn't work because three at the back tactics are very viable. But they all take time to set up and you'll actually have to pay attention to games in quite a bit of detail because any changes in shape or subs from the opposition can cause you a lot of problems if you dont react to the changes. The key is also the midfield as they will need to work harder.

Playing a 5-3-2 fomation with 3 centre backs (wide ones ballplaying) 2 wing backs on automatic, 2 central midfielders (box2box and DLP support), 1 Attacking midfielder attack and 2 strikers(1 advanced fwd and 1 complete fwd tweaked with more creative freedom and less fwd runs. Rigid, control, short passing, more expressive, more roaming, agressive tackling, more pressing. Counter attack ticked, playmaker unticked. Tempo set to first tick of quick and width on first tick of wide.

Working like a charm after patch:)

ever since the beta ME patch, all my old tactics from fm12 seams to work just fine, apart maybe from the set pice settings

so I have tried to work out which of the 4-1-2-2-1 formations that work best (I never had time to try all I dl'ed back then to see if any of them was better then my own creation), the counter attacking and rigid 4-4-2 and fluid passing based 4-2-3-1 both seams to preform to a similar level of what they used to do, so its all going well and I have picked up 7 wins and 1 draw in the competitive fixtures I have played so far on my Stoke save

Three at the back works fine, it's just hard to set up. Not sure why so many people keep posting saying it doesn't work because three at the back tactics are very viable. But they all take time to set up and you'll actually have to pay attention to games in quite a bit of detail because any changes in shape or subs from the opposition can cause you a lot of problems if you dont react to the changes. The key is also the midfield as they will need to work harder.

Clean, is there a way to replicate the way barca play with their 2 cbs spreading and the DM dropping in to a CB position to pick up the ball? I've had viable 3 at the back tactics work, but they've never really played the way i want them to offensively in terms of possession and spread (barcelona style).

I can't get any consistancy at all. Been playing with Spurs mainly 4-4-2 with AML & AMR. Attacking works great but have no back bone in the middle. It seems whoever I use in whatever role in the middle, they are like the invisible men! Will try the tactics linked here to see if they can give me a better starting point. Maybe I need to try my FM12 tactics no the patch has arrived, they were useless before mainly due to the crossing issues.

I too am finding 4-4-2 working well. Playing with Ajax, short passing, counter attacking. 2 Ball Playing centre halfs, one Ball Winning Mid (D), one DLP (S) Erikson, 2 wingers on support. Then upfront I have a TM (A) Cornilius BANGING THEM IN!!!! and DLF (S) Sigporrson. Won the league twice in a row, looking for a third win now. Got out of Champions League groups every year. Bringing through my quality young regens and generally having fun!!!!!!

Clean, is there a way to replicate the way barca play with their 2 cbs spreading and the DM dropping in to a CB position to pick up the ball? I've had viable 3 at the back tactics work, but they've never really played the way i want them to offensively in terms of possession and spread (barcelona style).

Cleon may well have a different and more in depth view and I appreciate you didn't ask me, but I've found a deep lying playmaker set to defend actually tracks back very nicely from midfield and helps a back three out a treat. The only way I can think of to get the centre backs split is to play a more wider back 3 with two defensive full backs and one centre back. There's more on that in the excellent - Inverting the Pyramid thread.

Certainly does Cleon. Ive got three tactics Im trying which all do the job.

Archived