dafuge's FM13 challenge

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know what the actual benefit of coaching courses is? Does it improve the star-ratings for the coaches and mean that, in the long term, my overall coaching will improve?

I think it makes them slightly better, however all it seems to do for me is have coaches arrive, use me for the grant to get a licence, then leave. It's happened with 4 coaches, winds me up.

I've put my save from the demo with Vauxhall on hold to start this, with Kendal Town, so I at least stay in the same division

Kendal Town F.C.

Kendal_Town_FC_logo.png

Kendal Town F.C. have officially unveiled Their new manager Ben Townley. The Young Welshman has already expressed his desire to take Kendal all the way to the glourious hights of the Premier and champions leagues. Many critics feel he is living in a fanstay world with these ambitions, but he told them to wait and see.

Initial Squad / Club Overview

Looks to be a tough season ahead in the BSP. Could only really sign four players - just no-one of any better quality interested in joining, despite being in a high league. Have no LM either (we had one on loan last season, Cambridge released but him he opted to go to Kidderminster who seem to be the moneybags team of the BSP, offering £1k wages left right and center!).

Lose 3-2 at Southport in our first game, 2-0 down on 84 mins, 2-2 on 89. Concede a 93rd minute winner, static defending all over the place (couldn't bring in any new defenders, which I noted as our weakest position last season!) so we've just go to try and outscore the opposition once again!

Yeah really lacking in several positions, not through lack of trying to find players either...but you know when your board can't even organise a trial day because there aren't enough players interested in joining there's something unattractive about your club :D

At least we'll profit well this season!

My season may being going badly, but I've just drawn Man City away in the FA Cup 4th round :cool:

I've also noticed that they are due to move into a new stadium in 2019, which makes it look like the 20 year limit has gone.

But City rent the stadium from Manchester City Council initially, so that wouldn't invoke the 20 year rule would it?

Lost to Man City 3-2 :D

£700k profit from the match though, which should set us up for next season.

A creditable showing...boosting your credit rating too :)

Won 2 out of 4, but it wasn't enough. I'll try some other challenges and I'll be back for another crack at some point. :thup:

Gutting, was hoping you'd pull off a great escape :(

We went on to beat Barrow 4-2 in our first BSP home game; again showing we can attack but have massively defensive problems down the middle. Toward the end of the game decided to check out my CBs instructions and jiggled them around a little, basically making them incredible defensive.

With Northampton up next, recently relegated from League Two, I knew we'd be in for a tough ride at Sixfields with our defence like it had been. Kept the changes I made for the last 10 minutes against Barrow, and swapped my Deep-Lying Foward for a Defensive Midfielder (set to defend and instructions made more defensive) to play a 4-1-4-1, only the second time in the save I've switched from my much loved 4-4-2. Bare in mind I'm still playing with the same mentality (Attacking), but I'm hoping the defensive changes will make us a lot more solid without impacting on our attacking prowess.

So this happened :D

2012-11-04_00001.jpg

Lucky you may say with only 5 shots on target, but really in my eyes they all were clear cut - one on ones! All of Northampton's chances came from either outside the box, or headers from corners. We shut them out completely, then devastated them on the attack. Was in fits of laughter by half-time, first clean sheet of the season and in some style!

Having turned my back on Hastings on account of the fact I can't read what's happening if I play anyone in red, I'm currently going through the reloading ritual. Just got Chesham, which I don't believe anyone else is playing as yet? If not Chesham, I'm thinking Margate (I'm from Kent), or Kingstonian. Thoughts?

Lucky you may say with only 5 shots on target, but really in my eyes they all were clear cut - one on ones! All of Northampton's chances came from either outside the box, or headers from corners. We shut them out completely, then devastated them on the attack. Was in fits of laughter by half-time, first clean sheet of the season and in some style!

Great result, but i'd never laugh at half time, my team have capitulated stunningly before. I've thrown away a 4-1 lead in 11 minutes before. I genuinely get more nervous going in front than i do going behind.

Good luck Wiwyum, and I'd say Margate josh, there's always a slightly better feeling if you lead a local club forward. Though tbh if I were you I'd take Chesham since you've already got them loaded.

BEDFORD TOWN

The Eagles!

BadgeBedford_Town.png

2014-15 - Blue Square Bet North

The season started off a little inconsistent, and I was having some serious injury problems. As the season went on, the injury problems continued but we managed to hang around playoff contention. However, a little past the halfway point we finally found our top form and managed to make the top spot ours from there on out.

League Table|Positions

We had good cup runs and made it to the 2nd round of the FA cup where we lost to L1 Tranmere. In the Trophy we made it to the 3rd round before losing to BSP Tamworth. Without these runs our finances would look in dire straits, as if they aren't already!

Finances|Transfers|Squad

Key Players

Shane Birtles - Once again my main man up front, he was a significant reason we are going up, scoring 25 in 44 apps!

James Clarke - My creative influence in the midfield, bagging 7 goals and 7 assists in the league.

Sam Saunders - My rock at the back (and occasionally the midfield)!

The bad thing is that I will not be able to keep these players nor most of the rest of my team due to wage demands. With a significant portion of my players all requesting 500-600+ I am going to have to gut out the squad and start from scratch for the new challenge ahead of us.

Season          League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14         Blue Square North     16th               
2014/15         Blue Square North     1st              Automatic Promotion

After much deliberation I've decided to stick with the claret & blue kit, and I have gone for a club that so far no-one else appears to have chosen - Chesham United.

BadgeChesham_United.png

Manager - Joshua Milton

Information - Personal

Information - Nationalities

History

Club - Chesham United

Overview

Finances

Staff

Information

Facilities

History

Honours

Wikipedia

Chesham United

Up the Generals!

Ashton United

The Robins!

ClubLogo.jpg

2013-14 - Blue Square Bet North

Phew, what a roller coaster ride!! The first half of the season was a struggle to find any sort of form.

Things picked up once we were dumped out of the cups and our fixture list settled on a game a week...which was surprising...as was no games getting called off during the winter.

The more consistent form I was hoping for materialised, although we still seemed a tad too leaky at the back, around the time I changed match preperation to defensive positioning around the 18-19 game mark.

League Table | Progress Chart

In the FA Cup we reached the 4th qualifying and lossing out to BSP side Wrexham 2-0 in the replay after a 1-1 draw.

In the FA Trophy we reached the 2nd round and loosing out to Wrexham again, this time 3-1.

Finances | Transfers | 1st Team Squad

Key Players

Steve Charrett Wasn't expecting too much from him but he just kept on grabbing the goals. 32 goals in 49 appearances - 29 goals in 43 league games. No penalties.

Aaron George Didn't think of him much during the season, looking back he's been fairly solid and consistant. 10 goals and assists from a wide position which isn't too shabby.

Liam Murray Our rock at the back. Shame our back line collectively lack pace which is an issue to look at.

I'm sure the fans will understandably pick Steve Charrett as the player of the year...which fan doesn't love a goalscorer :) But my player of the season wasn't any of the above but Rob Lloyd.

He didn't score many (2 goals) or assist many (6 assists) but his ball retention (90% pass completion) in the middle of the park was invaluble (Stats)

*edt* The fans picked Liam Murray as player of the year.

History

2013/14         Blue Square North     2nd               Promoted via Play offs 

*edt* updating links to keep better track of images.

After much deliberation I've decided to stick with the claret & blue kit, and I have gone for a club that so far no-one else appears to have chosen - Chesham United.

BadgeChesham_United.png

Manager - Joshua Milton

Information - Personal

Information - Nationalities

History

Club - Chesham United

Overview

Finances

Staff

Information

Facilities

History

Honours

Wikipedia

Chesham United

Up the Generals!

GL. I took them to the top last year. Great club and the kit is cool too :)

fG2Mv.jpg

MadMcMan- Carshalton Athletic - Blue Square Premier - 2017/18

Champions! we dominated the league early on winning game after game and getting a nice comfortable lead in the league. We then went on a terrible run of games where we won 6 out of 17 only managing some draws to keep us in top spot. Luckily a win against Lincoln in the second last game of the season whilst Farnborough, Cambridge and Yeovil lost won it for us.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Cups - Lots of replays in the fa cup. We finally met Norwich in the third round away which brought in around 300k which was nice.

Squad 2 - Our Strikers played well and kept us going through the tougher games.

Transfers Some good players brought in but not too many want to resign for next season.

Finances - 363k in the black, we will hopefully turn professional next season which should be fun.

Key Player Profiles:

Gozie Ugwu - Grabbed 16 in 43 Is he up to league two though?

Corey Gameiro - 11 in 42, mostly from sub appearances.

Jack Munns - 10 in 39 but is on a non contract and doesn't want to sign a proper contract.

Ryan O'Reilly - Solid again but he wants a fortune next season.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14   Blue Square Bet South    1st            Promotion!
2014/15   Blue Square Premier       15th          Survived.
2015/16   Blue Square Premier       7th   
2017/18   Blue Square Premier       1st            Promotion! FA cup 3rd round.

Next Season

Survival is essential, promotion would be nice. it depends on building a new squad i think.

Season Update 2015/16

St Neots Town

stneot.png

Profile - Table - Graph - Squad - Finances - Transfers

A good season which saw us promoted as champions of BSP. Following the disappointment of finishing 17th in previous season, I was "forced" to change playstyle, and went from 4-2-2-2-1 to 5-3-2 most of season - But the main change was getting 3

DC with significantly better stats and a keeper, that could actually catch the little flying bugger.

Didn't have any true stars of the season, it was more a combined effort. Should some players be acknowledged however, it would be:

Keeper: Matthew Gledhill. Youth prospect from Portsmouth originally, but signed from Dartford.

AML: Scott Schulton. Signed from Cambridge last season.

AMC: Erico Sousa. Youth prospect from Man City, signed last season.

Cup run was a mixed joy. It was enter/exit in the FAT.

FA Cup was slightly better, with an exit in 3rd round to minnows Arsenal. Tested 4-6-0 at home and managed a suprisingly 0-0, in the return game using same tactics, Arsenal send us home crying with a thundering 5-0 defeat.

Finances are in the red at the end of season, due to board building more seats to accomodate L2.

Hopefully, I can slowly exchange the poorer players with some of a more decent stature over the next season. (scouting all 4 trialist squads, and offering contracts, even thu scouts tell they aren't interested, is a nice way to get some decent players)

Season	League	Position Achievements
2013/14	BSN	4th	 Qual. through playoffs	
2014/15	BSP	17th	 None
2015/16	BSP	1st	 Winner

[/url]

St.Neots

Season 2018/19 Update - Blue Square North Division

fmavatar.pngcrest.png

League Table - League Graph - Fixtures - FA Cup - Transfers - Squad

League Summary: PROMOTION. I was certain I was going to win it. 21 games and I was topping the league and was in good form. Game was sweet easy and fun. Then something went awry resulting in an odd 15 games(3 wins, 1 loss and 11 draws(!!)). I had a thin squad 18 players or so. A couple of key injuries and suspensions in february, so I went on a short term loan frenzy in february. 5 players in on Loan. I am very grateful for latest Loan arrival -> Victor Zapata-Caicedo. Didnt score a single goal until the playoffs, Then he netted 4 in the 3 games. \o/

I also expected Stuart Carree to shoot me straight to promotion. 15 in 39 games was not the free flowing scoring form I was expecting.

Star Players - Pre Season Squad for BSP 14 players in total. Only 3 of em BSP worthy according to my assistant. Those are Stuart Carree ST - Frank Henderson ML/AML and Laurence Frost DC . Let us hope I can find a GK before the season starts, because atm I don't have one.

Next Season: After 6 seasons in BSN the promotion was a relief and very welcome.(finished season at 3am off to work at 6am) Now survival and trying to get good enough players to sign for 400£ a week contracts. It will not be easy.

W    D    L    G  Pnts   
2018/19 BSN 4th - 18 | 15 | 9  | +21| 69 | Promotion through Playoffs - Fa cup 2nd round
2017/18 BSN 2nd - 22 | 9  | 11 | +22| 75 | FA cup 2nd Round. Playoff Final lost
2016/17 BSN 4th - 18 | 13 | 11 | +9 | 67 | Playoff semi lost - no cup luck
2015/16 BSN 6th - 21 |  7 | 14 | +10| 70 | FA cup 1st 
2014/15 BSN 9th - 17 | 12 | 13 | +1 | 63 | FA cup 3rd
2013/14 BSN 9th - 19 |  5 | 18 | +2 | 62 | 

Kendal Town End of Season 2013-14

Position - 16th

Not a successful season at all. We had a slight improvement between Jan and March then it went downhill again.

Manager Overview

Played plenty of games, won hardly any.

Manager Profile

Fixtures

Shocking end to the season, letting in 8 goals in the last 2 games.

No stand out players. No cup run. Nothing. Diddly Squat.

Time to rebuild the squad while listening to Queen.

Rock on Season 2014-15

Kendal Town F.C.

Season Summary 2013/14

Kendal_Town_FC_logo.png

The season overall was acceptable, with an finish of 13th which was unexpected at the start of the season, but this was actually a dissapointing final position with the club having danced with play-off hopes at times during the season, but there were win results that went our way towards the end of the season. With no progress in the cups, finances are looking poor, but the board are still expanding the stadium regardless.

Final Position / Past Positions / Squad / Transfers

Fans Player of the Year: Steven Smith (DLC)

Best Eleven (season): Best Eleven 2013/14

Aims for next season: With many players unwilling to take on new contracts, the main goal will be to replace them with better players and challenge for top half at least

Lowestoft_Town_Badge.png

Sheffield Sunday- Lowestoft Town - Blue Square North - 2013/14

Debut seasons. Never easy. Success variable, but somehow, somewhere, through the skin of our teeth, we managed to get into the playoffs thanks to finding an attacking formation that reaped rewards towards the end of the season, and going unbeaten in the last five league games and only dropping two points in the process.

This set the foundations, and I knew that in the playoffs anyone could beat anybody else on their day. First up was Chester, and a 1-1 home draw meant I was up against it. Remarkably, as the team had proved a few times during the season their away form was better than their home performances (a 1-6 demolition of FC Halifax had opened my eyes early in the season), but I was not prepared for the elation that followed with a 1-4 defeat of Chester.

Next the final, and I was disappointed to be playing a trickier St Neots who had done the double over me home and away. No matter, and attacking 4-4-2 levied an early goal and a backs against the wall defensive performance, hitting on the break reaped rewards a 3-1 win, and playoff success.

PROMOTION!!!

League Table

League Positions Graph

Squad - Good all round performances on the whole. Helped by the prolific Richard Pacquette!

Finances - Need a cup run to help out here!

Key Player Profiles:

Daniel Bisungu - a good young striker, who will can only improve - a solid first season for The Trawlermen.

Lee Smith - 15 goals from right wing. Classy.

Ed Palmer - an expensive buy - but a great, body on the line defender, who along with Greg Crane made a formindible defensive partnership

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14   Blue Square Bet North       5th            Promotion through the playoffs!

Next Season

Survival is essential building a new squad mandatory.

Edit: clicked first continue after writing post and this happened... New Stadium. Nice but pricey!

BadgeKettering_Town.png

Kettering Town - Barclays Premier League - 2025/26

After last seasons amazing achievement I wanted to build on that. Unfortunately this season was not our best. My team was more interested in playing in the European matches and our league form suffered as a result of this.

League Table

Past Positions

My players werent interested in playing in the league by the looks of it. We had terrible runs including losing 7 in a row. We played very poor football as well. I think teams have started to play more defensively against us as our reputation has risen alot since last season. I aim to counter this next season by creating a new tactic which allows more creative freedom to break teams down.

Champions League - Finished 3rd in a tough group, if we had won our final game we would have gone through to the knockout rounds. A good experiance.

Europa League - A good run which saw us knock out Shaktar, Osasuna, Udinese and Spartak Moscow on our way to the final where we lost 1-0 to Feyernoord.

FA Cup - Shock quarter final exit to League Huddersfield. We didnt show up.

Capital One Cup - I wanted to retain the cup and I thought we would when we reached the final. Unfortunately we lost 1-0 to Charlton.

Squad - Lacked the strength and depth to compete in all competitions.

Transfers - Duarte struggled at times, Espinoza played well in his debut season.

Finances - £5.72m Profit. Cant complain. Edit: Forgot about this. Extra £18m thank you :D

Key Player Profiles:

Kristoffer Dahl - Good season but didnt score enough in the league.

Hector Livora - Started on fire but had a poor second half to the season.

Jorge Martinez - Another strong season. Would struggle without him.

Franklin Javier Espinoza - New signing who settled in nicely. Set up 20 goals

This season was a real struggle at times. The team played poorly in the league but then in Europe they would turn up and play well. Really need to get some consistancy next season.

Career Overview

2013/14         Blue Square North     12th               
2014/15         Blue Square North     2nd               Promoted Playoffs
2015/16         Blue Square Prem      1st               League Winners
2016/17         League 2              12th              Survived
2017/18         League 2              3rd               Automatic Promotion
2018/19         League 1              6th               Lost in playoff final
2019/20         League 1              3rd               Promoted Playoffs
2020/21         Championship          2nd               Promoted
2021/22         Premier League        10th              
2022/23         Premier League        6th
2023/24         Premier League        8th
2024/25         Premier League        4th               Capital One Cup winners
2025/26         Premier League        9th          Europa League and League Cup runners up

Kingstonian. Season '13-'14.

kbadge.jpg

BSS league position: 6th

FA Cup: Lost in 1st round at Crystal Palace

FA Trophy: Lost in 2nd round at Torquay

Summary: Past positions Final table Transfers

Loads of fringe players out, loads of fronge players in. I'm finding it hard to attract anyone except prospects, so the squad stayed young. We pushed the front-runners early int he season, then got slightly derailed by cup runs and replays (which helped us break even for the year). A recovery in the second-half of the season saw us into the play-off places again, and just needing a point on the final day - comfortably drawing 2-2, first a centre-back and then a centre-mid get themselves sent-off. We lose 3-2, and drop out of the play-offs.

I'm losing 2 of my main players next season because I can't afford their wages. I'm not confident.

wmlOS.png

Wealdstone - Blue Square Bet South - 2013/14

The starting squad was pretty good for the level, I didn't have to do too much and worked with what I had.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Pretty indifferent start, we didn't really get going until the 2nd half of the season, but once we got into the play-off places, we were never in danger of slipping out. We lost in the playoff semi to Dorchester, 4-1 on aggregate, so I was really disappointed about that. I wish we had been a bit more competitive.

FA Trophy-Got to the 1st round of the FA Trophy but didn't really care about it, we were majorly outclassed by Luton.

FA Cup- Knocked out at the 2nd qualifying round, which was really disappointing. Hope to do better next season.

Squad - I had a pretty decent squad by the end of the season, but I definitely need a new goalkeeper, and probably a new left and right back.

Transfers - A fair few ins and outs, won't have to do much overhauling in the off-season, but I would like to sign Kwesi Appiah permanently.

Finances - A pretty pressing concern, hopefully we can bring some decent money in during the pre-season.

Key Player Profiles:

Alan Massey - A rock at the back, we would've conceded far more had he not been in the side.

Kwesi Appiah - Got him on loan from Crystal Palace, great goalscorer, and despite being out for 6 months with a broken foot, topped our goalscoring charts. Hopefully I can sign him permanently and he stays fit for an extended time.

Alex Dyer - Was at the club when I took over, and our best creative outlet. Tidy little player.

Career Overview

Season           League                   Position          Achievements
        2013/14     Blue Square Bet North           3rd             Lost in the Playoff Semi.

Next Season

I'd like to make the playoffs again, and with a bit of quality I think we could challenge for the title too.

Season 2015/16 Review - Kendal Town in the Blue Square Bet Premier

League Table | Past Positions | Cups

Tougher than I expected. A 1-10-5 record from the first 16 games, using the same approach and roughly same players that sealed promotion last season, speaks for itself. Switched to a flat counter-attacking 442 but only saw very gradual improvements. 14th is a flattering finish, to be honest.

Squad

Better depth this season and we needed it, though I'm about £400 over budget now. Lomas is proving an unexpected key player, probably thanks to that crossing ability. Another (preferably a bit better) keeper wouldn't hurt.

Transfers

Curran is the highlight here, for sure. So many roles that I can (and did) use him in, with great success. Plays dirty, but usually manages to stay on the pitch at least. Usually. Elding did well enough as a target man type up top, and Williams and Sinclair helped shore things up on the other end. A few more signings like this on the other positions and I really feel like I should be able to push for higher league positions.

Finances

Club implosion in 3... 2...

Aim for next season: Improve our league position. This seems suitably vague.

Season    League                    Finish   Achievements
2015/16   Blue Square Bet Premier   14th     -
2014/15   Blue Square Bet North     1st      League winners
2013/14   Blue Square Bet North     5th      -

dHOcy.jpg

Grantham Town

2013/14 Season Review

A frustrating season which never really got going but overall we achieved what was asked of us from the board. I inherited a pretty big squad, released a couple and then signed far to many players who weren’t much better but earned far more than their colleagues.

I thought we had a good start to the season with three draws against three top teams but then couldn’t pick up a win for three more game. There were good times (going unbeaten for 8 games) and some bad times (last win was 1st of Feb, we then drew 5 and lost 8). Other than just not having the talent, I also changed formations far to much, I think we used 7 during the season, mostly 4-4-2, but I felt we just weren’t getting a foot in the game like that so I changed it to 5-3-2 and then finished with 3-5-2 (which resulted in 4 straight defeats).

We managed to make it to a 3rd Round Qualifying in the FA Cup and the 3rd Round Replay in the FA Trophy, we'll need to aim for a cup run next year.

Key Players

Scott Barrow - A January loan signing from BSP side Tamworth, he was brought in as a Center Mid but ended up playing most his games as a Left Wingback or Left Mid. He was a class above the players that we started with, but was unable to make a real impact.

Laurie Bell - The only stand out player from those that were there when I arrived. He was a victim from me signing countless other centre mids who just werent a patch on him, because of his he only played 25 league games, yet was still the best in that position.

Matt Taylor - A genuine star signed on loan from BSP side Forest Green, not only because I managed to sign him without contributing to his wages but because he scored 16 in 37 league games. While this was good, after 12 he had already scored 10 so something obviously went wrong. He'd only made 2 appearances off the bench for Forest Green in 2012/13 but the season before he scored 10 in 27 games in the BSP. I know I'm unlikely to see him return next season, but it was fun while it lasted.

Finances - It got worse than this, a few weeks later, after season bonus were paid out, we ended up loosing a £100k from the season. The board put another £55k in to keep things running. With a wage budget of £3,400k a week, I spent a few months £500 over it and then finished the season £150 over it. While it may not seem much, in the scope that I'm working with it seems to have had a significant impact. I'll need to be stricter next year and we'll really need a decent cup run otherwise things could go belly up.

Next Season

Initial budgets have been set at £200 less than last year. I really only wanted to keep 4 or 5 players but they all want far to much, as things stand re-signed two players on for next year. None of my loan players look to be coming back which is a real shame.

I think with a clean slate I'll be much better prepared for what will come in 2014/15, I'm determined to make a considered decision on what formation/tactics I'll use and assemble a squad accordingly.

[table]
[tr]
[td]Season[/td]
[td]Division[/td]
[td]Position[/td]
[td]Achievements[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]2013/14[/td]
[td]Blue Square North[/td]
[td]17th[/td]
[td]Survived[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

CRAP! Got sacked from FC United. Was sitting 17th in the BSP after losing two games in a row, at which point I got sacked... Now reloading again, in the hope I get a team I've been wanting to play as. Either that, or I continue the Worksop save I started with the end of season and gaining automatic promotion. The only problem with that save is that I'm in the red, and the board once again decided to set about building a new stadium which we simply can't afford.

Archived