*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

alright played this for a little bit now. Immediate thoughts are

1) Goalkeepers are completely ********, and are the main contributors to the high goal count, i frequently have the ball bouncing off them and into the net (this is at blue square north level, perhaps its better up the pyramid?). On many occassions they dont even bother to move.

2) Attacking Midfielders are super effective, and strikers are bizarrely less effective, theres no need to play more than 1 up front in any circumstances from what I can tell.

3) Would love a small attendance stat in the bottom left on pitch view.

4) The magical mystery monster will attempt to negotiate deals for players that I have added as a transfer target, despite that being defined as my responsibility. Dont really mind this as it's a way to have a second round of negotations with a player who has taken the hump, but the mechanics between this and the responsibilities are contradictory.

5) New Layout is pretty confusing for me, its really taking a lot of getting used to, also being picky here, but the dark grey for unselected players would be better if it could just be a shade or 2 lighter.

6) I have had players reacting to other players individual teamtalks, which is really wierd, also many player reactions dont seem to make sense.

7) Game speed is terrible with lots of leagues loaded even on top end PC's

8) With a small squad at stalybridge, I seem to never have injuries, even when a player is injured during a match. Hopefully this is just luck rather than by design.

9) Too many pre-match press conferences (i.e. every game) for unimportant games

I'm with Stalybridge but am experiencing terrible fitness problems, most weeks I have to change half the team as all my players are around or under 80%.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the training module (still struggling to figure it out...) previously we could set all players to rest 1 day, 2 days, 3 days or a week which was pretty handy when you had no games for say 8 days. Can we still do that? If not, could we have this back (keeping the rest option of rest before/after match of course)?

I hate hate HATE the new skin. It's really bad, and then worse.

There's no logic anywhere, it's ugly and it's annoying with the hoover-things.

I may not have to click as much as before but i have to spend two minutes with trying to get the cursor to the button i want to click on.

I don't like the colours in the squad neither. One colour for everyone no matter if they're on the pitch, on the bench or on the stand!

Appart from the disastrous skin i have nothing to complain about. Some bugs here and there, especially in the match engine, are TO BE EXPECTED of a BETA. I'm confident those things will be fixed with a patch that will be released much sooner that usual now that we've all had two weeks to test and report differet bugs. The first large patch usually takes up to a month, this year maybe we will get it during the first week? :)

I'm with Stalybridge but am experiencing terrible fitness problems, most weeks I have to change half the team as all my players are around or under 80%.

I'm actually having to play guys with 70 - 80% fitness, so I'm getting that too, but what im not getting are injuries

I hate hate HATE the new skin. It's really bad, and then worse.

There's no logic anywhere, it's ugly and it's annoying with the hoover-things.

I may not have to click as much as before but i have to spend two minutes with trying to get the cursor to the button i want to click on.

I don't like the colours in the squad neither. One colour for everyone no matter if they're on the pitch, on the bench or on the stand!

You can change the way you navigate around from 'hover' to 'click' in the GUI preferences which made the skin a little less frustrating for me. But yes I agree it seems it has just been changed for changes sake. There's nothing really new or vital where the old menu used to be and to me it just seems like SI have made it look different so all the non perceptive players don't moan it's exaxtly the same as FM12

Im on a Man Utd save and Im a bit worried about how good some of my non great players are, Ashley young is going round scoring wonder goals like Messi against the top teams. If it was a one off that would have been great, if it was actually Messi that would have been great too. If I drop him and the play Welbeck as an IF in the AML position then he has a scoring ratio just like Messi and Ronaldo. Whats the point of amazing players like Messi and Ronaldo having better attributes in FM, when all you need are players like Young and Welbeck who can produce similar results with lesser attributes on lesser wages. There should be a big difference between top top world class players and decent top league players, which at the moment doesn't seem to exist.

Im on a Man Utd save and Im a bit worried about how good some of my non great players are, Ashley young is going round scoring wonder goals like Messi against the top teams. If it was a one off that would have been great, if it was actually Messi that would have been great too. If I drop him and the play Welbeck as an IF in the AML position then he has a scoring ratio just like Messi and Ronaldo. Whats the point of amazing players like Messi and Ronaldo having better attributes in FM, when all you need are players like Young and Welbeck who can produce similar results with lesser attributes on lesser wages. There should be a big difference between top top world class players and decent top league players, which at the moment doesn't seem to exist.

I noticed this with Clint Dempsey (Spurs). Dempsey is not noted for his pace..., yet on a few occasions I've seen him (playing AMC) accelerate like a rocket and tear past the opposition defence to slot a through ball home.

Just finished my first season with Havant and Waterloo. A bit more feedback and some (still unanswered) questions:

1). Game speed was excellent! Got through my first season in about 13/14 hours rather than a week. Impressed.

2). Being involved in transfer deadline day - love it!

3). Despite the issues with the game engine, I was predicted mid-table finish and finished in 14th.

4). Finances - I am still bleeding money like crazy, despite getting to the FA Cup 1st round and being within my wage budget for the majority of the season. Apart from releasing contracted players on a free, what am I doing wrong? Even with binning a few players I cant see how I'm 230k in debt after one season.

Questions for SI (or people in the know).

1). Coaching badges - what effect do they have on staff attributes/effectiveness if any?

2). Press conference tone - What difference does it make? Why bother varying it (or keeping it the same)?

3). Will media choices be updated before launch? (see my posts in the bugs forum regarding media interaction choices not making sense/being too limited).

4). Will press conference responses be updated before launch?

Off to start my second season :)

D

I'm coming to the end of my second season with Man Utd, & I've noticed many of the commonly noted problems already, such as

1. Strikers are completely pointless. I was struggling to score goals initially, and ended up splurging a huge amount of my transfer budget on Falcao, great stats, great record. So far he's gone 28 matches with no goals. He gets clean through on goal, then decides to run off to the side and await a passing option. I'd be ok if it were just him, but it seems all players in that position, seem to forget they're supposed to score goals, and just make the most ridiculous decisions. Rarely do I get a player scoring when 1 on 1 with the keeper.

2. Shooting, always shooting. Nothing I can do will stop the players deciding to hit a long shot, even though there are other options available. I've set the sliders on every player to have them not do this, and still they persist.

3. As mentioned by many others, the goalkeepers must be wearing boxing gloves as they seem to never catch the ball at all, it always just hits off them out into the box, where the ever docile defenders, just stare at the opposition player coming in to strike it.

I've mentioned this earlier, but I'm going to have to again. The amount of crosses and goals as a result is absolutely ridiculous, according to steam I've clocked up 15 hours now on the beta and borderline every goal I've seen is from a cross, both conceded and scored. Also I've just conceded directly from a cross that went in the top corner, normally I'd have a laugh about it but in the circumstances it just proves how broken the match engine is with regards to crossing.

This is an absolute game breaker at the moment, I can clearly see the potential in the game but as a beta I may well leave it till release day.

The other thing I'd like to ask, is it possible to change the match engine interface to the grey colour of the manager UI? I don't like the dark UI of the match engine, makes it seem so depressing.

Started a game with my beloved Barnsley and i have noticed Mido is on 12k a week!!

Mido is one of the lowest paid members of the squad, while Luke Steele is paid the most (in real life)

Looking through some of the other players, the wages seem way too unrealistic this season on the game. Also the cost of players.

I've mentioned this earlier, but I'm going to have to again. The amount of crosses and goals as a result is absolutely ridiculous, according to steam I've clocked up 15 hours now on the beta and borderline every goal I've seen is from a cross, both conceded and scored. Also I've just conceded directly from a cross that went in the top corner, normally I'd have a laugh about it but in the circumstances it just proves how broken the match engine is with regards to crossing.

This is an absolute game breaker at the moment, I can clearly see the potential in the game but as a beta I may well leave it till release day.

The other thing I'd like to ask, is it possible to change the match engine interface to the grey colour of the manager UI? I don't like the dark UI of the match engine, makes it seem so depressing.

Not every goal for me but 60% of them at least.

Also I find my goalkeepers run striaght to the back post and leave an open goal on most of those crossing goals.

Can someone from Sega or Sigames tell me how much of these slight bugs will be fixed by the time the full release comes out or will we have to wait for the usual patch in Feb to sort out most of the issues, I aint criticizing as I can't imagine how hard it is to sort these issues out, also if you fix an issue it might cause another issue, so I understand you trying to find that balance, just curious how much effort you guys make to fix these small issues.

• Administrators

Remember this is a work in progress and the released game will be different to the version you're playing now. As with always, every issue raised on here as a bug will be logged into our system and depending on time restrictions and the importance of the issue hopefully it can be fixed for release and any potential further updates. As people have correctly said it is a balancing act, ideally of course every single tiny bug or concern would be addressed but realistically we know that just won't be possible.

So if you do find any bugs whatsoever, please do take the time to raise them in our bugs forum so we can make sure if they haven't been reported already, they most definitely will be after you post.

Bug forums can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/291

Thanks.

Played some more, and I am very impressed over how fast and smooth the game runs. I like the new interface a lot, even though the text sometimes is too small for my old eyes. There are some bugs, but I assume they will be fixed berore the release or with the first patch.

Good job, SI.

I’ve posted most of this stuff over in OTF, but I figure I should register my opinions in this thread as well. I’ve got quite a few issues with things I’ve come across in the beta, and I’ll try and take them point-by-point in a measured, critical (not criticising) manner. I’m sure some or all of these points have been raised already, but there’s about 1700 posts in this thread so I haven’t read the whole thing.

The match screen is where most of my serious gripes come from. Safe to say I’m not a fan of the changes:

• For the last I-don't-know-how-many CM and FM games, I have followed matches from the Stats panel that shows the two teams’ ratings side by side, relying on automatic panel switching to show me the key highlights when they occur. Now, automatic panel switching is gone, and I don’t understand why. Seriously, I’m a bit lost without it. It’s an option that has been taken away from me, which frankly I resent. Stupid to get annoyed about it, but here we are.
  • I’m trying to get by with the ‘split’ version of the pitch view, with the match action on the left and my team’s ratings on the right. This is better than the ‘full’ view, which I really don’t like – I don’t need the pitch to be that big and the small pop up box in the middle of the screen displaying player ratings just doesn’t work for me. Still, I have a problem with the split view – I manually re-size the panels so the pitch takes up the larger space (screenshot), but after half time and tactics changes, the panels automatically reset themselves to be equal in size. That leaves the pitch too small and the ratings panel way too big, a really inefficient use of screen space. Not a serious problem, but a nagging thing when I have to re-size them multiple times a game.
  • The action bar (I think that’s the right term) is way too small. Clicking and dragging the slider means you can’t clearly see anything on the bar underneath - http://i.imgur.com/62Lhj.png - there’s a goal icon under there, but you can’t see it and that’s even without the cursor showing up in the screengrab. Again, maybe not a huge problem, but it’s a detail that doesn’t seem to have been shown the necessary attention. It’s something that’s annoyed me so far because of a bug I’ve seen where clicking on a link to view a goal occasionally starts the playback from the moment immediately after the ball has gone in, meaning I have to click and drag the fiddly little slider into the right place.
  • The ‘Continue’ button at the end of the game only being in the top right – this just slows me down, and seems odd considering the button that takes you to the ‘Post-match analysis’ screen is still available in the bottom right, where the buttons to exit a match have been for a long time. Now some of them are still in the bottom right, and some have been moved to the top right. That seems inconsistent to me, and it hardly helps the game flow smoothly – I like to click through the analysis page quickly because it’s never really shown me anything of interest.
  • Pausing the match makes all the pop-ups with assistant’s advice, etc disappear. When there's multiple items there, my instinct is to pause the game to read them. Can't be done.

Other more general things I’ve come across, in no particular order:

• Clicking on a match result in a news item takes me to this screen by default - http://i.imgur.com/wSThL.jpg - which isn't as useful as it could be. The only information I can glean from that is the scoreline, which I already know because I clicked on that in the news item. Couldn’t it take me to the overview screen or a stats panel?
  • The re-ordered tone categories in the team talks. Not really a huge issue and it’s something I can get used to, but it seems a superfluous change.
  • The general shuffling of the buttons and links on all pages. I wish so much stuff hadn’t been moved from the left to the right of the screen. I can’t remember an FM game where things like the overview or news buttons weren’t left of centre, and now they’ve been moved. The eye is naturally drawn to the top left of a screen (and I’m not just talking about FM there), so moving useful things like that to the other side feels counter-intuitive. As well as that, these buttons are now too close to the ‘Continue’ button and I find myself having to take care to not accidentally click on with the game when I'm trying to look at a player's history. The whole ‘mouse over to reveal more menus’ thing is something that has always annoyed me as well, no matter where it’s been used.
  • I miss the tabs design. Sure, it may work essentially the same way now, but tabs are great, that’s why they get used so much.
  • I miss the static search box. Sure, I like the scroll menus that are part of the new search mechanic, but wasn't there any way we could have both?
  • I miss the breadcrumbs along the bottom left of the screen. They were useful, now they're not there. They gave a nice sense of the interface being 'framed' as well, which is also gone now that the footer bar has been done away with.
  • Tactics and squad pages – the dark grey background for player rows doesn’t work for me. The field behind those areas is white, so it makes players who aren’t selected in the squad stand out more than players who are selected. It’s just too much of a contrast for my liking.
  • The tactics page specifically – opening the positions filter hides the ‘Ask To Pick’ button. Seems like it could easily just be moved to the left when you open the filter, instead of having to toggle the panel to access the button.

I think that’s everything for now. None of this stuff is making the game unplayable for me, but it is making it significantly more annoying than I’d like. I dunno, maybe it’s because I'm too used to the FM12 interface after the ridiculous amount of time I put into that game (like, 900+ hours… I’m not proud of that), but there’s so many changes here that feel like a step backwards; changes made for the sake of freshening up a UI that didn’t really need it. I don’t suppose much of this can or will be changed at this point, but hey, there's a feedback thread so I might as well use it.

• The action bar (I think that’s the right term) is way too small. Clicking and dragging the slider means you can’t clearly see anything on the bar underneath - http://i.imgur.com/62Lhj.png - there’s a goal icon under there, but you can’t see it and that’s even without the cursor showing up in the screengrab. Again, maybe not a huge problem, but it’s a detail that doesn’t seem to have been shown the necessary attention. It’s something that’s annoyed me so far because of a bug I’ve seen where clicking on a link to view a goal occasionally starts the playback from the moment immediately after the ball has gone in, meaning I have to click and drag the fiddly little slider into the right place.
  • The re-ordered tone categories in the team talks. Not really a huge issue and it’s something I can get used to, but it seems a superfluous change.
  • The general shuffling of the buttons and links on all pages. I wish so much stuff hadn’t been moved from the left to the right of the screen. I can’t remember an FM game where things like the overview or news buttons weren’t left of centre, and now they’ve been moved. The eye is naturally drawn to the top left of a screen (and I’m not just talking about FM there), so moving useful things like that to the other side feels counter-intuitive. As well as that, these buttons are now too close to the ‘Continue’ button and I find myself having to take care to not accidentally click on with the game when I'm trying to look at a player's history. The whole ‘mouse over to reveal more menus’ thing is something that has always annoyed me as well, no matter where it’s been used.
  • I miss the tabs design. Sure, it may work essentially the same way now, but tabs are great, that’s why they get used so much.
  • I miss the static search box. Sure, I like the scroll menus that are part of the new search mechanic, but wasn't there any way we could have both?
  • Tactics and squad pages – the dark grey background for player rows doesn’t work for me. The field behind those areas is white, so it makes players who aren’t selected in the squad stand out more than players who are selected. It’s just too much of a contrast for my liking.
  • The tactics page specifically – opening the positions filter hides the ‘Ask To Pick’ button. Seems like it could easily just be moved to the left when you open the filter, instead of having to toggle the panel to access the button.

I'll second all of these, especially the bolded bit about the timeline. I've no idea why it has to be so slim.

Any idea why despite loading the players from all the top division clubs in Europe, German clubs don't have any youth players? Every other club in Europe has a full youth club, but in Germany they're all greyed out players.

Screenshot2012-10-21at12341PM.png

Screenshot2012-10-21at12436PM.png

Bug? Or intentional?

• I’m trying to get by with the ‘split’ version of the pitch view, with the match action on the left and my team’s ratings on the right. This is better than the ‘full’ view, which I really don’t like – I don’t need the pitch to be that big and the small pop up box in the middle of the screen displaying player ratings just doesn’t work for me. Still, I have a problem with the split view – I manually re-size the panels so the pitch takes up the larger space (screenshot), but after half time and tactics changes, the panels automatically reset themselves to be equal in size. That leaves the pitch too small and the ratings panel way too big, a really inefficient use of screen space. Not a serious problem, but a nagging thing when I have to re-size them multiple times a game.....

JayArr...I might be barking up wrong tree, and not sure if it solves your problem or makes things easier, but have you tried clicking the little screen icon at the bottom right of the match screen (there's two icons down there)? It brings up the old little boxes (team ratings, stats, body language etc) that you can place on the screen where you like and doesn't get in the way so much of the actual match.

I struggled at first with the layout and as said you might be talking about a different thing (sunday morning wooley head here), but on noticing the two little icons bottom right of the screen cleared things up to look how it used on previous FMs.

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed you don't like watching match on full screen. Ignore my last. :D

The match engine is just making it a frustrating experience, it's like watching FIFA on easy mode, anyone with a whiff of pace runs down the wing, with your defenders just running alongside and then they float a cross to the back post which goes past your static centre backs and goalkeeper and usually the other winger puts it into an empty net. Set Pieces are the same, the ball goes like a foot in front of your keeper but he doesn't move and the AI puts it in from like a yard.

Into my second season with Rangers.

£3.5M in the bank, more to come with ST sales yet the board are accepting ANY offer for my players and selling them, leaving me short.

Read about other Rangers careers (on a fan forum) with the same problem.

Please address this issue as it's hardly fair that I'm losing my young talent for £15k/£20k a pop.

ME makes beta completely unplayable. Player don't seem to tackle, every goal is either from set piece or back post cross while defenders are just watching the game from the best seats. SI really need to work their ass off if they want full version to be playable.

I just scored a pretty clear goal, that was awarded as a goal kick. My winger was fed through down the left side, shot across goal beating the keeper, hitting the post and bouncing into the back of the net. Then the referee blew for a goal kick!

I've also had a few goals which have burst through the net. And my St Neots strikers aren't exactly hitting the ball like Roberto Carlos!

Not sure if this is a known issue but i'd be happy to give more info if required.

Have to admit I didn't even realise the timeline bar was there initially...I thought that little blue line was some graphical problem at first.

I've only played a few friendlies so far on a Newcastle save and early impressions are that I rather like the new look and my game seems to be processing faster than a similar size of save on FM12. As far as the matches go I've only played 5 friendlies away in China, with 4 wins and 1 draw, there doesn't seem to be any massive issue with the crossing so far, but like I say it's only 5 matches in and they weren't against the greatest opposition.

I have had a couple of error messages flash up when going to the Team Selection page before my first match (a parsing error and an invalid token message I think) but they didn't seem to crash the game or anything or cause any noticeable issue, and both came after I reloaded my save after my PC crashed due to some graphic issue caused by my web browser. I'll try and remember to grab some screenshots if I get any more error messages tonight though.

How much say do I have on incoming transfer bids though? The board have seemingly accepted 2 rather derisory bids for Adam Campbell, one of the more talented youth team players' from Man Utd and Spurs. The bids are just £625,000 upfront and a couple of tiny additional clauses, but I've no option to reject them in the transfer centre and was basically informed that contract talks had started between the player and the 2 clubs, didn't even get a message saying that the board felt the offers were too good to turn down.

Anyone else think the in-match assitant advice pop ups need to stay there for longer? Sometimes, when i'm engrossed in the match, I'll notice something has popped up in the corner, but by the time i've looked over, it's sometimes gone again by the time i'm half way through reading it.

Personally, I think about 10 seconds would be more helpful.

In my save, Liverpool bought in a striker called Mphela...His stats look like Mid Championship quality...Once again, AI squad building is a joke :/

SI, this is one of the most crucial aspects IMO...

Don't you read these posts..

Anyone else think the in-match assitant advice pop ups need to stay there for longer? Sometimes, when i'm engrossed in the match, I'll notice something has popped up in the corner, but by the time i've looked over, it's sometimes gone again by the time i'm half way through reading it.

Personally, I think about 10 seconds would be more helpful.

I thought in one of the video blogs it showed that you could set the time that the pop ups displayed for ?

From playing the game for the first time this morning, I can't get used to all these changes SI have made with the interface/ some of the screens.

I've never liked the white style skin, ever since they introduced it with FM08.. so to not have another skin is abit poor.

But if SI don't have enough staff, or time to do it, or don't feel it's necessary for them to create another skin, because they know some players in the community will create a new skin themselves for free.. then I guess that's just how it goes. (CM's were always darker styled skins, and even the retro style skins up untill FM07 were nice too.. I really don't like the plain white i-tunes style skin, I find it hard on my eyes to take in all the information)

I hate the fact that SI change the interface/look of the game every year. (it was never changed so much back under Championship Manager) maybe it's just me, or human nature to hate change.

It's still the same great database, fantastic depth and ability to change things with an editor etc. But they are slowly changing the look of the game I fell in love with. (removed the side bar in 2009, changing the screens to bubbled profile screens in 2011 and more in 2012)

I know SI are probably looking to freshen up the look of the game, to attract new/ modern players to increase revenue.. and probably so it looks like a new game when people purchase it year on year. As I said it's probably just human nature, I noticed that if new players playing FM for the first time.. will say the skin looks great and will love it.

But then in a couple of years, ask them again and they will hate the new look Skin/ user interface and reminisce about the look and feel of the game from 2 years ago.

You can ask the newer newcomers to the game in 2 years time and they will say they love it, and the circle keeps on repeating..

But I do feel it's losing the look of the game I fell in love with over a decade ago. If I showed it to one of my friends who stay plays CM03/04 to this day.. he would probably hardly recognise the game. (apart from the players attribute screen with the 1-20.. but I fear it won't be long before SI change the attribute numbers too, to something like 1-100)

I know the game is still great and the best one out there (most other games of this type have since died off, because there are that many people, like me, who just stick to this one from the first moment they play it) There used to have loads of manager games flying about for the playstation and pc, from FA Manager, LMA Manager to Premier Manager.

I don't like how they are slowly but surely changing the look of the game every year, it's funny that just how something look's can dampen your joy.. even though it's still a great game. I really do not like the players new look bubble style 'information' screen (the one with their place of birth/Nationality/ favoured clubs) but there is no way to change it back to the old style.

(I'm playing on the main game, not FM classic)

I also can't find the 'auto assign' button when I employ new staff? On past FM's, after I have signed a new coach, I would click the 'auto assign' button, and my stars would change (improve or decrease) so I'm guessing this has been removed..

does anyone have the feeling that all teams are equal. it seems it doesn't have any difference wheter you play barcelona or gijon..you can destroy barcelona 3-0 and then next game you can be destroyed against gijon..this is ridicilous. what ever you do tactic wise seems not to work..i tried about 5 different tactics and it's always the same. you never know how the game will play out, you can play against some minnows at home and not be able to count on sure victory and that's with playing as real madrid ffs..this new ME is really really bad.

During a match, I use key highlights and a split view screen - 1 side the pitch, 1 side stats. I can make the pitch bigger so it takes up 75% of the screen, which is perfect. But it never stays that way, i have to drag it back every single time.

Is this a known thing? Anyone else experience something similar?

Archived