*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

Enjoying the deadline day feature, but bemused to see Elliott Bennett is being rumoured to sign for Everton for £200 million, I'll drive him there myself for £200M.

Have to add my concerns about the match engine going a step backwards this year, especially the comment further up about goals from crosses due to the strange positioning of the full backs.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing through it and here are my issues:

1) Whenever it says to hold meeting with staff it always shows a blank screen when I click it, they surely can't ever have advice.

2) When you click on the stars on the top left of a player profile screen, it goes to the report of the player you previously looked at, NOT at the actual players report.

3) Whenever you click the news button on the top bar, it just feels SO laggy, but the rest of the game feels fast. It's really annoying when you always have to click the inbox button and it takes like 2 secs to go to your inbox. (Yes I'm anal)

4) Spacebar doesn't always work- for I don't really mind this all that much.

Apart from that I can't really find any other bugs and the game has been quite stable.

Just a quick question, how to I make the screen show both team names and the score like on old versions when the match is being generated in between highlights? All I can see is the pitch, with no action but cannot find the option to change this view/screen in between highlights...

Thanks.

In my opinion the match engine is certainly not "broken". I am playing as Dagenham and Redbridge and the only major bug I have seen so far is that one of my goals sailed through the net. Are there too many goals from crosses? To be honest I really am not sure. Thus far have conceded 17 goals and only 3 of them have come from a cross in a wide area! I honestly think that in previous versions crossing was deeply flawed - I often finished games with a crossing success percentage of less that 10%. Are their a few problems? Sure, I think closing down could work a little more effectively. Other than that I have not seen any real problems. The movement of the AI is fantastic and the animations a big step up. Far and away the most realistic match engine yet.

Think I'm going to have to leave it to the 2nd. The ME is a mess (love how SI can accept there are problems with defending/crosses/full backs and you still get apologists claiming "not in my game" ) It's bewildering that they can take a fully working ME with Patch 3 of FM 20XX and between then and a new version manage to wreck it.

There is no way some of the stuff that's happening should have got through internal QA.

Are we playing an old version SI , or was this really your work up until 2 hours before it was released ?

Dont know if this is supposed to happen, in League One (MK Dons), sent my backup left back to my affiliate (Dag & Redbridge) in League Two for a month to get some playing time. And when he's been recalled back due to an injury I cant play him because he's unregistered. I'm pretty sure this is not how the loan system works!

I really cannot cope with the match engine now, it's in an appalling state.

- Headers are pointless, they very rarely get scored unless they are back post. Forget about scoring one when a player is running onto it from the penalty spot to inside the 6yard box.

- I haven't seen a single long shot goal in a season and a bit, either for or against me, which tbh is madness. Infact, long range shots either skew really wide and low or get spooned over the bar, no variety at all.

I could go on but i broke my spacebar after conceding yet another cross goal so i'm getting tired of going back to re-space words where the spacebar press didn't register :lol:

Those two statements are the exact opposite for me. I'm seeing so many header goals, and long shot goals, about half as more than in 12.

• Administrators
I hate to keep banging on about training but....

lawrencevigourouxovervi.jpg

Unhappy with his heavy workload. Yet I haven't set him to do anything.

In FM2012 we had this handy tab, where can I find the equivalent in FM2013?

martinolssontrainingove.jpg

Have you not already set the team something to do already (ie his scheduled overall training)? Have you cancelled rest days before and after matches?

• Administrators
Space Bar works fine for me to continue the game so it cant be an issue for everybody.

It's an intermittent issue related to using the 'search' bar. We're aware of it and looking into it.

• Administrators

We're very much aware of an issue related to too many goals, far post crosses and defending balls into the box. As we've always said this is very much a 'work-in progress' and we'll be taking steps to address these issues prior to release.

As you're probably aware the match engine is a very difficult area of the game to get exactly right in terms of overall balance, but we do very much appreciate all the feedback we've had so far. As always if you have specific examples then please do raise them on the match engine bugs forum for us. That can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/296-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Many thanks.

• Administrators
Is there a better place to raise wee bugs you've found that probably aren't worthy of their own thread? I've mentioned one or two in here but I'd rather not detract from people actually discussing the game?

Every bug, no matter how small is worth it's own thread. :) Please raise them on the bugs forum if you would - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/291

Thanks.

I'm personally conceding a lot of goals via the crossing issue as mentioned, but I'm struggling to get many goals scored myself. My players often just decide to have a long shot, which trundles past the post, or just turn around and pass the ball back to the halfway line.

The beta is an exercise in frustration, but everything else seems to work well. Glad I'm only really using this save to test things out

Have you not already set the team something to do already (ie his scheduled overall training)? Have you cancelled rest days before and after matches?

I had no rest after a match, 0% match preparation and high general training.

I've changed it to allow rest before and after a match, 0% match preparation and very low general training. I've also put him on the correct schedule just to see what effect it has and he's still unhappy.

This is one of my points about training. It feels like I have less control, It's hard to see what's going on behind the scenes regarding training.

I know a few people have raised concerns about training. Can I ask if it is "under review" at all? Or is this training system definitely going to be in the full release?

My game has just inexplicably frozen in FMC mode. I can't click on anything so am stuck looking at Tottenhams league positions over the course of the season so far. Any ideas? Or am I going to have to crash the game to continue?

EDIT: I can occassionally click on things and have somehow managed to view both QPR's and Fulham's squads (not sure how as I've not clicked on any links to those pages). When on those pages I clicked on John Arne Riise and then went back to Spurs league positions again. Still can't click continue, however, or open my mail.

Can we undo substitutions in the "make substitution" dialogue please? Ii can be annoying in friendly when the interface subs the wrong person on the 7th sub, meaning you need to cancel and do it all over again.

• Administrators
I had no rest after a match, 0% match preparation and high general training.

I've changed it to allow rest before and after a match, 0% match preparation and very low general training. I've also put him on the correct schedule just to see what effect it has and he's still unhappy.

This is one of my points about training. It feels like I have less control, It's hard to see what's going on behind the scenes regarding training.

I know a few people have raised concerns about training. Can I ask if it is "under review" at all? Or is this training system definitely going to be in the full release?

His overall workload has dropped so I would imagine he will become happy again after training for a few days. If that doesn't happen it's a happiness issue which if you can we'd appreciate you raising on the bugs forum - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/291-Football-Manager-2013-Pre-Release-Beta-Bugs-Forum

The training system will certainly not be changing dramatically between now and release. There may be a tweak depending if any serious issues are raised, but this is how training is for FM13.

• Administrators
My game has just inexplicably frozen in FMC mode. I can't click on anything so am stuck looking at Tottenhams league positions over the course of the season so far. Any ideas? Or am I going to have to crash the game to continue?

EDIT: I can occassionally click on things and have somehow managed to view both QPR's and Fulham's squads (not sure how as I've not clicked on any links to those pages). When on those pages I clicked on John Arne Riise and then went back to Spurs league positions again. Still can't click continue, however, or open my mail.

Please try switching Rendering mode. This can be done in the preferences under 'Interface -> Interface Rendering Mode.'

Change from GPU Assisted to Software.

If you cannot access your preferences you can do this by pressing:

ALT + SHIFT + F10 all at the same time.

Let me know if this helps at all. Thanks.

I couldn't get to that page what with not being able to click on anything (quick keys weren't working either). So I've rebooted the game now and will keep you informed as to whether I encounter any more issues.

Having said that I can immediately notice that the interface feels much more snappy having changed it to "software" and much more responsive than before.

Ive noticed goals that are going well wide seems to be given as goals? , also shots that go well wide are sometimes saved by the keeper even though the keeper should let it go behind for a gk

seems like the dimensions are off a little?

playing in 2d classic view.

Here is another thing. I understand if i set my experience level to sunday league, the players at a top club may be a bit unhappy with a n00b being put in charge. However in past FM's if you put it to professional/international/automatic the club players pretty much didn't give two hoots about you being a manager. In this version no matter what your experience is, at a top club the players take a huge dip in morale because they don't think you're good enough.

Is this a bug or just a change in the game this year?!

just got cheated out of a goal.

on the counter attack - jovetic runs to the byline, he crosses the ball into the box and mario gotze gets onto the end of it. he and hits it past the keeper and the ball hits the back of the net. just kidding!

"Storari does brilliantly to turn it round the post..." and gotze is now taking a corner kick. :applause:

http://i.imgur.com/i04Ik.jpg

also after sick of getting destroyed by cpu crosses i started messing around and set my own OIs: tight marking, closing down, show onto weaker foot for wingers and the same thing minus tight marking on fullbacks. i also set both my full backs to man marking and tight marking in the player instructions but i'm not sure if it's having much of an effect, too lazy to test it.

after using those OIs for around 15 games i stopped seeing crosses being spammed into my box while watching key/extended highlights. i used to have one of the highest amounts of goals conceded in the league (playing as arsenal) but after starting a new save with OIs i've conceded a lot less from crosses and managed to keep a few clean sheets and now i can somewhat bare to keep playing lmao

• Administrators
Here is another thing. I understand if i set my experience level to sunday league, the players at a top club may be a bit unhappy with a n00b being put in charge. However in past FM's if you put it to professional/international/automatic the club players pretty much didn't give two hoots about you being a manager. In this version no matter what your experience is, at a top club the players take a huge dip in morale because they don't think you're good enough.

Is this a bug or just a change in the game this year?!

Was a bug fixed in an update for FM12 - basically your starting game reputation was being set incorrectly. It's more 'realistic' in the sense now if you're a nobody at a higher profile club you'll have to earn the players respect before you can really make them run through walls for you.

The training system will certainly not be changing dramatically between now and release. There may be a tweak depending if any serious issues are raised, but this is how training is for FM13.

Well it just isn't clear at all to me what's going on.

Let's say I have scheduling at 10% match preparation. That leaves 90% to work on other training. If I set general training at Very Low, does that mean a player is doing 10% match prep, 10% general, 80% individual?

What if I set general training to attacking. Does that mean everyone including defenders and keepers are taking up 10% of their scheduled training learning attacking? How is this attacking training translated into attribute increases?

If I set someone's individual training to central defender, where can I see exactly what they are training? Does that central defender training include any kind of pace training for example?

Let's say I have a 16 year old with all decent attributes ( for a 16 year old) to be a great ball winning midfielder, with one exception. He is weak. I could set his individual training focus to strength for, let's say, 6 months. During that 6 months his training would be 10% match prep, 10% general and 80% strength training. He is doing nothing to improve his ability to be a ball winning midfielder. In FM2012, you could set his general training to be a midfielder (or more focused to be a bwm with a custom schedule) and on top of that training, get him to allocate a percentage of that scheduled training working on his strength. That is not possible with this system.

In real life players would all do match prep, defenders would do different training to strikers and within those defenders and strikers, there would be individual training for those that require it to allocate a portion of their time to strength or whatever they need. With this system, those working on strength are giving up their training as a defender or striker to just focus on strength. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry to drone on but that's the way I see it as it stands, unless I'm overlooking something major...

We're very much aware of an issue related to too many goals, far post crosses and defending balls into the box. As we've always said this is very much a 'work-in progress' and we'll be taking steps to address these issues prior to release.

As you're probably aware the match engine is a very difficult area of the game to get exactly right in terms of overall balance, but we do very much appreciate all the feedback we've had so far. As always if you have specific examples then please do raise them on the match engine bugs forum for us. That can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/296-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Many thanks.

Neil there is a problem with wingers scoring from crosses, saying that I really don't want to revert to FM12 when no crosses work. On the flip side of wingers scoring i'm still not seeing many goals from in front of the goal with bullet or diving headers from big strikers.

• Administrators
Neil there is a problem with wingers scoring from crosses, saying that I really don't want to revert to FM12 when no crosses work. On the flip side of wingers scoring i'm still not seeing many goals from in front of the goal with bullet or diving headers from big strikers.

Yeah that falls under the 'far post crosses' issue. Thanks for double checking though so we're definitely aware.

• Administrators
Are we going to have rolling updates on the BETA?

There are no plans to do so at this stage, but given how easy it potentially is to do via Steam I wouldn't totally rule it out. Thanks.

There are no plans to do so at this stage, but given how easy it potentially is to do via Steam I wouldn't totally rule it out. Thanks.

It seems absurd not to, because if you don't, you're hoping that all of the 'fixes' you make work perfectly for release. Surely it'd be better to keep patching the BETA as bugs will be reported much quicker.

just got cheated out of a goal.

on the counter attack - jovetic runs to the byline, he crosses the ball into the box and mario gotze gets onto the end of it. he and hits it past the keeper and the ball hits the back of the net. just kidding!

"Storari does brilliantly to turn it round the post..." and gotze is now taking a corner kick. :applause:

http://i.imgur.com/i04Ik.jpg

Dude, that is a legitimate bug, what are you doing here? Go post the saved match on the bugs forum! You can always export a match, it is not like asking you for your savegame from 2 months ago :)

Let's say I have scheduling at 10% match preparation. That leaves 90% to work on other training. If I set general training at Very Low, does that mean a player is doing 10% match prep, 10% general, 80% individual?

What if I set general training to attacking. Does that mean everyone including defenders and keepers are taking up 10% of their scheduled training learning attacking? How is this attacking training translated into attribute increases?

If I set someone's individual training to central defender, where can I see exactly what they are training? Does that central defender training include any kind of pace training for example?

Let's say I have a 16 year old with all decent attributes ( for a 16 year old) to be a great ball winning midfielder, with one exception. He is weak. I could set his individual training focus to strength for, let's say, 6 months. During that 6 months his training would be 10% match prep, 10% general and 80% strength training. He is doing nothing to improve his ability to be a ball winning midfielder. In FM2012, you could set his general training to be a midfielder (or more focused to be a bwm with a custom schedule) and on top of that training, get him to allocate a percentage of that scheduled training working on his strength. That is not possible with this system.

In real life players would all do match prep, defenders would do different training to strikers and within those defenders and strikers, there would be individual training for those that require it to allocate a portion of their time to strength or whatever they need. With this system, those working on strength are giving up their training as a defender or striker to just focus on strength. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry to drone on but that's the way I see it as it stands, unless I'm overlooking something major...

This was debated about back-and-forth in the thread that discussed the blog video on training. Essentially it looks like SI have tried to make training more streamlined, user-friendly and realistic. For a lot of people they've gone a little too far the other way so it could be that this is something that gets tweaked in future versions of FM. Hopefully.

Have to agree with that, but alas it doesn't seem like anything might change this version so will need to just crack on. There's always something 'new' in anything that the old way is preferred and this is it for me this time round. Not to complain (liking FM13 alot so far and refreshed my enthusiasm for the game), just the way it is. :D

I don't think the new training is that realistic. Setting the whole team to work on attacking feels like putting defenders' and the goalkeepers' attacking slider on high. Like getting them to train attacking one-on-ones every afternoon, which I doubt anyone does with their defense.

And about the UI - there should have been a way to set training focus for several players at once. For example 4 DC's on "Limited defender" with one click. Like we could put them on training schedule at once.

It seems absurd not to, because if you don't, you're hoping that all of the 'fixes' you make work perfectly for release. Surely it'd be better to keep patching the BETA as bugs will be reported much quicker.

As long as they are fixing the bugs, not sure its an issue to release fixes now or in two weeks. It's arguably easier to leave till release and launch in one patch in case of any balancing of code needed when patching one issue or another.

Archived