*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Central Defenders in the game have found some of their pace back that they lost in FM 12. Still agility is down heaps from the high days of FM 11. I think they reduced it last year (in pretty much every CB) to combat over successful attacking tactics that they couldnt get the AI to compete with. ME whilst improved in this area is terrible so far in every other defensive aspect. Role on Feb/March 2013 for final patch! Hard times ahead.

I quite like the game so far in terms of playing it. My last version was FM11 so there's a lot different. The 3D engine is vastly improved. Defending is poor, but when hasn't it been? Tactics are still fairly easy to control. Transfer system is still decent. I like the DOF idea.

Not a huge fan of the UI. It's like SI have just tried to cram tons of information into every single screen. It's quite messy looking, kind of like an amateur project. Simple is better. It's ridiculous that the overview match screen is now filled with information. If I wanted tons of info I'd pick a screen that had that info, if I'm going to overview it's because I just want the basic information.

If you can supply match engine examples with PKMs and times of incidence in the Match Engine bugs forum that would be great :thup:

well if you just play let's say..5 matches in this game i bet that 90% of goals you see will be from crosess. and just catastrophic goalkeeping. i am just completely shocked that you guys did not notice this huge bug in ME. other than that, i really like the game but you just have to fix this issue cause it's breaking the whole expirience.

I really cannot cope with the match engine now, it's in an appalling state.

- Crosses are a 100% goal for the AI. #

- The only way to get the ball off the AI is when it goes out for a throw-in/goalkick or they shoot. Your team never ever close down or tackle, they just stand about until the AI have a shot, it's beyond ridiculous.

- Attacking through the middle is utterly useless.

- Way too many OG's, especially for goalkeeper.

- Too many disallowed goals.

- Players in good positions turn back and pass backwards for no reason.

- When losing in stoppage time your team seem quite happy to just pass it around the backline, it makes no sense whatsoever.

- Headers are pointless, they very rarely get scored unless they are back post. Forget about scoring one when a player is running onto it from the penalty spot to inside the 6yard box.

- Corners never get scored.

- Freekicks never get scored.

- I haven't seen a single long shot goal in a season and a bit, either for or against me, which tbh is madness. Infact, long range shots either skew really wide and low or get spooned over the bar, no variety at all.

I could go on but i broke my spacebar after conceding yet another cross goal so i'm getting tired of going back to re-space words where the spacebar press didn't register :lol:

I have a good PC (GTX 670, i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, Samsung SSD, etc), but I've noticed that the game becomes sluggish as an individual match progresses, i.e. I begin to see a drop in fps and some general stuttering as I get closer to the final whistle.

Also, I really hope we can eventually click on an old score/game in the fixtures list and see data without the need for the generation of a full match report. Why was the change implemented for this version of FM? What was the reasoning behind calling up a full match report in place of having rapid access to data that was easily accessed in previous versions of FM?

I agree with the poster above regarding his or her comment about the amount of clutter in the UI. It really is overwhelming and causes sensory overload. There's just too much data on screen at any given moment for a non-savant to cope well with. What's worse is that, despite the overabundance of information, the UI isn't intuitive and easy to navigate with.

Just started a career game as an unemployed Sunday Leaguer, with my first job at Frigg in the lowest Norwegian league.

Match engine is holding up very well at this level with lots of variety in goal types. I've also noticed that my team are coping far better with opponent crosses and attacks now that they're properly organised and the weekly training has been fully tweaked.

Perhaps those struggling to negate AI tactics need to spend more time looking at the new methods within FM2013 rather than rely on what used to work on past games? The football I'm now seeing in the match engine looks far more realistic than anything I've experienced in previous FM games.

Just started a career game as an unemployed Sunday Leaguer, with my first job at Frigg in the lowest Norwegian league.

Match engine is holding up very well at this level with lots of variety in goal types. I've also noticed that my team are coping far better with opponent crosses and attacks now that they're properly organised and the weekly training has been fully tweaked.

Perhaps those struggling to negate AI tactics need to spend more time looking at the new methods within FM2013 rather than rely on what used to work on past games? The football I'm now seeing in the match engine looks far more realistic than anything I've experienced in previous FM games.

And we get to the usual "it's you tactics" nonsense.

It's already been established by SI that crossing/fullbacks is a real issue.

But it isnt happening everyone thats the bizarre thing.

On an aside I've just seen screens from a friends game who has this kind of thing happen every game: 02E4EFBFF8EE5C60C2589CCCEA97E4194891686C

His centre backs take it upon themselves to launch long passes for no reason whatsover. This has happened in 7 separate games (think he as created a bug thread for it now, but not sure) Any one else noticed this? Ive not had this happen in my games at all, so just seeing if anyone else has.

• Administrators

Please don't dismiss other peoples opinions as 'nonsense' because you don't agree with them.

Easy there tiger, I'm just offering my two pennies. Not dissing or deriding anyone else's experiences.

And if in fact you'd read my post you'd see I didn't specifically mention tactics at all. I'm putting down my success to training and match prep based on playing around with a few different saves.

Of course things aren't going to be quite right with the game yet: it's called the Beta for a reason. I'm just suggesting that there may be ways of getting some decent gaming out of it in its current state.

But clearly hammering blind rage into an innocent keyboard is more fun than constructive discussion, yeah? Great stuff. Enjoy your night.

Somehow, I managed to sign Nacer Chadli on a free in the first January transfer window (for Fiorentina). Instead of joining at the end of the season when his contract was up as normal, he came straight into my squad in January. Before I could appreciate this bug, I then noticed the little 'Trn' icon, looked at his profile to find he is joining Parma at the end of the season! So I have the pleasure of signing Chadli for 6 months, presumably with FC Twente still paying his wages for the end of his contract. The guy needs to make up his mind. I realise this touching story is also a bug of course, unless he really does love welching on contracts and travelling Italy....

Easy there tiger, I'm just offering my two pennies. Not dissing or deriding anyone else's experiences.

And if in fact you'd read my post you'd see I didn't specifically mention tactics at all. I'm putting down my success to training and match prep based on playing around with a few different saves.

Of course things aren't going to be quite right with the game yet: it's called the Beta for a reason. I'm just suggesting that there may be ways of getting some decent gaming out of it in its current state.

But clearly hammering blind rage into an innocent keyboard is more fun than constructive discussion, yeah? Great stuff. Enjoy your night.

"Perhaps those struggling to negate AI tactics need to spend more time looking at the new methods within FM2013 rather than rely on what used to work on past games? "

That clearly insinuates that you think we should play around with tactics until we get the desired result. Very clearly, so don't even try to say you never implied it.

And i know it's a beta, but that doesn't excuse the massive problems with the ME. It doesn't make any sense how bugs like these can get through unchecked/unfixed/unnoticed.....whatever this late in the games development cycle.

And what's not constructive about making a list of problems? If fullbacks refuse to tackle wide men letting them get crosses in then that's all that needs to be said, short of uploading PKM after PKM there is nothing more constructive that can be said on that issue. Unless of course you have a PHD in computer programming and a working knowledge of the current ME's code, then maybe you could offer them an exact fix.

If anything your post was less constructive than mine's,all you said was how well your team is playing and how we should all take a leaf out of your book and sort our tactics out.

@Neil - Really? You think that was well said? I guess you would rather not read people concerns about the game then.

Crosses at the back post. Every game with more than 1 goal there's atleast one at the back post. The back is not doing his job. Also, there's alot of 100% chances occuring at the back post EVERY game, eg free header like 2 or 3 times a match were the striker/winger amazingly heads over/at the crossbar. Both of these are a bug imo.

Since I didn't get FM12 I'd been looking forward to this coming out for months, but after a day of playing the BETA I've already lost any motivation to try it again until full release. I really hope that's enough time for a huge improvement, because the behaviour of my players is horrendously frustrating.

One incident pretty much summed up everything I hate about the match engine. An opposition player has the ball a few yards outside my box on the wing and just stands still for 10 seconds under absolutely no pressure. One of my full backs is content to stand there and watch whilst my winger just sits upfield waiting for something to happen rather than get back and cover despite me setting his closing down to 'whole pitch'. The entire time this is happening I can see another opposition player waiting at the back post unmarked, but in the end this winger decided to take a ridiculous shot rather than roll it across for his team-mate to tap into an empty net. You know something's wrong when the actions of your opponents are winding you up just as much as your own players. At least my keeper saved it this time, last time a ball slowly bobbled near him he seemed to forget how to use his limbs allowing for their striker to practically walk it in.

Done with this game until a patch has been released..

There is a huge problem with defending crosses.. it really breaks the game.

I somewhat agree, crosses are deadly. Wingers seem to bomb past fullbacks then the ball goes flying across the box with inevitably two/three opposition charging in to tap it in. I am also seeing a LOT of rebounds being scored.

After 15 hours of playing, i have to say i feel like it's too easy to score/concede, not just for my team but every team, i am winning 4-0, i am losing 4-0, other teams are winning 5-2 and losing 3-0 etc...

Maybe it's a one off or something but i can't help but feel that something is wrong here. Apart from this, i am absolutely loving the game so far.

Anyone else find it incredibly hard to keep players condition at a good level with midweek games?

If you have no problems with fitness, could you give some advice on how to setup training so players can get through a week and play on weekends as well as midweek?

So far I have set my training during these periods to low and give them a rest after each game.

Would be nice to get some input on how you guys get the most games out of your players.

So far it's been okay. Good to get a new version of FM to play.

My main gripe is the defending is absolutely horrible in the match engine and this is not just limited to me. It's for the AI as well.

Players not tracking the player or ignoring the ball when it comes near their area. I had one game where a cross was coming in and a defender was running back facing goal and the ball was basically behind him. When the opponent shot he was still facing the goal.. :/ basically right in front of the goal.

ok my take on the game as it stands. Firstly i am enjoying it a lot. I was not enjoying it to start with but you find a way to get round the bugs..

Short passing does not work at all. you will struggle against every team you play and each game is a grind even when playing as a top team v a bottom team.

So i have changed from that style and found some success alternating between counter attack and attacking styles with balanced passing.

Having said that it is by no means easy but is very rewarding to win games.

As has already been pointed out most goals seem to be scored against you from crosses to the far post where inevitably an opposing player will score. many goals are scored from incredibly tight angles and it is a surprise when they miss from these positions. This needs to change for the final release as it will kill the ME if it stays like this.

However the ME is very good apart from these bugs and i am sure that just as in previous years SI will get the bugs and balance ironed out and the final ME will be great.

I do feel a little overwhelmed with all the information available to me and the possibilities of the game but as i get more used to it and play around with it i am enjoying it more and more.

thanks to SI for releasing the BETA for us all to test it out early. I am sure the long term benefits will be huge.

the feedback from the user forum must be shocking for SI.

have the feeling that this football managers lifetime is over.

producing an updated version every year will lead to a debacle.

a new UI there, an animation in the match engine there ... improving the worse match engine.

what about the woodwork issue? far too much in previous versions.

what about the corner bug? are there still too much goals from defenders?

what about the poor defending? now all the goals come from crosses?

most of the customers want this issues fixed.

ok its a beta. but those customers who think this crossing issue can be solved easily and has no effect on other parts of the game (ex. far too few goals) are credulous.

i will download the demo and try.

but i will not buy the beta.

i am too old to test the game for SI for free.

I can understand that every player you sign isn't going to be cheaper than / same as their value, but SI haven't understood transfer amounts still.

Why is it every year they add a ton of new features yet don't change the transfer amounts that clubs accept. Why is it you ALWAYS have to pay over the odds for players apart from the odd bargains which play in rubbish leagues or have release clauses?????

It really does take the fun out of the game; the transfer market is unbelievably small year-on-year and player values are always sky high before you even put in a bid with a couple mill extra.

Lee Chung- Young for Bolton for example - £9m!!!!!! And thats before you have to put on an extra few mill.

Why add features in when the transfer market isn't expansive enough to allow you to buy cheap players once in a while e.g. players from another PL club????????

The defending in the match engine is so bad it's laughable!

I was going to ask how on earth you failed to notice 9/10 goals coming from crosses to the far post because fullbacks run away from their man but remembered Miles' comments in his FMC videos that the team don't have time to play Football Manager any more, it shows!

the feedback from the user forum must be shocking for SI.

have the feeling that this football managers lifetime is over.

producing an updated version every year will lead to a debacle.

a new UI there, an animation in the match engine there ... improving the worse match engine.

what about the woodwork issue? far too much in previous versions.

what about the corner bug? are there still too much goals from defenders?

what about the poor defending? now all the goals come from crosses?

most of the customers want this issues fixed.

ok its a beta. but those customers who think this crossing issue can be solved easily and has no effect on other parts of the game (ex. far too few goals) are credulous.

i will download the demo and try.

but i will not buy the beta.

i am too old to test the game for SI for free.

Pewa every year there is stuff like this and it gets fixed. dont get all worked up.

I really have to say this years match engine is a huge step backwards.

I'm not saying this because I'm a frustrated player who can't win a game, it's quite the opposite.

The FM13 match engine is so easy to exploit it's really sad and all it takes to exploit the weakness of this ME is fast wingers and counter attacking activated.

Don't believe me?

Have a look at my main winger stats.

G. Bale: 19 games (17 starts), 11 goals, 7 ass

Nani: 18 games (11 starts), 9 goals, 10 ass

Valencia and Young aren't doing too shabby either.

Atm it's super easy to score if you have two very good and fast wingers, they destroy most defenses with ease and it's basically always the same routine.

Winger A crosses to the far post where winger b is totally alone and either hits the post from 1 meter away or scores.

Oh yeah and the unmarked player at the near post with corners, he is still unmarked a lot of times, so only a matter of time until someone finds the corner routine that will give loads of goals from near post corners.

I have to say.. I've never failed to get an installment of FM or even questioned it, but frankly, if the exploits haven't been fixed after SI having years to fix them after so much exposure, there is something really wrong with their development plan and I'll be giving it a miss...

I can't deal with another year of defenders getting 30 goals, wingers getting 60-70 assists a season and defenders failing in the simplest of tasks... and I can't deal with anyone affiliated with the game or the forums just brushing it off and saying 'well just don't use them?' ... which is akin to a developer finding an exploit in their banking software and just brushing it off and telling people not to use it.... just awful...

ahh well, fingers crossed

The defending in the match engine is so bad it's laughable!

I was going to ask how on earth you failed to notice 9/10 goals coming from crosses to the far post because fullbacks run away from their man but remembered Miles' comments in his FMC videos that the team don't have time to play Football Manager any more, it shows!

It is strange isn't it. How can so many obvious flaws go unnoticed in the match engine. In the lastest Pod Cast Miles said he was into his 4th or 5th season with Watford. How can he play that long with all these problems? I am hoping that maybe the match engine we are playing with is actually a quite old version, and it has already been updated numerous times at Sigames. I remember in FM 2011 all the French players returned from the World Cup with suspensions that stopped them playing in pre-season games. It was a bug and I remember thinking how could all the testers not notice that before it was released. And that was in the release day version! Same stuff this year with the match engine. It's hard to comprehend how some things don't get picked up, yet they managed to create a whole new game style in FMC.

I guess the one thing I wonder about most is, when did work on FM 2012 stop, and FM 2013 begin? It seems like it wasn't that long ago.

I love new passing statistic it's more realistic (number of passes). But sometimes maybe too much, cut down for about 25% would be more realistic.

I agree with other about poor defending, throw in, near post corners, bad keeper, crossing... Btw nice article about that: Do the ‘crossing’ teams score more goals?

Still getting used to new tactic panel, and training.

ME is definitely more complex, and it is big step forward. When you, and if you resolve this beta issues, this game will be amazing!

Keep up the good work!

I really cannot cope with the match engine now, it's in an appalling state.

- Crosses are a 100% goal for the AI. #

Not in my game.. I rarely concede from crosses at all actually..

- The only way to get the ball off the AI is when it goes out for a throw-in/goalkick or they shoot. Your team never ever close down or tackle, they just stand about until the AI have a shot, it's beyond ridiculous.

My team seems to be able to intercept passes and tackle the ball just fine from opposition

- Attacking through the middle is utterly useless.

Its your tactics ;)

- Way too many OG's, especially for goalkeeper.

I've had 1 OG in 16 games.. doesnt seem "way too many" for me

- Too many disallowed goals.

This I might agree on.. I had 4 goals disallowed in ONE game.. all from same player.. and had lots of other disallowed goals in other games too

- Players in good positions turn back and pass backwards for no reason.

- When losing in stoppage time your team seem quite happy to just pass it around the backline, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Agreed

- Headers are pointless, they very rarely get scored unless they are back post. Forget about scoring one when a player is running onto it from the penalty spot to inside the 6yard box.

In my game headers (from my team) seem to hit crossbar a bit too often, but I also get a few goals this way

- Corners never get scored.

Not true in my game

- Freekicks never get scored.

Not true in my game either .. but seems to be quite rare..

- I haven't seen a single long shot goal in a season and a bit, either for or against me, which tbh is madness. Infact, long range shots either skew really wide and low or get spooned over the bar, no variety at all.

TBH alot of my goals come from longshots

I could go on but i broke my spacebar after conceding yet another cross goal so i'm getting tired of going back to re-space words where the spacebar press didn't register :lol:

IMO this is the best match engine in the history of FM/CM.. there are some issues, but in general it is fantastic IMO :)

I set up my training schedules for my under 18 team for pre season on the training calender and every time i go back to it, it has been reset?, i have tried searching to see if i have missed an option (tick box) to see if my youth coach is controlling it, but cannot find one?, also noticed my 1st team schedules reset sometimes, anyone else found this?, or am i missing a staff button to overide him controlling it?.

Just like to say after two solid evenings of play, I am absolutely loving it. Match engine flows nicely, no abvious flows or exploits, good variety of goals being scored, players seem to respond better in terms of tactics and defending, Gui is nice and user friendly after finding where everything is and all in all the game feels much more immersive.

At the age of 32 I feel like a kid again I am enjoying it so much and sitting proudly mid tablle with my Corby Town side lol

Fantastic job SI

Downloaded the Beta in 20 minutes, installed smoothly and quickly and loving the game itself.

Can't say I've noticed any major problems with the game to be honest. Maybe I'm just lucky? The skin is not great but I can't understand how anyone would say it's game breaking. Sure, there's a few too many goals from crosses but surely SI will fix it in time for the release. Thumbs up from me!

The game looks and feel marvellous! But this thread is about helping the developers to find flaws, so here goes:

In my tens games so far I have noticed the following:

- I have had two red cards for players trying to reach the ball and score in the opposition area (McClean and Fletcher) which I have never seen IRL.

- I concede and score way too many crosses

- When a players shoots, all players stop and wait which doesnt make sens when the ball hits the post or is rebunded by the goalkeeper and no one is there to go for the rebound.

- The ball goes through the net on sometimes and once it got stuck on the post.

- Playing windowed mode on my big Asus screen gives me headaches as the font is so small. I dont really wanna change the re****ion of my computer everytime I play as I tab between progams while playing etc etc.

-It looks like the players are "skating" and not running on the pitch, escecially when on the ball.

Archived