Can you just pick up the game and play?

This is one of the things that frustrates me most about FM, once I have a game going I can pick up and play whenever I like.

However, when starting a new game etc I feel like I have to be in the right mind frame and have enough time to play pre season etc, I also feel it needs alot of planning with things such as tactics, staff and remembering all of the little tips you've seen on the forums and whatnot.

Do you feel it takes time to start a new save off properly? Or just me :o

This is one of the things that frustrates me most about FM, once I have a game going I can pick up and play whenever I like.

However, when starting a new game etc I feel like I have to be in the right mind frame and have enough time to play pre season etc, I also feel it needs alot of planning with things such as tactics, staff and remembering all of the little tips you've seen on the forums and whatnot.

Do you feel it takes time to start a new save off properly? Or just me :o

I'm the same. Starting a new save is like starting off on a bike in top gear - hard work and very slow. But after the first season ends, you end up with a momentum that's enjoyable. The first season, due to getting everything set up (tactics, players, form) is always the worst.

For me a new save always take ages to sort everything out before the game really gets going, but I don't see it as a problem. It depends on each person though. Some people might just pick their tactics and first team and press continue!

Not really. There are some very good (and not so good) tips on these boards, but there's nothing wrong with making a tactic in the TC with the pre-defined roles, following your backroom staff's initial suggestions, and gradually ease into the micro-management as you familiarize yourself with the team over time. Pre-season is just a time of experimentation for me where it's fine to try things out so that I feel I've got everything under fairly good control for prime-time.

I guess some people go crazy and switch up the entire staff, rearranging scout and training assignments, make new schedules, set up new friendlies, tinker with precise tactical instructions, pester their board, call their rival manager a w***er... which is all fine, but you definitely can just pick up and play.

I'm the same. Starting a new save is like starting off on a bike in top gear - hard work and very slow. But after the first season ends, you end up with a momentum that's enjoyable. The first season, due to getting everything set up (tactics, players, form) is always the worst.

EXACTLY the same as me, I have to force myself to start lol, I have to plan absolutely everything in my head or else it will frustrate me and i'll quit!

For me the 1st season is the worst but once I get through that I really get into the swing of things. This is also probably why I like to stay with one team beacause I'd have to go through it all again with a new club.

I totally disagree!

I think the new start with a lowly club is the very best part of the game. Setting tactics, sorting training, finances, scouting, etc. in the first year is more fun than when playing some years later when the team seems to perform on automatic pilot & it all gets a bit tedious.

Funny how folk see things differently, eh?

I agree. I've had 3 good saves on this FM (I'll usually only play 1/2 decent long saves as I hate starting again) and my last one ended when I knocked my laptops power cable out whilst saving it and it turned off. I was in the 2020s and now can't start a new one. It's frustrating as I know once I get going then I won't stop but getting going is the hard part. I'm just waiting for FM13 now :p

I can pick up play FM most of the time, although I need to feel an attachement to the club I'm managing, I mean I couldn't just manage any old club and get right into it.

I have also only played with one team on FM12 and it's been one of my favourite saves for many a version.

Archived