Thoughts on Euro 2012 as a whole?

Baptista_8

It was a decent tournament, never felt it was ever particularly gripping and their was almost an inevitability about the winners. The knockout stages lacked a real classic game in the mould of a Brazil vs. France '86, Holland vs. Argentina '98 or even Italy vs. Germany '06 (a much more enthralling semi final than this year's which many pundits have picked as game of the tournament) - heck, almost any game from Euro 2000 too.

Pretty nondescript. Won't rank anywhere in the 'Which were the best international tournaments?' questions when it gets asked any time in the future. Seen worse/more boring competitions for sure, but Euro 2012 was nothing special.

Pretty nondescript. Won't rank anywhere in the 'Which were the best international tournaments?' questions when it gets asked any time in the future. Seen worse/more boring competitions for sure, but Euro 2012 was nothing special.

This :thup:

Bit underwhelmed for the most part. The whole of the knockout stage was forgettable, apart from the Germany-Italy semi and the final itself.

The group stage had some good individual games, and it was good in the sense that I think only Ireland and Sweden were out of it going into the final games. But then there wasn't a lot by way of real drama, and there weren't any teams coming through from behind in the third lot of matches. Shame Poland couldn't come through against the Czechs, would have made a great story and with home advantage maybe they could have got past Portugal as well.

Better than WC10, but then you're not really comparing like with like. Probably would rank it bottom out of the five 16-team Euro tournaments we've had since 96.

I didn't feel strongly, there was a huge divide in some games. France, Netherlands were very poor when it came to passion and chemistry. I feel 24 teams will dilute it even more, breeding more small teams playing with 11 men in their half.

Don't get me wrong I respect organisation from a tactical perspective but this tournament had some people poor performances from the "2nd tier" teams let alone 3rd 4th with regards to cohesion and ambition

It won't get near the top of any 'the best ..' lists but it was solid. Group stages were good.

What pleased me was that refs let a fair amount of physical contact go and players responded to this by just getting on with it. Imagine, eh? There was a lack of rolling about on the floor too, which was nice to see.

I agree about it missing that 'classic' match particularly in a 1/4 finals but Italy/Germany was good and I enjoyed Spain/Portugal for all the criticism it got

There was a lack of rolling about on the floor too, which was nice to see.

That's because Portugal and the Netherlands used up all of the rolling about in their match in the group stages. There was none left for anyone else after that.

Yes better in all areas than expected and the unexepcted events that occured

England getting through group for a starters (let alone topped it)

Russia beating czech 4-1 yet czech go through (and greece) and russians didnt.

Hollands collapse despite for me being joint 2nd fav's going into it (with Germany) hence Spain top.

Then Italy beating Germany in semi hence Ballotellis wonder game.

To finish off seeing a final of possibly one of best ever team displays and proving doubters wrong (boring spain) that they can do anything/everything that the game of football is all about.

Pretty decent, but not up there with my favourite tournaments of 94, 96, 98 and 00. The group stages were good as they were fairly competitive but a lot of the knockout matches were uninspiring.

Completely agree with these two posts. :thup:

To be honest, I thought it was a disappointing tournament as a whole. Very few stand out games or moments.

That's because Portugal and the Netherlands used up all of the rolling about in their match in the group stages. There was none left for anyone else after that.

I think their game was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be though, I expected about 100 times worse

Archived