Manchester United's 4-4-2 of 2007-2008

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team's tactical variety is definitely something I've been interested in and I'll keep following you closely.

Looking at how the team is structured, my starting game strategy (before signings) does end up being a RW/IL 4-4-2 style but I've definitely found it difficult to get the Nani/Young players to play as the IF. They certainly don't have the attributes to easily fit the system which means (imho) far more tinkering than say slotting Neymar into that role appears to need.

This is what I call a MINT post. Really well layed out and easy to follow, congrats Kevin! I am going to try and emulate this tactic with Legia Warsaw whom I just took over. I do not have the players to play it yet, and I will never have the technical players United can afford, but the league is of a lesser standard and Legia should be one of the favourites. I already made a new signing, Majewski, and I feel he can fill the IF position well, if not to the standard of Neymar obv. I also have 2 good DLP, and a good central IF, do not know the names yet since I literally took over yesterday before I ended the game. Will keep on following this thread!

• 3 weeks later...

The reason why Evra and Ronaldo could be so attacking down the left hand side is because when United lost the ball Rooney would close down the space on the left hand side and Tevez would also harry the opposition to win the ball back. It is also why United were so dangerous on the counter attack as you had a pressing trio of Rooney/Tevez/Hargreaves or Park, closing down while Ronaldo was left as an outlet and destroy teams on the counter at pace.

I can see this type of closing downing being a problem in FM, especially as you have Rooney in the AMCR slot which means he probably won't close down the left hand side, and leave you weak to counter attacks down that side, Rooney's closing down was also why he was placed on the left in games against bigger sides.

Have you found that to be a problem for your side?

What is the benefit of having Neymar "Ronaldo role" swapping with the AMC?

Back in the 07/08 United days, the three attacking players of United that spearheaded it's attack had very good understanding of one another, leading to a very fluid transition between several phases of attacking (building up, retaining possession, counter-attack, taking shots, etc). Thus, it wasn't always a surprise to see Ronaldo dribbling down the middle of the pitch with Rooney or Tevez on to his left and right respectively so that he could play them in. Heck, it was also Ronaldo's nature to just take it on goal wasn't it?!

Hence, I believe the swap is to increase unpredictability and it's solely possible because Ronaldo and Rooney are both players with flair and good ability on the ball. Just my 3-cents. On my save, I bought Moura instead of Neymar to test things out with this tactic and it's been working out pretty good so far (6 friendlies, 20+ goals, 0 conceded). I use an update so Kagawa is already at the squad.

The reason for this thread is to generate discussion rather than for uploading/downloading a tactic.

However, the main team and player instructions are outlined in the OP. :)

I did make a few changes though:

1. I changed the starting strategy to attacking and changed the tempo to default.
  2. I upped Evra's mentality to 15 so that he would look to overlap and get beyond Neymar. This helps out Neymar because Evra's overlapping runs act as a decoy and allow him to cut inside.
  3. I reduced the width by 2 notches.
  4. I upped Banega's mentality to 14 and his creative freedom to 16. This is because out of the two deep-lying playmakers, I want Banega to play slightly further up the pitch and to be allowed more freedom with his decision-making.
  5. I set closing down to "stand off more" as well as dropping the defensive line to 11. The reason for this is because I want to sit a little deeper and then launch a quick counter-attack.
  6. I ticked HUB for Rooney's role.
  7. I lowered Welbeck's mentality to 11 so that he would look to drop a little deeper from his forward role and then I upped his TTB to often so that he would look to play in runners.

Every other instruction I just left default. :)

Hi! First of all great work. I'm already try your guide in my pre-season so far. Looks very promising! You said you made changes, so my question is, what's HUB and TTB? Sorry for this but English is not my mother-tongue!

Hi! First of all great work. I'm already try your guide in my pre-season so far. Looks very promising! You said you made changes, so my question is, what's HUB and TTB? Sorry for this but English is not my mother-tongue!

HUB = Hold up ball

TTB = Try through balls

• 2 weeks later...
this was a very good read, thus tactic should work really well with rooney, van persie, kagawa and a few signings.

Which is exactly what's going to happen this season, although they still lack a "ronaldo" to pull it off spectacularly. I imagine that they will be more predictable with their goal threat more central. A side for more intricate passing moves.

Good thread by the way. It made me realize I have developed my preferred style of play quite a bit towards this ManU side. (Even playing outright 442 at times to my horror.)

Very fluid for philosophy, a solid ball playing double pivot in midfield, creative full backs, a bunch of versatile, intelligent players for the attacking unit of four. After the game has started I can completely change the way I attack by swapping player into each others' roles to exploit the weaknesses I perceive. I love it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely cracking thread, exactly what I have been looking for!

I'm currently using my team as follows;

Gk: DeGea (Sweeper Keeper)

Dr: Rafael/Jones (Full Back)

Dc: Smalling (Ball playing CB)

Dc: Vidic (centre half)

Dl: Evra (wingback)

Dcm: Carrick (deep lying playmaker)

Mcl: Cleverley/scholes (deep lying playmaker- more attacking)

Mr: Valencia (winger)

Aml: Rooney (inside forward -swapping positions with Kagawa)

Amcr: Kagawa (inside forward-as above)

Cf: RVP (complete forward)

I sometimes switch who I have Rooney swapping roles with between Kagawa and RVP.

Against tougher sides I will switch to a 451 with moving Valencia up to Amr and moving Kagawa back into mcr role with Jones/Fletcher coming into the side with an ball winning midfield role. When I do this I normally play Rooney/RVP/Nani as my front 3. I have Rooney left but swapping with RVP.

Against much weaker sides, I will play the following side;

Gk: DeGea (Sweeper Keeper)

Dr: Rafael/Jones (Full Back)

Dc: Smalling (Ball playing CB)

Dc: Vidic (centre half)

Dl: Evra (wingback)

Dcm: Carrick (deep lying playmaker)

Mcl: Kagawa (advanced playmaker)

Amr: Nani (winger)

Aml: Welbeck (inside forward -swapping positions with Nani)

Amcr: Rooney (inside forward-swapping with RVP)

Cf: RVP (complete forward)

I don't believe in using playmakers as I allows sides to focus on one of my players to try stop my team playing.

I play a control strategy, with all my attcking players having the highest creative freedom and free roles, I also have counter attcking ticked, it makes for some quick and exciting attacking play but also ensures that your side retains possession when an attack isn't a smart option

this was a very good read, thus tactic should work really well with rooney, van persie, kagawa and a few signings.

Yeah, the tactic could definitely be used with a fluid front three of Rooney, Kagawa and Van Persie. However, those three would play probably in an almost complete different style to that of the Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez trio. Those three were all about playing direct, attacking football and about catching the opposition out on quick counter-attacks.

This season, its been clearly evident that Kagawa has changed Utd into more of a short-passing, possession-based side. So far, Utd have played patiently against deep defences such as Everton and Fulham, and have looked to control possession in the opposition's half.

In FM the biggest differences between these two styles of play would be in mentality and tempo. A Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez trio would probably share a mentality and tempo of 15, whereas a Rooney-Kagawa-Van Persie trio would share a mentality and tempo of 10. They would probably also have more neutral player instructions such as RFD, RWB, TTB etc.

• 2 weeks later...
How are you getting on with this formation and would you change it at all with the arrivals of Van Persie and Kagawa?

I've stopped playing the save that had Neymar, however, I've been using the shape with Van Persie and Kagawa. I've only really altered the tactical settings of the front three to favour a more possession-based build up compared to the more counter-attacking set-up I had before,(Check the post above your last one). Those changes were about going more neutral i.e neutral mentalities, neutral player instructions etc, and to allow more creative freedom whilst lowering the team width and tempo.

Basically the plan is to allow Rooney, Kagawa and Van Persie to be fluid, close together and on the same wavelength so that the can use their flair and creativity to open up defences. With them three playing narrow and close together, I have Antonio Valenica playing a more orthodox winger role to add balance. He stays wide and gets crosses in.

The attacking so far has been great to watch. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Bump.

This is a top class thread and one of the reasons why this is my favourite part of the forum :)

Anybody had any luck replicating this in later versions? Looking for a new tactic for FM15 and this is exactly the way I aim to set up, fantastic side.

The attacking shape, especially for Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez, is almost impossible to make in FM as you can't get forwards to keep swapping positions and play with freedom in terms of their horizontal movement.

That being said, it's possible to get the basic framework. I'd say fluid and counter. They would sit deep and hit teams on the break and fluid would allow for the team to be split into attacking and defending units. You could add 'pass into space' and adjust the defensive line to be slightly higher than default.

In terms of formation, there isn't really one. They played 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1/4-3-3 throughout the season, depending on opposition. The key was flexibility, and the ability to adapt to opponents whilst always maximising the opportunities for Ronaldo to be the main goal scoring threat, for example, the Champions League final of 2008, when he started on the left to try and take advantage of Essien being picked at right back.

• 2 years later...

The pictures no longer work :thdn: does anyone remember the roles/duties and maybe TIs that were used? I realise the game has come a long way tactically but just looking for some inspiration 

From what I remember....and it was a while ago :)

GK

FB-A  CD  CD  WB-A

W-A  DLP-D  DLP-S

IF-A            IF-A

DLF-A

Back then you could use the IF role in the middle, these days you'd swap it for SS.

The middle IF-A was positioned behind the right side forward position and the DLF-A was positioned in the left forward position.

Unfortunately I don't recall which team instructions were used.

Thanks... I'm trying (failing) to recreate this system for fm17 as the match engine has significantly. I don't think you could get away with six (SIX) attacking duties in the current match engine, especially with playmakers in the centre and double attacking flanks. Thanks though, it does give me a rough template to work from.

27 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Thanks... I'm trying (failing) to recreate this system for fm17 as the match engine has significantly. I don't think you could get away with six (SIX) attacking duties in the current match engine, especially with playmakers in the centre and double attacking flanks. Thanks though, it does give me a rough template to work from.

It gets easier when you have such players at your disposal. Neymar was outter-wordly in FM12, Rooney was still a top attacker and Banega was a beast of a DLP.

Also, roles where more customable back than, so take things like mentality with a pinch of salt. Consider what the author tried to create and try to convert it to current FM logic.

On a side note, what a brilliant thread!

Depends how you set it up really, you could change the full backs to supporting roles.  I think the one behind the wide IF may have been a FB-S to replicate Wes Brown's role behind Ronaldo.  It might also be worth changing from Control to Counter.  Like I said it was a long time ago since this thread was done so my memory is suspect.

The good and bad thing about the team around that time period is the various approaches to games they used.  From a 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 and then variations of each of those as well.

26 minutes ago, blackdevil said:

Depends how you set it up really, you could change the full backs to supporting roles.  I think the one behind the wide IF may have been a FB-S to replicate Wes Brown's role behind Ronaldo.  It might also be worth changing from Control to Counter.  Like I said it was a long time ago since this thread was done so my memory is suspect.

The good and bad thing about the team around that time period is the various approaches to games they used.  From a 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 and then variations of each of those as well.

Why would you change to counter? Personally I think Control or even Attacking would better replicate almost all United teams have played under Fergie, as the higher mentality allows them to be aggressive with the ball (faster transitions from defence to attack) and without (aggressive pressing coupled with d-line traps set up correctly). 

That's the issue with recreating the side from this era, there were so many different tactics which involved different personnel. I think the main tactic was a hybrid 4-2-2/4-3-3, with an IF either on the left or the right flank. For the sake of balance, i'm toying with the idea of having the 'Ronaldo Role' as an IF on the right, with a FB-s behind him (Wes Brown). On the left, Giggs (WMs) with a few pi's, allowing an attacking full-back (Evra) to overlap. 

I'd say Fergie's sides were all counter-attacking sides.  But they also kept the ball to work an opening if one wasn't immediately available unlike some counter-attacking sides that near enough give the ball to the opposition to try and force a counter-attacking opportunity.

Yes, they played at a high tempo compared to what the "Counter" mentality has by default but this can be changed in the team instructions.  They also defended quite deep and got behind the ball when they lost it with the possible exception of Rooney and Tevez who would press the defence if they had the ball.  (since his pace started to decline Rooney moved to prevent passing lanes which was what Berbatov also did).

You could do the same with standard, control or attacking mentality as well.  In fact there is another post on the first page here that comes close to replicating this general style to some degree.   So may be worth looking at this post to work as from a base and possibly change some roles and instructions.

It's worth noting that further down the first page the formation on the tactic screen changes from a 4-4-2 to a 4-4-1-1 asymmetric.

Another thing to note is that Ferdinand and Vidic were top drawer defenders, quite often they'd be left one on one when the opposition counter-attacked.  Trying to do this with the current Man Utd squad would have many weaknesses.

I'd have to disagree, yes all of Fergie's sides counter-attacked efficiently and with pace, but this wasn't the main strategy in my opinion. Using a counter mentality limits how fast players can move the ball even if the tempo is increased.. however if I were trying to implement this style of football with a mid-table side then I would use a lower mentality. United did defend fairly deep, and usually were position in a low-medium block, which can be achieved by just lowering the defensive line as opposed to using a lower mentality. The beautiful thing about FM there are a variety of ways to achieve the same end product.. Cleon and Özil both successfully recreated the Arsenal Invincibles using counter and attacking mentalities respectively, so I guess we're just splitting hairs. 

I'm struggling to replicate the attacking trident of Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo. So far i've got Ronaldo - IF-a, Tevez - F9 moved to the left, and Rooney - Treq offset to the right as per Zonal Marking's excellent analysis. I'm toying with the idea of making Rooney a SS, although the graphic does show that he often came deep looking for the ball and linking up with Scholes so I think i'm on the right lines.. any ideas?

What players are you using in those roles?

Does the player you're using have the "Comes Deep To Get Ball" ppm?

Depending on the player the TQ role might not put in the work rate Rooney did so might be worth considering the SS or AMa roles and then complementing them with individual instructions to "Move Into Channels" and "Roam From Position"

Martial - IF-a, Dybala - F9, Bernardo Silva - Treq. He has workrate of 15 and aggression of 11 (off the top of my head, I could be wrong) which I think is good enough, although Dybala has the PPM you mentioned, so I could always switch the two around if i wanted to keep the Treq. 

The SS role from my brief use of it doesn't perform as I imagine it to; tends to drift into wide areas more so then get into the box, but having said that if i used a player with the ideal PPMs (Gets Forward Whenever Possible being the stand out) I may see different results.

Bernardo Silva has the ppm "Gets into opposition area" so that should cover that side of things.  It might help if there's a winger attacking down the right flank to take up that space so Silva looks to stay more central.  I presume you're basing it off the side from the Champions League final against Chelsea and using a WMs currently.  Or change the WM to WMa if they're not suitable as a winger.

No complaints with Dybala, he can fill either role with his only weakness being the "dwells on ball" ppm but that's me being very picky :lol:

I'm not too keen on Martial (although he's probably one of the better options) as his mental attributes and ppm's don't give the Ronaldo feel about his play.  The closest from the starting Man Utd (if using the original database) would be Memphis due to ppm's but he also lacks the mental attributes.  And unfortunately for football there aren't many Ronaldo's out there.

I think the best way to go is to get Silva and Dybala to swap positions constantly during games because to be honest.. they're both ******* awesome. Your correct I've got a WMs sitting narrower and crossing from deep, I've got a FB-d behind him so will try giving him an attack duty and see how this changes things.. I'm just weary about balance and not committing. 

Martial's technical stats are good if not brilliant (Finishing 15, Dribbling 17, First Touch 15), but as you say his mentals do let him down (Decisions 12, Vision 12, Concentration 12, Composure & Anticipation 13). However, in my current united save he's only 23 so a lot of room for improvement, although he will never reach Ronaldo's level :lol:

I've been using the video above, and my own memories of that United side to try and come up with something similar on FM17. I know it's practically impossible to replicate without someone like Ronaldo, but the principles can be adapted.

I agree with the comments about that side having a low-medium block, and then countering at pace. They did also keep possession when required, but were not a possession-orientated team. 

I'm still trying to figure out whether control or counter would be most appropriate. Part of me thinks that counter is too conservative in possession.

The other thing I cannot decide on is the philosophy. It definitely wasn't very fluid, I'm torn between structured, flexible and fluid. Might be sensible to keep it in the middle.

Player roles would vary from game to game, depending on personnel. I suppose there are two approaches to this: 1 would be to choose the most appropriate roles for each player and keep tweaking from game to game, the other would be to pick more 'vanilla' roles and let the player's PPMs, attributes and ability dictate how they interpret the role.

Any thoughts?

Since this thread was bumped I've been trying to create a style similar to the 0708 team.  As many have mentioned before it seems to vary slightly each game aside from the back 4 and 2 deep lying central midfielders.

I've been leaning towards a fluid shape and control mentality as the team is split into broad defensive and attacking units as the descriptions fit the general style they played.  Fluid shape also seems close the space between the lines so the inter-change of passes are better.

My current thinking for the roles is to keep the back 4 and 2 deep lying central midfielders with generic (specific) roles and then pick and choose the roles for the front 4 based on what I want them to do.

For the other 4 I think it'll vary based what I want them to contribute to the team and what the players are capable of.

As aside, in my current experiment I've moved the two CM's to the DM strata and set them as DMs and DMd.  This seems to provide more defensive stability and I feel emulates how the two center mids played.  Their ppm's then add flavour to their play.  For example Schweinsteiger will play the DMs role very differently to Fosu-Mensa.

5 hours ago, blackdevil said:

Since this thread was bumped I've been trying to create a style similar to the 0708 team.  As many have mentioned before it seems to vary slightly each game aside from the back 4 and 2 deep lying central midfielders.

I've been leaning towards a fluid shape and control mentality as the team is split into broad defensive and attacking units as the descriptions fit the general style they played.  Fluid shape also seems close the space between the lines so the inter-change of passes are better.

My current thinking for the roles is to keep the back 4 and 2 deep lying central midfielders with generic (specific) roles and then pick and choose the roles for the front 4 based on what I want them to do.

For the other 4 I think it'll vary based what I want them to contribute to the team and what the players are capable of.

As aside, in my current experiment I've moved the two CM's to the DM strata and set them as DMs and DMd.  This seems to provide more defensive stability and I feel emulates how the two center mids played.  Their ppm's then add flavour to their play.  For example Schweinsteiger will play the DMs role very differently to Fosu-Mensa.

I think you missed the crucial part of the TC's definition of a fluid team shape, being 'however, each player is expected to contribute to the transition phase when the opportunity arises' or words to that affect. I don't believe this to be true of the United side, only the front three were really allowed creative freedom, and this can be done through pi's and selecting the right roles/duties. You can negate the space in a 442 by pushing the d-line up, or adding retain possession.

Out of interest, what roles do you mostly use for the front 4?

4 hours ago, jc577 said:

I think you missed the crucial part of the TC's definition of a fluid team shape, being 'however, each player is expected to contribute to the transition phase when the opportunity arises' or words to that affect. I don't believe this to be true of the United side, only the front three were really allowed creative freedom, and this can be done through pi's and selecting the right roles/duties. You can negate the space in a 442 by pushing the d-line up, or adding retain possession.

Out of interest, what roles do you mostly use for the front 4?

From my interpretation they did have creative freedom, how often has Paul Scholes on TV said the team under LVG needed to take more risk or to try something?  And quite often one of the midfielders would get up and around the opposition penalty area.  Occasionally we'd see Vidic or Ferdinand move forward with the build up play albeit not often.  Creative freedom in my view isn't just related to freedom of movement around the pitch but the freedom to try something or to have a go.  For example seeing possible pass over the defence and having the freedom to try it despite the risk of loosing possession.

I've not played many games but the roles I've used so far for the four attacking positions:  (the front 3 I've added roam from positions on them)

Right attacking player in midfield strata - If Mata then APa, If Mkhitaryan then APa, WMa or Wa, If Lingard then Wa, If Memphis Wa/WMa with instructions to cut inside

Right attacking player in attacking midfield strata: - Inside Forward or Winger on attack duty

Left attacking player in midfield strata - either WPa or winger attack

Left attacking player in attacking midfield strata - Inside Forward or Winger on attack duty.  

Central AM - AMa or SS - with the AM I've added move into channels.

CF - DLFa, F9 and AF - ensured move into channels is selected as well as roam from position.

The reason for such variance is that I was struggling to break down a team in the Europa League as they were playing a 4-4-2 box formation.  So I changed the wider players to wingers to try and stretch their defence.  Also did something similar against Everton too.  Idea was to take advantage of where the space was to try and open up the opposition.

I've tested the setup I mentioned above with Real Madrid as they have the most players that fit the system from the starting squad.

DLFa

SSa                 IFa

WPa

DMd  DLPs

WBa  CDd  BPDd  FBa

Control & Fluid - TI: Be more expressive.

The issue with Madrid is no suitable Rooney/Tevez so it played a bit different, but the rest of the play as very much in the style of Man Utd.  On the only goal against Bayern Munich was a typical Ronaldo'esque header at the back post by Bale (Ronaldo is injured) from a Marcelo cross.  

It's only one game in a friendly but the basics were there in the general movement.  There was even a Utd style counter-attack which was missed but the movement and pace was there.  There was a nice range of short and long passes and they showed a little patience when Bayern were set defensively.

Would need to add some hard working & teamwork players in the SS and DLF roles and it'll probably be even better.

1 hour ago, blackdevil said:

I've tested the setup I mentioned above with Real Madrid as they have the most players that fit the system from the starting squad.

DLFa

SSa                 IFa

WPa

DMd  DLPs

WBa  CDd  BPDd  FBa

Control & Fluid - TI: Be more expressive.

The issue with Madrid is no suitable Rooney/Tevez so it played a bit different, but the rest of the play as very much in the style of Man Utd.  On the only goal against Bayern Munich was a typical Ronaldo'esque header at the back post by Bale (Ronaldo is injured) from a Marcelo cross.  

It's only one game in a friendly but the basics were there in the general movement.  There was even a Utd style counter-attack which was missed but the movement and pace was there.  There was a nice range of short and long passes and they showed a little patience when Bayern were set defensively.

Would need to add some hard working & teamwork players in the SS and DLF roles and it'll probably be even better.

I'd change the FBa to a FBs/WBs as I feel this better replicates Wes Brown's role, and would also give your DLP a better passing option.

• 3 months later...

A tactical analysis by Kyan1te. It’s a good replication, and the 1st FM17 video based on SAF’s Man Utd I was satisfied with. His channel is quite good, also providing analysis on other managers like Conte, Klopp etc. He plans to do Pep Guardiola’s 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 tactic for starters when FM18 comes out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 22:46, goqs06 said:

A tactical analysis by Kyan1te. It’s a good replication, and the 1st FM17 video based on SAF’s Man Utd I was satisfied with. His channel is quite good, also providing analysis on other managers like Conte, Klopp etc. He plans to do Pep Guardiola’s 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 tactic for starters when FM18 comes out.

analysis video

• 3 months later...

Archived