Christian Eriksen - Talent in doubt?

Cerebro

Christian-Eriksen-Denmark-vs-Portugal-Arena-L_2780290.jpg

As we take leave of the Euro, we see rather the feeling of emptiness that leave the players that we like. Modric, of course, is the chief reference. On the opposite, what disappointed me most was Eriksen, almost attacking midfielder second striker in Denmark. I'm thinking that the place where we see this talent emerge during the season can sometimes create optical illusions. In this respect, the Dutch League (defensively weak) is that the more tricks. I do not think Eriksen, star of Ajax, is one such case, but thought provoking. Low intensity, speed of execution between the lines. High intensity: positional play without depth.

Without doubt, expect much from him and just did not show anything, embedded in a team that even had moments of good football. Maybe that's the explanation, but the Dutch league is not a perfect scenario to evaluate the real offensive capability of a player.

I'll be very careful ...

It's not just the league, though. I remember him having a couple of good games against United in the Europa League as well. A lot of players don't play as well for their national teams as they do for their clubs. Just look at the majority of the English national team.

Also, Eriksen is 20. One tournament at such a young age is not what I'll judge him on.

Geez, give the bloke a chance will you? He played very well for Ajax, in a system that complements his strong points. Weak league or not, he did very well for a 20 year old. Expecting him to excel in his very first international tournament, playing out of position in a team that can't compare to his club, is harsh to the extreme, or short-sighted even.

Don't you worry, after next season the moneybags of Europe will be lining up for him.

I hope so, but when it comes to young players, was the biggest disappointment of the tournament.

Why? Because he played good-not-great in a good-not-great side? What did you expect, that he was gonna single-handedly play Denmark into the final? Calling him the biggest disappointment of the tournament says more about your expectations than about Eriksen, frankly. They may have been a tad unrealistic.

Or in short, what DJ said.

Eriksen was disappointing but ffs, he's 20, and he was playing for a fairly average team against 2 of the tournaments semi finalists (one potential finalist) and The Netherlands. Plus, as pointed out, he was probably pretty shattered after the season. "Talent in doubt" ffs :D

In my opinion Eriksen is overrated. His comparison with the great Michael Laudrup is uncalled for. He will never be nearly as good.

I see Eriksen as a verg good player for his age but at the moment he's just a squad player for Denmark. He rarely plays well for us. It seems as thou we really, really, really, needed a young player breaking through and thus he has been over hyped massively.

I don't see him in any of the top clubs irl at any stage of his career, but I hope I'm wrong

Why? Because he played good-not-great in a good-not-great side?

Apart from Simon Poulsen at left back, Eriksen was pretty much our worst player in all 3 matches. If he'd played well during the first two matches, I know Morten Olsen well enough to not move Eriksen onto Aa new position in our last match. In which he was even worse.

I frankly can't see that he played 'good-not-great' at any stage. He was atrocious, unfortunately :(

Eriksen was disappointing just like he was at last year's U21 Euros... and if this time around there's the "excuse" of being young and playing against superior opponents, he should have at least been the star of the team.

While last year he didn't even shine much while facing same-age players from weaker/similar nations.

Frankly from a kid who's been hyped so much [also in FM terms ;)] we've seen very little indeed, if we don't count the Dutch league, which is the Brazilian league of Europe...

20 and playing in the hole against Holland, Portugal and Germany, I'm not surprised he struggled. The talent is there he just needs a couple of more years to develop further.

He didn't. He played AMR vs Germany. And struggled.

Eriksen was disappointing just like he was at last year's U21 Euros... and if this time around there's the "excuse" of being young and playing against superior opponents, he should have at least been the star of the team.

While last year he didn't even shine much while facing same-age players from weaker/similar nations.

Frankly from a kid who's been hyped so much [also in FM terms ;)] we've seen very little indeed, if we don't count the Dutch league, which is the Brazilian league of Europe...

I agree. And he rarely scores. Comparing him to the great Michael Laudrup, who made his debut on his 18th birthday and naturally scored, Laudrup scored 9 in his first 9 internationals. In 26 matches for Denmark, Eriksen has scored 2.

There's no comparison really.

Don't get me wrong, Eriksen is very good for his age. He is just over hyped massively.

• SI Staff

Eriksen played a very high amount of games, and in hindsight shouldn't have been going to the Euros at all. He's already a good player, and does have the potential to be a lot better and should succeed at a great club. He's already a good player, at age 20, at Ajax - so he's fine. He does still lack that little bit extra but this is something that should ideally develop between now and the next 2-3 seasons. (eg. goalscoring)

Don't forget that this is his 2nd proper season as a starter and he has played a very high amount of games.

Eriksen played a very high amount of games, and in hindsight shouldn't have been going to the Euros at all. He's already a good player, and does have the potential to be a lot better and should succeed at a great club. He's already a good player, at age 20, at Ajax - so he's fine. He does still lack that little bit extra but this is something that should ideally develop between now and the next 2-3 seasons. (eg. goalscoring)

Don't forget that this is his 2nd proper season as a starter and he has played a very high amount of games.

I really hope you're right :)

I agree. And he rarely scores. Comparing him to the great Michael Laudrup, who made his debut on his 18th birthday and naturally scored, Laudrup scored 9 in his first 9 internationals. In 26 matches for Denmark, Eriksen has scored 2.

There's no comparison really.

Don't get me wrong, Eriksen is very good for his age. He is just over hyped massively.

I think you're right. The Danish team has been lacking a creative midtfielder since Laudrup stopped so the hype about Eriksen was massive. And since he has played great for Ajax and quite well for Denmark, I can understand the press and the fans. But at this tournament he showed absolutely nothing

It's on the other hand still way too early to doubt his talent as such. Even great players has had a crappy tournament during their career, so let's wait and see

There will always be a doubt over his talent whilst he continues to play in Holland.

Playing in Holland equals not being talented? Ibrahimovic (and a score of other players) would have something to say about that :D

Playing in Holland equals not being talented? Ibrahimovic (and a score of other players) would have something to say about that :D
Ibra's God though, tbf :cool:

Yeah, I don't see why playing in Holland doesn't mean he's talented. It's clear to see he has potential, whether or not he fulfills it is another question.

I didn't say he wasn't talented, just that there are doubts over how talented he is whilst he continues to play in such a league as the Dutch one, when/if he goes to a proper league we'll see how good he really is.

I didn't say he wasn't talented, just that there are doubts over how talented he is whilst he continues to play in such a league as the Dutch one, when/if he goes to a proper league we'll see how good he really is.

That just doesn't make sense. Ibra was playing in the Dutch league and the moneybags didn't doubt his talent for a second, came running as soon as he scored a few goals. You'll see, it's the same with Eriksen.

That just doesn't make sense. Ibra was playing in the Dutch league and the moneybags didn't doubt his talent for a second, came running as soon as he scored a few goals. You'll see, it's the same with Eriksen.

Actually it does make some sense. The Dutch league is perceived by many as quite inferior defensively to the other major European leagues and that do affect how people view attacking players exploits in it. And your comparison is somewhat off as the Dutch league has, from what I can see at least, lost quite a bit in reputation in the 8 years since Ibrahimovic left, and he also had his month old performance at the 2004 Euros that helped inflate his price.

Archived