Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They lost narrowly to Newcastle in injury time and came back to equalise against Villa yesterday so they still seem switched on.

I think when you're chasing something and the opposition isn't, at this stage of the season it's a good time to play them

Good match in 2nd half but again the decision to play hazard on right and oscar on left didnt work at all. In 2nd half when they switched they immediately looked so much better with hazard liking to make run inside. Good try though. Very poor crossing specially from Azpilicueta. He has done that consistently and one area he needs to improve.

I think we might be better off withdrawing one of the 3 behind the strikers into a deeper role (like Oscar was playing today) just to give us a bit more stability as every time we get beaten we seem to get overrun in midfield. Ideally I'd want Vidal for it but I doubt he'd be interested so maybe somebody like Strootman or Paulinho. Only problem is we could get a bit lopsided with say Mata staying central and Hazard on one wing but nobody on the other.

Good game today, shame it took us 60 minutes and going 2-0 down to really get into the match. Thought Oscar and Azpi were both pretty poor, probably fatigue more than anything, i certainly think Lampard should have come on for Oscar at some point but Benitez rarely does subs.

The problem is all 3 of them want to come inside every time in the space in front of the centre backs, so City today just defended really narrowly and we never got in behind them, the crosses we did put in were shocking. Needed to change it for Moses, at least he tries to get to the byline sometimes, and Hazard on the right just doesn't work

Annoyed to lose that today bit was pleased with our fight back. Expect us to go all out for the top 4/Europa now. Couldn't see at the time but that Aguero stamp was a disgrace. Ball nowhere near where he jumped and no reason to stamp in the way he did.

Well I have to send those 2 tickets for me and my dad back then :D Right in the middle of the exams. Tough week that week playing away at United a few days before. Could do with getting maximum points up until that week.

Bayer Leverkusen’s Andre Schurrle has agreed personal terms with Chelsea, with the Blues ready to spend €22 million to bring the attacking midfielder to Stamford Bridge, Die Welt has reported.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1415580/schurrle-agrees-terms-chelsea?cc=4716

Btw, has anyone's opinion of selling torres changed recently?

Bayer Leverkusen’s Andre Schurrle has agreed personal terms with Chelsea, with the Blues ready to spend €22 million to bring the attacking midfielder to Stamford Bridge, Die Welt has reported.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1415580/schurrle-agrees-terms-chelsea?cc=4716

Btw, has anyone's opinion of selling torres changed recently?

Not really, he has improved and if he was a 19/35 yo who was happy to sit on the bench that would be fine, but not at 200k p/w

I thought tonight was one of those games where we were comfortable but without playing anything like we can do. I think Luiz' goal came at the right time with the game just sluggishly plodding along. The main thing for me though was JT's goal for the 2nd - think it meant we could be that bit more relaxed but focussed in the second half without exerting ourselves much.

All in all a great nights work and if we can get a win on Sunday then we'll put ourselves in a great position.

Agree that the timing of our opener helped pave the way for the remainder of the match as I think the players eased into the game and became comfortable after Luiz's goal as we dominated from that point onwards (after what was a somewhat cagey beginning to the game). Thought everyone put in a good shift and we should be able to build on this on Sunday.

Also, our away fans tonight :cool::applause: Great stuff.

Tbf we could have had a few more goals. Moses did well overall but some of his final balls weren't very good. Also seen this morning that Pellegrini is apparently our no.1 choice for manager. Don't know a lot about him but he speaks good English and has done well with Malaga/Villarreal.

Archived