Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

As good as Michu is, nobody, including us in a moment of madness, is ever going to pay £20m for him.
I think you are underestimating what your club is capable of when it comes to overpaying for transfers.....

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not liking all this talk of Luis leaving but then again, who would blame him if he did decide to go. Guys an unreal talent and deserves to be winning titles and at least competing in the Champions League. His hunger for the game is lethal and at 26, there is a small chance it might pass him by. Personally wouldn't hold a grudge if he did decide to move to a champions league club, just hope it isn't one of the four in England.

Hopefully, Gerrard/Lucas is in his ear asking him to give it one more season. Let us strengthen in the summer and make a real go of it, if its not working out then so be it. I think the guy is magical and deserves every chance of medals. Although, I said something similar about Torres and look how that turned out. :(

I'd have no grudges with Suarez leaving in 15 months if it was clear we weren't going to be at his level. At 27-29 he should be playing for teams challenging for top honours.

Unsure about Alonso returning. Whilst he's still been amazing every time I've watched him for Real, I fear a return could hurt the memory and legacy of him.

It would be nice for luis to stay another year but if he went his summer I wouldn't begrudge him as that shot at a really big club may only come once. Given his all in a pretty rank team and deserves to be playing at the very highest level, he wouldn't be cheap though.

if we can get 50 mill for Suarez this summer and add that to the 20/30 mill transfer budget Rodgers will get i'm sure we can replace him with not only quality for that area but also other position's.. IE the Defense..

I could see you guys spending £80m on 5 players

Begovic - £8m

Shawcross - £10m

Williams - £5m

Michu - £10

Ben Arfa - £15

£80m on about £40m worth of talent seems right for you guys

Begovic - £8m

Shawcross - £10m

Williams - £5m

Michu - £10

Ben Arfa - £15

Ben Arfa is worth more than £15... I would be willing to pay £20 to take him to my local town :D

Begovic - £8m

Shawcross - £10m

Williams - £5m

Michu - £10

Ben Arfa - £15

You need a new calculator.

My calculator may be broken ;) but people need to read, the point was that Liverpool over pay for players. Jeez.

Also a little dig on the level of players they can go for now. :D

I dont know if it has been mentioned already but the club are asking fans to stump up the extra £50 for season tickets a month early. £850 for a season ticket and money needs to be found a month earlier. I see the protests worked well, protest with your feet not banners. I am in two minds about renewing.

Do you guys think we will win Sunday? I think top 5 is out of the question but we can still finish 6th above Everton. I think we have only finished 6th or above once in last 3 years but I could be wrong.

I dont know if it has been mentioned already but the club are asking fans to stump up the extra £50 for season tickets a month early. £850 for a season ticket and money needs to be found a month earlier. I see the protests worked well, protest with your feet not banners. I am in two minds about renewing.

Do you guys think we will win Sunday? I think top 5 is out of the question but we can still finish 6th above Everton. I think we have only finished 6th or above once in last 3 years but I could be wrong.

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with the way our club does things. It's becoming less and less about the traditional values of the club engrained in it by Shankly and the people of Liverpool, as each day passes. :(

With regards to football matters, i've no idea why Joe Allen was asked to play for so long with this shoulder injury.

There was an article on the Offal yesterday about how fragile it was and how one little knock could have broken a bone, given the way it was positioned.

To me that's bad management from medical staff and manager, as this injury had obviously effected his game. You can see now why he had no confidence on the ball, even though this was something he was renowned for when he joined us.

Should have drafted Coady in and made him have the operation earlier.

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with the way our club does things. It's becoming less and less about the traditional values of the club engrained in it by Shankly and the people of Liverpool, as each day passes. :(

They want tourists to have the match day tickets because they spend more in club shops. I leave home 8 30 am get back about 9 or 915pm pay £17 coach then about £20 food and drink then season ticket on top I just can't justify. I think there are better things to spend money on that I would appreciate more and it pays car insurance road tax and still have money left over for a playstation 4.

I can still go to cup games with the members card and go to league games just not as many.

I dont know how people with kids and mortgage can afford to go to games no just at Anfield but football in general.

They want tourists to have the match day tickets because they spend more in club shops. I leave home 8 30 am get back about 9 or 915pm pay £17 coach thenabout £20 food and drink then season ticket on top I just can't justify. I think there are better things to spend money on that I would appreciate more and it pays car insurance road taxand still have money left over for a playstation 4.

When I was a kid I used to have a season ticket and prices were a fair bit cheaper than they are now. I am from Durham so my Dad had to get one as well, despite being a Sunderland fan and then drive down to every match and even took me to some away games in the UK and Europe. I have no idea how he put up with doing it for two seasons now and completely understand why he said he couldn't afford it anymore.

It's funny how people say Liverpool over pay for players when our actualk net spend on players over the past 10 years is only about -25 mill.. If we did get 40/50 for Suarez and also a kitty of around 25/30 mill. not forgetting carroll should be leaving for around !7 mill to West Ham, Skrtel may be on his way out? that's another 15 mill. I have read today We are in for Eriksson From Ajax at a cut down price due to his contract running down.. Maybe that would seal Suarez for another season?.

Most clubs fans are just a nuisance in the eyes of an owner. They don't really need us. It'll all come crashing down soon enough, though.

Happened in Italy didn't it? Im sure there was a boom there then players were playing in less than half empty stadiums a few years later. I will miss the banter on the coach and travelling to games just hard to justify the price on something you do once a fortnight. I was hoping you guys would help me make my mind up :D we might win a few things if I stop going ;)

When I was a kid I used to have a season ticket and prices were a fair bit cheaper than they are now. I am from Durham so my Dad had to get one as well, despite being a Sunderland fan and then drive down to every match and even took me to some away games in the UK and Europe. I have no idea how he put up with doing it for two seasons now and completely understand why he said he couldn't afford it anymore.

My first season ticket was season after Blackburn won the title. I went to the Blackburn game at Anfield when they won the title ticket cost me £14 season ticket following season £205. 1994 season ticket £205 and next season £850 thats increase of £595 in 20 years about £30 a year increase :(

So apparently, BR has made Christian Eriksen is no.1 transfer target. I think he will take time to settle in if he joins, but I think he will turn out to be a quality signing. People may say that he will not go to a club if they don't get Champions League footy but I disagree, I don't think that will concern him. He will go where he sees ambition and a role in the starting 11. I do, however think that he potentially sees himself at Tottenham if it came down to a summer war bid between clubs.

Would be a good signing IMO

As for the season ticket issue, the thing with a club like ours is, you can give your ticket up if you wish, but the demand is so high (20,000 on the waiting list apparently) that somebody else will snap it up. It might be unpalatable, but its basic supply and demand. Also, given the stature of the club, it's still reasonable value in the grand scheme of things. Be glad you don't support a London club!

It won't be solved as an issue for our clubs until we rebuild and increase corporate hospitality, and the increasing lack of Champions league football means the club needs to raise revenue somehow if it wants to bridge the gap.

Like it or not, the club is a business and needs to be run as such. Part of where we find ourselves is the fact it wasn't ran properly during the early Premier league years.

It won't be solved as an issue for our clubs until we rebuild and increase corporate hospitality, and the increasing lack of Champions league football means the club needs to raise revenue somehow if it wants to bridge the gap.

What do you mean by solved? Season ticket prices will go up even with increased corporate revenue and CL football. There's no way they'll turn around and say that since they have increased revenue they are lowering season ticket prices again.

We are currently imposing larger than inflation rises, 9% this season IIRC. Price will always go up, but the lack of increased matchday revenu and Champions League cash means that Liverpool fans are having to stump up more across the board. It's all a bit chicken and egg for us though.

Happened in Italy didn't it? Im sure there was a boom there then players were playing in less than half empty stadiums a few years later. I will miss the banter on the coach and travelling to games just hard to justify the price on something you do once a fortnight. I was hoping you guys would help me make my mind up :D we might win a few things if I stop going ;)
Part of what Liverpool uses for promotion is that atmosphere of the Kop and the "Anfield experience". If they lose the true supporters of the club, they lose this atmosphere, and they lose this little bit of a selling point that makes us a bit different from other teams.

It's sad that people were talking about how good the atmosphere was at the Zenit game as a one off now.

Like it or not, the club is a business and needs to be run as such. Part of where we find ourselves is the fact it wasn't ran properly during the early Premier league years.
This like it or lump it attitude is why they're allowed to get away with it. People think there's nothing they can do about it and have been convinced that this is true.

When the reality is there's a large group of people who all want the same thing - football supporters across the country want their clubs back and mass action would give the owners, the fat cats at the Premier League, and Sky who make billions from this "product" a kick up the behind.

As an aside, working class fans who can't afford to go to the games suits Sky down to the ground, as they can probably scrape enough for satellite TV, but not afford the extortionate ticket prices etc.

Archived