The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

Left back has to be priority. If Evra gets injured that leaves Blackett or Evans, I would like to rest Evra anyway. We have at least got Petrucci, Brady, Tunnicliffe, Cole etc who if pushed could provide emergency midfield relief, not ideal but better cover than left back.

Plus the young Crewe boy probably also being in the squad too as SAF wants to turn him into a CM.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True but we have no cover now for Evra.

SAF did say yesterday that we will sign one more player (Baines) possibly two (Moura)

We did not have last season or the season before. SAF played Giggs, Evans & Fryers there rather than Fabio when the occassion called for it. :(

He is not losing sleep over the loan although i think a LB is a priority (....funny i was screaming this 3 seasons ago and we still have not sorted it.)

No you will try and then fail.

I never fail :cool:

What kind of comment is that anyway?

An entirely serious one :lol:

As for CM vs LB, left back is at least sorted in terms of the first team, I'm still not convinced even if all our CM's avoid injuries that it's good enough. Carrick at this moment in time is more irreplaceable than Evra.

Not sure how transfer talk for United has turned into you offering me out. :D

Now guess what the next comment will be?...

Who said anything about offering you out? I'll just shoot you in the leg with a high powered rifle, you'll never even see me!

Surprised if it's true we have tabled a bid for the guy, but it's not like he's coming here anyway. With Real and their wages involved it's a no-brainer for the lad. Besides, a winger (right?) coming to a club and learn from the best winger in the world? He must really be torn...

In other news, Larnell Cole has signed a contract extension until 2014 - if the papers are right. Great news. I'm quite tired of youngsters F-ing off elsewhere after we have trained them up to be excellent footballers. Cole is also very talented, with the right attitude, so I have some hope he may make it. Will be interesting to follow him for the Ressies this season, and hopefully he gets a few more subs for the first team too.

Who said anything about offering you out? I'll just shoot you in the leg with a high powered rifle, you'll never even see me!

After watching him on Ghost Recon, you could come up to him and fire a Derringer into his knee and he would still miss it. :)

Vidic is back in training \0/ :thup: Let's hope everything is going to plan and he makes a full recovery. Looks a little skinnier, but maybe it's just a wrong perception.

tre_vid2_artikkel_stor.jpg

Also, can't wait to see this man in action!

tre_shi_artikkel_stor.jpg

(Looks like Tunners got thrown off a little bit there.. :D)

Had a wee laugh at this... Only 4-5 weeks until the season kicks off, and season tickets aren't sold out yet (will they ever get these days?).

"Don’t miss out on this fantastic opportunity to secure your own seat at the Theatre of Dreams for 2012/13 season. Available seats are selling quickly, however, so don’t delay – call us now "

Then this flat-out lie.

"Season Ticket prices have been frozen and now offer better value than ever"

Even better than before the Glazers took over....

Working in marketing sucks the soul out of human beings.

Also, can't wait to see this man in action!

tre_shi_artikkel_stor.jpg

(Looks like Tunners got thrown off a little bit there.. :D)

Looks like he's going to sweep Shinji's ankles out and put him on his arse!

I've done a little squad analysis as I did at the start of last season (because I am that sad):

#	Name			Nat	Pos		Sqd		YtS	DoB							
1	David De Gea 		ESP 	GK		F			07/11/1990								
3	Patrice Evra 		FRA 	LB		F			15/05/1981								
4	Phil Jones 		ENG 	CH/RB/DM/CM	U21		2	21/02/1992								
5	Rio Ferdinand 		ENG 	CH		HG			07/11/1978								
6	Jonny Evans 		NIR 	CH		HG			02/01/1988								
7	Luis Antonio Valencia 	ECU 	RW		F			04/08/1985								
8	Anderson 		BRA 	CM/AM		F			13/04/1988								
9	Dimitar Berbatov 	BUL 	F 		F			30/01/1981								
10	Wayne Rooney 		ENG 	F 		HG			24/10/1985								
11	Ryan Giggs 		WAL 	CM/LW/AM	HG			29/11/1973								
12	Chris Smalling 		ENG 	CH/RB		HG			22/11/1989								
14	Javier Hernández 	MEX 	F 		F			01/06/1988								
15	Nemanja Vidić 		SRB 	CH		F			21/10/1981								
16	Michael Carrick 	ENG 	CM/DM		HG			28/07/1981								
17	Nani 			POR 	RW/LW/AM	F			17/11/1986								
18	Ashley Young 		ENG 	LW/RW/AM	HG			09/07/1985								
19	Danny Welbeck 		ENG 	F/LW/RW		HG			26/11/1990								
20	Fábio 			BRA 	D 		HG (LOAN)		09/07/1990								
21	Rafael 			BRA 	D 		HG			09/07/1990								
22	Paul Scholes 		ENG 	CM		HG			16/11/1974								
23	Tom Cleverley 		ENG 	CM/AM/LW	HG			12/08/1989								
24	Darren Fletcher 	SCO 	CM/DM		HG			01/02/1984								
25	Nick Powell 		ENG 	CM/AM/F		U21		4	23/03/1994								
26	Shinji Kagawa 		JPN 	AM/LW		F			17/03/1989								
27	Federico Macheda 	ITA 	F/LW		U21		1	22/08/1991								
33	Bébé			POR 	RW/LW/AM	F			12/07/1990								
34	Anders Lindegaard 	DEN 	GK		F			13/04/1984								
35	Reece Brown 		ENG 	CH/RB/CM	U21		1	01/11/1991								
36	Marnick Vermijl 	BEL 	RB/RW		U21		2	13/01/1992								
37	Robbie Brady		IRL 	LW/RW/AM	U21		2	14/01/1992								
38	Michael Keane 		ENG 	RB/CH/CM	U21		3	11/01/1993								
39	Tom Thorpe 		ENG 	CH		U21		3	13/01/1993								
40	Ben Amos 		ENG 	GK		HG (LOAN)		10/04/1990								
41	Joshua King 		NOR 	F /RW		U21		2	15/01/1992								
44	Sean McGinty 		IRL 	CH/LB		U21		3	11/08/1993								
45	Davide Petrucci 	ITA 	AM/CM/F		U21		1	17/10/1991								
46	Ryan Tunnicliffe 	ENG 	CM		U21		2	30/12/1992								
48	Will Keane 		ENG 	F 		U21		3	11/01/1993								
50	Sam Johnstone 		ENG 	GK		U21		3	25/03/1993								
52	Larnell Cole 		ENG 	CM/RW/AM	U21		3	09/03/1993								
53	Jesse Lingard 		ENG 	AM/CM/RW	U21		2	15/12/1992								
54	Michele Fornasier 	ITA 	CH/RB		U21		3	22/08/1993								
55	Luke Giverin 		ENG 	LB/LW		U21		3	04/02/1993								

HG		12												
F		11		(YtS = 'Years to Squad')										
TOTAL		23													

So a total of 23 to be registered for this year's Prem squad if you include Berba, Fletcher and Bébé. The 'YtS/Years to Squad' shows how many years they are away from requiring registration to be eligible; to give some perception for the future. For example, any prospective signings should be take into account that though there are two slots free now, Phil Jones will be taking a slot in two seasons time.

All based on last seasons squad plus the three changes we've had so far (Valencia; Powell; Kagawa) and I've taken the liberty of treating Amos and Fryers as though their respective moves will go through. I'd be surprised if Lindegaard doesn't become #13, maybe Rafa to #2, and Johnstone, Tunnerz, Petrucci the Keanes and possibly King may get bumps if they're to be kept around. Lingard and Cole are set to be loaned out; would imagine the same fate awaits most of the other youngsters as they're simply not good enough. Maybe a shirt for Blackett as I said above, possibly the same for the likes of Rudge, Rothwell, Dæhli, Pearson, Januzaj, Barmby and Gorré when the Carling Cup rolls around.

From that then we've seen a bit of a pinch with de Gea, Welbeck and Rafael now requiring registration - Fabio and particularly Amos status also probably contributed to their loan moves. Big year for Petrucci and Macheda to justify a place in the squad if they're to stick around; doubt Brown will make it. Tunnerz and King with only two years left should probably be kept around given their unsuccessful loan spells last term and the possible shallowness of the squad in their positions.

Conversely, there will be spaces coming available - as above Berba, Fletcher (:() and Bébé will likely not be around for much longer. Fergie is on record as expecting this to be Scholes' and Giggs' last season, and Rio can't really be looking far beyond 2014. After that though there's a bit of a drop to Evra at 31 and Carrick and Vidic at 30. The next oldest outfielder is Young at 27. That would give us something like

GK

de Gea

Lindegaard

D

Rafael

Smalling

Jones

Vidic

Evans

Fábio

Evra

M

Valencia

Nani

Tunnicliffe

Carrick

Cleverley

Anderson

Lingard

Petrucci

Kagawa

Young

F

King

Welbeck

Rooney

Macheda

Hernandez

which I make to be 24, albeit including four 'maybe's from the yoof team, five including Kiko. Even ignoring those five, there aren't many players left that most people would be happy to see leave. Evra's form is obviously a concern, but will only be sold if a replacement is brought in, so he I think he can be disregarded. Beyond that, I think this reinforces how massive this year is for Anderson - he has to be next in the firing line. After him, Nani? Rooney? Bearing in mind that with few slots available there isn't much scope for sacrificing a top level player with a view to strengthening the squad, any sales should be made with the intention to bring in a direct replacement who is an improvement. Without that, it seems like we're set on a path of no more than one or two additions per summer for the foreseeable.

Well Scholes, obviously :D Giggs he's more trotted out 'he's got a few years in him left if we manage him right' and similar, first time he's definitively said it's his final or penultimate year for some time at least.

Cofie apparently on loan to Sheffield United.

This Lucas Moura story seems to be constantly in the news. According to ESPN, a Brazilian paper is saying it's a 33m euro bid yet you've got to wonder if they aren't just regurgitating what the English press has been spewing.

The Cofie thing was arranged back on Tuesday, but not officially confirmed until yesterday because of a problem submitting the paperwork.................broken fax machine on our end apparently.

Waiting for when something like this happens on Aug 31

The Cofie thing was arranged back on Tuesday, but not officially confirmed until yesterday because of a problem submitting the paperwork.................broken fax machine on our end apparently.

Well...at least football doesn't use carrier pigeons....

8 match ban.

oh, and Evra too of course. I'm sure he had something to do with it.

Would be happy for the club to ban everyone at the club from twitter. As much as I enjoy Twitter it is a pain sometimes.

Oh Rio... that isn't very clever.

No doubt he'll get a rather hefty fine but not sure how that would constitute racism.

It definitely stands as a racial slur, Rio should know better tbh.

He knows how "Bounty" and "Coconut" abuse is quite hurtful so he should not be doing that. :thdn:

It definitely stands as a racial slur, Rio should know better tbh.

He knows how "Bounty" and "Coconut" abuse is quite hurtful so he should not be doing that. :thdn:

But that comes back to the issue of black-on-black n-word usage. At what point does that become racism or a people taking control of a derogatory word? A black-on-white, white-on-black or any ethnicity on another usage of a term gets a far different reaction than if the ethnic person uses it on their own ethnicity.

But that comes back to the issue of black-on-black n-word usage. At what point does that become racism or a people taking control of a derogatory word? A black-on-white, white-on-black or any ethnicity on another usage of a term gets a far different reaction than if the ethnic person uses it on their own ethnicity.

Black-on-Black N word usage is not used as an insult.

Black-on-Black words like "Bounty" etc are a very common and problematic form of abuse and is NEVER not an insult.

Is insulting someone for not accepting their race racist? Genuine question, it just doesn't strike me as "Ashley Cole wishes he was white and whites are terrible hahahahaha", more like a less classy Uncle Tom reference.

Uncle Tom references are seen as quite racial (although i only learnt that recently), even when tongue in cheek you are basically suggesting that being similar to or acting White is a negative thing.

I always thought they were talking about people not being able to accept the colour of their own skin (kind of self-racism), you live and learn. Either way that isn't going to end well for Rio.

It is a bit of that, but the abuse tends to focus more on the race they are trying to be and less about the race they are unable to accept. It is that part of it which makes it derogatory.

It is more a case of "You are trying to be White" than "You are ashamed to be Black".

Technically he never played in the J-League, but J-League 2?

I completely forgot the 2. Nice catch there mate.

Probably messed up because Cerezo Osaka are in the top division now.

Seems like the next few days are gonna be fun....

Would be happy for the club to ban everyone at the club from twitter.

I would not disagree with that notion.

:D

But on a slightly more serious note, I think this twitter business is getting a bit over the top. I mean the following and 'prosecuting' (used loosely) what people say (or even re-****) on twitter. Who gives a shaking asshair what Rio or anybody else says or retwats on twitter? (Okay, aparently a lot of people follow that religiously), but really, is it a big deal. There's all kinds of spam all over the internet as it is. If Rio or anybody else says something slightly disagreeable, should we really run after him with pitchforks and burning torches?

This goes for the so-called court case with Terry too btw. Yes, he's a C of the highest order, but was really a court case about that necessary? The whole thing seemed out of whack from the start.

Racism is of course a very big issue and we shouldn't take it lightly. I know more than a few things about that, and have risked my skin more than I probably should have given my body size with stepping between people. But think about it for a second. The name "racism" is absurd. Whether you happen to have this, that or the other skin colour, we are very much the same race.

Archived