The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

Gill:

"We have to look forward now and I think any manager coming in will inherit a great squad and great staff around him. It is a dream job. I won't speculate on the announcement but I think we will move relatively quickly.

"In Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex we got in managers who got involved in all aspects of the club. That degree of loyalty is crucial to the success of Manchester United. He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gill:

"We have to look forward now and I think any manager coming in will inherit a great squad and great staff around him. It is a dream job. I won't speculate on the announcement but I think we will move relatively quickly.

"In Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex we got in managers who got involved in all aspects of the club. That degree of loyalty is crucial to the success of Manchester United. He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

That's Moyes out then :thup:

Anyway, football has evolved so much these days. I strongly believe that if Utd really wants to be able to bring in big name players the manager will play a big part. If Ronnie/Falcao/whoever would have to choose between Moyes or Mourinho....

There is going to be so much change at United at the end of the season, SAF retiring, David Gill leaving, a new manager coming in and then Gills replacement also.

Going to be interesting to see how we do next season, especially in the CL if we appoint Moyes. I know he has managed in Europe before (30-ish games i believe) but thats not much experience.

Id rather we get someone who will be around for a long time (10 years or so) i.e Moyes then appoint Mourinho who will maybe only be around for 3-5 years.

Looks very likely that David Moyes is going to be the next manager though. With Fergie going to the boardroom, then he will obviously help out Moyes in terms of the CL etc so that will be a big help.

Moyes to bring Baines and possibly Fellaini with him then?

Fellaini is just the sort of CM we need atm, big and strong and will get stuck in etc

There is going to be so much change at United at the end of the season, SAF retiring, David Gill leaving, a new manager coming in and then Gills replacement also.

Going to be interesting to see how we do next season, especially in the CL if we appoint Moyes. I know he has managed in Europe before (30-ish games i believe) but thats not much experience.

Id rather we get someone who will be around for a long time (10 years or so) i.e Moyes then appoint Mourinho who will maybe only be around for 3-5 years.

I don't get this at all. No one sticks around anymore 3-5 years is a long time in football.

What if we hire moyes but it leads to 5 managers in 5 years? would rather mourinho for the same period.

Whoever the new manager is I hope they offer GNev the assistants position.

Some saying that SAF retired because Gill is leaving. Ed Woodward is a commercial genius but is also a Glazer boy and might have restricted what SAF could do in the following seasons.

He already came out and contradicted SAF by saying we will not do much in the summer only days after SAF said he is planning on adding 2 quality players to the team.

If the 'European experience' counts out Moyes didn't Gill say something youth development, you'd think that would count Mourinho out then

Yeah, disgusting how he's playing a washed up Pepe ahead of young talent like Varane...

This thing about Mourinho not playing youngsters is a bit overblown, you know?

If the 'European experience' counts out Moyes didn't Gill say something youth development, you'd think that would count Mourinho out then

This line from the independent sums it up.

"A senior figure at the club once told me that whoever succeeded Ferguson would have to demonstrate that they "got" what United was all about. That it could not be a platform just for the projection of one individual alone. While at the same time, that manager would have to be a big enough personality to deal with the enormity of the challenge and the legacy of Ferguson"

No one fits that bill tbh not even Moyes.

I don't get this at all. No one sticks around anymore 3-5 years is a long time in football.

What if we hire moyes but it leads to 5 managers in 5 years? would rather mourinho for the same period.

Whoever the new manager is I hope they offer GNev the assistants position.

At most clubs but we had Matt Busby as manager for like 25 years or something, and SAF for 27 years.

David Moyes will get time at United even if we dont win anything for a couple of seasons (unlikley, as the squad is very good atm)

Mourinho for example is more likley to do better in Europe than Moyes at this time but he doesn't stay at one club all that long.

Moyes you would think would be happy to stay at United for a long time (provided we are successful

Yeah, disgusting how he's playing a washed up Pepe ahead of young talent like Varane...

This thing about Mourinho not playing youngsters is a bit overblown, you know?

You do realise that Mourinho would mean Nani stays..... ;)

Sorry mate but Man U now have to get used to modern day football, same manager for next 10 years, WILL NOT HAPPEN!

Pretty sure Craig only wants moyes because he thinks it will mean Baines and Fellaini coming in as well :lol:

No, im saying i want a manager that will be around for a significant time.

If that is Moyes then we might finally get Baines and possibly Fellaini, if Moyes feels/or wants one or both of them to come with him.

Im not saying i only want Moyes so we can get those two.

If it's Moyes, Rooney will have a manager that he settled out of court with to avoid being sued for libel? Really doesn't sound like he'll be around next season then.

The thing with Moyes for me is that he hasn't won anything of note, his achievements with Everton are great but could you imagine Ferguson happy to stagnate at a club that long without winning anything? I just don't see that drive in Moyes and that worries me, Mourinho has that hunger at least, although along with other issue.

I'm edging towards Mourinho but I'm not entirely happy with my conclusion (although that was inevitable given who he is replacing)

The thing with Moyes for me is that he hasn't won anything of note, his achievements with Everton are great but could you imagine Ferguson happy to stagnate at a club that long without winning anything? I just don't see that drive in Moyes and that worries me, Mourinho has that hunger at least, although along with other issue.

I'm edging towards Mourinho but I'm not entirely happy with my conclusion (although that was inevitable given who he is replacing)

I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of perceived 'drive' in his personality, it's definitely there. Whilst staying at Everton for 11 years could be misconstrued as stagnating, the man has immense pride in what he does and an incredible stubborness, perhaps to see something through to the end. Unfortunately he arrived in an era where the rich got richer and the rest slipped away and pride and passion can only take you so far.

What he's achieved with Everton is admirable, but it's not the workings of a winner, it's the actions of a safe pair of hands. Maybe that's all the club needs at the moment to be successful in which case it's a good appointment, I just don't know anymore!

Getting Everton to where they were was a great achievement (although about Liverpool was more down to chronic mismanagement on the red side, something we wont always have the luxuary of at City and Chelsea), however that happened a while ago and sitting holding them in place, never making strides forward waiting for something else just doesn't sit right with me. If he had that will to win (combined with the necessary skill which is a requirement) I just feel he'd have found some way/place to make it happen. In my eyes Mourinho has that will and ability to follow up what Ferguson has done, what's in question is his application, I'm not sure Moyes has that and it worries me.

it will be Moyes though, because he has a history of spending only loose change in the transfer market, which is ideal for the Glazers.

didn't you spend like £50m last summer? What's will all this loose change nonsense? The Glazer's have shown they'll invest surely?

Everton play good football and Moyes has bought good footballing players. I think everton have only lost 6 league games this season and have been challenging top 5 last few seasons and finished above liverpool last 2 seasons and 3 in 8 years. You can argue United should be looking at bigger names or managers with more European experience but can't say Moyes is a poor manager or plays poor football.

If it's Moyes, Rooney will have a manager that he settled out of court with to avoid being sued for libel? Really doesn't sound like he'll be around next season then.

Old news. They made up over that about 5 years ago.

and IF moyes came and Brought Fellaini, will he play him where we need him, or as an attacking player like he is now?

Bit of a weird question. He has played Fellaini in midfield essentially for 4 out of the 5 years he's had him. I think you can trust him to play him in the right place.

I heard you will appoint new manager within the next 48 hours. I don't kow who it will be but looks like its Moyes. I just wish I had a bet when the rumours about fergie leaving and Moyes taking over end of the season appeared on Saturday.

What he's achieved with Everton is admirable, but it's not the workings of a winner, it's the actions of a safe pair of hands. Maybe that's all the club needs at the moment to be successful in which case it's a good appointment, I just don't know anymore!

Getting Everton to where they were was a great achievement (although about Liverpool was more down to chronic mismanagement on the red side, something we wont always have the luxuary of at City and Chelsea), however that happened a while ago and sitting holding them in place, never making strides forward waiting for something else just doesn't sit right with me. If he had that will to win (combined with the necessary skill which is a requirement) I just feel he'd have found some way/place to make it happen. In my eyes Mourinho has that will and ability to follow up what Ferguson has done, what's in question is his application, I'm not sure Moyes has that and it worries me.

That's what I think. Mourinho should be head and shoulders above every candidate. The worst that could happen with Jose is that Utd will be looking for a new manager in 5 years, but the structure is in place for continuity. He's the only one with the personality for Utd.

According to other posters, apparently European experience means nothing for a manager about to take the biggest job in England. But it does Moyes has no experience playing against the major European clubs, or any European clubs for that matter. Whilst smaller clubs than Everton have also won trophies in the last decade.

Fergie didnt come to Aberdeen with any European experience, he was the last guy in Scotland to take a European cup home. Pep had no managerial experience in the champions league or at anything above B team level, 4 years later he is the most coveted manager in the world.

Again, everyone starts somewhere.

Archived