Steve McManaman Conspiracy Theory: Germany v Denmark to draw...

Bababui

Remember Barry Davies' classic commentary to the Germany/Austria game in '82 World Cup. the Nichtangriffspakt von Gijón, where they basically took the pee and didn't even bother to hide that they were doing it (before the backpass rule!) ensuring they both worked to knock some weak team out on the group stages (Kuwait??).

"If you really care, if you're really interested....this disgrace of a game is going to end in a draw". Go Barry Davies. Well missed. :D

Match summary

After 10 minutes of furious attack, West Germany succeeded in scoring through a goal by Horst Hrubesch. After the goal was scored, the team in possession of the ball often passed between themselves in their own half until an opposition player came into the vicinity of the ball. The ball was then passed back to the goalkeeper. Isolated long balls were played into the opposition's half, with little consequence. For the next 80 minutes there were few serious attempts on goal, e.g. by Wolfgang Dremmler of West Germany. The only Austrian player who seemed to make any effort at livening the game up was Walter Schachner, though he had little success.

This performance was widely deplored by all observers. German ARD commentator Eberhard Stanjek at one point refused to comment on the game any longer. Austrian commentator Robert Seeger bemoaned the spectacle and actually requested that the viewers should switch off their television sets.

Likewise, many spectators were not impressed and voiced their disgust with the players. Chants of "Fuera, fuera" ("Out, out") were screamed by the appalled Spanish crowd, while angry Algerian supporters waved banknotes at the players. The match was criticized even by the German and Austrian fans who had hoped for a hot rematch of the 1978 World Cup match, in which Austria had beaten West Germany; one German fan burned the national flag in protest.[4] · [5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria_(1982_FIFA_World_Cup)

Edit - It wasn't a draw after checking and it was Algeria they knocked out, but a result that saw them both going through.

Remember Barry Davies' classic commentary to the Germany/Austria game in '82 World Cup. the Nichtangriffspakt von Gijón, where they basically took the pee and didn't even bother to hide that they were doing it (before the backpass rule!) ensuring they both worked to knock some weak team out on the group stages (Kuwait??).

Algeria . [/pedant]

Yes, it was Algeria and that is the reason we now have final group games kicking off at the same time.

Ruud Guillet was also coming out with this yesterday. It's hardly something that requires much mental agility other than 'oh, if it's a draw they're both through'

except if portugal win or draw, denmark would go out.

There's that, and the fact that Germany doesn't really stand to gain anything from such a 'conspiracy'. If I was a German player, I'm sure I'd love to see the Netherlands play against Spain in the QF, for ***** and giggles.

There's that, and the fact that Germany doesn't really stand to gain anything from such a 'conspiracy'. If I was a German player, I'm sure I'd love to see the Netherlands play against Spain in the QF, for ***** and giggles.

That's never going to happen. Our group is paired with group A so Holland can get to the semis if they qualify through the group stage.

That's never going to happen. Our group is paired with group A so Holland can get to the semis if they qualify through the group stage.

My bad, I was confused with the semi's. 2B meets 1C in the semi's if they both make it through the QF.

Still, I feel my point stands. The notion of a conspiracy hinges on both parties standing to benefit from it and since at present Liechtenstein seems capable of tearing us a new one, Germany has no motive. It's not as if they're eliminating a stronger opponent or anything.

Still, I feel my point stands. The notion of a conspiracy hinges on both parties standing to benefit from it and since at present Liechtenstein seems capable of tearing us a new one, Germany has no motive. It's not as if they're eliminating a stronger opponent or anything.

Agreed. Germany can't risk Portugal winning as well, so Germany will need a point.

Archived