Group B: Germany-Netherlands, Wednesday 13/6 20.45 CET

Orzelek

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I would be either. Chasing the game, need a point and one of the better attacking players goes off.
What about describing as one of the greediest and most selfish players in the modern game, who repeatedly turns down the opportunity for personal glory ahead of his team's success, often without success? Such a gifted but tainted player.

That's it! \0/

Fine performance by Germany, playing very clever throughout the game

Netherlands were disappointing- the defence is shambolic and generally they played poorly, only shortly after RVP's goal they were dangerous

Well that's what happens when you don't try to attack with any sense of urgency. I'm stunned that they didn't ride the wave from grabbing one back, just fell back to their old ways. One moment of brilliance by v Persie, a shambolic performance by the Dutch and a very solid getting things done by Germany, who did not, in my opinion, look like they needed to make a special effort to win this game.

Aren't Holland out because their head to head against Denmark knocks them out even if they win?

I'm confused trying to work it out actually. In that situation, each team would have beaten one of the others and lost to one of them!

edit: ah, solved!

Because there would be three teams tied on points, individual head-to-head isn't used, because as mentioned above everyone would have a win and defeat, so how would you order them on that basis.

Answer is that they don't, they use goal difference in the games between the teams.

So Denmark need to lose. And Holland need to win by two goals. If that happens Holland go through by one goal over Denmark (Portugal would finish bottom).

Average-to-good match.

Average because the Netherlands let themselves down by their massively shambolic defending. Willems showed today that Van Marwijk should have brought a more experienced left full back. Heitinga and Mathijsen were average, but it's expected. It didn't help that Van Bommel forgot what "closing down" means. I always shouted that Robben should be dropped, and I'll say this again today. Sneijder wasn't accurate with his passes, but he was circled by so many players when he got the ball. I don't think that Huntelaar would have made a difference had he not come in. It was Van der Vaart who offered more spark in the midfield.

Germany were actually average, but their organization was good and the key for today's win as usual.

Chris Waddle on BBC Radio 5 live at Metalist Stadium:

"It's been a very good game. I liked the way Holland played but they were punished at the back. Germany were very efficient and Gomez scored two good goals. But Holland aren't out. They can score three, four or five goals in a game."

Yeah Chris but then the score would be 5-6 ;)

It was a weird game for me. Finish 2-1 but the Germans won so easily yet the score was no reflection of their domination. For example at the end they just kept the ball for ages and the Dutch couldn't do a thing. Once again missed their best chances. Germany (Gomez) were fantastic at converting. Thought Schweinsteiger was absolutely immense and controlled the game. His passing and vision was amazing. Dutch defence was all over the place. Full backs were so out of their depth. Holding midfielders also not good enough for this level. Will be interesting to see Germany in the knockout games when they are pushed as they didn't have to get out of third gear today. Can't see the Dutch beating Portugal if their finishing is like the first two games. Especially can't see them winning by two clear goals, which is probably what they will need to do in order to qualify.

Germany rest players and play out a draw vs the Danes.

They can't risk it. If they loose either 1-0, 2-1 or by two or more goals and Portugal beats Holland, Germany are out. They will field a team very close to full strength, sadly (Boateng is suspended, mind you).

A 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, etc., win for Denmark will see both teams through, though :D

I almost fell from my barstool when I saw our team sheet. So disappointed that van Marwijk stubbornly sticks to this one system. The rest of the match was inevitable because of that. And then he has the gall to claim that the first German goal 'came out of nowhere'.

For exactly 5 minutes during the entire match, after our goal (now THAT one came basically out of nowhere), I had the feeling that we might snatch something but we soon fell back to this utterly static game without final forward pass.

2-1 against Germany doesn't look that bad on paper, but the manner in which we meekly went to the butchers is maddening.

For exactly 5 minutes during the entire match, after our goal (now THAT one came basically out of nowhere), I had the feeling that we might snatch something but we soon fell back to this utterly static game without final forward pass.

I think that's a tad harsh, up to Gomez' goal it was a pretty even match, with some of our players being shaky too - I remember Podolski in particular causing trouble by a missed pass. Afer that.. yeah. van Persie could have scored himself early on, and then the match would have taken a different direction. With a different outcome? We will never know.

In a group like this tight games were to be expected even against hard working Danes, though I expected the Netherlands to finish better than Portugal, which maybe, they will still do. Speaking about Podolski, he has yet to to turn up. I hope Löw is going to give either Schürrle, Götze or Reus a chance in the next match - always puzzled me why he didn't substitube Reus in the last third of the first match, deadly on the counter attack he is.

Archived