[Match 6][Group C] Ireland vs Croatia - 10/06/12 1945 BST

sean_oc16

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First they had the 2010 World Cup fiasco, they've also been hard done by tonight not to the same level but still not good enough. The second goal was a blatant foul on Ward (terrible player) and then the penalty, beyond those two major decisions the referee/linesmen were terrible in many smaller instances.

I'm an Ireland man but wtf are you on about?!

The reason for that is because our players are generally pretty poor. How many other trams would Whelan, St Ledger, Ward, Walters, Andrews and O'shea get into?!?

Would walk into the Scotland side :(

Ireland looked out of their depth. Lacked the ability to retain possession and made tons of defensive errors. Think Croatia could've scored more if they wanted to. Let their foot off the gas at 3-1 and just played the game out. No idea how good Croatia are as they weren't tested at all tonight. Will be interesting to see them play Italy. Hard to predict cos Italy played largely on the counter today so will also look very different in their next game. Imagine winner of that qualifies with Spain. I really fear for Ireland now considering they couldn't keep the ball today and Spain are the masters of possession football. Could be a case of name your score. Otherwise may make sense resting some players ahead of their big game with Croatia.

Is Bilic ill or something? Because that cap makes him look like a junkie.

He has a cold, yeah. But even if I had one personally, I wouldn't wear it. He looked ridiculous.

Good match. I hoped that Republic of Ireland could get a draw, but well ... .

Ireland don't have as many qualities as Croatia do, but I give them credits for their passion. I expected more from Given, but he's already old anyway. McGeady was disappointing. Andrews did well, but didn't have much luck today.

Croatie played well, especially the attacking trio of Modrić, Mandžukić, and Jelavić.

Croatia looked decent but not massively worrying for the very best based on that. Ireland did well to get back into it. I don't have a problem with the 2nd Croat goal, Ward had two chances to clear that and sliced it through, I think that's fair enough as a 'phase' despite Jelavic being offside from the previous pass forward. Clear pen for Ireland though, I thought. Ref looking right at it too, not sure who he didn't give it but think 3-1 was fair

I think the ref would have been more inclined to give the pen had Ireland not been playing on with a Croatian down. Not that that should influence his decision...

Looks UEFA are at least letting Mario Mandžukić keep the second goal though, rather than giving it as an OG.

Would be ridiculous if it was given an own goal. The ball hit the post and was clearly going in even without hitting Given.

I thought it was coming back off the post across goal, don't think it would have gone in without Given's header.

Would be ridiculous if it was given an own goal. The ball hit the post and was clearly going in even without hitting Given.
I agree, it was coming inwards towards the goal with or without Given's intervention (initially I thought it was an OG but I watched MOTD and it's definitely Mandžukić's goal)

No doubt about the goal for me.

I remember one of Rooney's goals against Switzerland in Euro 2004 - that came back off the post and hit the back of the keeper's head roundabout the edge of the six yard box and went in, and Rooney still got the goal. If the keeper hadn't touched it it would have ended somewhere near the half way line :D

Archived