(FM11) Haverfordwest: a most excellent adventure Vol II

withnail316

The Loosemore League Cup Final

Saturday 3rd May 2014

Haverfordwest County AFC Vs Llanelli AFC

The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

A fourth straight league cup final, and a meeting with a side who are traditionally our biggest rivals. With the title safely in the bag, we can go out and enjoy this one, which would be our first of two cup finals in a week, and with a largely fully fit squad. Both Billy Paynter and Alex Brister are fit for the game, a pairing who've scored 51 goals between them. I'm planning to take the game to Llanelli, although I'll stick with the 4-3-1-2 system.

First half.

Not much to write about in the first half, no real opportunities either end, although that changed in stoppage time. An inswinging James Ashmore corner was handled inside the area, and Billy Paynter stepped up to blast home from the spot.

HT Haverfordwest 1-0 Llanelli

Second half we were out the blocks quickly, and within 8 mins from the restart we'd got a second goal. Another Ashmore corner swung in, and Alex Brister stabbed home his 29th of the season. And that was that...

FT

lc1314.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This image is especially for JackJCFC (if you've not read his Carmarthen save, please do!)

carrelegated.png

Bit different to your save!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fawlogo.jpg

The Welsh Cup Final

Saturday 10th May 2014

Haverfordwest County AFC Vs Aberystwyth Town

Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli

In between last week's league cup final and this one, our season finished with a 3-2 defeat against Llanelli. I'm hoping that defeat kicks a few up the backside and we see a good reaction as we chase another treble. Once again, we're pretty much at full strength, and the plan is to go for the jugular against another big rival.

First half

Another quiet first half, although Alex Brister and Billy Paynter combined, allowing Paynter to smash home the opener.

HT Haverfordwest 1-0 Aberystwyth

Second half

The second half was very lively, and instantly after the break we had a goal ruled out for offside. Minutes later substitute Rory Loy went clean through and slotted home minutes later, only for the flag to go up very dubiously. However, we did manage a second 14 minutes from time, Danny Murphy's peach of a cross powered home by Paynter for his second. Another trophy in the bag.

FT

wc1314.png

treble1314.png

clublogo.png

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season Summary 2013/14

League

Media prediction: 2nd

Finished: 1st (champions)

Cups

Welsh Cup: Winners

Loosemore League Cup: Winners

European competition

Champions League: qualified for group stages. Finished 4th in the group

Top scorers

Alex Brister: 41 appearances/ 40 starts - 29 goals/ 15 in the league

Billy Paynter: 33 appearances/ 32 starts - 26 goals/ 17 in the league

Mateusz Szczepaniak: 51 appearances/ 43 starts - 11 goals/ 8 in the league

Positives

Another treble in the bag is always good, and qualifying for the Champions League group stage again was very nice thank you very much!

Concerns

Very few, although I think I need to do a bit of work defensively for the next European campaign. I simply can't afford to concede so many goals if I'm to get any further in the Champions League. My board also keep refusing my requests for training and youth facilities, and I'm still without a youth academy. A little frustrating, but I'll twist their arm eventually!

Ambitions

Obviously the league again, but after that I'd like to ensure we're involved in Europe again. The cups are always nice, but not necessarily a priority.

League Table

finaltable1314.png

Surprise of the season

Not losing home or away against Fiorentina in the Champions League was certainly a surprise!

Player of the season

Billy Paynter

Average attendance

450 in the league (an increase of 109)

593 in all competitions (increase of 99)

Great Treble! Hopefully the Champions League is nicer to you next season.

Well, I'm trying to splash some of that Champions League cash in preparation for next year, so hopefully I can do a little better. I hope to have another update in the next hour or so...

clublogo.png

Haverfordwest County AFC: season preview 2014/15

Media expectation: 1st

Board expectation: Win the title

I've had a busy few weeks in the transfer market, and unlike in previous seasons, I've actually spent some money! Well, A LOT of money for a Welsh club, shattering my transfer record by ten fold and then doubling it within a week. We're currently spending £18,000 a week on wages, which is a hell of a lot, but if we're involved in European competition I've nothing to worry about. The club have now started work on a youth academy and are developing the training grounds, as well as giving £2.2m to shareholders, so I think they're pretty confident on the financial side. However, I'm very wary of my board so I won't spend any more. The chairman would allow me to spend £50,000 a week on wages, so I reckon there's a screw loose somewhere! Before I get on to new arrivals, I'll concentrate on the players leaving the club.

Two of my midfielders hung up their boots this summer, with Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and Kuami Agboh deciding to concentrate on their coaching careers. Both players had slipped down the pecking order in the last year, so it's not too big a loss, but obviously it means I need to fill the hole a little. A couple of youngsters also left the club after failing to break in to my thoughts for the squad, while Joseph Shaughnessy, Andrew Hageman and Phil Imray all left the club for £10,000 each.

Arriving in was 19 year old goalkeeper Lino Taylor, who was signed for £575,000 from Arsenal. Although I was quite happy with last year's keeper Jonathan Bond, Taylor is far superior already and with bags of potential. He looks absolute quality. Not settling for spending that, I also wanted to strengthen up front, and youngster Eric Owusu arrived from Chelsea for a massive £1.3m. Although he was highly expensive, I see him challenging Paynter this year rather than starting each week, but he's a terrific addition. Also arriving on loan is 17 year old midfielder Dan Lewis who I'd agreed a fee of £1m but had to settle for a loan for now. Still, he should be top drawer in Wales.

I'm still on the look out for a central defender and a couple of youngsters (the Welsh league's rules state there must be 2 U19s in every match day squad) but over all I'm pretty happy. My back room team keep telling me to strengthen in midfield, but I think we should have enough. Here's a couple of images, anyway:

danlewis.png

ericowusu.png

linotaylor.png

Now on to a few friendlies, and those Champions League qualifiers...

Champions League Third Qualifying Round First Leg

Haverfordwest 3-0 Buducnost

hwbudu.png

Buducnost 3-1 Haverfordwest

budhw.png

clpo1415.png

Not too optimistic of making the Champions League after this draw. Still, if I can beat them it'll be one of my sweetest ever FM wins....

Europa League Group G

As is ALWAYS the way before my European campaign gets underway, I lost a key player in the match before which will rule him out for probably the entire group stage. Chris Hegarty, one of my best centre halves has a hip injury, so I'm not quite as optimistic anymore! Anyway, let's see what happens...

(I'm going to write these fixtures out and just edit them after each game, which means I get a slightly earlier update in..)

Celtic 1-1 Haverfordwest

Wowzers, I did not see that coming, and even less so when Celtic took the lead after 2 minutes. However, we responded well and Alex Brister continued his path to legendary status with the equaliser, drilling home after a mazy run. Fantastic point.

Haverfordwest 0-1 Sampdoria

Absolutely gutted, this game was as tight as it gets and ultimately decided by David Cowan's late red card. He was sent off for a second bookable offence, and from that floated free-kick Sampdoria centre half Daniele Gastaldello powered home an unstoppable header. Brilliant display though.

Haverfordwest 2-2 Genk

A belter of a match, but ultimately I'm a little disappointed to just get a point. Genk led twice, we again conceded early on only to respond instantly with Michael Smith's powerful header, and then conceded just after half time. Luckily, substitute Rory Loy was in the right place at the right time to get us a point, although I had hoped for all three. Still, after 3 games, three teams have 2 points, so in with a shout of the impossible: qualification!

Great result! Surprized that both Real Madrid and Man Utd are in the Europa as well.

Yeah, I was certain I'd get one of them. Man United have been pretty poor in my save, since Fergie left 4th is about as good as it gets for them.

Europa League Group G

Genk 1-2 Haverfordwest

Another game, another early goal conceded. However, Genk were down to 10 as early as the 17th minute, and eventually we wore them down. Mateusz Szczepaniak grabbed the leveller 8 minutes from time, and in the 87th minute, Rory Loy drilled home a winner. Best European match ever!

Haverfordwest 2-1 Celtic

Despite our old habit of conceding early, we responded brilliantly in this game and thoroughly deserved our victory. Former Rangers striker Rory Loy grabbed our leveller after 55 minutes, rounding the Bhoy’s keeper and sliding home, before Billy Paynter got the winner 10 minutes later. Danny Murphy’s corner wasn’t properly cleared, and Paynter smashed home the loose ball from 6 yards. 2 wins and 2 draws from our 5 games, which meant this happened:

elqual1415.png

Staggered doesn't come close.

Sampdoria 2-0 Haverfordwest

Having already qualified, I picked what was pretty much a reserve side. Samp were too strong, but I've nothing to complain about.

finalel1415.png

Yeah, it was a real blow, although luckily I'm not too bad for strikers.

Oh yeah, and just had this:

newcastleoffer.png

Very tempted, but it's nowhere near the challenge I'd require (indeed, it's pretty much the same as my Everton move in my last Welsh career.) Turning down the £20,000,000 transfer kitty (:eek:) and staying at little old Haverfordwest.

Brilliant season Withnail and some loyalty to turn down Newcastle.

Cheers Nobby. I generally don't like the big jobs so it wasn't too hard to turn down. FM to me is more about the fairytale of trying to take a tiny club to greatness, rather than recreating real life. OK, they're not Real Madrid, but you get my point.

It would be a great move, but I understand the desire to stay.

Turned down both Lazio and Fiorentina since that update, and there was interest from Germany as well.... I'll admit I've been tempted. If Dortmund/ Bayern/ Juve/ AC Milan come calling I'm going to have a problem....

Europa League Round of 32

Haverfordwest 2-1 Panathinaikos

Staggering win, we only had about three shots on target all game. Danny Murphy's free kick 5 minutes in to the second half put us in front, only for the Greeks to instantly equalise. However, Alex Brister's 87th minute diving header gives us a slender lead for the second leg.

Panathinaikos 3-1 Haverfordwest

So near and yet so far. Dan Lewis gave us the lead after an hour, but ultimately we wilted under pressure. Heading for extra-time, Jay Tabb missed an injury time one-on-one, and then we instantly conceded a free kick 25 yards out. Top corner, we were out. Harsh, but my best ever European performance at Haverfordwest. Something to build on.

Cheers all

I'm hoping it gives the club a bit of a boost as far as reputation is concerned, and maybe lifts the league a little too. I'm already seeing my scouts find players in countries they normally wouldn't such as Mexico, so hopefully that's just the start.

The Loosemore League Cup Final

Saturday 2nd May 2015

Haverfordwest County AFC Vs The New Saints FC

The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Just the one cup final this year, but a chance to win the trophy for a fifth straight season. TNS have had a decent year, they're third in the league and can finish in second if they win their final game of the season. They're also the only side to have beaten us in the league so far this season, so this could be a bit of a toughie. I've a couple of injuries going in to this, two of my key defenders are out although I'm pretty happy with the cover available. As ever, I'm planning on going all out attack in this cup final.

First half

A first half where we ran absolute riot! 2 goals from Alex Brister put us on our way, before James Hurst thumped home a volley of the frame of the goal, and then just before the break Billy Paynter made it 4. Happy days.

Half time: Haverfordwest 4-0 TNS

Second half

More of the same second half. A Danny Murphy cross was powered in by Billy Paynter for his second, before Brister secured his hat-trick with a curler from 25 yards. A Nathan Rooney header put the icing on the cake, and we'd won yet another cup in fine style.

Final score:

lc1415.png

double1415.png

clublogo.png

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season Summary 2014/15

League

Media prediction: 1st

Finished: 1st (champions)

Cups

Welsh Cup: Knocked out in Third Round (Bangor City)

Loosemore League Cup: Winners

European competition

Champions League: Knocked out in play-off round.

Europa League: Finished second in Group stages, knocked out in round of 32

Top scorers

Alex Brister: 44 appearances/ 41 starts - 26 goals/ 15 in the league

Billy Paynter: 48 appearances/ 45 starts - 19 goals/ 13 in the league

Mateusz Szczepaniak: 45 appearances/ 39 starts - 11 goals/ 8 in the league

Positives

Another League title and a cup means it's been a good year. It was a real shame not to get into the Champions League this year, but making the round of 32 in the Europa League was a fantastic consolation.... Happy days.

Concerns

No major concerns, still have a bit of work to do defensively, especially in Europe, but I'm generally pretty happy.

Ambitions

After having progressed in Europe for the first time, I'm desperate to do it again! I'm not convinced I'm ready for the Champions League yet, but if I can finish 3rd in the group and drop into the Europa League I'll be delighted.

League Table

finaltable1415.png

Surprise of the season

Getting through the EL group stages, definitely.

Player of the season

TBC

Average attendance

458 in the league (an increase of 8)

607 in all competitions (increase of 14)

Archived