England's midfield options are seriously lacking

Baptista_8

Not when he plays deep he isn't because he attempts too many long passes when deep (harder to complete of course). He is better utilised higher up the pitch, but has hardly ever played there for England.

He has an 83% pass completion in the Premier League, which isnt great, but it only tells half the story as above. Leon Britton from Swansea had the highest pass percentage in Europe at one point for instance.

Basically, holding midfielders will make more simple passes and therefore get a higher pass percentage, whereas attacking/creative midfielders will try more difficult passes and do so under greater pressure, hence lower pass completion. Gerrard when playing deep tends not to do the simple stuff, because he is an attacking player.

Not every team can play like Barcelona and deny teams the ball for 70% of the match and all have stupidly high pass completion.

Football is not a simple as spitting out a stat without a context.

Gerrard can be frustrating though. It's like he's always looking for that pass, even if he hits it it's likely the forward or winger is up there on their own. It seems whenever he gets the ball he rarely strides forward, even 10 yards, before playing it just looks up and hits a long ball

You English guys should be thankful that Joey Barton does not play for Liverpool or Roy would for sure have picked him.

Just something so you guys have a plus point to focus on while watching what I think will be a pretty dire competition for you.

England basically done for :D The best that can be hoped for is getting out the group.
That was always the case. If England struggle and the press (or people here) blame Hodgson or the Liverpool players I'll be livid. Not surprised, but livid.

That was always the case. If England struggle and the press (or people here) blame Hodgson or the Liverpool players I'll be livid. Not surprised, but livid.

Well I always thought it would be a struggle for them but the team selection and tactics being used it is almost like they are not even giving themselves a chance.

Being Scottish it was always drummed into me to enjoy England failing at football competitions and even though I never wanted them to win I still very much enjoyed watching their team play football.

The first competition I can fully remember was back in '86 and ever since then I enjoyed England's style of play,the last 2 games have been very boring with Roy opting for defence,defence and more defence.

The team selection is a real head scratcher,players that have did really well this season and would pose a threat left out for players that have played pretty poorly,yes I am pointing the finger at a couple of Liverpool players.

I see this as not a play for the future but as a step back,I can honestly see England not only not getting out of the group but maybe finishing with only 1 point ..maybe even none.

France if they bring their game could walk out with an easy 3-0 win..Sweden always play well against England(even the good England sides of the past)and with a proven striker I can see them winning 2-0.

Then comes the Ukraine,a host nation and if they need to get some sort of result to go further I could see them getting against England 1-1 or maybe even 1-0 to the Ukraine.

The team selection is a real head scratcher,players that have did really well this season and would pose a threat left out for players that have played pretty poorly,yes I am pointing the finger at a couple of Liverpool players

Huh? Carroll played reasonably well against Norway and Gerrard was MoM against Belgium. Kelly was hardly on the pitch against Norway, Johnson is still injured, Henderson made a cameo against Belgium. I'll give you Downing being average, but these matches were partially to look at all options, hence Ox started the Belgium game.

If we somehow won it playing dogged, battling football most of the media and fans still wouldn't be happy, ffs

What are you on about? You know if we won it by scraping through every round on penalties we'd be the greatest international side of all time according to the media.

The FA have zero power to implement any changes that require quotas on English players as they stupidly handing over everything to the Premier League.

No the FA has zero power to implement such quotas because the UK is a EU member. Hence the invention of "homegrown" regulations by the PL and UEFA for their competitions.

Ox should play central with Gerrard pushed up to the position where he's always played his best, even if he's not all that great nowadays.
Has Ox ever played central midfield are you just throwing random suggestions out there

Yea Oxlade played there a few times for us but he did so in the most forward/attacking position, i.e the one brett suggested Gerrard to play in. I can't see Oxlade being a good fit in a deeper more central position tbh. Also isn't that forward midfield position the one that Rooney will play in when he's back?

I thought Oxlade was deepish against AC Milan and tbh was awesome, looked classy and composed on the ball and was biting into tackles

Yeah he was, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Milan turned up like the game was already won and van Bommel (for once!) picked up a yellow early on which pretty much made him a passenger.

He was much less effective once Allegri sorted them out in the second half, although I've got a feeling he might've picked up an injury which could explain it - can't really remember.

I thought Oxlade was deepish against AC Milan and tbh was awesome, looked classy and composed on the ball and was biting into tackles

He was in there with Rosicky and Song, deepish wasn't really it tbh.

To dfgrigg: He was subbed for Chamakh in the second half when we pushed for an equaliser.

What are you on about? You know if we won it by scraping through every round on penalties we'd be the greatest international side of all time according to the media.

Nah, they'd be happy for a few days and then moan about how rubbish we played and we're the worst winners ever for the rest of eternity. I think the media enjoy the failures too

• SI Staff
Englands youth don't look to hot coming through, looking at this England squad compared to 10 years ago you can see they are a poorer team over the park. Guys like McEarchran not getting the chance to develop because of the club he is at, will end up a Danny Murphy type if he stays at Chelsea then he can come play for Scotland mwahahawha....

Crazy Scholes or Carrick were not taken tbh, continental type players you need in international tournaments.

This is the only mention of Danny Murphy in this thread.

I'd have him in the team me. Well-suited to international football.

Archived