A Fall From Grace...

sherm

The players noticed I was in high spirits as we travelled to Bari, and they even gave me some extra banter on the coach (although that stopped when I won at cards). The home side were looking to try and nick second place in the table, but we also realised that winning would secure our return to Serie A at the first attempt. We suffered a blow when Trezeguet was ruled out with a hamstring strain, so it meant a re-jig of the team, but I was always confident whatever team I picked these days. We started well, knocking the ball about well, and when Janczyk missed two early chances, I was wary that the nerves might get the better of us. However, my fears were allayed on 27 minutes, when Valeri Bojinov slipped in Nedved, and the Czech winger slid the ball home past the oncoming 'keeper. It was a nice goal, topped off with a decent finish, and it set us off onto the right track. There should have been more goals through the game, as Janczyk, Paro and Bojinov all missed good chances, but we held out for the one nil win, and secured our place back in Serie A.

"Well, we did it. We're back in the big time"

I had been summoned to the chairman's office on our return to Turin, and they were in the best of moods following our promotion

"We did Giovanni, but we still have work to do"

"Peter, come on. Celebrate a little?"

I laughed. I wasn't really in the mood for celebration. I did however, want to ask a few questions

"Giovanni, we need to discuss this now. Please, sit down"

The chairman must have known what was coming, as he raised his hands as he sat down

"I know what your going to say Peter, and let me answer you. There will be funds available for next season. I will allow you to strengthen the side"

"OK. And what are we doing about raising the attendances?"

"Ticket prices will remain the same. I have been dissapointed with the low figures this season, but with top flight football and reasonable prices, that should change"

It was actually a reasonable talk with the chairman, and he spoke sense, he made promises to further the club, and I felt like we had really made progress in the meeting

Going into the next game, I was in buoyant spirits, and I allowed the team to roam the field. They responded, and they ran Arezzo ragged. I had to bring in Labros Choutos for his first start for the club, and only his second appearance, due to a lack of options upfront, but it turned out to be a decent move. Pavel Nedved was certainly signing off in style, as he grabbed his second goal in as many games after 18 minutes, curling home a beautiful free-kick into the top corner. Over the next twenty minutes, we scored two more, sealing the points and bringing us closer to the title, but they were two superb goals. The first was a combination between Del Piero and Bojinov, with the Bulgarian laying off a lovely through ball, which Del Piero ran on to, and squared back for another imminent departure, Camoranesi, to slide into the unguarded goal. Del Piero got the third, hitting a thirty yard screamer into the net, and going in at the break 3-0 ahead was a comfortable advantage. The second half was more of the same for us, as we dominated, and we rammed it home to a 5-0 win. Robert Kovac's bullet header from a Palladino corner was the fourth, before Choutos scored a fifth on 72 minutes, losing his marker in the box before flicking the ball home with the outside of his left foot. It was one of the best performances of our season, and combined with Napoli's 1-1 draw at Treviso, meant we needed just a point for the title we so richly deserved

"Boss, you got a minute?"

Valeri Bojinov had popped his head around my office after training

"Sure thing. What's up Val?"

The striker moved into the room, sitting opposite me

"Well, I was just wanting to talk about my co-ownership. I was just wondering..."

"Valeri, let me stop you there. I have every intention of buying out your other half from Fiorentina. You have been a superb asset this season, and I want to make you a permanent Juve player"

The strikers face lit up, and I knew he was a man I wanted to keep at the club

"Boss, that's brilliant. You know I love playing here, and I promise I won't let you down"

--

With our impending, and almost assured Championship win, I was delighted to see the highest away following all season, as 2,345 fans made their way to our next game, which would see us take on Genoa. They were in third, and looking to snatch the second automatic promotion spot, and also had the dangerous Luciano Figueroa, so I knew it wouldn't be an easy test.

Once again, we started well, Camoranesi slipping us into a ninth minute lead, but the home side clearly hadn't read the script, as they headed into half time ahead. Figueroa headed the equaliser, rising above Kovac and Boumsong, but he capitalised on a Kovac mistake just before the break, the Croatian defender slipping, allowing the striker in and he rounded Mirante and slotted the ball into the open goal. I just gave the lads a 'dont let yourselves down' pep talk at half time, and the players listened, and on 75 minutes, we got our reward, a Palladino cross finding it all the way to the back post, where Camoranesi jinked inside and fired a left footed shot into the bottom corner. I was looking at my watch for what seemed like an eternity on the sidelines, shouting and jumping about like a madman, but when the whistle went, I turned round and was caught in a huge embrace from Ray Clemence. We had done it. We had won the Serie B title

I allowed the players a couple of days off to celebrate, and be with their families, while myself and Ray Clemence enjoyed a good drink after the win. The next morning, I was eating breakfast when I got a phonecall from Stuart Pearce

"Well done on the title. Celebrate like you used to?"

I laughed. My antics were still legendary then

"No chance. I'm too old for that now. Thanks though. How's things with City?"

"Not good. We have to win three of our last four, and hope that others around us lose"

"Well stick at it mate. Oh by the way, I'm in Manchester in the summer. We need to catch up properly"

"Sure. Hope you're not here to poach any of my players though?"

We both laughed, knowing that I wasn't there for that. We chatted some more before I hung up, and I'd literally just replaced the receiver when the phone rang again

"Hello"

"Congratulations darling"

The voice instantly brought me into a huge smile

"Hey sweetheart. Thakyou. How are you? Job OK?"

"I'm fine. Can't get used to the miserable weather just yet, but I'm sure I'll manage. Everyone at work is so lovely though"

More conversation with Maria followed. It was lovely to hear her voice, and it certainly cheered me up. Not that I had any reason to be unhappy as it was

It was soon back down to the grind, and back to business, as we welcomed Treviso to the Olimpico. Having secured the title, we had arranged for it to be flown out to the ground so we could parade it to our fans, so I was determined for the lads to ensure a win so we had cause for celebration. They didn't let me down, and goals from Raffaele Palladino, on 37 minutes, before a brace from Labros Choutos in the second half saw us secure the points comfortably. I was upset we couldn't keep a clean sheet, conceding a goal to Alberto Gissi just four minutes from time, but it made no difference and we sealed the points. Lifting that trophy was a special feeling, and one I was proud to be experiencing for the first time, especially with this group of players. It was just a shame that we had three more games and couldn't enjoy it properly. I did however, have one more goal to reach for the season...

That goal was two fold. The first was to finish the season unbeaten, a feat which was three games away. The second was to reach 100 points, which required three wins from those games. We had our next step as we travelled to Spezia and despite a poor, tired looking performance, we were indebted to a Labros Choutos goal which sealed us a 1-0 win, and ended April on a high

April 2007 Results

(Serie B unless stated)

Bari 0-1 Juventus

(Nedved 27)

Arezzo 0-5 Juventus

(Nedved 18 ; Camoranesi 28 ; Del Piero 38 ; Kovac 54 ; Choutos 72)

Genoa 2-2 Juventus

(Camoranesi 9, 75 ; Figueroa 20, 45+1)

Juventus 3-1 Treviso

(Palladino 37 ; Choutos 54, 78 ; Gissi 86)

Spezia 0-1 Juventus

(Choutos 20)

League Position ; 1st, 95 points

(Juventus win Serie B title)

With our hard work done for the season, it was time to let some of the fringe players have a go in the final couple of games of the season, with the likes of Digard, Larsen, Piccolo and Molinaro all getting a chance. The race for second was getting interesting too, with Napoli in pole position to join us in Serie A.

"Peter, come on in"

I had been summoned by the board to a meeting to discuss the finances for next season, so I walked in nor expecting too much

"Now, we feel that this season has been a success, but we just wonder what you feel the team can achieve in Serie A"

"Well, there's a decent core of players, and some good players coming in, so with the right signings, I think we can challenge for the Champions League spots"

There were nods of approvals all round, and now was the key question

"However, we need to spend money if we want to compete"

The board, surprisingly, concurred with this, and they said they would free up a considerable amount for the next season.

--

Our final home game of the season saw our biggest crowd turn up to watch us parade the trophy in front of them, as 34,256 saw us demolish Bologna with a ruthless and clinical 3-0 win. Labros Choutos continued his recent good form, as he netted a second minute header, but he should have scored more in the 1st half, as he wasted three more chances, including a glorious one on one opportunity, but he was saved in the second half, as goals from Palladino and an own goal from Fresi sealed it. The win took us to 98 points, meaning that we needed just to win the final game to advance to 100 points, an achievement that would mean we broke the points record for the division

That final game was an away trip to Cesena, and we finished the season off in fine style. Trezeguet was back from injury, and looking to grab his fortieth goal of the season, and he did just that on 29 minutes, racing through the defence to slide the ball home past the 'keeper. Four minutes later, he had number two, rising highest above everybody to guide home into the corner of the goal. The second half saw much of the same, as we dominated the game, and goals from Digard, on 67 minutes, and Del Piero five minutes from the end sealed our title winning campaign and sent us off on a very high note indeed

May 2007 Results

(Serie B unless stated)

Juventus 3-0 Bologna

(Choutos 2 ; Palladino 41; Fresi O.G 70)

Cesena 0-4 Juventus

(Trezeguet 29, 33 ; Digard 62 ; Del Piero pen 85)

League Position ; 1st (Champions)

---

It was nice to see all the players rewarded for their fantastic season, with Trezeguet, Palladino and Buffon all included in the team of the year, while Trezeguet picked up awards for top goalscorer, and player of the year, with Giorgio Chiellini picking up the young player of the season award. I received the Serie B manager of the year gong, and I was delighted more for the players, as I was pleased to see them recognised.

"Peter, do you have a minute?"

The chairman had popped his head into the training room, interrupting my conversation with physio Leonardo Biglia, so I advanced outside to speak to him

"What's up Giovanni?"

"I just thought that I should tell you in person that your request to advance the training facilities has been denied. We simply cannot afford it at the moment"

"Oh. OK. Thankyou"

With that curt reply, I walked back into the trainers room. I was starting to get really down about the lack of ambition from the board, and it was, in truth, beginning to **** me right off.

Juventus Squad Statistics

(2006/07 Season)

Gianluigi Buffon

[31 games, 26 clean sheets, 7.45]

The stats speak for themselves, and Gianluigi was unbelievable for us between the sticks. 26 clean sheets in 31 games is a wonderful record, and without the injuries, I think he would have had a record breaking season. Will be a crucial player to our plans for our return to top flight football, and I have offered him a new four year deal just to prove how important he is

Antonio Mirante

[16, 10, 6.94]

When Gigi got injured, Antonio stepped in and to be fair, did pretty well. Nothing special, but he was consistent, and he did the simple things well. He knows that next season he will again play as understudy to Buffon, but at least I know he can step into the game when needed be. Just what you need in a number two 'keeper

--

Felice Piccolo

[4(1), 1, 7.20]

Due to the excellent form of our defenders, Felice didn't play as much as I think he would have liked. However, when he did, I couldn't fault his performance. Solid at the back, good in the air, and quick to anticipate the tackle. If I needed to play him again, I didn't have any concerns, and I felt comfortablehaving him as a back-up in the squad

Alessandro Birindelli

[10(1), 0, 7.18]

Alessandro was the experienced campaigner of the defence, and I used him more in a coaching role than I did on the field, but when he did play, he was more than adequate. Cool headed, calm and a great influence on the rest of the team, I will be putting him through his UEFA coaching badges this coming season

Jonathan Zebina

[33, 1, 7.48]

Awesome. That is the only word I can use to describe Johnny's contributionthis season. Picked up a few knocks along the way, but when he played he was instrumental in our tremendous defensive record. Signed a three year extension to his contract January, and it will be as vital an extension as any that will be signed

Jean-Alain Boumsong

[39(1), 0, 7.40]

Zebina's regular partner, and another man who had a superb season. Has had his fair share of stick over the years, particularly when he was at Newcastle, but I can't complain about his performances for me. Solid, assertive and best tackling stats of the season, he will be an essential member of the side in Serie A

Robert Kovac

[17(1), 2, 7.39]

Solid back-up defender, 18 games in which he was excellent, and he realises that he is simply a back-up. Obviously not happy, but he has been ultra professional when given his chance, which I can't fault him for. Has twelve months left on his contract and will be allowed to see it out

Igor Tudor

[11, 1, 7.00]

The big Croatian, like his fellow countryman Kovac, was a mere back-up, but unlike Kovac, he was more vocal about it, quite positiive that he should be one of the starters. My argument to him was that I cannot drop the starting two when their record is that good. He wasn't happy, and is likely to be sold

Federico Balzaretti

[31(1), 1, 7.28]

Was superb at full back, making the position his own, and will again be an essential part of the squad next year. Has plenty of pace, can time his tackles as well as anybody and will bomb forward as much as going backwards. That means he is the first choice, and it will take something special to dislodge him

Giorgio Chiellini

[34(1), 1, 7.40]

Giorgio was, like Federico, an essential part of the back four, but unfortunately he was sold to Chelsea (over my head, I might add) and will not be with us next season. The £12 million would help me find a replacement but I won't be getting all of it most likely. It's a blow to be losing Giorgio, but we'll have to cope with it

Gianpaolo Bellini

[5, 1, 7.40]

Was signed as a back-up for Chiellini, but with his impending departure, he will get more chances in the first team next season. Is a steady, if unspectacular left back, and though he doesn't bomb forward as much as I would like, he does the ideal job in his defensive duties. This makes him the likely starter for next season

Kevin Larsen

[9(7), 2, 7.19]

Did fine when he got a chance in the side, and though they were limited, he was ultimately professional. Is a talented young lad, with lots of ability, and he also has the ability to find the net. Great left foot, and will be a star for years to come

Giuliano Giannichedda

[34(4), 1, 7.42]

Was the experienced man of the centre of midfield, and his coolness, aswell as his calm headed personality, allowed him to get through 38 games, and I'll be honest, he was almost flawless. I can't remember a game that he was poor, or even made a mistake, and though he is the wrong side of 30, he will certainly be a key part of next season's plans

Matteo Paro

[29(6), 4, 7.37]

Matteo is a superb little player. I think he is possibly the most natural gifted footballer in the squad. Can pass onto a sixpence, picking it out from anywhere, has terrific vision, and can hit a decent shot too, so next year, he will get as many, if not more chances to shine

Cristiano Zanetti

[22(3), 1, 7.12]

Was reserve to Matteo and Giuliano, but never let me down in the 25 appearances he made. Solid, reliable, and always there at the end, he was always the best performer in training, the first one there, and last to leave. Will probably not get an extension, as I don't think he's cut out for Serie A, but will still be used as a squad player

Mauro Camoranesi

[23(2), 4, 7.72]

Mauro is another departing player, leaving for Chelsea in the summer, but he is leaving with a bang. He had some sparkling end of season form, with goals and assists, and it helped us in our title win. I'll always be grateful to Mauro for his contribution, but I felt the time was right for him to move on

Pavel Nedved

[20(6), 7, 6.92]

If I'm honest, Pavel was disappointing. He had the odd good game, and did chip in with some important goals, but he never reached the form he had shown the last few years, and it was this that allowed me to sell him to Real Betis. I just felt he wouldn't hack it in the top flight anymore. Departs with my thanks though

Valeri Bojinov

[22(10), 11, 7.34]

Valeri was superb, a real star for the season, and I will be doing everything in my power to keep him here. Is co-owned between us and Fiorentina, but has expressed his desire to stay here, and believe me, I want to keep him here. Was superb when he played on the right hand side, or upfront, and his goalscoring was also crucial in our title winning campaign

Alessandro Del Piero

[42(3), 8, 7.27]

The stalwart of the club, and like a fine wine, only gets better with age. May not have been as prolific as he once was, with just 8 goals, but his mere presence and sheer ability on the pitch was a key factor in the rest of the team's performances. Club captain, and he will finish his career at the club he loves

Raffaele Palladino

[18(11), 4, 7.34]

Raffaele was the surprise of the season for me. He stepped up when he needed to, making several goals with his tricky wing play, and his fine form earnt him a new contract. Great going forward, and never had any problems getting back to help the team. Will be given a chance in Serie A to prove himself

--

Dawid Janczyk

[9(6), 3, 7.13]

I was a little disappointed in Dawid. He was ok on the field, doing the job well enough, but he wasn't as prolific as I would have liked. Three goals in fifteen games isn't a great return, but he is still young and can only improve and learn fromthe likes of Del Piero and Trezeguet

Labros Choutos

[2(3), 5, 7.00]

Signed as cover, and grabbed a goal a game during our run in at the end of the season. I won't be making his signature a permanent one, as I don't think he is quite good enough for Serie A, but he certainly made a good contribution to our season

David Trezeguet

[33(5), 41, 7.68]

David was, well, magnificent. Goals, goals and more goals came from him, and they came from all parts. He was a phenomenon through the campaign, and he will be crucial in Serie A. The Frenchman would probably have got close to 50 goals had he not got injured, but 41 was still a great return

The summer break started on June 1st, with the return date scheduled for July 3rd, so the players had a month to celebrate, to be with their families and to enjoy a break, and I was due to fly to Manchester myself, to spend some time with Maria. She was really enjoying the job, and I was pleased to hear that she was settling in. My flight was in just over a weeks time, so while I packed, I also kept one eye on my laptop and the footballing world.

Milan had come from 7 points behind to snatch the Serie A title on the final day, beating Parma 4-0 while rivals Inter could only draw 2-2 at Torino. In Holland, PSV had claimed victory, while Bayern Munich strolled to the Bundesliga title. France saw a shock, as Sochaux maintained their surprising form, winning the title by just a point from Lyon. In England though, they were certainly treated to an exciting season, as both the title and all three relegation places were decided on the final day. Liverpool beat rivals Arsenal to claim the trophy ahead of Chelsea and Manchester United, while Sunderland, Watford and Sheffield United all suffered the heartbreak of relegation. It certainly showed that football is the greatest game, the excitement levels second to none and fans treated to games and goals galore

"What time is your flight?"

Maria had phoned to get flight details, so that she could arrange to meet me at the airport

"If it's on time, I get to Manchester at 6.45"

"That's not too bad. I'll get there for 6, get something to eat"

"OK. Hows things at work?"

She followed with a twenty minute conversation about how good her job was. I was pleased that she was getting on well at work, I really was, but it killed me that she was in a different city. I hated not seeing her, but I knew she was pursuing her career, and I supported that

--

I had spoken to Ray Clemence before I flew out to Manchester, and he had told me that he was looking out for new training ideas and new schedules to impart into the team for the forthcoming season, which was always good, and was one of the reasons I always rated Ray so highly in my plans.

It was strange landing back in Manchester. I had spent so much time around there, when I played for Rochdale, and Hyde, that it was almost like returning to my home. I waited for my case, before coming through the gate, smiling as soon as I saw Maria standing there. We embraced for a couple of minutes, and it was like seeing a long lost relative all over again. I had missed her tremendously, and I felt like she had missed me too.

I returned to Turin a week later, having spent a tremendous week with Maria. We had wined, dined, spent some quality time together, and really just enjoyed each other's company. It was heart wrenching to leave her, as I was unsure when I would see her again, but we had vowed to speak regularly and she convinced me that I needed to return to Juventus and give it my all. However, neither of us would be prepared for what was to happen in the next few days.

I returned to work a lot earlier than anybody else, as I wanted to get myself a head start on the business of preparing for pre-season, and for the arrival of the new players, and it was when I was sat in my office, working, that I got a phonecall that shocked me to my very core

"Hello"

"Ah hello. I was wondering if I could speak to a Mr. Gigli please?"

I let out a little chuckle. Do these people not know when pre-season started?

"I'm afraid Mr. Gigli has not returned from holiday yet. Can I help you at all?"

"Well, that depends who you are?"

Cheeky get. I felt like slamming the phone down, but decided not to

"I'm Peter Molloy, manager of the club"

"Oh Mr. Molloy. Actually you can help me. How do you feel about the club searching for a new manager?"

I held the phone away from my ear for a second, looking confusedly into space

"I...I beg your pardon? New manager? You must be mistaken?"

I could hear the rustling of papers

"Well, according to our sources, Mr. Gigli himself has said he feels the club needs a high profile manager to take them forward"

My blood began to boil. I was furious at what I had heard, and immediately had the urge to phone the chairman there and then. Instead, I would wait until he was back, which was scheduled to be two days later

--

Giovanni had returned, and had been sat in his office less than an hour, before I burst in, a look of fury on my face

"Giovanni, I think we need to talk, don't you?"

The chairman sat, looking up at me. I think he knew what I was about to say, and was resigned to it

"OK, sit down Peter"

He motioned to the chair in front of him, and I sat down staring a hole through him

"What's the matter?"

"Are you joking? I get a phone call from some journalist, asking what I think about your search for a new manager? Are you serious?"

"Right, well, let me explain. First of all..."

"Explain my arse. You use me to get you back up, and then as soon as it comes to the big time, you think I'm not the right man? Don't you think that's a little out of order?"

"Well, erm, I don't think it was quite like that..."

"You know what Giovanni, save it. I think you will find things might go your way after all. In that envelope..."

I threw an envelope across the desk to him, and as it landed in his lap, he knew just what it was

"...you will find my resignation. I hope you find the right candidate for the club, and I hope you treat him better than you did me"

"Peter, wait..."

"Goodbye Giovanni. I wish we weren't parting this way, but this is how it has to be"

With that, I left the stadium, got in my car, and with a final look back, drove away from the Olimpico for the last time.

Archived