The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I nearly cracked up last night and called Setanta when the signal came through for Celtic TV before the Rangers one, shouting i didn't subscribe to this pish and so on.

Then i read that you get the other station as part of the deal seems pretty strange, i wonder if this is how they are going to reach their trigger levels by counting the entire subs. for both channels and not just individualy.

Setanta know they wont reach the trigger level of 89,000 subscribers because of the way they've set this system up

It shouldnt be a minimum contract channel, the Rangers/Celtic channels are only on for about 6hrs a night (at the moment of course) and the SPL Live/Rangers/Celtic TV should be on a "buy whenever you want" basis, ie if you see Setanta are showing 4 good games in the month of October, then you should be able to subscribe for that time, then you can cancel it when it's up icon14.gif or even if you want to buy it for one game, that should be available as well - I bet they'd break even easily with that sort of scheme.

The Rangers/Celtic channels should be the same idea, you can try it for a month to see if you like it and if you dont, you shouldnt have to pay for 12 months in advance icon13.gif

Guest sav112

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Only on Rangers World i think. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah had a look at spurs as well just to make sure as I got the Fulham game ok from FFC web site. It’s a pity that the Gers radio moved to a pay site, that I’ll no pay for.

Oh well I’ll read about it in the papers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers have taken Liverpool defender Gregory Vignal on trial.

The 23-year-old Frenchman does not feature in new Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez' plans.

Vignal spent the second half of last season on loan at Espanyol and has failed to win a regular place at Liverpool since arriving in 2000.

But the left-back, who will spend the next few days at Rangers' Murray Park, does have Premiership and Champions League experience.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> LIVERPOOL left back Gregory Vignal has joined Rangers on trial and the 23-year-old Frenchman could even play some part against Tottenham at Ibrox this evening.

Vignal, who is just under 6ft, has made 20 first-team appearances since joining the Anfield club from Montpellier in September 2000 – including Champions League games against Dortmund, Dynamo Kiev, Spartak Moscow and Boavista and English Premiership games against Everton, Newcastle and Spurs.

However, former boss Gerard Houllier farmed him out to Rennes then Espanyol last season in a bid to gain vital top team experience.

Alex McLeish and his coaching staff will run the rule over the pacey defender at Murray Park over the next few days and he could bag some game time on the hallowed turf this evening and the Newcastle tournament at St James’ Park this weekend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the fact you effectively subscribe to both rangers and celtic tv at the same time whether you want to or not doesn't do much to dissuage the perception the two clubs are effectively one big cartel.

we're even playing all the same teams this pre-season

Good first half from the boys, Nacho is looking amazing, chasing everything down, could easily be 4 if it wasnt for a couple of great saves from Robinson, Spurs looked dangerous but losing Keane has damaged them a fair bit.

Very encouraging start, dont think anybody has played poorly so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

If you lot aren't careful, you'll start thinking friendly's are meaningful games icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its all to do with confidance and if we win ur friendlies then we go into the season on a high.... especially when Celtic are getting pumped icon_cool.gif

Also Dado and Novo look to be clicking early, which is a good thing.

Guest Patrick Collins

In Novo you got a player who was willing to turn down better prospects and more money(?) to play for a team he liked.

On the other hand, we're getting Senegalese Whingers icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>will be awesome to see that come crashing down when camara gets a hat-trick in a certain game at the end of august <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, NOW I know you are definitely playing CM icon14.gif

and Novo wanted to go to us because he had a better chance at 1st team football and wouldnt be seen as a replacement to "Henke" if Nacho didnt shape up, he'd have been called "crap" within a few months just like Burchill/Miller/Lynch/Crainey and so many others that were Celtic heroes once upon a time icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>will be awesome to see that come crashing down when camara gets a hat-trick in a certain game at the end of august <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, NOW I know you are definitely playing CM icon14.gif

and Novo wanted to go to us because he had a better chance at 1st team football and wouldnt be seen as a replacement to "Henke" if Nacho didnt shape up, he'd have been called "crap" within a few months just like Burchill/Miller/Lynch/Crainey and so many others that were Celtic heroes once upon a time icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

burchill was never a celtic hero. the media went crazy about him yeah but it was fairly obvious he was pretty limited.

i thought novo wanted to play for you because he was a rangers fan as a boy or something icon_wink.gif

Rangers 2-0 Spurs it ends icon_smile.gif Nacho and Dado are looking a great striking pair, and Vignal had a good half as a trialist, I wonder if he'll get a start against Newcastle on Saturday icon_smile.gif I hope so, cause Vanoli is scaring me at times icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo22:

Camara is bollox, and your paying £25k p/w for him, If he doesnt get it his way hw'll be grying like a big baby ala Viduka, Cadete, DiCanio..... I've got my fingers crossed that you sign him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pfft. 25k p/w is nothing to us. we're not rangers who would go bankrupt paying that.

i mean even bobby petta is on 20k p/w, and our wage bill is small compared to turnover.

This is the squad we have taken to the torunamnet in guernsey, we play PSG tonight and Japan and Boca Junoirs at a later date..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thomas Brighton, Brian McLean, Marc Kalenga, Bajram Fetai, Gary McKenzie, Charlie Adam, Robert Davidson, Lee Robinson, Ross McCormack, Steven Campbell, Warren Jacmot, Callum Reidford, Brian Gilmour, Scott Agnew, John Johnston, Alex McColl, Alan Lowing, Paul Emslie.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest sav112

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo22:

Heres the link to http://www.mtscomputing.co.uk/secureAsx.asx troops icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This link work? I should have came back on …..

Thanks lads for the brief on the game. Who the hell is Vignal?

Another good win and was it the full spurs team as promised?

Was'nt at the game as i cba forking our extra money after paying £390 for a season ticket :/

but heres a match report

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Spurs' Barclays Premiership preparation appeared to have been dealt a major blow when Robbie Keane was stretchered off during the 2-0 defeat at Rangers.

Republic of Ireland international Keane was hurt when Marvin Andrews slid in to block a 27th-minute shot and medics needed to strap up his damaged right leg before carrying him away for treatment.

Rangers had already taken the lead by this point through Nacho Novo, who took advantage of a slip by Anthony Gardner to sprint clear and fire past Paul Robinson.

Fellow new signing Dado Prso made it 2-0 in first-half stoppage-time after a touchline error by Stephen Carr had allowed Peter Lovenkrands to make an equally speedy beeline for the box and set up the Croatian for a tap-in at the back post.

The second half was not as painful for the Londoners but there was no disguising they were well beaten by a Rangers side intent on wrestling the title back out of Celtic's grasp.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam F:

If anyone watched it, how did Spurs play? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spurs were ok, Robinson kept you in the game with a few cracking saves, as Gary said they lost it a bit whene Keane went off and Ricketts moved up to partner Defoe however at times they looked a decent team ands Defoe was looking pretty sharp.

Cheers, wanted a decent match report as the spurs website reports are never that accurate. Hopefully the loss of Keane won't affect us too much as Kanoute should be fit soon. Sounds like you were the better team (although you have a bit more fitness then us icon_wink.gif ) Anyway, I hope you boys do get the title of Celtic. Good to see Prso score

NEW BOYS ON THE MARK ONCE AGAIN

Rangers 2 (Novo 24, Prso 45) Tottenham Hotspur 0

Attendance 35,750

Rangers made it four wins out of four with a 2-0 win

over Tottenham Hotspur at Ibrox tonight thanks to

goals from the new striking duo of Nacho Novo and Dado

Prso.

There was a healthy 35,750 attendance (including a

strong travelling support) to welcome the home side

who fielded five new signings in the starting line-up,

and who also named French full-back Gregory Vignal

from Liverpool on the substitute’s bench.

Rangers wore their new outfit of red shirts, navy blue

shorts and black socks.

Prso almost brought the house down in nineteen minutes

with a flashing header from a Paulo Vanoli corner that

goalkeeper Paul Robinson turned over.

Five minutes later the opening goal duly arrived when

a long ball from Fernando Ricksen eluded Anthony

Gardiner releasing Novo through on goal. The Spaniard,

rapidly becoming a hero with the Light Blue legions,

expertly found the net despite the acute angle.

Spurs suffered a serious injury blow in 29 minutes

when Robbie Keane was stretchered off after causing

himself some damage whilst shooting for goal – his

effort being blocked by Marvin Andrews. Keane had been

booed throughout his brief appearance, presumably

because of his Irish Republic connections, but he did

receive a sympathetic round of applause as he departed

the field.

New Ibrox Captain Stefan Klos had to be on his guard

eight minutes later when he held a curling twenty-yard

effort from Germaine Defoe from a Rohan Ricketts pass.

Rangers had the bulk of the pressure however –

Robinson defying Peter Lovenkrands from a Chris Burke

free-kick in forty minutes. The Danish forward twice

had headers blocked – firstly by the goalkeeper then

when Gardiner cleared off the line.

The second goal duly arrived on the stroke of

half-time however when Lovenkrands skinned Stephen

Carr wide on the left before crossing for Prso to net

from close range.

Gregory Vignal replaced Paulo Vanoli at the interval.

Novo almost made it 3-0 five minutes into the

second-half when he shot over from a Lovenkrands pass,

then on the hour saw his volley from a Burke corner

blocked.

Both Novo and Prso received standing ovations when

they were substituted by Shota Arveladze and Steven

Thompson respectively.

The one sour note of the evening came in 72 minutes

when Germaine Defoe was yellow-carded for a body-check

on Chris Burke, but the youngster almost had the last

laugh ten minutes later with a solo run and chip that

drifted just over.

It would not be Rangers without an injury scare

however – Lovenkrands suffering an ankle knock in 89

minutes, being replaced by Maurice Ross.

The final whistle brought a satisfactory evening to a

conclusion, with Nacho Novo name as ‘Man of the

Match’.

RANGERS Klos; Ricksen (Hutton 82), Vanoli (Vignal 45);

Boumsong, Andrews, A. Rae; Burke, Hughes, Prso

(Thompson 69), Novo (Arveladze 65), Lovenkrands (Ross

89)

UNUSED SUBS Khizanishvili, G. Smith, Malcolm

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Robinson; Carr, Bunjavcevic; Davis

(Docherty 77), Gardiner (McKie 82), King; Ricketts,

Mendes (Mabizela 63), Defoe, Keane (Marney 29 {Hughes

74}), Jackson

UNUSED SUBS Keller

REFEREE Mike McCurry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

Keane has suspected ankle ligament damage icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a shame icon_frown.gif It wasnt anyones fault just one of those things though, hope he makes it back ASAP you look a different team when he is playing

Team photo and squad numbers 2004/05 now on FM Rangers....

1 Stefan Klos

2 Fernando Ricksen

3 Craig Moore

4 Jean-Alain Boumsong (New)

5 Marvin Andrews (New)

7 Shota Arveladze

8 Alex Rae (New)

9 Dado Pršo (New)

10 Nacho Novo

11 Gavin Rae

12 Robert Malcolm

14 Dragan Mladenovic (New)