Braveheart - A Whole New Meaning

sherm

Scotland. A nation of hope, a nation of bravehearts. However, when it comes to football, it has been a nation full of disappointment. The 1954 World Cup was their first major tournament, and it was, simply, a disaster. A 1-0 defeat to Austria, followed by a 7-0 defeat to Hungary and a shocking tournament for the Tartan Army. Things didn't get any better during the remainder of the 1950's or the 1960's, but the 70's saw a more prominent Scotland. The 1974 World Cup, in Germany, saw an impressive performance from Willie Ormond's side, as they finished the tournament unbeaten. They beat Zaire 2-0, but following draws with Brazil and Yugoslavia, they went out having only won 2-0 against the African minnows. They qualified again in 1978, but unfortunately they had the insane Ally MacLeod as manager, who vowed that Scotland would get a medal. Needless to say, they didn't, and were eliminated at the group stage.

When Jock Stein was appointed, the nation was full of hope. The man who had guided Celtic to ultimate success was seen as the saviour of Scottish football, and when they qualified for the 1982 World Cup, from a group that included Sweden, Portugal, Israel and Northern Ireland. Once again, they were eliminated on goal difference, after a win against New Zealand (5-2), a defeat against a superb Brazil side (4-1), which contained the likes of Socrates, Eder, Zico and Falcao, and a draw with the Soviet Union (2-2). Qualification for the 1986 World Cup was secured, but following the tragic circumstances, it wasn't the best moment in the nation's history. Following a 1-1 draw with Wales, while the nation celebrated, manager Jock Stein suffered a heart attack, and he died in hospital shortly afterwards. The tournament was rendered unimportant, and elimination was inevitable.

A fifth successive World Cup in 1990 was on the horizon, but once again, they were eliminated in the first round. They also qualified for the European Championships in 1992, the first time ever, but again, they failed to negotiate the group stages. Andy Roxburgh resigned partway through the qualification campaign when it became abundant that Scotland could not qualify for the 1994 World Cup, but his replacement Craig Brown did brilliantly. He guided Scotland to the 1996 European Championships, in England. Morale was raised after a gritty 0-0 draw against Holland, but the 2-0 defeat against England dampened that. However, with England 4-0 ahead against Holland, and Scotland 1-0 up against Switzerland, both sides were in a position to qualify. A Patrick Kluivert goal put a stop to that though, and Holland went through instead.

Since 2000, they have been poor, and failed to qualify for any major tournaments. Berti Vogts was appointed (the only foreign manager to manage Scotland), amidst a lot of upset and indignation amongst the loyal Scots. They were appalled at a German managing the national side, and felt it brought shame and scourge upon the country. That however, remains to be seen.

May 21st, 2001

Rugby Park, Kilmarnock

Sir John Orr ; "Today is a monumental day for the club, as we are proud to announce our new manager. Please put your hands together for the new manager of Kilmarnock Football Club, Sandy McGough"

The waiting press gave him a round of applause, eager to ask questions to the new man at the helm

Sandy McGough ; "Thankyou all for that generous welcome. And thankyou to Sir John for giving me this opportunity. This club means a lot to me, as it was where I was brought up watching the game, aswell as where I spent 11 years of my playing career, so I am delighted to be given the chance to manage here at Rugby Park"

Press ; "Sandy, welcome to the club. Do you have any goals or objectives set aside?"

SM ; "Well I'm not going to sit here and say that we will win the League and Cup double in our first season, as that would be naive of me, but I do have one particular objective"

Press ; "What is that then Sandy?"

SM ; "Well, I am a proud Scot, and I believe that this great nation has not had the experience and results it deserves. So, in that essence, I am determined to bring this great nation back to where it belongs. So, I will be buying only Scottish players for Kilmarnock"

There was a ripple of excitement, and a lot of shock reverbarating around the press room.

Press ; "What about the foreign players currently at the club?"

SM ; "Any player who isn't Scottish will be sold to make room for my all Scottish theory. I believe it will be a revolution and I believe it will put this club, and this country on the map again"

Press ; "Sir John? What do you feel about the proposal from your new manager?"

SJO ; "Sandy told me about his plan when we spoke, and I am 100% behind the idea. I would not have employed Sandy if I did not think it was a plausible idea for him to achieve, and I believe he is at the place he can put it into practice"

My first training session was more of a note-taking exercise, as the squad were looking to impress their new boss, but with the foreign players knowing they had no chance of making an impact, they were just looking for a move away from the club

"I still remember walking into the first training session. It must have been hard for the likes of Jerome Vareille and Frederic Dindeleux, knowing they were not going to have a future under me. I pulled them all to one side though, to tell them that I would not stop them from moving to any club. The Scottish players though, just wanted to impress me and earn their place in the side"

The most impressive of the bravehearts were big striker Gary McCutcheon, defender Garry Hay and midfielder Iain Durrant. The former Rangers man had lots of experience in the top flight, and as club captain, he would be a key part of my team. I knew I had to raise funds for the strengthening of the squad, and to do this I was keen to sell on as quickly as possible. It didn't take too long either, as Liverpool signed Jesus Garcia Sanjuan, for £1.4 million, while Frederic Dindeleux moved to Lille for £875k. That was a decent chunk towards the kitty, but the first few signings I made were money savers. The first move was to secure a short term loan deal for Wycombe winger Jermaine McSporran, aswell as bring in the experienced Billy McKinlay to shore up the midfield. I had decided against managing the side in the pre-season games, and allowed my assistant and coaching staff free reign, but I was still keen to get regular reports.

The two new signings both went into the squad for the opening pre-season match, which saw a trip to East Fife. I was pleasantly assured that the players were terrific, as they came away with a comfortable and professional 3-0 win. The opener was set up by young Paul Di Giacomo, sliding the ball into the box for Craig Dargo to control, swivel and fire into the bottom corner. Dargo should have had another not long after, heading straight into the arms of the 'keeper, but the lead was doubled just before the break, Andy McLaren curling home from the edge of the box. Seven second half substitutions slowed the game down a little bit, but another goal did come, a McLaren cross finding McCutcheon, who rose highest to head home and seal the win.

More transfers came (and went), as defender Stevie Caldwell joined for no fee. It was a particularly good signing, as he was young and had plenty of ability, and he would shore up the centre of defence. He was, however, joined by two signings from the lower divisions. Brechin's winger Charlie King signed a 3 year deal, for an £80k fee, while Queen of the South's versatile defender Andrew Aitken made his £140k switch. Both men would prove to be useful back-up options should they be needed, although Caldwell was earmarked for a starting position and a spot in the main side for the coming season. More money came into the club too, as three of the foreign legion found new clubs. Stoke signed defender Sean Hessey, forking out a cool £1 million, while French forward Jerome Vareille made a £2.5 million move to his homeland, Metz the side willing to pay. Finally, another Frenchman, Christophe Cocard, moved to Basle for £425k, meaning the bank balance looked healthy and there was over £8 million to spend on new players.

With the transfers activity happening so quickly, Sandy hardly had a moment to himself, so when the side jetted off to Italy for a three match tour, he stayed back in Scotland to deal with more business. The opening game of the tour saw a good solid 2-0 win against Catania, with the goals coming in the second half from Mark Canning and Gary McCutcheon. However, a bad looking knee injury to Iain Durrant marred the game, and it would turn out to be a knock which would keep him out for the first two months of the season, a big blow when we didn't have the biggest squad in the world anyway. It had been a solid, if unspectacular performance, but the next game was, well, superb. Pisa were a Serie C side, so I expected a win, but to win the game 4-1 was completely unexpected. Craig Dargo got us off to a great start, opening the scoring after just four minutes, heading home a Di Giacomo corner, before goals from Mark Reilly (26) and Paul Di Giacomo (41) sent us in at half time 3-0 ahead. The home side managed to get themselves back into the game, and Federico Lazienti pulled a goal back, jicking into the box and sliding home, but we sealed the win late on, a defensive howler allowing Dargo to nip in and seal his second of the game with a delicate chipped finish

The final tour match saw a trip to the Stadio Olimpico, and a game against potential title challengers Lazio, and it was a game where we were well and truly demolished. Hernan Crespo was sensational, bagging three of the hosts four goals, and our central defence just could not handle the Argentinian forward. I was disappointed to have lost 4-0, but to lose to such a good side wasn't too disappointing. Heading back to Scotland, there was just one more pre-season game to play, but I had been busy trying to secure more signatures. I had been turned down by Mark Kerr, Simon Rusk, John Paul McBride, Paul Gallacher and David McCracken, and I was starting to get frustrated in my search for players. While the side welcomed Falkirk to Rugby Park, I was still busy in the transfer market, and they rounded off a fairly good pre-season results wise with a fourth win from five, a battling 1-0 win thanks to a McCutcheon header. I couldn't complain about the effort the boys had shown, but with the opening game less than a week away, I felt the squad was not quite how I wanted it just yet.

--

The Scottish Times

Season Review ; 2001/02

--

Aberdeen

Manager - Ebbe Skovdahl

Ground - Pittodrie

Predicted Finish - 5th

The Dons have not really invested much in their squad over the summer, so a mid-table finish looks likely. However, with players in the squad the likes of Phil McGuire, Jamie Langfield and David Winters, they could quite possibly cause a few shocks and finish up the table. Ebbe Skovdahl has a decent squad to work with, but a few injuries or suspensions, it could see them struggle. The best they could hope for is a top six split place

--

Celtic

Manager - Martin O'Neill

Ground - Celtic Park

Predicted Finish - 1st

Almost certain to be Champions. The strongest squad in the division, and almost unbeatable at home. They have acquired some strong players, with Michael Owen and youngster Paul Grayson the main two, but even though Rangers are their biggest rivals, we don't see anybody pushing them too far. Wouldn't surprise us if they wrap the title up quite comfortable before May

--

Dundee

Manager - Ivano Bonetti

Ground - Dens Park

Predicted Finish - 9th

The blue half of Dundee may well struggle this season. Despite some heavy spending in the previous season, and many good players, such as Nemsadze, Marchi and Lee Wilkie, they don't have the funds to spend and could well find themselves falling down the table rapidly. Bonetti has a tough job to take his side as high as possible

--

Dundee United

Manager - Alex Smith

Ground - Tannadice Park

Predicted Finish - 3rd

With some investment in the squad, the Tangerines have a real chance of pushing for a European place. The chairman has invested millions and they have signed some quality players, but with such players as David Hannah, David McCracken and Craig Easton, aswell as Paul Gallacher and Derek Lilley, they have a real core of good players, and we believe they can push the top two all the way

--

Dunfermline Athletic

Manager - Jimmy Calderwood

Ground - East End Park

Predicted Finish - 10th

The Pars might well struggle this term, but they have better players than a couple of teams in the division so we think they will avoid relegation. Stephen Crawford is always a goal threat, but with bigger clubs sniffing about, he may well leave. If he does, relegation couldbe imminent, but we suspect they will be in a battle for the drop all season. A leaky defence may well see them concede a fair few goals, but they should have enough to stay up

--

Hearts

Manager - Craig Levein

Ground - Tynecastle Park

Predicted Finish - 4th

Levein's side should be comfortable in the Premier Division this season, and we expect at least a top six finish. Stephane Mahe is a good player, and with some younger talent coming through, they have a real future as a top six side. Craig Levein is regarded as one of the best young managers in the game, and his Hearts side can play football with the best of them

Hibernian

Manager - Alex McLeish

Ground - Easter Road

Predicted Finish - 7th

McLeish has some real talented players in his side, with the likes of Luna, Sauzee and youngster O'Connor, but they will have to settle for a lower position than they are capable of. Notorious for poor away form, we feel they will have the same sufferings this season, but they will prove to be tough to beat at Easter Road. Will be lucky to finish in the top six, but they should top the bottom half split

--

Kilmarnock

Manager - Sandy McGough

Ground - Rugby Park

Predicted Finish - 8th

McGough has attracted lots of criticism for his vow to play an all Scottish side, and he has stuck to that, signing the likes of Billy McKinlay and Steve Caldwell. However, having made more than £8 million, there is the scope for him to delve into the transfer market. They have lost some of their better players though, and an 8th place finish is about as good as it may get. The worst would be a relegation battle, but we're not sure they will get to that

--

Livingston

Manager - Jim Leishman

Ground - Almondvale

Predicted Finish - 12th

Livvy will find it tough in their debut season in the top flight, and though Jim Leishman's side have shot their way through the divisions playing attractive football, that will not stand them in good stead this year. Xausa, Fernandez and Quino are all exciting players, but with them attracting attention, they may leave. This would not bode well for them, but they will give it their all

--

Motherwell

Manager - Eric Black

Ground - Fir Park

Predicted Finish - 6th

A strong squad, a fairly consistent following of fans, and with talents such as Elliott, Twaddle, Corrigan and Nicholas, they could really find themselves pushing for a top six spot, and maybe even a European Place. However, a lack of funds could see them struggle, especially if they need a couple of new additions or lose some players, which is very possible. Should be fine though and comfortably finish in the top half

--

Rangers

Manager - Dick Advocaat

Ground - Ibrox

Predicted Finish - 2nd

Though they will challenge Celtic, it is unlikely they will topple the Bhoys. Advocaat's side have some good players, but they do not have the experience to win the title. The likes of Tore Andre Flo, Neil McCann and Lorenzo Amoruso are all talented players, but they have a habit of choking in big games, particularly against their old firm rivals. Nobody will challenge them for the second spot, but that is all they can hope for

--

St. Johnstone

Manager - Sandy Clark

Ground - McDiarmid Park

Predicted Finish - 11th

The Saints will have another season of struggle, but due to the inexperience and lack of quality in the Livingstone squad, they will stay up. They do have some quality players, with John-Paul McBride and Rachid Djebailli both excellent attacking options, aswell as Nick Dasovic, but they won't have enough about them to push into the top half. As long as they avoid the drop, they will accept that quite happily

--

A predicted 8th place finish was, well, slightly under what I felt we could achieve, as I was sure we could make our mark and push into the top six. To do that though, I knew we needed some more players to strengthen the squad. I had sent the scouts out around the country, looking for the best talent that our fine country could offer, but I was not willing to be held hostage for players and pay over the odds.

"Sandy was a real master negotiator in the transfer market. I remember several times how he had set a price, but after being quoted another price, he walked away. He was a stubborn man, and he was also the best motivator I knew. He knew exactly the right things to say to his players, and he knew how to get the best of them"

I was, to put too fine a point on it, bloody nervous on the day of the opening game. This club meant a lot to me, having spent eleven years as a player here, and I was desperate to get them off to a good start. I knew that the Scottish policy would raise a few eyebrows amongst pundits and fans but I had every confidence in myself and my players to pull it off and make it a success.

--

SPL Game 1 ; vs. Livingston

Rugby Park, 16,756

Kilmarnock 2-1 Livingston

(Dargo 2, McGowne 26, Bingham 66)

Couldn't have asked for any more from the lads today, as we secured an opening day three points with a professional performance. We suffered a blow in the warm-up, as Gary McCutcheon picked up a knock, but his replacement Craig Dargo made his mark by bagging the opener after less than two minutes. The striker latched onto a long clearance, beating his man marker and sliding into the bottom corner. He should have scored again ten minutes later, leaping highest and heading over the bar, but on 26 minutes, there was a second, Di Giacomo swinging in his corner and Kevin McGowne beating everybody to the ball to double the lead. We dominated the match, and we should have scored more, with Dargo, McSporran and Di Giacomo all missing guilt-edged chances, and we were nearly made to pay, David Fernandez and Steven Tosh combining to slip in Dave Bingham, who fired home past Gordon Marshall. Fortunately though, we held on to claim the win

Most of the foreigners were gone from the squad, when Antonio Calderon moved to Cadiz for £100,000, but the one thing that concerned me was that we had very few good youngsters. Mark Canning was the best of the bunch, and the 17 year old would play a few first team games, but ideally I wanted to loan him out, get him some experience. Also, if we were going to embark on a UEFA Cup campaign, we definately needed some fresh faces in the squad, and I was working dilligently to bring some in

--

SPL Game 2 ; vs Dundee

Dens Park, 10,129

Dundee 1-1 Kilmarnock

(Caballero 33, McCutcheon 42)

Dundee had some good players in their side, with Juan Sara, Georgy Nemsadze, Fabian Caballero and Marco Marchi, and it was the forward three that caused us real problems. Kevin McGowne and Stevie Caldwell were really struggling to keep up with their pace, and the only question was how it took over half an hour for the opening goal. When it did come though, it wasn't pretty on our part, as Mark Reilly's poor pass allowed Nemsadze in, who slipped in Sara, and his low cross found Caballero who poked home at the back post. This brought about a switch in formation, as I dropped McKinlay back to just in front of the defence, and McSporran onto the right hand side, leaving McCutcheon on his own upfront, and it certainly made us look more threatening. That said, it took just nine minutes for us to hit back, Garry Hay with a 50 yard pass to McSporran, who slipped in for the big striker to bang into the roof of the net. The second half petered out into a tame match, as both sides cancelled each other out, but a 1-1 draw away from home was always a good result.

Finally, I managed to secure more new faces, aswell as managing to convince the board to fund me with an extra £3 million, which left me with a comfortable £12 million to spend. The first new face was to strengthen between the posts, as Aberdeen's goalkeeper Jamie Langfield joined for £2.5 million. The youngster was a future star, and he would soon prove to be a real star between the sticks. A great shot stopper and brilliant on one on ones, and though he wasn't the finished article, there was plenty of potential. Jamie was soon joined by a man that I had been monitoring since earlier in the season, and when he signed a new contract with a minimum fee release clause, I was quick to snap up Martyn Corrigan from Motherwell. He was a versatile player, who could play in defence or midfield, and he would go on to make a terrific impact on the team. The third new face was one of his Motherwell team-mates, and forward Steven Nicholas made a £2.6 million switch. I had earmarked Steven for a place on the right hand side of midfield, but I knew that he could play in the centre or upfront if he needed it. I was delighted with the new acquisitions, but unfortunately, they would all have to wait to make their debuts, as they couldn't play in our next match

UEFA Cup Qualifying Round Leg 1 ; vs Besa Kavaje

Stadium Besa, 8,690

Besa Kavaje 0-3 Kilmarnock

(Canning pen 43, McCutcheon 47, Di Giacomo 70)

I was completely unsure of what to expect from our Albanian opponents. Common sense told me that we should beat them, but travelling away from home, in Europe, was always a tough proposition. However, we were superb, and dominated the game from start to finish. Mark Canning made his debut, and the youngster showed absolutely no fear, spraying passes everywhere to his team-mates. Chances flowed, with McCutcheon, Di Giacomo and two bullet headers from Caldwell all missing, but in the end, it took until just before half time to open our account, a cross from Hay towards McCutcheon saw the big man tripped, and Canning duly stepped up to slide home the penalty. The second 45 minutes was a much easier affair, as goals from Gary McCutcheon (47) and a terrific 30 yarder from Paul Di Giacomo (70), secured us a 3-0 win and gave us a great chance of qualifying for the competition proper

The games just kept coming, and they were not getting any easier, as we faced out toughest test yet, with the favourites for the SPL title travelling to Rugby Park for our third League game. Nothing but my best eleven would do, which meant Corrigan, Nicholas and Langfield all made their debuts. Talk about throwing them in at the deep end...

SPL Game 3 ; vs Celtic

Rugby Park, 16,201

Kilmarnock 3-1 Celtic

(Corrigan 12,54, McCutcheon 64, Larsson 80)

This was, and this is the only way I can think to describe it, a monumental and momentous occasion. We were absolutely superb, and I felt that it was the best performance under my management (and that includes all season). Andy McLaren and Steven Nicholas were brilliant, running the Celtic fullbacks ragged, and it was Mclaren who set up the opener, jinking inside before pulling the ball back for Corrigan, who side footed the ball home beautifully from twelve yards. It was always nice for a player to score on his debut, and he celebrated with such vigour I had to laugh. I expected the visitors to come back into it after this, really push us, but they didn't. They were really poor and we probably should have gone in at half time more than 1-0 ahead. It took us nine minutes of the second half to double the advantage, Corrigan winning a free-kick and then rising highest to head home McLaren's cross, before Nicholas combined with McKinlay to play in McCutcheon ten minutes later, and he fired home past Rab Douglas. I never dreamed we would be leading Celtic 3-0, and even Henrik Larsson's 80th minute goal couldn't dampen my spirits, and we came away with a brilliant three points.

I got my footballing education at Rugby Park. My dad took me to my first game when I was seven, and though it was a 2-0 defeat to Hearts, I was hooked on the game. Playing on the park until the darkness fell, playing with the older lads, feeling accepted. Only when I got the final shout from my Mum did I finally relent and go inside. Aged 15, I got my break, as I signed professional terms with Rangers. I liked to think of myself as a box-to-box midfielder, tenacious, tough and energetic. However, I never made a first team appearance at Ibrox, and signed for Kilmarnock aged 19. There, my prowess became apparent, and after 11 years, and 254 games, I had to bid farewell to my beloved Rugby Park. My knees had given out, all the pressure, all the knocks and niggles, and aged 30, I retired. As a player at least.

I used all my knowledge to gain my UEFA 'A' and 'Pro' badges, and eventually became the youth team coach at Rangers. There, I won five successive youth titles, until I assisted Walter Smith as his number two. Once the Kilmarnock job came up though, I couldn't say no to that...

"Sandy was a brilliant number two. He was always there, beside me, and he used to take notes. I asked him to produce tactical reports, and they were always detailed, more so than I'd ever seen before. When he took his own career, and became manager at Kilmarnock, I knew he had what it took to make a success of it"

---

SPL Game 4 ; vs Motherwell

Fir Park, 12,903

Motherwell 1-2 Kilmarnock

(Elliott 4, Nicholas 24, McCutcheon 52)

Our remarkable run continued, as we picked up another win. It was a battling, gritty performance, not without it's hardships, but we came out on top. The home side started well, Stuart Elliott finishing well in the opening five minutes, and it was that goal that woke us up from our slumber. Ian Durrant was the key in midfield, sliding passes through constantly, and it was one of these that saw us equalise, his pass finding Di Giacomo, whose shot was parried into the path of Steve Nicholas, and he slotted home into the empty goal. From this point, there was only one side in the game, but we could not find a way past the resolute home defence. Until seven minutes into the second half, when our in-form striker Gary McCutcheon scored his fourth goal in four games, taking the ball brilliantly from Corrigan's flicked header, turning his man and smashing a right footed shot into the top corner. This goal was enough to win us the game, and couple with other results, it saw us top the table.

Following the win at Fir Park, another new face was added to the squad, as Partick Thistle's midfielder Willie Howie joined the Braveheart revolution. The £250,000 fee was a small price to pay for a talented young player, and though he would get some playing time, he would be a rotational player.

Our performance in Albania meant that I had the luxury of resting several players for the return leg, so it meant that McCutcheon, Caldwell, Durrant, Di Giacomo and McLaren all stayed at home, and players like James Fowler, Craig Dargo, Ross Moffat and Martin Baker all got a chance to show me what they could do

--

UEFA Cup Qualifying Round Leg 2 ; vs Besa Kavaje

Rugby Park, 14,345

Kilmarnock 1-1 Besa Kavaje (4-1 Agg)

(Bishaj 42, Aitken 72)

With a fairly simple passage secured into the competition proper, my makeshift side did well to avoid the first half onslaught that the Albanian visitors brought to us. They knew they had nothing to lose, so they went for it, and it was only because of the saves of Colin Meldrum that we were level for so long, aswell as Mark Reilly clearing a ball off the line, but it took a defensive error to see us fall behind, as Ross Moffat slipped on the wet surface, allowing Bishaj to take the ball, round the 'keeper, and slide his side in front. We got back into it in the second half, testing the visiting 'keeper on several occasions, but it was a James Fowler corner that saw us equalise, as he swung it into Andy Aitken, and the defender headed his first goal for the club. That was how it stayed, and our 4-1 aggregate win saw us heading for the UEFA Cup

We had qualified for the UEFA Cup, but if I was honest, I wasn't expecting too much from it. We didn't have the experience to compete with the top sides in Europe, and any optimism I did have was completely flattened when we were paired with Valencia. That was a tough draw, and it was very unlikely that we would advance through the first round

It always adds a spice, and a challenge, not to mention ton of self-satisfaction IF you're semi-successful to go the voluntary Bilbao model. I usually try to bash out a save on each version after reading the Re-anglisciation of Man Utd story here. Last one was Turkish only in Turkey, was great fun.

Do I see Sandy taking the Tartan Army to sunnier climes one day in future with 9-10 (or 11 or even 18) Kilmarnock players in the match squad?? Hard, but worth it.

Archived