Spoilt supporters of overachieving clubs

Is anybody else having problems with unreasonable expectation from their supporters? I've taken my lowly Gillingham from League 2 to a play-offs slot in the Championship in two seasons in charge, which, as a Gillingham supporter IRL, I would be abso-blimming-lutely delighted with. Any yet, every game where I don't win by three clear goals is met with a "slightly concerned" or "disappointed" assessment of the result! I've just been knocked out of the Carling Cup at the semi-final stage by Man Utd, taking a highly creditable 1-1 draw to Old Trafford from the first leg, but going down 3-2 on aggregate. My team almost matched Utd for attempts, but I still get a "slightly concerned".

The fans' expectations are reaching the point where I'm almost considering putting the reserves and youths out for a few games, in order to actually lose! Maybe that way, the ungrateful gits in the stands might get a bit of perspective about the results of their overachieving team. :mad:

I've had this also as manager of derby, and notts forest (on fm11)! I'll agree it gets to the point where you actually want to arrange a fans meeting and lay it on the line for them!!!!!! What irks me more is when the board listens to the fans and get rid of you for what they now deem as 'underperforming'!! However it is good then to have a chuckle at the fella that follows you into the job only to drag them back into mid table mediocrity hahahaha

The supporters seems to always be "slightly concerned" after a loss, no matter what the expectations were beforehand. I use the single-word at the end of the confidence line as a guideline, even if the text says "slightly concerned", the single word is usually "Okay", indicating that it wasn't bad after all.

may depend on the hidden supporter stast for that eam

Also I wonder if press interviews etc have an effect. E.g. IRL except less in the last year, Arsene Wenger always talks up his teams - creating more pressure and expectation on himself vs Harry Redknapp who always downplays and deflects.

Whats you're strategy in press conferences? Do you always talk up your chances or downplay them much?

I usually downplay to be honest - never suggest that we can keep up a winning streak, or challenge for the title unless it's almost in the bag. Even for games where we should dominate, I usually return with "Of course, they got a chance....".

I can't help think that it just comes down to the fans getting a little too used to seeing us win.

Archived