Play Wider / Exploit The Middle

Hello, would these two shouts be contradictory on this game?

I want my team to play wide, but use the ball through the middle, having the wide midfielders get the ball and play it inside to my play maker, who should then have more space.

Seems logical enough to me to use these two shouts, but I think I read somewhere that "play wider" also makes the team focus its play out wide. Which is what I want to happen during the first phase of my build up play, but then I want them to play it inside.

I've tried a few games with it so far and it seems ok, but was thinking maybe it would be better to just have "exploit the middle" used as a shout, and having the wide players hug the touchline the whole time. Should have the same width effect, but maybe the build up play would be different, with my defenders going straight to my play maker in the middle instead of going out wide first, which is what I want to happen.

I posted a thread a long while back about contradictory instructions.

This one you have posted here works a treat! I used the postioning of the players to spread their players and then played the ball through a theoretical empty middle.

If I recall correctly, the passing focus overides the width instruction, in both cases.

Regards

I use the same combination when the opposite team attacks down the flanks (4-4-2 etc) and leaves holes in the middle and works like a charm! As well as playing narrower and exploit the flanks when opposite team attacks through the middle (4-2-3-1 narrow etc).

Cheers , I will take a look at your thread in a bit if I can find it Iam .

Anyway I have to start it all again just as my formation was starting to take shape with the right players, the board have raised their expectations while at the same time cutting the wage bill in half......so I resigned. But I will be back !

Thanks again

Archived