Great players in FM that never made it irl

Wow,

Some awesome players mentioned! I think I have one that noone has mentioned yet, Kolar (or something) LW for Anderlecht, him and Lionel Morgan used to always battle it out for that position. That iteration of FM, basically Wimbledon's best players were extremely cheap, I think that was the year that Nigel Reo-Coker was class - not quite as good now. They also had a class young striker, was it Moses Ashikodi, or someone else?

I think as someone said, Sweden was the place to scout, i think I had Farneraud, Teddy Lucic, Peter Hanson, Stefan Selakovic and Jonas Lunden on my Standard Leige team at one time! I think a couple of year before Alex Notman was brilliant for me at Old Trafford, I remember he signed for Norwich and I was hoping he would become good, never seemed to. That same save, Roque Santa Cruz was immense, if I remember right, and much better than he is now

Bogdan Stancu was class on one save for, I cant remember who for though!

Marquinhos was class for me at Celtic recently, although as someone said he has just gone to Roma, so he is still pretty good!

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great.

Anybody get Pablo Nino from Betis? Left forward with the ball stuck to his feet.

Roberto Stellone, an Italian goal machine.

Can't beleive Serge Makofo has only been mentioned once, also unreal.

Roberto Stellone was amazing in 97/98 version!! i would always sign him, i randomly found him when i was doing a italian career save and got the Italy job, i decided i wanted to unearth a new Number 9 sensation and this proved to be an astute decision as he went on to score something like 80 odd goals in 90 odd games.

Still a good keeper for the mighty hatters...:)

Most would probably give a testicle to have him back at London Road.

Off the top of my head...cm02/03 - Julio Arca and Matty Piper were world class after 1 or 2 seasons

Lulinha and Evandro Roncatto somewhere between fm05 and 09 i think.

EDIT;Jonathan Legear was another from Anderlecht iirc.

Nii Lamptey would be the one for me. Back in the good old Atari ST days. (Christ, showing my age now...)

Surprised at people listing Kennedy Bakircioglu and Stefan Selakovic in this - Both played in the dutch league with some success. Bakircioglu is now in Spain with Santander, and Selakovic is a legend to the IFK Goteborg fans.

And wasn't To Madeira a programmer for the game? Or am I making that up?

For me it was definitely Anatoly Todorov.He was 18 or 19 and had Dribbling 19 ,Finishing 20,Acceleration 20....Someone asked if he is indeed a real player.The answer is -yes-and he was indeed a very talented young player that had it all to become a real star.Instead he spent more time in discos and bars than on training and steadily moved to smaller and smaller clubs.Currently plays in the 2nd division of Bulgarian football(i an almost sure).

Something that happens to a lot of young players all over the world...when you all at once have a lot of money at just 19 or 20 and no self-discipline....

Depends on the definition but these were a few players DOMINANT on FM that were not in real life ( FM '05 onward);

Fred

Freddy Guarin

Dede

Eddie Johnson

Good times with these gentlemen.

Guarin has Hardley not made it. Hes playing brilliantly for Porto.

Do not know which years release they were, but here are a few players I never heard of in RL that kicked arse for me!....

Peter Prospar

Mark Smith (bristol rovers DRC.. I loved this guy!)

Mark Kerr (some scottish team MC)

Dunno his name, but there was some wicked 17 yr old columbian goalkeeper in one of the game

Loads more.. but will come back to this thread, gotta go!:thup:

Oh. I loved Willie Howie. Does anybody know if he was for real and what happend to him irl if that the case?
yes. willie howie was real. sadly he got badly injured after suffering a knife attack in glasgow while still playing at partick thistle but continued to play at a lower level including junior football. id say the incident not only scarred him physically but mentally aswell as he never fulfilled his potential. sad

How about Chucks Nwokwo from CM00/01? Was a bargain and tended to score bucketloads for me - looked him up a couple of editions ago, and he'd just meandered around Maltese clubs and had a strike-rate worse than Heskey! I'd also have to say Michael Collins from 2008-ish, an Irish forward who came through the Liverpool academy - he broke into my first team and never looked back, scoring loads before, if I remember rightly, a couple of bad injuries kept him out for over a year.

Is it a bit harsh just nominate Ricardo Quaresma into this as well? I know he's a Portuguese international, and has played for some of the top sides in Europe winning the Champions League with Porto, but I still think that whilst he was pretty awesome on CM/FM, he could have done so much better with his talent.

yes. willie howie was real. sadly he got badly injured after suffering a knife attack in glasgow while still playing at partick thistle but continued to play at a lower level including junior football. id say the incident not only scarred him physically but mentally aswell as he never fulfilled his potential. sad

Some detailed knowledge there Souter loyal. Ptssssssssss

Most of the players I remember signing "back in the day" have already been mentioned (the likes of Lunden, Selakovic and Hansson) but I always used to build my defence around a couple of scandinavians....Frederik Risp and Mikael Antonsson. Both high quality central defenders for a small premier league club. Martin Ericsson was a brilliant all round midfielder who chipped in with his fair share of goals too. Mikael Dorsin is probably worth an honorary mention too!!!

I can't remember which edition but there was a young lad called Anatoli Guerk from Anderlecht I think. If you got him early enough and trained him up he was class. Bakayoko still my all-time favourite CM player - mud in real life!