'Lessons in Calcio' - Crouchy, Facci Sognare!

crouchaldinho

Okay guys, a challenge for you coming up!

Guess the score:

guessthescore.jpg

Damn it.

I did something stupid last night. It looks as though I actually forgot to save and close down FM before shutting down my computer.

I've lost this amazing result and have to play it again. :(

Okay, I only lost one result, which isn't so bad, but it was such a lucky one! I bet when I play it again, I lose badly. :(

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tactics screen is horrible and probably one of the most negative things for me. As a tactical tweaker, it's a screen I want to spend a lot of time on, but the looks and layout put me off.

I definitely felt this way at the start, but with a little digging, it makes far more sense and presents information in a much more logical and helpful way, especially the way player roles change instructions, and also set pieces. It just takes a while to unlearn what you're used to. My only complaint is the thing Pangaea mentioned with not being able to get team and player instructions on the same screen, which admittedly is a real annoyance.

So does anyone know when my players will be motivated to play for me?

Right now, I always get that message from my assistant to say that some of them are struggling with their motivation to play for me and it sucks! :mad:

:D

To be honest, Crouchy, I always ignore that. I don't think I've listened to my assistant once on that score.

Team meetings are bad I never get them right.

After a few failed efforts I've kind of worked out what's good to say and when, but really it's a risky business and I tend to avoid them completely when morale is good for fear of freaking everyone out unnecessarily.

The other way to get their attention is to become favoured personnel through good private chats, but it seems much, much harder to do this in FM12 than FM11; I have no one in my team listing me as favoured after eight months at the club, whereas in FM11 there would probably be a few by now.

Not a fan of team meetings, far too gimmicky IMO.

At times, it's like playing Russian Roulette, as there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the reaction you get. The only good thing to come from them is that you can now see who you've p*ssed off, and by how much! :D

I've found team meetings helpful sometimes. Private chats can sometimes work, just depends on what you say, and how you say it. Although, if all else fails, I once found that fining players a weeks wages gets them motivated again - especially if they've been putting in poor performances. David Holdsworth? Me? No, never been to Lincoln in my FM life.

I agree with the guys above, I've only held a handful of team meetings in my career and when morale is low i've had only positive responses but when morale is already ok it just seems to cause more problems. I stay away from them now unless my team hits a really bad patch and morale is rock bottom.

I hold them when I feel they're necessary. If we're in bad form I look to get them out of the rut, but if we're playing well I like to ensure we dont become complacent.

Also hold them going into pre-season as well.

Thanks for the interest Bedford Bulldog.

I haven't played much over the last week so I'm yet to finish off the season.

I think I'm on four matches to go now. Things are pretty tense because - SPOILER ALERT! - we are still in contention for a play-off spot.

Will get around to finishing off the season soon and post a full update when I have done so! :)

Got two more games to go to finish the first full season with Mezzocorona! Will update when I finish the season!

In completely off topic news, I bought Skyrim yesterday. I found a deal on Green Man Gaming, purely by chance. I was lucky enough to get one of their 50% off deals on a Skyrim code before it ran out!

I've been keeping an eye on the prices for a while. Didn't get it in the Xmas sale on Steam because I decided to wait but at £20 yesterday it seemed like a great deal.

I've been watching a few YouTube Let's Play videos on Skyrim and it looks like my kind of game. Quite a few of my favourite Minecraft YouTubers are playing it (DocM77, Vintage Beef, Zisteau to mention a few). I love open world, sandbox type games where you have the freedom to create your own adventure (just like Minecraft), and that's what has attracted me to Skyrim.

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game though, so I'm not too familiar with everything. Should be interesting for me to try something different!

Skyrim eh? See you in 2013 :D

Yep, something like that! :D

That's what people keep warning me.

I blame Flamers for ruining my life. He told me that I had to get Skyrim!

Skyrim is not as good as Minecraft. Or FM for that matter. Desist!

:D

Sorry Shake Appeal. Don't worry though, I'm still FMing.

In fact, I finished the season last night, so I have an update to write up for my first full season with Mezzocorona. I doubt it'll get done today though as I'm off to the football this afternoon.

transmogrifa-wha?!

can't believe no one got the red dwarf reference. :(

of course! lager! the only thing to kill a vindaloo!

Ha! I'm glad someone got the reference!

Red Dwarf is awesome. It was the first TV series I ever fell in love with as a kid. Absolutely amazing!

Apparently we have a new series to look forward to this year. I've heard that they are recording Red Dwarf X. Not sure whether to be excited or to feel sad about it actually. Series VI was the last time that the show was good. It has got progressively worse since, with VIII being the all time low as far as I am concerned. But I guess 'Back to Earth' wasn't so bad, so maybe there is still hope?

Yeah, what SnakeXe has posted is classic Red Dwarf!

Seasons 1 and 2 are still favourites for me. I almost wish it stayed like that throughout all of the various seasons.

Series 3, 4, 5 and 6 were still awesome.

Season 7 was bareable, just about, although it was always going to go downhill when Rimmer left.

Series 8 was terrible. An abomination on the fine name of Red Dwarf. Don't even talk to me about it.

Back to Earth was sort of okay but in the background were the death throes of a once great show.

I hope and pray that any new Red Dwarf will at least stay true to the earlier era but I know in my heart that it won't be very good. I just hope that they don't further kill off the good memories of the show like they did with the appalling series 8.

I think it all went downhill when Rob Grant left. Doug Naylor appears to have needed him to work alongside. Alone, he has really spoilt the show, in my opinion. and made some very bad decisions.

Has anyone read the books? I recommend all of them as good reads. I re-read them all recently due to a bout of insomnia (I wanted something fairly light-hearted to read during the night whilst I couldn't sleep). They are all still very entertaining and in some ways maybe better than the shows!

It's sad because I'd love to see more quality Red Dwarf. I always dreamt that there might be a film. But now, the actors are probably too old, and one of the writers has left, and the show just doesn't work any more.

So on the one hand, I want more Red Dwarf, but on the other, I don't want to see the programme that I loved plunged into further awfulness!

I was a hardcore Dwarfer as a teenager. What a nerd I was! I even had some Red Dwarf t-shirts!

I will actually genuinely feel upset when I watch the new stuff come out. I'll have to watch it because it's Red Dwarf. At the same time, I bet it won't match with my expectations and I'll be frustrated with it. Oh well!

But yeah, great programme and good books too!

I haven't seen Back to Earth yet, might have to get hold of a copy if it's not too bad as you say. Personally I think it should be left alone, as you say the actors are getting on and the writers won't be in the same place they were when they originally wrote it, let alone the fact one has left. I think the risk of tainting the legacy of a fantastic series is far greater than the reward of making a decent addition to it (it's never going to be brilliant, it just doesn't happen).

I read one of the books when I was a bit too young to appreciate it I think. I'll have to give them another chance!

Archived