Explosion in London Underground

defusion

from sky news -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">STATIONS CLOSED OVER SECURITY ALERT

London's Liverpool Street railway station and Charing Cross have been evacuated following a security alert.

Euston station has reopened after an earlier security alert.

More follows . .

Last Updated: 09:14 UK, Friday July 08, 2005

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

There's going to be security alerts all the time as everywhere will be on high alert.

It will be someone leaving their bag unattended while going to Burger King or something.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smiley Dan:

Right, **** em, I'm going to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah! Me too icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif :nofear:

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raptor:

I imagine there'll be many more precautionary station closings in the coming weeks. It only takes one person to not be 100% comfortable with that weird plastic bag flying around.

Better safe than sorry, of course, and possible paranoia will soon turn into complacency again, by which time the next attack will wake everyone up again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately I think you might be right Raptor icon_frown.gif

It would seem from first glance that the bombs have come from outside the city centre into the city on trains and a bus where security is non-existant.

It's been coming for a long time as it's such an easy target, but you can't realistically search every bag icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

i work for the dti and they are basically saying come in if you can dont worry if you cant

im already in icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you get paid if you dont come in?

Nick/Squizza - let us know when you have news. As I said earlier, I'm sure Carmen will be OK. icon14.gif As an aside, I heard from my old Uni buddy - he is fine.

How many of the users who work in that area, have gone into work today ? Don't think I would have fancied doing that, tbh.

my missus works at holborn (round the corner from the russell square bus, she had a phone number to call this morning (which she did) and was told to go in, she should be there by now but is charing cross has been closed she's probably sat on a stationary train in the london bridge area

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Geordie:

How many of the users who work in that area, have gone into work today ? Don't think I would have fancied doing that, tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our office, which is a little bit up the road from the bus blast, is probably half full today and the trains were not as crowded this morning but I think people are being quite pragmatic about it and just getting on with their lives as best as possible. You can't let this sort of thing effect your decision to go about your normal life, just isn't worth it tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Geordie:

How many of the users who work in that area, have gone into work today ? Don't think I would have fancied doing that, tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

seems very normal in central london today bg as i said. just got to crack on with it i spose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cockney Cobbler:

Our office, which is a little bit up the road from the bus blast, is probably half full today and the trains were not as crowded this morning but I think people are being quite pragmatic about it and just getting on with their lives as best as possible. You can't let this sort of thing effect your decision to go about your normal life, just isn't worth it tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye - I know. Guess it all boils down to choice at the end of the day, but respect for making the effort to go in. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swindon_Jimbo:

Are your employers saying you are allowed to not come to work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes for both myself and my partner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Okon:

I have to say I never really believed the "stiff upper lip" saying, but having read several pages of this thread and watching you poms describe some fairly awful events with what can only be called dry humour (with a few exceptions), I'm starting to give it credence. I remember the 9/11 thread was full of over the top hyperbole from various users about the end of the world etc...

Impressed icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said. Without the 'pom' part, natch. icon_wink.gif

I guess all 'cliches' have a basis of truth to them...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Okon:

I have to say I never really believed the "stiff upper lip" saying, but having read several pages of this thread and watching you poms describe some fairly awful events with what can only be called dry humour (with a few exceptions), I'm starting to give it credence. I remember the 9/11 thread was full of over the top hyperbole from various users about the end of the world etc...

Impressed icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf, wholesale murder like this hadn't been seen until 9/11, save maybe for Omagh.

The sad thing is we're becoming used to it: 9/11, Bali, Madrid, London...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

I don't understand people not going in, today is probably the safest day for travelling on london transport. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people might be in shock or just plain scared silly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

I don't understand people not going in, today is probably the safest day for travelling on london transport. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah folk react in different ways

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thierry:

Bleh, flying in two weeks, returning via London Heathrow. Security is going to be hell icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, it has already been tightened since 9/11 and even more since the Theo van Gogh murder here..

HUGE line in front of the passport and security checks at Schiphol nowadays, they really check you and if you wear like.. very long boots (women) they have to be taken off etc. etc.

Though I guess.. it's good.. I mean.. I get frisked during ADO home games and sometimes during festivals - and they always do a half-assed job.

Some might have been party to/seen what went on yesterday. Things such as this can traumatise people, even through them just witnessing it 3rd party.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MattyT:

while most of the politicians are echoing Bush's war on terror ********, "it's us against them and we will win", George Galloway is asking us to examine the causes of terrorism and why these people want to kill us.

as for your moronic comment that "he has to echo the immams or he's out", he's already stated that he won't be running again in that constituency. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I already enlightened everybody as to what is causing the terror attacks on about page 18. Galloway is by no means the only one to have looked into it, you see?

Galloway was elected by wholly anti-war (wars against muslims, that is) and mostly anti-western muslims. He will act as most muslim leaders do - he'll condemn terrorism, then say we bought it all on ourselves really. Which we didn't.

Oh, and unless you're a bona-fide genius, I'd be careful in referring to my comments as moronic.

To be fair though the police did say that they would prefer it if commuters would consider not coming in to London today, although I do think you are right to a degree.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

Oh, and unless you're a bona-fide genius, I'd be careful in referring to my comments as moronic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd think people would learn wouldnt you mate! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reddiablo:

Though I guess.. it's good.. I mean.. I get frisked during ADO home games and sometimes during festivals - and they always do a half-assed job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I could have killed a lot more people at Werchter than those people in London, with the kind of security they had there. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

tbf, wholesale murder like this hadn't been seen until 9/11, save maybe for Omagh.

The sad thing is we're becoming used to it: 9/11, Bali, Madrid, London... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about bali - there was something like 90 people killed there, or is if it's not on your front door you don't remember about it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeediuS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The sad thing is we're becoming used to it: 9/11, Bali, Madrid, London... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about bali - there was something like 90 people killed there, or is if it's not on your front door you don't remember about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*snigger*

Sorry if this has already been posted:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hundreds of commuters spent Thursday night stranded in London and some have accused hoteliers of cashing in on the crisis in the capital.

Prices at a number of London's hotels increased by more than double on Thursday night, the BBC has learned.

Lastminute.com was warning customers about the price rises two hours after the first blast.

A Trading Standards Institute spokesman said profiteering after an act of terrorism was reprehensible.

With the transport networks down and no way of returning home, one businessman from Manchester told the BBC he had paid £250 for an £80 room.

Bomb attacks

A spokesman for the British Hospitality Association, which represents hotels, said he was surprised by the increases.

Commuters said they were appalled, and thousands chose to walk for hours to reach home rather than stay the night in a hotel.

London's hotels were 80% full before the blasts, and on Wednesday the UK tourist industry was celebrating the news of London's successful bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

But some US tourists have now cancelled bookings for the coming week following Thursday's bomb attacks, which killed at least 37 people and left 700 injured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fuxing disgusting if true. I hope they get servely reprimanded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MattyT:

while most of the politicians are echoing Bush's war on terror ********, "it's us against them and we will win", George Galloway is asking us to examine the causes of terrorism and why these people want to kill us.

as for your moronic comment that "he has to echo the immams or he's out", he's already stated that he won't be running again in that constituency. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I already enlightened everybody as to what is causing the terror attacks on about page 18. Galloway is by no means the only one to have looked into it, you see?

Galloway was elected by wholly anti-war (wars against muslims, that is) and mostly anti-western muslims. He will act as most muslim leaders do - he'll condemn terrorism, then say we bought it all on ourselves really. Which we didn't.

Oh, and unless you're a bona-fide genius, I'd be careful in referring to my comments as moronic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well they were, tbh.

The people who died didn't directly bring it upon themselves and were very unfortunate. But as a country, we have elected leaders who insist on putting us at risk by meddling in middle eastern affairs. Yesterday was the consequences. Galloway's comments may have been ill-timed, but the crux of his argument was right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

Sorry if this has already been posted:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hundreds of commuters spent Thursday night stranded in London and some have accused hoteliers of cashing in on the crisis in the capital.

Prices at a number of London's hotels increased by more than double on Thursday night, the BBC has learned.

Lastminute.com was warning customers about the price rises two hours after the first blast.

A Trading Standards Institute spokesman said profiteering after an act of terrorism was reprehensible.

With the transport networks down and no way of returning home, one businessman from Manchester told the BBC he had paid £250 for an £80 room.

Bomb attacks

A spokesman for the British Hospitality Association, which represents hotels, said he was surprised by the increases.

Commuters said they were appalled, and thousands chose to walk for hours to reach home rather than stay the night in a hotel.

London's hotels were 80% full before the blasts, and on Wednesday the UK tourist industry was celebrating the news of London's successful bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

But some US tourists have now cancelled bookings for the coming week following Thursday's bomb attacks, which killed at least 37 people and left 700 injured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fuxing disgusting if true. I hope they get servely reprimanded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heard this earlier. Almost as bad as the people selling bits of rubble from the World Trade Centre and those selling Tsunami T-Shirts. angryfire.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

Well they were, tbh.

The people who died didn't directly bring it upon themselves and were very unfortunate. But as a country, we have elected leaders who insist on putting us at risk by meddling in middle eastern affairs. Yesterday was the consequences. Galloway's comments may have been ill-timed, but the crux of his argument was right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think we bought these attacks on ourselves, then?

Archived