Explosion in London Underground

defusion

Unfortunately it takes something like this for us to step up out security efforts.

This could have been avoided (possibly) if stuff like metal detectors were in place long ago.

Why do we need an attack to happen before we start taking measures?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miller_merry:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

Which member of the co-alition is next. Thats Spain, the UK and Pakistan who have all suffered from "retaliation" attacks from Al Qaeda since the beginning of the War against Terror </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Denmark or Italy if they don't pull out from Iraq according to them that are claiming responsibility for the attack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

someone in this thread said al qaeda retracted that threat as a "hoax"..:/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hadn't seen that, in that case don't know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Unfortunately it takes something like this for us to step up out security efforts.

This could have been avoided (possibly) if stuff like metal detectors were in place long ago.

Why do we need an attack to happen before we start taking measures? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude you don't even know what happened yet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Why do we need an attack to happen before we start taking measures? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Metal detectors for people going on buses?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

Metal detectors for people going on buses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if suicide bombers on the buses become a regular occurence it could happen?

Busses / trains are soft targets, how much mettal does your average commuter have about his person

Unless you want to pay for airport style security at every bus stop and train station

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YankeeMofo:

Donald Rumsfeld managed to say the phrase "British steel" when discussing retribution. What, are you guys planning on running a dreadnaught through Marakesh?

icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its called Corus now icon_wink.gif

Can't be helped. You want everyone to have to wear gasmasks and body armour at all times when outside the home?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vidoy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

Which member of the co-alition is next. Thats Spain, the UK and Pakistan who have all suffered from "retaliation" attacks from Al Qaeda since the beginning of the War against Terror </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that website meantion Denmark and Italy. Who knows how true that is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The South Korean engineer was also killed in Iraq for SK's participation in Iraq.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

judging from my trip, a terrorist attack could occur in italy and no one would be the wiser?o </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your random vowel endings are beginning to frighten me..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't be helped. You want everyone to have to wear gasmasks and body armour at all times when outside the home? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - they obviously deserved to be bombed by leaving the house don't you know?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Synthahols_for_Girls:

Busses / trains are soft targets, how much mettal does your average commuter have about his person

Unless you want to pay for airport style security at every bus stop and train station </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Israel, people with metal detectors check every single person entering restaurants, train stations, markets, and shopping malls. It doesn't actually take that long -- but of course Israel is a MUCH smaller and less crowded country.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

In Israel, people with metal detectors check every single person entering restaurants, train stations, markets, and shopping malls. It doesn't actually take that long -- but of course Israel is a MUCH smaller and less crowded country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

has this stopped the suicide bombers targetting buses?

Don't think you can say that really. We don't know who they got the bombs or whatever onto the trains, etc. Plus it sounds easy to just say 'yeah, stick metal detectors everywhere' but it's a lot harder in practice. I went backpacking round the States just after 9/11 and other than the major stations there was still no real security at most train stations or bus stations.

It was going to happen at somepoint. It doesn't really matter what measures you put in place, sooner or later an attack will happen. Just be thankful that the emergency services did their jobs well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't be helped. You want everyone to have to wear gasmasks and body armour at all times when outside the home? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - they obviously deserved to be bombed by leaving the house don't you know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean how many precautions do you want? It's all a balance between security and comfort. I've lived in plenty of warzones, and it's no fun being in what's basically a paranoid fortress all the time. It soon get's on one's tits.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

In Israel, people with metal detectors check every single person entering restaurants, train stations, markets, and shopping malls. It doesn't actually take that long -- but of course Israel is a MUCH smaller and less crowded country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

has this stopped the suicide bombers targetting buses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buses are harder to check, but they do also have a lot of checks of buses, etc. Has it stopped the suicide bombers? Yes, I think so -- combined with many other measures.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Synthahols_for_Girls:

Unless you want to pay for airport style security at every bus stop and train station </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

Have you ever been around central london at rush hour.

The only way to stop terrorism is to go after theise b@stards and the leaders who send them out.

we've done it before in this country, we need to do it again.

These people have declared war on this country, hence we need to show them what a war is.

That means finding them and taking them out of the picture (either dead or detained). If this means violating someones national soverenty or trampling on someones human rights then so be it

You know what a C-130 is, I take it? Now bugger off.

You don't mention tha fact that after the Mig 23's arrived the SAAF basically stopped flying. The 21's suffer two confirmed losses to the SAAF in over 1000 sorties, hardly a disaster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

A warning posted on the gamefaqs messageboard on Tuesday

You need to have an account to get on but this is what somebody said:

From: blue_spiritUK | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:33:06 PM | Message Detail

I know............ i'm just warning peopl to be extra careful on Thursday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that is true, that person who posted the comment should be tracked down and questioned by the authorities icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boltman:

You know what a C-130 is, I take it? Now bugger off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't mention tha fact that after the Mig 23's arrived the SAAF basically stopped flying. The 21's suffer two confirmed losses to the SAAF in over 1000 sorties, hardly a disaster.

So the Cubans lost 2 fighters, and the SAAF lost 2 transports. Yet you still think the Migs were shithot?

Well I've just got back from work in the city. My offices is on Lloyds Avenue a couple of hundred yards from Aldgate station and I would like to say the response of the emergency services today was amazing, within minutes of the first ecplosion at Liverpool St (about 10 mins after I left the station), the area was covered by police and ambulances.

The whole of the City has had a really weird feeling today, no one really knew what to do. Especially as some of the people in my office use Aldgate every day and would have been on the station at the time.

Well done our emergency services.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

look can we work out who did this and how before planning which country to invade next? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the BBC this morning

Note the bit about air forces not being able to attack the Taliban fighters once they cross the boarder into pakistan.

Like Fek, if your in hot persuit bomb the feckers to hell,

OBL's supposed to be in there somewhere, send forces across the boarder to search for him

and if the paki's compalin tell them to fek off

RIP victims of these terrorist attacks. icon_frown.gif

I didn`t read the full thread, so can anyone tell me how these attacks are affecting the English government reputation and if the British tend to have the same behave the Spaniards had after the Madrid attacks? I mean, will the UK try to face the terrorists like America did after Sep 11 or will they do like Spain?

look can we work out who did this and how before planning which country to invade next? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Syria is long overdue a good slapping, tbh. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

do you think i should e-mail it to the police? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. For all you know, they-ve got loads of other stuff on him already, and that could be the icing on the cake.

Er, read the whole thread it's in first, though. Don't want to go making an arse of yourself now.

Note the bit about air forces not being able to attack the Taliban fighters once they cross the boarder into pakistan.

OBL's supposed to be in there somewhere, send forces across the boarder to search for him

and if the paki's compalin tell them to fek off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

racism?

and if the paki's compalin tell them to fek off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded.

I believe in many other major European cities that major train station have metal dectectors etc. Its tough to do it for London stations however due to the sheer volume of people passing through these stations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No that is no excuse. Look, what's better, people being delayed by an hour tops or people loseing their lives? Trains, planes, buses, every mode of transport seems to be a potential weapon for these terrorists. Whatever the cost, get them installed.

I had my doubts about this war on terror, but the events of today show exactly why everything the US and the rest did was justified imo, we need to stop these.

I may not live in Britain, but I simply don't feel safe anymore. Having heard what happened today I cancled my trip into the city centre via the train to do some shopping because they could strike at any time. I mean I'll use the trains again soon but this obviously leaves an impression and until the people are seen to be doing something to secure these potential terrorist bomb areas we'll never really feel safe on them again.

Metal detecters, ID cards, maybe random inspections of suspicious looking people useing public transport, whatever needs to be done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PMLF:

I didn`t read the full thread, so can anyone tell me how these attacks are affecting the English government reputation and if the British tend to have the same behave the Spaniards had after the Madrid attacks? I mean, will the UK try to face the terrorists like America did after Sep 11 or will they do like Spain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Blair said more or less straight away we won't back down against terrorism - and rightly so in my opinion icon14.gif

It's probably our (Dutch) turn next.

My choice of target, were I a terrorist, would be Utrecht CS and shopping centre. Maximum death toll, maximum disruption (all trains across the land would be out).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

do you think i should e-mail it to the police? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. For all you know, they-ve got loads of other stuff on him already, and that could be the icing on the cake.

Er, read the whole thread it's in first, though. Don't want to go making an arse of yourself now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can't, that link was given to me by a mate and i can't log in (quote as well)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PMLF:

I didn`t read the full thread, so can anyone tell me how these attacks are affecting the English government reputation and if the British tend to have the same behave the Spaniards had after the Madrid attacks? I mean, will the UK try to face the terrorists like America did after Sep 11 or will they do like Spain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no way we will withdraw troops etc. It was a funny situation in Spain though as it came very close to an election...

Initial reaction seems to be one of annoyance, not fear. We are not SPics, young sir. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The One And Joey:

I believe in many other major European cities that major train station have metal dectectors etc. Its tough to do it for London stations however due to the sheer volume of people passing through these stations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No that is no excuse. Look, what's better, people being delayed by an hour tops or people loseing their lives? Trains, planes, buses, every mode of transport seems to be a potential weapon for these terrorists. Whatever the cost, get them installed.

I had my doubts about this war on terror, but the events of today show exactly why everything the US and the rest did was justified imo, we need to stop these.

I may not live in Britain, but I simply don't feel safe anymore. Having heard what happened today I cancled my trip into the city centre via the train to do some shopping because they could strike at any time. I mean I'll use the trains again soon but this obviously leaves an impression and until the people are seen to be doing something to secure these potential terrorist bomb areas we'll never really feel safe on them again.

Metal detecters, ID cards, maybe random inspections of suspicious looking people useing public transport, whatever needs to be done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats all very well, but we cant live in a state of perpetual fear and suspicion. That is what the terrorists want.

Yes we should make some improvements in security, but prevention of terrorism is never going to be abolsute. We just have to make the country as secure as possible without turning it into a prison camp...

here's a copy of the thread (my mate let me log in on his account to tread through the thread) from Tuesday (it was upped today ofc)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Bad **** always happens on Thursday.

---

"You don't know that I'm evil - except for the fact that I told you."

From: DanShields2 | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:31:11 PM | Message Detail

Today's Tuesday...

---

The statement above is the truth.

The statement below is a lie

From: 01asada | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:31:44 PM | Message Detail

Je suis d'accord avec vous.

---

http://www.reandev.com/taliban/

^il taliban américain. Évitez les perdants à tout prix!

From: judge | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:32:08 PM | Message Detail

ha ha. . sorry but that made me laugh

---

They dared to go where no one would try

They chose to fly where eagles dare

From: blue_spiritUK | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:33:06 PM | Message Detail

I know............ i'm just warning peopl to be extra careful on Thursday.

---

From: KiWi ThE iNsAnE | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:33:07 PM | Message Detail

Nah, I got Thursday off and a ticket for NiN at night.

---

[This signature was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

From: blue_spiritUK | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:34:39 PM | Message Detail

It looks good, but summit will go wrong.

---

From: Social__Outkast | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:35:38 PM | Message Detail

You will be approached by 3 wise men looking for your father, claiming he is the messiah. Yes, it's a bad thing, you dont want the publicity.

~~~

Old Chinese saying - "Man who walks through door sideways is going to Bangkok."

"Not posting pics is like having sex with your mother. Wrong and unthinkable." - JasonX14

From: CalmG | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:36:07 PM | Message Detail

I'm going to a funeral on Thursday. >_>

---

~*CalmG*~ Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

From: Lotto | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:36:55 PM | Message Detail

I went Thorpe Park on Thursday. Was Ok for me...

Myabe you're just cursed

---

.::Allah-hu-Akbar::.

As the french would say Pakistan played horrible in the second inningz!-Zainab

From: blue_spiritUK | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:39:30 PM | Message Detail

Curse's suck.Thursdays suck even more.

---

From: DanShields2 | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:40:40 PM | Message Detail

Meh. Curses = teh fake

---

shaneo632's temp alt! The statement above is the truth.

The statement below is a lie

From: LocoRaptor | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:42:24 PM | Message Detail

If curses existed, how come i`ve never had bad luck on Friday 13th?

---

Meh! (what!, did you expect it to be original ,Ha Ha not happening!)

From: schudulaba | Posted: 7/5/2005 7:59:42 PM | Message Detail

I always get cursed on Thursdays...

---

Currently playing: PR'ing on MKDD

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived