Explosion in London Underground

defusion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Satan, look at my pert arse!:

Amazing that they'd hit Edgware Road, one of the biggest Arab communities in the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt know that, the radio here is reporting that this was in a "financial district" - arent the Asian districts in East London? King's Cross area is where the big train station is, isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

London has sizable asian communities all over, but especially in Middlesex, which is the extreme West of London. The East end has loads as well, but proportionately less than it has people of afro/caribbean descent. But yeah, Edgware road has a very large Arab prescence for Central London, as does Kings Cross.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skybluedave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roadie_jack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by romeo:

PS as i am stuck in the city, i don't seem to be able to recieve make any calls on the mobile,

anyone know what is happening with the mobile networks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah they are down as a result of what happened today, networks are to busy. Also someone (from another board) mentioned that bombs can be activated by mobiles and that is why they have closed down the network. Don't really believe it personally, but interesting theory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that is possible. They rig up the battery and stuff from a mobile to a bomb and when a signal comes in it can trigger a bomb. It was invented in the 80's and used pagers instead or something. Well that's what i heard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But stupid reason if it is that. They will have to turn the network back on eventaully, and they can detonate the bomb then if they wish

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

ok, so aside from the initial blasts, there has been no other disturbances? and anything blown up elsewhere has not shown to have been bombs yet?

tbh, it's no worse than it was when I left for work this morning, and that I must admit is somewhat of a relief. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is absolutely spot on, there have been some security alerts but these are just people being wary and none have been bombs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

there are Asian communities all over London </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I know. I remember people joking when I was in London, that the Al Qaeda people will never strike London because they live there. Right...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

ok, so aside from the initial blasts, there has been no other disturbances? and anything blown up elsewhere has not shown to have been bombs yet?

tbh, it's no worse than it was when I left for work this morning, and that I must admit is somewhat of a relief. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>correctamundo

tbh, it's no worse than it was when I left for work this morning, and that I must admit is somewhat of a relief. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were 7 blasts. Police made 1 controlled explosion just after.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Satan, look at my pert arse!:

Amazing that they'd hit Edgware Road, one of the biggest Arab communities in the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt know that, the radio here is reporting that this was in a "financial district" - arent the Asian districts in East London? King's Cross area is where the big train station is, isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Edgware road is filled with arabic restaurants and hookah lounges. Most of the Arabs I know that go to London, go to Edgware Road (if they're not living in Mayfair/Oxford St. etc.). A lot of Persians and Pakistanis there as well, but mostly Arabs. It's sort of like Boston in the US.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skybluedave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roadie_jack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by romeo:

PS as i am stuck in the city, i don't seem to be able to recieve make any calls on the mobile,

Yeah they are down as a result of what happened today, networks are to busy. Also someone (from another board) mentioned that bombs can be activated by mobiles and that is why they have closed down the network. Don't really believe it personally, but interesting theory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that is possible. They rig up the battery and stuff from a mobile to a bomb and when a signal comes in it can trigger a bomb. It was invented in the 80's and used pagers instead or something. Well that's what i heard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But stupid reason if it is that. They will have to turn the network back on eventaully, and they can detonate the bomb then if they wish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except that the bomb would have been found by then (ideally).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Drinkwater:

On occasions such as this, where people tend to forget about all those 'foiled' plots, I'm reminded of what the IRA said after the Brighton bombing that very nearly killed Thatcher and the entire cabinet. To paraphrase:

'Today, you have been lucky. However, you will need to be lucky every time - we only need to be lucky once.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, does anyone have an exact quote for that?

Edgware road is filled with arabic restaurants and hookah lounges. Most of the Arabs I know that go to London, go to Edgware Road (if they're not living in Mayfair/Oxford St. etc.). A lot of Persians and Pakistanis there as well, but mostly Arabs. It's sort of like Boston in the US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about the place where that crazy Abu Hook man lives? (Has he been expelled at last?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie 7:

There were 7 blasts. Police made 1 controlled explosion just after. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 dude

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

there are Asian communities all over London </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I know. I remember people joking when I was in London, that the Al Qaeda people will never strike London because they live there. Right... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye but to balance it out there's Jews all over London too, so it's not that bad for them icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD:

It was 3 blasts plus 1 on the bus no? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed it was, there was thought to have been 7 explosions earlier, but it turned out to be wrong

What about the place where that crazy Abu Hook man lives? (Has he been expelled at last?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finsbury Park? That's north east London.

No, the financial district is the city of london and canary wharf.

the city of london is from aldgate in the east, to holborn/chancery lane in the west.

there is a big asian community to the east of aldgate next to the city of london. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the bombs were in commercial districts to one extent or another. Most of the banks and blue chip corporate head offices are in the square mile, but certainly places like Kings Cross and Liverpool St are packed with offices. The point is that they hit some of the main hubs of the Underground that commuters use. Perhaps the reason why London Bridge, Victoria, Charring Cross and the other larger stations weren't hit is because they were considered tougher targets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Jones:

By AMY TEIBEL, Associated Press Writer Thu Jul 7, 7:14 AM ET

JERUSALEM - British police told the Israeli Embassy in London minutes before Thursday's explosions that they had received warnings of possible terror attacks in the city, a senior Israeli official said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=storyandu=/ap/20050707/...britain_explosions_1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scotland Yard has denied that, as has senior Israeli officials.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie 7:

There were 7 blasts. Police made 1 controlled explosion just after. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Only four blasts confirmed. As I posted earlier, confusion was due to people coming out from multiple stations.

That was going round my office, cos the o2 network couldn't get reception and the vodafone network wouldn't allow you to make outgoing calls </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I work in Support for Orange, and i know for sure that we haven't switched off or altered any services. We have had some trouble with congestion on the network, but its no different to what is experienced on a typical New Years Eve.

There were 7 blasts. Police made 1 controlled explosion just after. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 dude </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry ur right 4.

8.51am explosion @ liverpool street station.

8.56am russel sq and kings cross

9.17am edgeware road station

9.47am bus explosion woburn place

Reports of other blasts,but Home secertary only confirmed 4 so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zigson:

No, the financial district is the city of london and canary wharf.

the city of london is from aldgate in the east, to holborn/chancery lane in the west.

there is a big asian community to the east of aldgate next to the city of london. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the bombs were in commercial districts to one extent or another. Most of the banks and blue chip corporate head offices are in the square mile, but certainly places like Kings Cross and Liverpool St are packed with offices. The point is that they hit some of the main hubs of the Underground that commuters use. Perhaps the reason why London Bridge, Victoria, Charring Cross and the other larger stations weren't hit is because they were considered tougher targets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would have thought each target would be as easy as any of em tbh, get on at 1 station leave briefcase on tube (as no one would notice during rush hour) exit station and detonate, or alternatively if its a suicide bomb, get on tube and detonate when it gets to the station of choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zigson:

All the bombs were in commercial districts to one extent or another. Most of the banks and blue chip corporate head offices are in the square mile, but certainly places like Kings Cross and Liverpool St are packed with offices. The point is that they hit some of the main hubs of the Underground that commuters use. Perhaps the reason why London Bridge, Victoria, Charring Cross and the other larger stations weren't hit is because they were considered tougher targets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wouldn't really call Edgware Road much of a commercial centre, although it is on the lines toward the City, so that might be a reason. Similarly Kings X is not much of a commercial area but has a large amount of people travelling through it toward the City and the West End.

It'd be interesting as to why Kings X and Liverpool St were chosen as opposed to, as you say, Victoria and Waterloo.

At the same time, I think the gov't really has to look closely at some of the hate speech among a few radical preachers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They already have. Half the BNP and Abu Hamza were nicked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Jones:

By AMY TEIBEL, Associated Press Writer Thu Jul 7, 7:14 AM ET

JERUSALEM - British police told the Israeli Embassy in London minutes before Thursday's explosions that they had received warnings of possible terror attacks in the city, a senior Israeli official said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=storyandu=/ap/20050707/...britain_explosions_1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scotland Yard has denied that, as has senior Israeli officials. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I thought they had done, but hey.

That's actually staggered fairly dramatically? It isn't like the WTC where you had different airports and flight times to NYC. The attacks are typically coordinated a little more closely than that. Even taking away the bus blast, there's almost a half hour difference between the first and last subway bomb.

Another indicator, IMO, that this wasn't exactly al Qaeda's first teamers behind this. d

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smiley Dan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xerxes T Billy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Darned tootin'. If the Hun couldn't break us this lot won't </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I needed to crack a joke, I've got a lot of friends who work in and around Liverpool Street station and I was quite worried. All this worrying however, has led me to act quite stupidly icon_biggrin.gif I rang a mate of mine who works at Liverpool St. Station itself only to find he's in Ibiza on holiday and I'd spoken to him last week to ask if he'd bring me back some snout icon_biggrin.gificon_redface.gif

I hope this doesnt set off the kinds of racial tensions we saw in Holland last year, given the amount of Muslim people in London... At the same time, I think the gov't really has to look closely at some of the hate speech among a few radical preachers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it will, not majorly anyway, anyone who starts to blame all muslims/asians etc for this are already ignorant and will not have had their views created by this incident, but by years of reading the Sun and the Mail. The only thing I'm scared of is the govt using it as an excuse to push through ID cards, so called "anti-terrorist" measures, incitement to racial hatred laws etc whilst still claiming that the terrorists will not be allowed to change our way of life and challenge our freedoms.

4 dude </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry ur right 4.

8.51am explosion @ liverpool street station.

8.56am russel sq and kings cross

9.17am edgeware road station

9.47am bus explosion woburn place

Reports of other blasts,but Home secertary only confirmed 4 so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A rozzer said it was 7 on Radio 5 about 20 mins ago.

I hope this doesnt set off the kinds of racial tensions we saw in Holland last year, given the amount of Muslim people in London... At the same time, I think the gov't really has to look closely at some of the hate speech among a few radical preachers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it. London is very multiethnic etc anyway so there are more than enough sensible folk around. One or two idiots no doubt will but nothing on a large scale.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

do you guys think this could lead to more people voting bnp as i hope not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not with the way Blair has conducted himself today. When I woke up this morning, I didn't have an ounce of respect for him. Now, I think I may feel differently

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I don't think it will, not majorly anyway, anyone who starts to blame all muslims/asians etc for this are already ignorant and will not have had their views created by this incident, but by years of reading the Sun and the Mail. The only thing I'm scared of is the govt using it as an excuse to push through ID cards, so called "anti-terrorist" measures, incitement to racial hatred laws etc whilst still claiming that the terrorists will not be allowed to change our way of life and challenge our freedoms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There wasn't much opposition to the ID cards on OTF when this was brought up in a thread a few weeks ago, sadly..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juventino4Life:

Yup, George W Bush's war on terrorism has really worked so far icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, lets all blame the americans rather than the perpetrators of the atrocities. " icon_rolleyes.gif "

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juventino4Life:

Yup, George W Bush's war on terrorism has really worked so far icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, lets all blame the americans rather than the perpetrators of the atrocities. " icon_rolleyes.gif " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah I blame both, the perpetrators for being asshole for killing innocent people and George Bush for doing the samein Iraq

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I don't think it will, not majorly anyway, anyone who starts to blame all muslims/asians etc for this are already ignorant and will not have had their views created by this incident, but by years of reading the Sun and the Mail. The only thing I'm scared of is the govt using it as an excuse to push through ID cards, so called "anti-terrorist" measures, incitement to racial hatred laws etc whilst still claiming that the terrorists will not be allowed to change our way of life and challenge our freedoms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There wasn't much opposition to the ID cards on OTF when this was brought up in a thread a few weeks ago, sadly.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iirc that's because some of the people arguing against them were using stupid arguments, I'm not 100% against ID cards, but I don't believe they are necessary or cost effective, and I certainly don't expect them to help against terrorism. I'm not sure if they've gone through the commons yet, but I know there is a lot of political resistance to them, even from within Labour and to get it through the commons and the Lords would not be easy, however now it might be somewhat easier. David Davis incidentaly has just said they wouldn't have helped and for once I agree with him. icon_biggrin.gif

yup, lets all blame the americans rather than the perpetrators of the atrocities. " icon_rolleyes.gif " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

action, reaction, reaction, reaction, etc etc etc someone has to stop it somewhere.

There wasn't much opposition to the ID cards on OTF when this was brought up in a thread a few weeks ago, sadly.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

people buy the "nothing to hide nothing to fear!" nonsense.

i think they'll change their minds, eventually

I used to work round the corner from Edgeware Road. The banks there all have arabic writing, and recently the Bank of Islam also opened up on the road. It's a bank which conforms to islamic law (no interest and oither such things).

Nah I blame both, the perpetrators for being asshole for killing innocent people and George Bush for doing the samein Iraq </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iraq is at war. This would be like him bombing Cairo or somewhere just because they´re not western enough.

George Bush simply escalated violence, instead of using peacefull methods and resoultions, he decides to strike back by going to Iraq after 9/11 with ******** reasons and doing what terrorist did in America, but this time to Iraq and thats killing innocent people. When you strike back with violence, its a simplyt vicious circle that never ends and today unfortunately that was Al Qaeida's retaliation.

action, reaction, reaction, reaction, etc etc etc someone has to stop it somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arr, when one side has been annihilated.

George Bush simply escalated violence, instead of using peacefull methods and resoultions, he decides to strike back by going to Iraq after 9/11 with ******** reasons and doing what terrorist did in America, but this time to Iraq and thats killing innocent people. When you strike back with violence, its a simplyt vicious circle that never ends and today unfortunately that was Al Qaeida's retaliation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironic how he mentioned these evil people killing innocent people. Pot.Kettle. Black

Archived