The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 03/04

Ter

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we found the guilty party, i saw this post on Follow Follow <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Posted by giomaddogg on 18 May 13:04 Email | Complain | Previous | Next | Reply

re: Alex Rae ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I especially like the bit about how he has asked to room share with Boumsong to educate him about Rangers and there Traditions.

Does that mean he is going to try and learn Boumsong to sign the Sash?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

I think we found the guilty party, i saw this post on Follow Follow <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Posted by giomaddogg on 18 May 13:04 Email | Complain | Previous | Next | Reply

re: Alex Rae ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I especially like the bit about how he has asked to room share with Boumsong to educate him about Rangers and there Traditions.

_Does that mean he is going to try and learn Boumsong to sign the Sash? _

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Wee Barry really should stop speeding up and down the motorway. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think Rae will be a really good signing for you guys. I like him as a player and he should have a year or two left in his legs....

Only doubt I suppose would be injuries. I have no idea what he's like in terms of being Injury prone, but he did seem out a lot for wolves. Plus, as gudge says, he'll definately play for the shirt

I think its a good signing, we missed a player to get really stuck in when things weren't going good last season and Alex could well be the guy to do it.. 2 year deal may be a bit long but he is a good solid player and we didnt have to pay anything so its not all bad icon_smile.gif

Now a left winger and a striker would be nice

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Nice:

I think Rae will be a really good signing for you guys. I like him as a player and he should have a year or two left in his legs....

Only doubt I suppose would be injuries. I have no idea what he's like in terms of being Injury prone, but he did seem out a lot for wolves. Plus, as gudge says, he'll definately play for the shirt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rae will give everything. he has played pretty much all this season, bar the last few games when he was left out after it became apparent he was moving to rangers (tho' frankly, to suggest this would cause a lack of effort would be an insult to the man). he played little the season before, but only because cameron and ince were the chosen central pairing for most of that season. his injury record has been very good so far as i can recall. you have yourselves a fine player, even in his latter years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GP1873:

The thing I dont get about Capucho is how he has turned so bad. He was great at Porto, ripped Celtic apart in the CL and when he comes to us he is utter pish.

Thank feck we got rid of him! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His problem was that he had retired before he got to Ibrox.

Can't help get the feeling that he was a Murray gedditrightupye signing (see Adamczuk, Latapy, Emerson, etc) than somebody that McLeish was keen to sign.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

ALEX McLEISH has revealed that he will sell Fernando Ricksen and Mikel Arteta, but only if the price is right. He has put contract talks with Craig Moore on hold and hopes to complete a deal to keep Shota Arveladze within the next week.

There has been mounting speculation about the futures of all four players as each of them runs out of contract in the summer of 2005 so the Rangers boss needs to know where he stands as he prepares for the new season.

Arteta seems to harbour a preference to return to Spain while Ricksen, who has turned down two contract offers, has made it plain to the club that he wants to quit.

McLeish said: "All the speculation definitely creates uncertainty. On Mikel, unless we get a realistic offer then he will be coming back next season.

"As far as Fernando goes, two good contract offers have been made to him which he has rejected. Similarly, if we don't get an acceptable offer then he will be with us for the start of the season.

"However, his preference is to move on from Rangers."

Arveladze is close to fully recovering from the knee problem which ended his season prematurely as he is now back running at Murray Park and McLeish hopes to get a resolution with the Georgian striker one way or the other.

He said: "We will be meeting with his agent within the coming week and we hope to reach a resolution. We know now that Shota's injury problems will be cleared up in advance of the season."

Club captain Moore is currently in Australia where he had tidy up surgery on his knee and is working with former Rangers physio Bill Collins as well as the Australian national team medical staff as he rehabilitates.

He made some inflammatory comments two weeks ago about wanting assurances about the strength of the squad before committing himself to the club.

He is not due back in Scotland until mid-June and McLeish would only say: "No decision will be taken on him until he reaches peak fitness."

So far, eight players have left the club - the de Boers, Michael Mols, Henning Berg, Nuno Capucho, Emerson, Christian Nerlinger and Egil Ostenstad - while Jean-Alain Boumsong, Dado Prso, Alex Rae and Marvin Andrews have all been recruited on Bosmans.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder what they will classify as "reasonable offers" - £3m for Arteta, £1m for Ricksen?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haz5168:

What's the betting that we'll end up playing whatever team Capucho signs for in a European match, and he'll play like god against us icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not likely he'll end up at the team we'll lose to in the CL Qual Round is it? icon_biggrin.gif

Boumsong started for France tonight. I only saw the first half and that was the first time I've seen him but he looked pretty solid - strong, good in the air and not bad on the ball either.

The good old SFA, you just can't beat them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers forward Peter Lovenkrands has been asked by the Scottish Football Association to explain his criticism of Celtic midfielder Alan Thompson following an incident with Fernando Ricksen in the final Old Firm derby of the season.

Thompson was seen to slap Ricksen in the face seconds after Chris Sutton had netted the only goal of the game for Celtic in stoppage time on May 8.

Ricksen descibed it as "vicious" while Thompson insisted it had been nothing more than a "playful tap".

The SFA decided no action was to be taken, although the incident fell squarely within the remit of its controversial video evidence review panel.

That panel had previously punished Ricksen on two occasions for on-field incidents that had been caught on camera.

The failure to begin proceedings against Thompson led to criticism from Rangers manager Alex McLeish, who claimed that his players were not being treated fairly.

Lovenkrands went further, insisting Thompson's actions were a "disgrace" that could have "started a riot".

He had said at the time: "I think it's a disgrace what he did to Fernando - even it was just a wee kiddie-on thing.

"Everyone knows how big that Old Firm game is and you don't do that. You can start a riot doing stuff like that."

And the SFA have written to the Dane asking for his comments and the matter is set to be dealt with by the general purposes committee, which next meets on June 7.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rangers star Fernando Ricksen has accused manager Alex McLeish of costing him a place in Holland's Euro 2004 squad.

Ricksen believes McLeish's preference to play him in midfield this season ended his chance to break into Dick Advocaat's final squad.

Former Rangers boss Advocaat had warned Ricksen that he would only play him at right back as they have enough midfielders in the squad.

Ricksen rues the fact that despite pleading to be played at full back at Ibrox he has been used in a midfield role and he is not surprised at missing out on the trip to Portugal this summer.

"I knew when that happened that I was not going to Euro 2004," Ricksen told the Scottish Sun.

"The national manager Dick Advocaat made it clear to me that I had to play right back and I made that clear to Alex McLeish.

"This season has cost me a lot and I told the Rangers manager lots of times that it would."

Ricksen also hit out at the club, accusing them of double standards as he tried to negotiate a new contract.

The Dutchman has been placed on the transfer list after turning down two offers to extend his contract.

Ricksen is unhappy that he was told he would not be getting a pay rise due to the club's financial problems only to see them splash the cash to sign Monaco's Dado Prso.

"They can't tell me one week there's no money and then the next they are signing Dado Prso, a striker who could go to AC Milan and is in the Champions League final," added Ricksen.

"The only thing I had was a vague promise of `if we win prizes next year you won't be forgotten'. That's not negotiation."

Despite being put up for sale Ricksen believes his future at Ibrox is far from over.

"I still don't think I have played my last game for Rangers," concluded Ricksen.

AHAHAHAHAH mad Ricksen, he is a better midfielder than he is a fullback so he should just chuck it if he wants to play fullback.

get rid of the fud \o/

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

tbh when i watched Konterman v Chelsea in the CL the year before he joined us he looked quite good icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean...

I saw him play for Holland in the World Cup and he looked good icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>HE IS hoping to earn his first cap next week, but David McNamee has never been far from the Scotland team. Brought up in Mount Florida, he and his mates tried countless times to sneak through the doors of the National Stadium and out on to surface, but never succeeded. They settled instead for scaling the walls of Lesser Hampden or, if a game was on, started a kickabout on the ash pitches nearby. "Obviously you had to watch out for broken glass, syringes and stuff like that," he says.

He remembers the international matchdays, the crowds passing his house, the cars parked outside. Now he is closer still to wearing the dark blue, having played so well for Livingston in this season’s CIS Cup final at Hampden that Berti Vogts called him up for the friendly against Romania in March. He would have started that match at right-back had it not been for a hamstring injury that forced him to withdraw from the squad.

Last month, he travelled with the rest of Scotland’s players to Copenhagen, but never made it off the bench. This week, he is preparing for a double-header that offers him his best chance yet, a prospect so tantalising he can almost taste it. If, as expected, he makes his debut against Estonia in Tallin on Thursday, or against Trinidad and Tobago at Easter Road three days later, he will become the first Livingston player to win a Scotland cap.

McNamee is only 23, but after a whirlwind start to his career, it seems to have been a long time coming. Half a season with St Mirren when he was only 17 was enough to persuade Blackburn Rovers that he and his team-mate, Burton O’Brien, were worthy of a contract. In over three years at Ewood Park, however, neither Brian Kidd nor his successor as manager, Graeme Souness, offered him a single appearance in the first team.

"I could count on one hand the number of words Mr Souness spoke to me, apart from the meeting when he said that he wasn’t interested in playing me. I would walk past him in the corridors, but that was more or less it. He has his players he is interested in, and the ones he is not. If you’re not on that list, you can say cheerio."

When he finally escaped the cold shoulder two summers ago, there were more obstacles in his path. He struggled at first to displace Philippe Brinquin from the Livingston side and, after eventually succeeding, he sustained a groin injury that sidelined him for over three months. "I was beginning to think my dad had annoyed some gypsy somewhere and a curse had been put on us."

The hype, they said, had been excessive. McNamee’s early leap into the big time had denied him the development he needed. "I would probably agree now with the people who said it had come a bit early. I could have stayed with St Mirren for another season or two, and got more experience, but it is difficult to turn down an opportunity like that."

Now, judged at last on an entire season of first-team football, McNamee is proving himself. The cup-winning display at Hampden was the highlight of a campaign in which he has established himself as the best wing-back in the country after Didier Agathe. "The thing I kept holding on to was that Blackburn wouldn’t have bought me at such an early age if I didn’t have the ability."

Even before the start of this season, McNamee was saying that he hoped to win a cap before the end of it. "I knew that, if I could get myself fit and playing every week, I would have a chance, especially with the wing-back role. It is a position a lot of people can’t play. Darren Fletcher is too creative to play wide and you could argue that Jackie McNamara, who is capable of playing on the right, is more of a full-back. It’s an opportunity for me."

The problem for McNamee is that Vogts’ favoured system of late does not include a wing-back. The young defender will have to play either on the right side of midfield or compete with McNamara at full-back. An energetic, tough- tackling defender, he is at his best rampaging up the right flank, as he has done since Livingston adopted a 3-5-2 system after Marcio Maximo’s departure in October.

It has been the season in which McNamee has managed at last to distinguish himself from O’Brien. One could not be mentioned without the other from the moment both moved to Blackburn, shared digs in the Lancashire town and then joined Livingston together in an attempt to end their frustration. "It got a bit annoying at times. It was as if people thought we lived together or something. They treated us like Siamese twins."

The two, in fact, could hardly be more different. McNamee is a right-footed product of Rangers Boys Club, O’Brien a left-footer of Celtic origin. The budding Scotland international maintains that he is more laid-back than his colleague, although 12 yellow cards and two suspensions this season suggest otherwise. Given Vogts’ liking for passionate players who put themselves about, it is a wonder it has taken the national coach this long to discover the Livi Lion who roars loudest.

In November, when referee Stuart Dougal awarded Hearts an injury-time penalty in what turned out to be a 3-1 defeat at Tynecastle, McNamee called the decision a "****ing disgrace" and was sent off for the first time in his career. "That was a bit excessive, especially as the referee in question was caught later on swearing at Rangers players. I wouldn’t consider myself a dirty player. I have never gone in to hurt anybody. Being aggressive and having that fiery temperament is part of my game, but I wouldn’t say I have ever been over the top."

It is not difficult to see why McNamee is a bundle of energy. His father, Kenny, was a footballer who played for Possil YM, and his sister, Karen, now a doctor, won three silver medals as a runner in the British Athletics Championship. "I don’t think I could have worked in an office or even gone to university," he says. "I’m too fidgety. If I hadn’t made it as a footballer, I might have gone into the army or the police, but I don’t have the attention span for anything else."

In the photo shoot to accompany this interview, the wheeze was to have him washing his BMW with bucket and sponge, but within a few minutes he and his girlfriend, Becky from Blackburn, were throwing water over each other. This, after all, is the man who posed for a tabloid newspaper as Vincent van Gogh, a reference to the chunk of ear he has been without since somebody bit it in a nightclub last season.

It was part of his attempt to deny any wrongdoing that night. "The last thing I wanted people to think was that, just because I loved a tackle on the pitch, I was some kind of ned who gets himself into bother off the pitch. Nothing could be further from the truth. I’m not one for going out, I’m not a great clubber, and I’m not even a good drinker."

McNamee is too ambitious to allow his reputation to be tainted in that way. Having already tasted English football, he makes no secret of his desire to return there, or even play for Rangers, the team he supports. He is one of only five Livingston players still under contract, but the poverty-stricken club are in no position to reject an offer by Alex McLeish, who is reported to be interested.

Last Saturday night, after the final match of their season, the Livingston players sat round a crate of beer, wondering whether any of them would be back there after the summer break. "It has been a weird season," says McNamee. "Even at the cup final, the thing I remember most is going into the dressing room and finding Emmanuel Dorado just sitting there cleaning his boots. Being in administration had something to do with that. We knew we were losing some friends."

McNamee knows how it feels to be rejected. Now, at least, with a cup-winner’s medal and international recognition just around the corner, a move elsewhere would be for the right reasons. His motivation, as it has been since the day he left Blackburn, is to satisfy himself that Souness made a mistake. "I said to his face that he was wrong. Maybe some day soon I will be able to prove it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Intresting article about a lad who is supposed to be Fernandoh's replacement

Why do we need McNamee?

He's a decent player but we have Hutton and Ross. I know not many people rate Ross, but I think he's a decent player who lost a lot of confidence. Even if Ross is let go, Zurab can play right-back too, even though I'd say he's only about half as good a full-back than he is a centre-back.

According to the Sunday Post, Rangers were priced out Kevin Phillips and James Beattie. Southampton were looking for £15m for the pair of them - £10m for Beattie and £5m for Phillips.

Sign Novo!

Lets get some serious posting in, the Tims thread has raced well ahead of ours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibroxclubworshipper:

Lets get some serious posting in, the Tims thread has raced well ahead of ours. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a competition, hence me posting a response. icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haz5168:

£5m for Phillips? They must have thought this was still the old Rangers' regime out there signing players. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They paid £3 million for him less than a year ago though. They were hardly likely to biting our hand off if our offer was anything like the reported £1.5 million. Especially when they don't really need the money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Kaiserslautern have completed the signing of former Rangers midfielder Christian Nerlinger.

The German was allowed to move on by Gers chief Alex McLeish and he was quickly contacted by the Red Devils.

Nerlinger, who had a torrid time with injuries at Ibrox, is looking to get his career back on track having signed a three-year deal with Kaiserslautern.

"It's a new start for me and in a way it's the same for Kaiserslautern," Nerlinger told Kaiserslautern's official website.

"I'm ready to return to Die Bundesliga and hope we'll be successful.

"The desire Kaiserslautern showed to sign me was the reason behind the transfer."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Everton boss David Moyes is set to bring Rangers skipper Craig Moore to Goodison Park.

The 28-year-old Australian defender has been targeted by the Everton boss for some time now and transfer talks are already at an advanced stage.

Moore joined Rangers in 1993 but although he filled a variety of positions for the first team, he could never command a regular place and decided to try his luck at Crystal Palace.

But the London club's massive financial problems saw them unable to pay the balance of the transfer fee so Moore returned to Ibrox after just 24 senior appearances for the Selhurst Park club.

Rangers boss Dick Advocaat partnered Moore with Lorenzo Amoruso at the start of the 1999/2000 season but knee problems saw the Australian miss out on practically the whole of the following campaign and much of the 2001/2 season before returning to action to feature strongly in the fantastic Treble success of the following year.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boumsong & Zurab first choice central defence next season then.

I'd go with that, except the Celtic games where i'd play Andrews and Zurab in midfield man marking lemon <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Least we know which defender is going to be crocked next year.

Man marking Lennon ... hahahahahah

Have we been linked with Stern John?

I say a line somewhere in a transfer gossip thing that "Stern Johns says he would have no problem joing Rangers".

I'd have a problem with it though icon_frown.gif

Aye Stern John has been talking himself into a move to Ibrox. No wonder he wants to leave Birmingham - being behind Heskey in the pecking order.

Dunno if he'd be any better than what we have or help in Europe. Again I say bring in Novo !

Archived