Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Sorry to repeat but...

A couple of questions:

a) does tempo / intensity influences hassle and close down ?

b) does team instructions impose over player instructions ?

c) are the mental attributes of a player what determines his body language at the match or is there anything else that has an influence ??? I'm asking because I don't think his moral seems to influence because several times I have players with excellent moral and still the body language is kind of bad

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Got a tactical problem, right now I'm playing newcastle in a 4-4-2. And we setup as follows.

gk

RB - Fullback Attack, CB - Central defender, CB - Central defender, LB - Left back support

RM - WM Attack, CM - DLP defend, CM - CM support, WM - Attack

RS - AFW, LS - DLF support.

I'm also playing a standard/balanced strategy. My main point beeing albeit scoring goals I struggle for posession. My midfielders often get cought out or go too direct. Any pointer on how to fix this? Would like to get atlest regular 50% if not abit more posession as the team I buildt easily got 2nd in the league, and do have technically gifted players.

4-4-2 doesn't retain possession, if you want higher possession then you'll need to change shape. To retain possession you need options in midfield which the 4-4-2 lacks. Against lesser sides 50% shouldn't really be an issue but against half decent sides or sides who have the numbers advantage in the middle this will always be the issue.

Sorry to repeat but...

A couple of questions:

c) are the mental attributes of a player what determines his body language at the match or is there anything else that has an influence ??? I'm asking because I don't think his moral seems to influence because several times I have players with excellent moral and still the body language is kind of bad

and I will add one more

d) does general training intensity influences ppm's training ? I usualy set focus on ppm training more percentage but I have general training set at balanced / medium.

Sorry to repeat but...

A couple of questions:

a) Pretty sure it just relates to the speed at which you move the ball when in possession.

b) No, vice versa.

c) No idea.

c) Hidden attributes + team talk + morale + situational stuff (like competing for the 1st spot, trying to avoid relegation, how well you're doing in the match, how much pressure the team recieves/puts on the opposition, ...) combined with hidden and visible attributes.

c) Hidden attributes + team talk + morale + situational stuff (like competing for the 1st spot, trying to avoid relegation, how well you're doing in the match, how much pressure the team recieves/puts on the opposition, ...) combined with hidden and visible attributes.

Thanks Steve

As for this one... d) does general training intensity influences ppm's training ??? I usualy set focus on ppm training more percentage but I have general training set at balanced / medium

I've been training a promising regen DM that was only competent at CM for about 12 months now and I've only just noticed that he is now a natural at playing CM. Not sure how long he's been capable of this because I forgot to keep checking. If I remove his position training will he lose it, or will he always keep his new natural position?

He will only have ever played as a CM for my u21s and u18s sides as I don't use DMs.

I've been training a promising regen DM that was only competent at CM for about 12 months now and I've only just noticed that he is now a natural at playing CM. Not sure how long he's been capable of this because I forgot to keep checking. If I remove his position training will he lose it, or will he always keep his new natural position?

He will only have ever played as a CM for my u21s and u18s sides as I don't use DMs.

he'll keep it if you play him in that position.

Mine too, I think we're arguing the same point, sorry for the confusion.

Hes already Model Pro so I dont want to lose this by tutoring him with someone who is determined just to get his determination up.

I would, however, like to find a way to increase his determination without risking the Model Pro personality, hence the original question.

Cheers

Play him in his position and fill the other 10 spaces with your subs/backups. Warn/fine him for his poor performance in the inevitable 4-0 defeat you will suffer. Hopefully you'll get a point of determination out of it.

What kind of striker would work best as a lone striker in a 4231?

He'd have an IF(A) - AP(S) - W(A) set up behind him.

Going to buy a new striker in January as my current one is absolutely awful

Most people here will tell you one that excels in a support role, because you want them to get more involved in build-up play. So, someone with good attributes for DLF/S, CF/S, or TM/S.

Most people here will tell you one that excels in a support role, because you want them to get more involved in build-up play. So, someone with good attributes for DLF/S, CF/S, or TM/S.

I have a CF/S at the moment and he's garbage. He's got good stats but never performs! I have an AMC though(albeit on support duty themselves) so is that really needed?

If you use a support AMC I'd be more inclined to use an attacking striker like a AF rather than a support duty. If you use an attacking AMC then a support striker works best.

Thank you :) I think Advanced Forward might be the way to go then!

Can anyone confirm if 'more risky passes' relates to the amount of 'through balls' the players will attempt, or is it just that they will try more difficult passes when easier ones are available?

It tells you what it does if you hover over it in game :)

Clarification question following removal of sliders. When you use Tactical Creator to set up a Counter attacking approach, am I right in assuming that the default automatically sets you up to defend deep and then break at pace when possession gained? The reason I ask is that all team instructions are still all available, including drop deeper and more direct. If you did tick these would you then just defend even deeper and play even more direct when possession gained?

Clarification question following removal of sliders. When you use Tactical Creator to set up a Counter attacking approach, am I right in assuming that the default automatically sets you up to defend deep and then break at pace when possession gained? The reason I ask is that all team instructions are still all available, including drop deeper and more direct. If you did tick these would you then just defend even deeper and play even more direct when possession gained?

Yea I think so. I bet if you play with a "contain" strategy, the "defend even deeper" would become unavailable at the very least.

I am horrible at analyzing tactics. Without providing a lot of detail and without you knowing much about the tactic, when you see the box score of a match with 30+ shots, <10 on target and only 2-3 goals, and about 60% possession, what do you think is causing the high shot rates, but very little actually on target? Without knowing the tactic, what would your guess be to why with all those shot opportunities are very little actually being on target? thanks

Im a little confused when i comes to the assist chart when you get an scout report on the opposition.

gysb.jpg

Am i right in thinking when you look at the chart the number 13 i have a red box around is the opposition left side and the number 8 with the blue box is the right side for the opposition? Now the bit that really confuses me is the red half of the chart. The areas the oppositions concede from. The number 2 in the black box is that showing they have conceded 2 goals from assists from their right hand side and 9 assists from on their left hand side?

So in theory looking at the chart i would be better to attack down my right where they have had 9 assists against. Is that correct? I hope i have explained it well enough so everyone understands what im trying to say.

I am horrible at analyzing tactics. Without providing a lot of detail and without you knowing much about the tactic, when you see the box score of a match with 30+ shots, <10 on target and only 2-3 goals, and about 60% possession, what do you think is causing the high shot rates, but very little actually on target? Without knowing the tactic, what would your guess be to why with all those shot opportunities are very little actually being on target? thanks

I would assume too many long shots from too many players that aren't very good at long shots - so I'd try the "work ball into box" shout. I'd also take a look at the match stats and analysis screens, and see which player or players are the culprits, and give them the "shoot less often" player instruction.

Apologies, I forgot to mention that I tried AF and he played awful. Appreciate the responses, I think Im going to try CF(A) next

AF works fine.

Why not spend time trying to see why it played awful for you rather than keep trying all different roles in the extreme rare case you stumble across a fix? You've mentioned that you have struggled despite what the strikers role is. This suggest that the rest of your set up is flawed somehow and for some reason the players you want to get the ball aren't receiving it well enough. If this is the case then the issues are elsewhere and not with the striker role. Why not try and figure out what the actual issues are?

AF works fine.

Why not spend time trying to see why it played awful for you rather than keep trying all different roles in the extreme rare case you stumble across a fix? You've mentioned that you have struggled despite what the strikers role is. This suggest that the rest of your set up is flawed somehow and for some reason the players you want to get the ball aren't receiving it well enough. If this is the case then the issues are elsewhere and not with the striker role. Why not try and figure out what the actual issues are?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I will give that a go, as I'm honestly not sure where the problem lies. I watch the highlights of the game and for the most part our team works well, it just seems that the striker is never involved in the play. We managed to mount a very good run of form at the end of last season and nearly won the league, so my tactic appears to work fine even without a striker that performs. But as you said, it'd probably be best to look at my tactic as a whole.

Cheers

Just a quick question. Do you think when playing in the lower leagues I'm talking about the BSS specififically here. That there are some formations that the players aren't good enough to use. For example could I use a strikerless formation in there or does it not really make much difference?

Just a quick question. Do you think when playing in the lower leagues I'm talking about the BSS specififically here. That there are some formations that the players aren't good enough to use. For example could I use a strikerless formation in there or does it not really make much difference?

Anything can work in any league. It comes down to how well you translate your ideas or how well you understand the strengths/weakness of what you try and use.

My personal view is that you can play however you like at any level. That extends to formations, Roles, Fluidity etc.

It may not work as effectively as at a higher level, but that is due to the players available, rather than the quality of the set up.

My personal view is that you can play however you like at any level. That extends to formations, Roles, Fluidity etc.

It may not work as effectively as at a higher level, but that is due to the players available, rather than the quality of the set up.

Thanks I've always assumed you had to be pretty direct. But I'm beginning to think not hence why I asked the question. Thanks for this :)

I would assume too many long shots from too many players that aren't very good at long shots - so I'd try the "work ball into box" shout. I'd also take a look at the match stats and analysis screens, and see which player or players are the culprits, and give them the "shoot less often" player instruction.

Thanks. I will make those adjustments and see if it makes it a bit better.

Too many long shots isn't normally down to players being poor at them or too much creative freedom. The main culprit of long shots comes from lack of forward options and lack of intelligent movement. You'll tend to find 9/10 its actually due to this.

Too many long shots isn't normally down to players being poor at them or too much creative freedom. The main culprit of long shots comes from lack of forward options and lack of intelligent movement. You'll tend to find 9/10 its actually due to this.

Ya I've been paying close attention to my match stats for the past few matches and I've been having 30+ shots, with only about 5-6 of them being long shots, and they were by a guy with a 18 in long shot. And for player instructions, It has already been "work into the box"

So, something else is causing this. I would have no problem trading a dozen or so shot attempts for a few more shots on goal. I am not entirely worried that I am getting that much shots. I guess it shows that this tactic has a lot of opportunities, It just needs to be slightly tweaked so there are better and smarter shots.

Can you be more specific when you says "lack of forward options" and "intelligent movement"? Does intelligent movement fall under team instructions? In this formation I have 3 forwards, 3 midfielders, a DM and 3 DC's.

I dont want to re-haul this tactic since I am doing extremely well with it, I just want to improve my shooting/scoring efficiency. Get 30+ shots off for most of the matches but only getting 6-8 on target is a bit unacceptable.

Can you be more specific when you says "lack of forward options" and "intelligent movement"? Does intelligent movement fall under team instructions? In this formation I have 3 forwards, 3 midfielders, a DM and 3 DC's.

If you pause the game when you are attacking, and the ball carrier is say on the centre circle, what options does he have?

Does he have runners beyond him, offering a forward pass?

If you advance the play and see what options you have in the final third, you'll see what Cleon means.

A long shot often happens when there is no alternative. Either there is no movement from team mates, or that movement was too early (and so too predictable) and that runner is now marked. Get movement right and the long shots will reduce.

If you pause the game when you are attacking, and the ball carrier is say on the centre circle, what options does he have?

Does he have runners beyond him, offering a forward pass?

If you advance the play and see what options you have in the final third, you'll see what Cleon means.

A long shot often happens when there is no alternative. Either there is no movement from team mates, or that movement was too early (and so too predictable) and that runner is now marked. Get movement right and the long shots will reduce.

Thanks, I will check that out in a bit. But like I said, according to my previous several matches, there really aren't any long shots. They are all happening in the box except for 5 or so.

Thanks, I will check that out in a bit. But like I said, according to my previous several matches, there really aren't any long shots. They are all happening in the box except for 5 or so.

30 shots is too many to be honest.

If you look at the stats, who is taking all the shots?

Can you post a screenshot of your Roles, Duties and Team Instructions?

The description for team shout Be more Expressive is "Be More expressive will allow more creative players the freedom to play the game with additional creativity and flair outside of the confines of a team's tactical setup". This shout is presumably best used if you have creative players with good decision making to help break down a defence. Some clarification of the impact of this shout would be appreciated:

a) Does the shout apply to all team members, irrespective of their creativity attribute level, increasing their likelihood of trying something creative and potentially more risky?

b) Does the shout only apply to players whose creativity attribute is over a certain threshold?

c) Does the shout only apply to players in certain positions/roles? Are limited defenders not affected but ball playing defenders affected etc?

Am really trying to get a better feel for the extent of this shout - I have plenty of creative players in the AM strata with good decision making but am concerned that less creative defenders will try riskier options.......

30 shots is too many to be honest.

If you look at the stats, who is taking all the shots?

Can you post a screenshot of your Roles, Duties and Team Instructions?

Just to clarify, this is not my tactic, nor am I taking credit for it. I am also not taking any credit for it even if I make my own tweaks. The tweaks would be for my own personal use and not to turn around and recommend to this forum. I have had great results with this tactic, but I just want to try to make a tweak or two (if needed) to improve the Shots/Shots on target %. With that being said, If I am still in any violation of forum rules, then please let me know.

rkot55.jpg