Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.

Counter press is when our team loses the ball and immediately press the opposition, right? And then, if they fail to win the ball during that short period, they will retreat to their DL and LOE settings? Thanks.

yes, your out of possession instructions in general

Edited by CARRERA

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Only thing i could imagine then is some kind of player trait that holds him back. usually on ositive WB on attack should bomb forward and overlap naturally.

He doesn’t have those traits. I don’t understand why at all. I’m considering moving him to wbr strata just to fix it

Edited by _mxrky

1 saat önce, _mxrky said:

How do I get my rb to go really high up the pitch like a 325?

even on Wb attack he’s behind or level with my dms

If you want this for pressing, you need to increase defensive line + his pressing intensity. If you want this for getting him higher when your team has the ball, use overlap TI for that side + higher defensive line.

By the way what is your formation?

Edited by zabyl

1 hour ago, zabyl said:

If you want this for pressing, you need to increase defensive line + his pressing intensity. If you want this for getting him higher when your team has the ball, use overlap TI for that side + higher defensive line.

It’s for the latter. Issue with the overlap ti is that it affects the mentality of the player in front which isn’t ideal but I guess I’ll have to deal with it

Edited by _mxrky

2 hours ago, _mxrky said:

How do I get my rb to go really high up the pitch like a 325?

even on Wb attack he’s behind or level with my dms

Based on his average position analysis post match or based on actually watching his movement during matches?  If the former that's perfectly normal as it averages out his position during the course of 90 mins.  If the latter you'll need to give us a copy of a match pkm because an attacking wingback who stays level (or behind) DMs is not something I've ever come across and would need to see examples to understand what's happening.

Does direct-attacking football become obsolete when you get to a certain level/reputation? Is it impossible to unlock cautious opponents with this brand of football? 

I've been recruiting players who are suited to direct-attacking since 4 seasons. Extreme mobility, high work rate/determination/aggression/bravery, good jumping/heading. We enjoyed great overachievements. The opponents don't give me much space anymore. Do i need to switch my playstyle to a disgusting short-patient style? :lol:

Edited by Halbraum

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Based on his average position analysis post match or based on actually watching his movement during matches?  If the former that's perfectly normal as it averages out his position during the course of 90 mins.  If the latter you'll need to give us a copy of a match pkm because an attacking wingback who stays level (or behind) DMs is not something I've ever come across and would need to see examples to understand what's happening.

It’s based on average position and he does go up when I watch his movement, but still not sure it’s high enough to replicate a 325 shape.

think I found the work around by adding overlap right to the wing back on attack and having the winger on an attack duty as well

7 hours ago, Halbraum said:

Does direct-attacking football become obsolete when you get to a certain level/reputation? Is it impossible to unlock cautious opponents with this brand of football? 

I've been recruiting players who are suited to direct-attacking since 4 seasons. Extreme mobility, high work rate/determination/aggression/bravery, good jumping/heading. We enjoyed great overachievements. The opponents don't give me much space anymore. Do i need to switch my playstyle to a disgusting short-patient style? :lol:

No, you can still do that. What you can’t do Is hoofing the ball up the pitch and hoping that one of your striker beats the whole defensive line in a 1v2+

2 hours ago, _mxrky said:

With the ball

Ok, but I still don’t think it’s representative, because often your attacking transition starts in your own half. And the 2-3-5 is a positional formation for the attacking third. That’s why I would rather look how your team lines up when in the final third of the pitch.

i assume you don’t want your Wing backs defensive starting position when transitioning into the attack to be like a winger

Edited by CARRERA

10 hours ago, Halbraum said:

I don't see why it can't, so long as your midfielders & forwards can out jump the other team's defenders, it's a perfectly valid play style against anyone  

On 16/09/2021 at 06:08, Tikka Mezzala said:

With regards to the 'stopper' and 'cover' duties, what scenarios are these duties best employed in?

I know the obvious option for the cover seems to be when a team looks to get their forward in behind you. But does it have any relation to inside forwards trying to make angled runs in behind? Can a covering defender negate this movement by occupying the space the IF would look to exploit? Also, as for the space left in front of the covering defender, is it only advisable to use 'cover' when there is a player in the DM strata to deal with that extra vacated space?

I have very little idea about 'stoppers'. I get the idea is to be more aggressive and step out of the backline, and the obvious risks this poses of getting turned or passed around, but what kind of set-up is it best used against and avoided against? 

I've used "cover" far more than "stopper." The latter really only makes sense to me when playing 3ATB, or situationally in a 442/4411, when you're not using a DM, but need someone to close down that space, without compromising your structure elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, _mxrky said:

I’m using a 424 dm formation (with ml/mr)

Can I still press high with this and if so what line of engagement and defensive line would be best?

or am I better off just switching to aml/mr to achieve this.

Unless I've misunderstood, you're playing 442 DM not 424 DM. For me, the wingers being in the CM/AM strata is big of a deal (provided mentality, tactics, and instructions are right), as not having anyone centrally in the CM/AM strata. It seems that'd create a huge pocket for teams to play into and break through your press with relative ease. 

TBF, I've never tried it, but I've never tried it because it doesn't make sense to me. 

Is it in any way possible to see what tactical tweaks you've made through a previous game you played? Just had a game where I altered a few things and everything suddenly 'clicked', but I didn't take a screenshot and now I'm wondering if I'm missing something when trying to replicate it.

1 hour ago, KlaaZ said:

Is it in any way possible to see what tactical tweaks you've made through a previous game you played? Just had a game where I altered a few things and everything suddenly 'clicked', but I didn't take a screenshot and now I'm wondering if I'm missing something when trying to replicate it.

Don't think there is, I wish you could 

8 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Which striker will operate most like a number 10 when I have the ball. Dlf (s), f(9) or T(A)

They all operate as 10s, though the Treq has the most freedom to do what he wants so could be the most aggressive. Any Support Duty striker would be the first place I'd look.

You can select 11 roles perfectly suited to the players abilities, but the selected roles might not work well together.

You can select 11 roles creating the perfect tactic, but your players might not fit the role description particularly well.

Which is more important - roles or players? :) 

Edited by Footix

19 minutes ago, Footix said:

You can select 11 roles perfectly suited to the players abilities, but the selected roles might not work well together.

You can select 11 roles creating the perfect tactic, but your players might not fit the role description particularly well.

That's a good question. Personally I think players because with good players you ca still get results even if the roles are not perfect but it's more difficult the other way around

Edited by DarJ

35 minutes ago, Footix said:

Players. They need the attributes & PPMS to carry out the role you give them. You set your roles then because they have one or two low or high attributes which means they're more suitable for another role is just that. You just need to make sure you have the players with the right attributes for the role you give them & what you want them to do. ie you wouldn't want a playmaker with terrible composure & the "shoots from distance"  PPM but you might might have a player with great playmaker attributes the "dictates tempo" PPM but he's rated best a ballwinning midfielder

Like I was was watching  a video last night & noticed Kyle Walker's most suitable role was FB defend. I doubt Pep's ever played him that role or any other FM Man City manager 

What I'm getting at – let's say your 'perfect' tactic needs a DLF as the last piece of the puzzle. But you don't have someone suitable for the DLF role at all. You have a really good poacher, though. Would it be better to play a poacher even when it's not a good fit for the tactic, or to use the player as a DLF although he's no good at it?

Edited by Footix

49 minutes ago, Footix said:

What I'm getting at – let's say your 'perfect' tactic needs a DLF as the last piece of the puzzle. But you don't have someone suitable for the DLF role at all. You have a really good poacher, though. Would it be better to play a poacher even when it's not a good fit for the tactic, or to use the player as a DLF although he's no good at it?

Neither option sounds like a good choice, tbh. That isn't a slight compromise but changing the tactic or using an unsuitable player. If I was in that position, I'd look toward using someone more suitable there, since the tactic is already 'perfect'. I'd look for a  possible AML/C/R type player who could fill that role. Any player with the right (or better than the Poacher's) attributes, really. 

Might be an idea to open a new thread if you want to discuss this in more detail.

hace 2 horas, Johnny Ace dijo:

Players. They need the attributes & PPMS to carry out the role you give them. You set your roles then because they have one or two low or high attributes which means they're more suitable for another role is just that. You just need to make sure you have the players with the right attributes for the role you give them & what you want them to do. ie you wouldn't want a playmaker with terrible composure & the "shoots from distance"  PPM but you might might have a player with great playmaker attributes the "dictates tempo" PPM but he's rated best a ballwinning midfielder

Like I was was watching  a video last night & noticed Kyle Walker's most suitable role was FB defend. I doubt Pep's ever played him that role or any other FM Man City manager 

It surprises me how often I forget how extremely important the attributes are. Is one of the only things that are there since the first edition of the game. That has to mean something :lol: 

3 minutes ago, bosque said:

It surprises me how often I forget how extremely important the attributes are. Is one of the only things that are there since the first edition of the game. That has to mean something :lol: 

Absolutely, PPMs too, they shape a player's playstyle & sortof hint at the roles you could use them for (unless it's a terribly random PPM). Like a big strong striker with "plays with his back to goal" would be great as a DLF or a TM rather than a AF or Poacher but again, it could be used to add a different dimension to the role  

3 saat önce, Johnny Ace said:

I played him as WBd on FM20 with sit narrower. A better role than FBd for me. Does it count? :onmehead:

5 hours ago, Footix said:

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Neither option sounds like a good choice, tbh. That isn't a slight compromise but changing the tactic or using an unsuitable player. If I was in that position, I'd look toward using someone more suitable there, since the tactic is already 'perfect'. I'd look for a  possible AML/C/R type player who could fill that role. Any player with the right (or better than the Poacher's) attributes, really. 

Might be an idea to open a new thread if you want to discuss this in more detail.

Just to elaborate a little on hunt3r's post, you're theorising.  You won't know until you try.  Any player can play any role, they'll just play it differently compared to other players.

He may be "better" on paper as a Poacher but to say he's "no good as a DLF" unless you actually try him as such is just guesswork.  You may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.  I seem to remember @Cleon playing a fullback as a striker a little while ago to demonstrate just that.

Anyway, in answer to the original question:

6 hours ago, Footix said:

Neither.  How they combine together (and with the rest of your system) is what's important.  For example, why give a wingback an attack duty if he already has the Trait to get forward often?  You can of course, but do you need to within the scope of your system?  And you won't know the answer to that until you try :thup:.

I feel like my IF(a) is too selfish with the ball. Off the ball his movement is fine, he makes runs when he can and we he cant he tries to makes himself available to receive a pass on feet. This I like. What I dont like is him running with the ball in a diagonal for the longest time, ending in the opposite side, delivering a long shot to Africa. 

Im afraid on support duty he wont try to make enough runs off the ball. I was thinking about changing his roles to Iw(a) or Rmd. Basically I want an IF(a) but smarter on the ball.

What was the most attacking formation you had seen on opposition in a match that surprised you? 

I had used 3-4-2-1 with SVs-DLPs dm partnership behind AMa-AMs partnership when trying to replicate Tuchel/Chelsea’s strong team defence. One of the opposition teams as I remember Valencia AI, had started the match with a 4-1-2-3 with 1 CM-2AMC-3ST.

1 hour ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

I feel like my IF(a) is too selfish with the ball. Off the ball his movement is fine, he makes runs when he can and we he cant he tries to makes himself available to receive a pass on feet. This I like. What I dont like is him running with the ball in a diagonal for the longest time, ending in the opposite side, delivering a long shot to Africa. 

Im afraid on support duty he wont try to make enough runs off the ball. I was thinking about changing his roles to Iw(a) or Rmd. Basically I want an IF(a) but smarter on the ball.

What's his teamwork like? IF(A) is a pretty offensive role, I used an IF(S) on a Positive team mentality & his individual mentality is Very Attacking 

Il y a 7 heures, Johnny Ace a dit :

What's his teamwork like? IF(A) is a pretty offensive role, I used an IF(S) on a Positive team mentality & his individual mentality is Very Attacking 

I dont really remember. I'm not able to play the game until next monday unfortunately. Will try to let you know if I remember !

1 hour ago, stopazricky said:

Do player traits affect attributes? As in, having too many or teaching one more will decrease player attributes? Will removing one increase some of them? Or are they just unrelated?

Player Traits don't take up CA, so no.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Player Traits don't take up CA, so no.

Is the phrase “take up CA” really correct?
This suggests that a player has a particular CA and this is then distributed amongst his attributes to determine their values. So the CA is the starting point, from which attributes are determined. 

But posts from Devs on here suggest that the starting point is the attributes themselves. They are starting point and the CA is simply the weighted average of those attributes?

25 minutes ago, CAE82 said:

Is the phrase “take up CA” really correct?
This suggests that a player has a particular CA and this is then distributed amongst his attributes to determine their values. So the CA is the starting point, from which attributes are determined. 

But posts from Devs on here suggest that the starting point is the attributes themselves. They are starting point and the CA is simply the weighted average of those attributes?

It’s just a figure of speech.  Attributes do indeed drive CA.

What is the difference between Focus Play and Width? Is focussing play down the flanks with a narrow width the same as focusing play down the middle but wide width? If I'm not wrong, focus play has changed somewhat in FM21, yes? Instead of increasing mentality in the desired positions, it now does what it says on the tin and increases the number of passes into the area of focus? But I always thought that width did that, a wider width would see more passes to wide players and narrow to central players.

Edited by wingwangwong

1 hour ago, wingwangwong said:

a wider width would see more passes to wide players

That's correct you are asking your players to look out wide first for options, however, it also increases the distance between your players and focus play doesn't do that 

4 hours ago, wingwangwong said:

What is the difference between Focus Play and Width? Is focussing play down the flanks with a narrow width the same as focusing play down the middle but wide width? If I'm not wrong, focus play has changed somewhat in FM21, yes? Instead of increasing mentality in the desired positions, it now does what it says on the tin and increases the number of passes into the area of focus? But I always thought that width did that, a wider width would see more passes to wide players and narrow to central players.

Width = horizontal spreading / stretching of your players

focus play = focusing passes (and the build up) into that area.

It’s not necessary, but can make sense to align the width with your focus play.